Gen 7 [Monotype] Normal Evio-Defense

Hey, guess who's back again...yep. After discovering that I don't completely suck at competitive, I'm deciding to do another RMT: partly to show my ideas, partly to look for feedback. This is my second team, focused around a defensive core of Porygon2 and Chansey. (I gave them nicknames now, based on my showdown name, the_foo. These are...my foo fighters. Sorry for cringy nicknames.)

FooFighter:REEEEEEEEEEEE (Staraptor) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
This is my pivot pokemon, which also conveniently functions as a nuke. Intimidate in conjunction with a flying type helps check many scarfed/banded fighting types, who proceed to get demolished by Brave Bird. Close Combat is basically required, and U-turn strengthens Staraptor's role as a pivot/revenge killer. I chose to run Defog, as I chose to not run entry hazards, and this was my only way of getting rid of them. Life Orb and a Jolly nature help increase both power and speed (and besides, it's not like Staraptor is gonna stay around). Still, it struggles against faster electrics, such as Tapu Koko, and especially Ice shard. Staraptor is a great defense against fighting types, however, I was wondering if I should run a more defensive set (with roost), or if I should swap Intimidate for Reckless, for even more power.

FooFighter:Addict (Porygon-Z) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Thunderbolt

I've noticed a severe lack of special sweepers for the normal type, and I noticed my own lack of a Z-move user. Porygon-Z helps break through physical walls, and provides excellent coverage. I obviously ran a Z-Conversion set for that delicious omniboost (how original), with my first move being Shadow Ball, changing my type to ghost to counter slower fighting and other normal types and punish bad prediction. Boltbeam is too good to pass up, and it helps against Gliscor, Landorus-T, Garchomp, Skarmory, and especially Celesteela. Download is especially helpful against physical walls and further improves sweeping potential. The EVs and item are self-explanatory. What Porygon-Z really struggles with is fast fighting types, especially Mega-Lopunny, and Mach Punch. Toxapex can also haze away Z-Conversion and proceed to wall the hell out of Porygon-Z. I think this set is optimal for my team, as it provides essential coverage and counters scarfed fighting types.

FooFighter:Rehab (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Foul Play

The first part of my defensive Porygon2-Chansey core. I obviously chose physically defensive, since it perfectly compliments Chansey's special bulk. Trace lets Porygon2 sometimes switch in for free with correct prediction, even getting healed with Volt/Water Absorb. Toxic and Recover are the cornerstones of a defensive set, which has the shocking potential of walling many physical attackers and even fighting types. I chose to run Hidden Power Fire to handle Scizor and other steels, and Foul Play to handle setup sweepers. Eviolite and Bold nature are self-explanatory. The lack of a ground or psychic type means that Porygon2 can itself get walled by Poison types, which can only theoretically be handled by tracing a Salazzle's Corrosion. Special attacks and being badly poisoned are a no-go, but Chansey can handle both. I'm thinking of modifying the two attacking moves, but HPFire and Foul Play are key to Porygon2.

FooFighter:DeBlock (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

(Named after Maggie DeBlock, the Belgian Health Minister.) Chansey perfectly compliments Porygon2's physical bulk and weakness to status, forming the essential defensive core. Toxic, Soft-Boiled, and Seismic Toss are the bread and butter of any decent Chansey. I chose to run Aromatherapy over Stealth Rock since Staraptor runs Defog, I have plenty of counters for bug, fire, flying, and ice, and my other mons, particularly Porygon-Z, are really vulnerable to status. Eviolite and Natural Cure are yet again self-explanatory, as well as EVs and nature. Of course, Chansey also struggles against Poison and Steel, but Porygon2 can help with the latter, and a shocking amount of physical moves OHKO. Celesteela is the worst counter, given leech seed and its steel type. Not really much else to say, other than Aromatherapy has been really helpful, and I wouldn't dream of running Stealth Rock.

FooFighter:Lola (Lopunny) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Shiny: Yes
Hidden Power: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick

The MVP. I chose Lopunny over Pidgeot for coverage, and Lopunny has been pulling its weight. Fake Out is excellent for revenge killing Mach Punch users like Breloom, Power-Up Punch can break walls that don't run haze/phaze, and High Jump Kick and Return kill a shocking amount of the meta, coupled with Scrappy. Jolly nature allows Lopunny to boost its surprisingly incredible speed, Limber is ran before mega and allows it to not be paralyzed on the switch, and Lopunnite is obviously needed. Lopunny can get walled by unexpected Protect users, and gets counters by bulky/faster hurricane users (Mega Pidgeot and Pelipper), as well as Fairy and Psychic types. I've ran Encore before, but replaced it with Fake Out. Encore can theoretically counter Toxapex, however, it isn't really useful as other Pokemon can just switch and waste my turn. I'm considering running Thunder Punch over Fake Out for Celesteela and Flying types; however, Fake Out provides critical priority that I just noticed the team lacks.

FooFighter:no u (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Shiny: Yes
Hidden Power: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 0 Spe
- Transform

My answer to setup sweepers; an unoriginal Ditto. The set is self-explanatory, so the execution is really what matters. Ditto can switch in on setup sweepers and outspeed via scarf. This is especially useful against Moxie/Beast Boost, stealing the other team's momentum, and Megas, since they can't run Scarf and essentially give my team 2 megas. Of course, Ditto is essentially useless against walls, and hates poison/paralysis, and other choice scarf users create a speed tie that runs down to luck. Ditto should also be careful of which move it chooses, since the other team basically knows Ditto is almost always scarfed, and can switch in a type immune to my last move, forcing a switch and stopping momentum. However, in the monotype format where all Pokemon share a type, Ditto has saved my ass more times than I can count.

Team counters:
Priority: Fake out is my only priority move, leaving me very open to an SD Scizor or Breloom sweep. Of course, Ditto can help somewhat, but none of my other members learn priority.
Steel: Especially in the form of Heatran or Celesteela, who can't be poisoned and give the other team a win-con if their respective counters have been removed.
Toxapex: Good God that piece of spiky sh*t. Porygon-Z would counter it, but if I don't do over half after Z-Conversion, it can Haze and stall my entire team. I also can't set up Z-Conversion, obviously. If I get a Special Attack boost from Download, coupled with Z-Conversion and some luck, I can potentially 2HKO or even OHKO Toxapex, but that's situational.
Fighting: Especially fast priority users. Staraptor and Ditto are my best options for them.
Stally Poison teams: Can't be poisoned and outwall my team.
A lack of Taunt: Not a lot of normals learn Taunt, and those who do are usually unviable. However, Taunt would help against a lot of counters and checks, not to mention other taunt users.
Toxic Spikes (if Staraptor is fainted): 1 layer is an annoyance for my sweepers, 2 layers cripple my entire team.

I'm sure there's more counters, but let's move on.
Potential other team members:

Smeargle: I used to run a suicide lead Smeargle with SR, Sticky Web, Spore, and Nuzzle, sashed ofc. However, given that Staraptor runs Defog, I chose to drop Smeargle.

Snorlax: I was inspired facing a Gluttony Curse-Recycle berry A-Muk who set up on my entire team. Snorlax ran Curse and Recycle, with Gluttony and an Iapapa berry to provide a win-con in some situations, and ran Facade to counter Paralysis and Burn, and Fire Punch for Celesteela and other threats. I ran a mixed-defensive, but given that I had already formed my defensive core and how vulnerable Snorlax is to poison, I sadly dropped it.

Mega Pidgeot: My original mega, I can't remember what set, but it was unoriginal (hurricane, heat wave, etc). Provided key special attack and speed.

Meloetta: Better against fighting types with its Psychic type, but it is hard to use.

Diggersby: A nasty Quick Attack with Huge Power can revenge kill, and Earthquake is good coverage, but otherwise it's pretty slow.

Feedback and advice appreciated, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)