Project Monotype PotW #13: North

Cam

The Colby Covington Of Smogon
is a Tiering Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Approved by Eien
Taken over from KevinElf

(Credit to Seo. for the banner)

During this project, I will be interviewing some of the most influential players in Monotype today whether it be based on their exceptional contribution to the metagame or their outstanding performance in tours. If anyone has suggestions on who should be interviewed next, feel free to PM me your ideas.
This week we have a Monotype veteran, being part of the tier for many years and being a well known BW player

North

Tell us a little about yourself, Where are you from and how long have you been playing Pokemon.
I’m from Long Island New York, going into my freshman year of college at the University at Buffalo for Computer Science. I first started playing Pokemon with Diamond and Pearl around 2008, but only started playing competitively around 2012/13.

What do you outside of smogon and PS?
Outside of Pokemon I enjoy playing tons of other video games, ranging from platform fighters like Brawlhalla to just about every roguelite I see on steam. I also love finding old comedy shows like Sifl and Olly or Moral Orel and binge watching them in a week.

Why and when did you join Showdown?
I have a habit of going through old games I have nostalgia and trying to get as competitive as I can with them, so when I came back to pokemon around 2012 I started looking up competitive pokemon videos on youtube. This led me through the whole rabbit hole of evs, ivs, and breeding. I think I was trying to figure out how to make a good battle tower team for Soul Silver when I came across a youtube video with a guy playing Pokemon on an online simulator that I eventually learned was Showdown.

What brought you to Monotype when you did join?
When I first started going on Showdown I was a regular in the Trivia room for whatever reason. One day someone linked the old Frost server for a tournament. This was back when Frost was the only place you could go for a scripted tournament, so of course I was intrigued. This was also when what would become the standard “bucks” system we see on every side server was just being implemented on Frost. Now ultra-competitive me of course wanted as many bucks as possible, so I made sure to join every tournament I could see. Leagues were of course of staple on side servers so plenty of monotype tournaments were happening. After that I got “recruited” into what would become Imperium, and the rest is history.

What's your favourite type to use in mono and why?
Has to go to the one type I solely used for a good 3 years in leagues, fighting. I just always enjoyed using offense, so I just gravitated towards using the most offensive type out there.

You are known for being a great BW mono player. Why do you play BW and is it your favourite tier to play?
I started playing BW when it was the current gen back in 2013, so I had a decent memory of the tier itself. That being said, I didn’t pick it back up until MPL 1 purely because nobody played it after XY came out. I guess I gravitated towards playing BW during MPL 1 because I had a pseudo-nostalgia for the tier itself. Nowadays I really enjoy it mostly because of offensive the tier is in general, not seeing the same fat cores every staple type has.

You're not seen playing much of SM Monotype, what are your thoughts on the new meta and are you interested in playing it?
I really don’t know much at all about the SM meta as a whole seeing as I never really play it. When SM first came out I was leaning more towards learning VGC, so I don’t have much grasp of any SM metagame for that matter. While I’ve definitely considered playing Smogon singles again, I’m gravitating more towards re-learning OU right now.

You've been a part of the mono community a long time, how do you feel the community has changed and do you think it's for the better
Really the only comparison I can make with the old mono community and the new one is that they both still play monotype. The old mono community was 100% league based, and every single good mono player was competing under a league. The same league-based monotype has never really been the same after Frost died, and especially is dead ever since the creation of the mono forums. It’s difficult to say whether things are better or worse nowadays. On one hand, the amount of skill in the community has greatly increased ever since the creation of the forums, but on the other the amount of elitism has made just as much progress. It’s been made so much more difficult for newer players to be known without the weekly competition between top players that leagues provided.

You had a great season in MPL and your team managed to make it to playoffs. How did you find this MPL and did you enjoy it?
MPL this year was great for me. The amount of competitive discussion that’s been generated between members is unprecedented for my experience in MPL. Unfortunately it didn’t really end how I wanted to, but making playoffs for the first time in my MPL career was great.

Are you planning to continue playing and participate in MWP or next MPL?
I’ll come back to play in any mono tournament as long as BW is in it. (Eien )

Who has made an impression on you as a new player recently, any up and coming players that stand out to you?
I’ll be honest when I say I don’t pay as much as attention to the mono tiers outside of BW. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone consistently BW this year that I don’t already know as either a somewhat skilled player or Zarif.

Who are some of the favourite people you've met over your time on PS?
Sabella and DM (Freeroamer) are both guys I could talk to for hours about tournaments and competitive Pokemon with. Outside of Pokemon, brother Croven, Jyph, and Endal are all guys I enjoy either playing other games with, or just talking about irl stuff.

Could you give a team you think represents your playstyle and a brief overview on how to use it?
Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Facade
- Night Slash

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- High Jump Kick

The general idea of this BW mono team was to have a pseudo volt-turn core that brings in some heavy breakers. Scarf Mienshao loves to bring in fat psychic like Slowbro, thus allowing Heracross to nuke something. Same thing goes for Cobalion and Keldeo, just this time you’re gonna need to hard switch out on the ground types instead of volting.

This concludes my interview with North. Thanks to him for taking the time to answer all these questions with such detail. If anyone has any questions they would like to ask North feel free to post them in this thread!​

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
when are u coming to atlanta to meet ur older brother
why are u worse than me at programming
why is my hair better than urs
why do i not have ur insta yet
;w;

Reactions: Cam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)