Other Metagames [MONOTYPE] Hyper Offensive Psychic!

All I Want for Christmas is Mew!

The Team at a Glance

How The Team Came To Be...

I decided to create this "ungeneric" psychic team because I had played alot with the common balanced psychic, and laddering with it wasn't really much fun, since it seemed to bulky for me to really have to make any plays or feel any real pressure, which was what made laddering and playing monotype exciting to me, and I also wanted to try out for a league that I thought was pretty cool, and thats why I decided that I would attempt to create a fun, ungeneric psychic team that played fairly well against its weaknesses, and could still deal with it's resistances aswell. And yes, this was about 6 months ago, and I only decided to do a RMT on it now, so shame on me xD. Anyway, lets get to explaining the team.

The Squad

RIP SANIC (Deoxys-Speed) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

I decided to use Deoxys-Speed since it's access to both spikes and stealth rock is amazing, as well as taunt to stop any other hazard setter leads. Deoxys' role on the team is simple, get up hazards and maybe some chip damage, and then die. With it's amazing speed stat, deoxys-s also allows me to outspeed and beat almost all other leads aside from magic bounce users, such as espeon. Superpower is to weaken other mons before this thing dies, so that they can go down to another member of my team's attacks, and it also lets me severely damage the likes of any ice/steel types coming in, especially excadrill's on the switch from hippowdon, and with my 144 attack stat deoxys has a 50% chance of OHKO'ing exca on the switch after just 1 spike, which is great since my team is very weak to being swept by excadrill. Knock Off is used in order to punish any leads/pokemon that try to come in on/stay in on deoxys-speed, and it really helps me deal with alot of scarfers or other mons that otherwise have the ability to tear through my team, such as scarf excadrill and scarf tini, or LO Excadrill and Eviolite Doublade.

There Is No Spoon (Alakazam) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock

I decided to use alakazam because of it's amazing movepool and access to many different moves, aswell as it having an amazingly high speed stat and a pretty "modest" special attack stat. It's my only sash user that I try to keep alive, incase of potential setup sweepers, as with access to magic guard, it's a guaranteed sash and that helps this team alot more than you may think, especially against the likes of bisharp + volcarona, although focus blast isn't always the most reliable of moves. Right now, a timid nature lets me outspeed threats such as keldeo and scarf tyranitar, however a modest nature lets me hit harder and do alot more damage to volcarona, which I do have a very bad problem with.

Drop The Mic (Meloetta) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 44 SpA / 212 SpD
Calm Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock

I decided to use meloetta because I really needed a normal type in order to deal with sweeping/scarf ghost mons, such as aegislash/doublade and gengar. It also deals with pretty much any special attacker that wants to come in on it, and with it's assault vest, pretty much no special attacker can deal with meloetta 1v1. Because this was my go-to ghost counter alot of the time, I gave it shadow ball in order to hit them hard, dazzling gleam to deal with the annoying mega-sableye that want to come in on it, and also charge beam that can allow it to beat calm mind mega sableye and setup so that it can OHKO mons the other team that I couldn't usually deal with, such as weakness policy aegislash. and with Focus Blast, meloetta can really punish common SpD walls that want to come in on it, such as heatran, opposing Meloetta, and Tyranitar, and it also just lets me hit alot of mons aot harder, and with fighting being one of the best coverage types in the game, a super strong fighting type move is always nice to have on any pokemon.

Mew Gusta (Mew) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Vacuum Wave
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

I decided to use mew as I needed another versatile special attacker to check what alakazam could not, and mew was the perfect option for me because of severel reasons. First of all, this mew can get the suprise on people alot of times, such as people who send in bisharp and use knock off expecting a will-o wisp, or people who send in scizor to try and get off some SD's, or ferro coming in to get up some "free" hazards, and yeah the suprise factor does help alot more than you may think, since with it's versatile and unexpected moveset it can hit pretty much anything it wants to super effectively, bar a few exceptions. Mew's expert belt was given to it instead of a life orb as 1. It helps bluff that it's not 4 attacks mew, and 2. The unnecessary LO damage on mew is not needed, as sometimes just 10% extra on mew helps me live an attack. It's ability synchronize also helps me if another mon, such as sableye or any bulky toxic user, wants to use a status move, allowing me to chip away at bulk without having to waste a moveslot on status. Also, having Vacuum Wave on Mew really helps me revenge kill mons that mew comes in on, and also really helps me deal with the giant threat of Bisharp that looms over alot of psychic type teams, as I have a 50% chance to OHKO reg Bisharp after rocks, which puts it in range of Fake Out and/or Bullet Punch from medicham, if I do happen to get the lower side of the roll. And yes, as you can tell by the long-ish description, mew is the center of this team, as it deals with pretty much anything.

V for Vanguard (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Blue Flare

I decided to use victini since it's with it's signature move of V-create and the added Bolt Strike, victini packs a massive punch, and can deal massive damage to whatever it wants to (you can also play around with predictions if you expect a water type to come in on a v-create, as you can use bolt strike, and vice versa), so it's an amazing stall-breaker for this team and pretty much a nuke when it's sent out xD. Also, it's psychic/bug typing helps it to take any bug moves that the rest of the team cannot, and then pretty much kill/weaken any bug it wants to with v-create, and with it's 100 base stats all around, it can take a few hits that you may not expect a fully offensive mon to do. It was given a choice scarf since it is my offensive pivot, and although it can take a few hits, it main job is to outspeed a mon, do some damage, and get back out before it gets hurt. U-turn is there for momentum for the team, and to hit any dark types, especially the likes of the notorious hoopa-u, and zen headbutt is there for STAB and the extra flinch chance is also pretty nice hehe. and the Blue Flare allows me to deal with mono bug teams very easily, as it OHKO's most of the mons that Bug usually carries, bar a few exceptions like shuckle and armaldo, as it is an easily spammable STAB move that doesn't carry the downsides of stat drops, unlike V-Create, which forces me to switch out alot.

Baggy Pants (Medicham-Mega) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

I decided to use mega-medicham as I needed a hard-hitting mega on my team, and out of the 3 mega's that I looked at, mega medicham was by far the most offensive of them all, and therefore I chose it to top my hyper offensive team. Mega-medicham, despite most of the time only being used because of it's spammable hjk, can play alot of roles in my team, as not only does it kill ANY normal pokemon and alot of other pokemon in 1 or almost 1 hit, it also allows me to revenge kill mons with the priority combination of fake out + bullet punch (which also lets me hit fairies hard, especially the likes of mega diancie), and take some dark/bug type moves that the rest of the team cannot, due to it's amazing psychic/fighting typing. However, yes, most of the time when it comes on, I am just going to spam HJK or Zen Headbutt and nuke other pokemon xD, and because of this fact, it can actually sweep teams late game, which is exactly what I wanted this thing to do. The jolly nature was used, instead of adamant, so I could outspeed the likes of normal excadrill and other base 100 speed pokemon that don't +speed natures, and mega medicham does not need any more attack investment in my opinion, since it OHKO's what I need it to already, being the monster that it is.

Conclusion

So, after learning how to use this team efficiently and play very well with it, it has turned out to be a very good team that can handle alot of common types on the ladder, such as steel, ground, and dragon, despite being ungeneric and not having many reliable walls, however, it is still susceptible to some teams, such as bulky fly w/Scarf Lando-T, and bulky stall water, and this is why I decided to do this RMT, so hopefully you guys can help patch up some of this team's weaknesses! Feel free to use it as much as you would like, the importable for it is down below.

Dark Teams (lol)
Scarf Terrakion
Scarf Landorus-Therian
D-Dance Mega-Gyarados

RIP SANIC (Deoxys-Speed) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

There Is No Spoon (Alakazam) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock

Drop The Mic (Meloetta) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 44 SpA / 212 SpD
Calm Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock

Mew Gusta (Mew) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Vacuum Wave
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

V for Vanguard (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Blue Flare

Baggy Pants (Medicham-Mega) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Last edited:

Trichotomy

is a Tiering Contributoris a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
MPL Champion
Hi Gentleman Tech, cool team you have here. I have a couple suggestions that will hopefully make your team better.

First off, I'd suggest Aura Sphere --> Vacuum Wave on Mew. Once Alakazam takes damage your team just loses to Bisharp, bar making incredible predictions with medicham. Vacuum Wave has a 56.3% chance to OHKO Bisharp after Stealth Rocks, putting it in range of Medicham's Fake Out.

Second, I'd recommend changing Deoxys-Speed to 252 Speed, changing attack to 0 Attack EVs and IVs, and replacing Superpower --> Thunder Wave. Although this may make you more Excadrill weak, it helps against most other types. Also, Thunder Wave is the best move in the game.

Third, I'd recommend, on Victini, Zen Headbutt --> Blue Flare. Your team has enough Psychic STAB, and this helps you more easily deal with bug without the speed loss from V-Create.

Finally, I'd recommend Charge Beam --> Focus Blast on Meloetta. Even though Charge Beam has a 100% chance to raise your special attack, you don't really need the coverage nor the special attack boosts. Focus Blast is invaluable against Dark and Steel, two types that your team least enjoys facing.

tl;dr
Aura Sphere --> Vacuum Wave

Superpower --> Thunder Wave

Zen Headbutt --> Blue Flare

Charge Beam --> Focus Blast

Hope these changes helped :)

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I'd like to build off some of the suggestions that Contort has given you.

I'd actually suggest putting Knock Off > Superpower on Deoxys, as it can really help out a lot against lead Choice Scarf users such as Landorus-T and opposing Victini, and can give you an easier matchup against them. This being said, the Spread should be change to 248 HP / 24 Atk / 236 Spe with a Jolly nature, to outspeed up to Choice Scarf Garchomp, and get some more damage behind a Knock Off.

I agree with the change to Vacuum Wave on Mew, but think it could also be worthwhile to try out Nasty Plot > one of the coverage moves because you lack a late-game sweeper on your team.

From there, the rest of Contort's suggestions are pretty spot on. Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestions Contort and Twix! I have made some changes to the team according to all of the suggestions after I tried them out on the ladder, and i'll add them to my thread and address them here.
  1. I have decided to use Vacuum Wave > Aura Sphere on Mew, as it helps revenge kill alot of mons and does, as contort pointed out, help deal with the giant threat of bisharp that loomed over my previous team, and it has really worked out well while I was testing it out.
  2. I have decided to use Blue Flare > Zen Headbutt on Victini, as while testing it out, it made playing bug alot easier, as it can clean ohko most mons that bug carries, with the exception of armaldo and shuckle which can both be dealt with easily by other means. Because of this change, I have changed Victini's Nature to Naive, in order to get a better damage output on blue flare, which helps me ensure the OHKO on most bugs.
  3. Although this one hurts me quite a bit, as I have grown used to charge beam and what it brings to the table, but after laddering for quite a bit with this new set, putting focus blast on melo really helps me punish common SpD walls that are weak to FB, such as heatran, opposing meloetta, and tyranitar. So yes, I have decided to use Focus Blast > Charge Beam on Meloetta.
  4. After testing out all 3 variations of Deoxys-Speed, the variation that I liked best ended up being Twix's EV Spread with Knock Off, so Deoxys-Speed's EV's have been changed to 248 HP/24 Atk/236 Spe, and the fourth move has been replaced for Knock Off > Superpower. The reason that I decided to use twix's set over contort's and mine was because I really enjoyed Knock off, as it allowed me to punish any mons that come in or stay in on deoxys, and the extra speed in combination with knock off allowed me to save deoxys-speed, in order to allow it to knock off a scarf user or life orb user that otherwise destroys the rest of my team, and though thunder wave was useful in some situations, alot of the time it didn't help to much or even be used, since alot of leads in the current meta are either part electric/ground, such as Lando-T, Zapdos, Garchomp, Hippowdon, etc., and while superpower was helpful for those pesky steel types, knock off still helped me alot more in nearly all situations.
Sidenote: To Twix, I decided to keep all of my coverage moves on mew over nasty plot, as after testing it out, alot of the time mew had to switch out after it has dealt with what it needs to, and therefore most of the time it dos not get to use the nice stat boosts that nasty plot brings, and also, all of my coverage mons have turned out to be useful for mew, as flamethrower helps deal with bugs and ferrothorn, ice beam helps deal with dragonite and Lando-T and Gliscor, and Thunderbolt helps hit any water types that otherwise mew cannot really touch.

Another big thanks to Contort and Twix for the suggestions, I feel that my team has alot less trouble laddering now that I can deal with more threats/walls that previously stopped my tam straight it in it's tracks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)