Morality and Intelligence

Except gametes by themselves do nothing and they need to be fertilized before they start leeching nutrients and growing. I think the key word here is fertilized - that's where life begins :P
Gametes are developed in the parents' reproductive organs, and for the large part are nourished by the organs in order to survive long enough to reach fertilization. While there are obviously differences between the development of both types of cells (before and after fertilization), there are large similarities.

That's probably a better question - I would probably argue yes, according to the statements given by obi. (I would personally be for this too - then again I softreset for IVs all the time)please dont shoot me
lol I said lol and I mean it. Does this make me a troll?

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
People with Down's Syndrome are significantly more intelligent than octopuses.

Off topic but I wanted to say that.

Have a nice day.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Then it follows that abortion prior to conception (i.e.: not consumating) is also unethical. A sperm and egg have the potential to become human, just as much as a fetus does.
Are you implying that not creating babies when we have the potential to do so it unethical? Applying the word abortion to abstinence or contraceptives is simply bad use of language.

Are you implying that not creating babies when we have the potential to do so it unethical? Applying the word abortion to abstinence or contraceptives is simply bad use of language.
I personally don't believe so, but I was making the point that the point of fertilization is really not a major change. That to draw a line there is not a lot better than to draw the line at an arbitrary point before or after.

Following Obi's example of the mentally disabled, it is reasonable not to defend a lower life form like a snail or rat simply because of the abundance of said organisms and the rate at which they multiply, as well as the fact that they are both a form of pestilence in themselves.
Humans are abundant, proliferating, and seeing what we do to our planet and each other, let's face it, we're a damn nuisance as well. I could slaughter many humans for a much more positive effect than killing rats or snails.

But a mentally disabled human, first and foremost, is still much more intelligent that any lower life forms.
Depends what is meant by "lower life form". I would argue that the smartest chimpanzee, crow or elephant is smarter than most retarded people in many relevant aspects. Heck, I'd argue that they are probably smarter than the dumbest non-retarded humans. It's silly to assume that all humans are smarter than all members of other species. While it is probably true for the most part, I'll be damned if there isn't overlap.

We cannot be biased negatively simply because any particular disabled person is not up to par with the average person in intelligence or development.
Why not? They are useless. At least most animals can fend for themselves.

Another reason it is morally right to care for the mentally disabled is simply because we can.
That's your argument? Are you serious?

No other species can care for and recognize in such a way that we can, the mental disabilities or malformities of another human being.
That is unsubstantiated. Elephants have been shown to care not only for their disabled (and deceased) members, but also for other species such as antelopes or humans. As I said before, the capabilities of humans and animals overlap, probably more than most people would be willing to accept. If you care for a mentally disabled human, then you should, at the very least, care for the most intelligent of chimpanzees, crows, elephants or other species besides ourselves that are currently recognized as the most intelligent of the animal kingdom, because they are most probably smarter than your retard and are easily more moral than the non-negligible number of humans that are scum.

That is, if intelligence is your criterion. I, for one, do not embarrass myself with arbitrary criteria. If an animal is delicious we'll eat it, if an animal is a pet we'll protect it, if we are impressed by an animal's intelligence and have qualms about killing or eating it then we'll protect it. It's all about appearances, really.

You cannot create a lumped morality based on similarities, but rather use your INTELLIGENCE to create a morality for a general situation while refining it relative to situations.
That's not going to work either. There is no guiding principle for morality. You can't use intelligence to create a general morality and/or to refine it, because there is no frame of reference relative to which you could do it. Are you trying to maximize global happiness? Minimize global unhappiness? What entities are eligible for rights, protections, etc. and on what grounds? Intelligence? Self-awareness? The capacity for feeling pain? Being alive? A combination of all of these factors? Frankly, it's all pretty arbitrary.

An absolute morality is bound to fail when presented with new evidence and subjected to reason. In the times of the Old Testament it was good morality to stone adulterous women to death. Today it is just seen as assault, attempted murder, and just being a dick.
And in a thousand years we'll be back to stoning them, reminiscing these "weak ass 21st century pansies" who protected adulterous women from the punishment they deserved.

We are not above this.

Aeolus said:
My personal approach to the issue is that I don't know where to draw the line. Obviously, almost all reasonable people agree that abortion is unethical as the fetus makes its way through the birth canal. What about 10 minutes before that? Still unethical? 20 minutes before? Yeah, still pretty clearly unethical. Keep pushing it back... increment by increment. I don't know what threshold I could cross where I'd say "ok, now's it's alright to kill it!" The only safe bet, assuming you are interested in ethical behavior, is not to kill it. Admittedly, a baby is inconvenient many times, but I don't know any other way I can be consistent in my beliefs.
It is worthless reasoning to only consider one side of the threshold. Imagine a really large number. Subtract 1. Is it still large? Clearly. Subtract 1 again. I am pretty sure it's still large. Now, if you keep that line of reasoning, you'll conclude that 0 is a large number. But clearly, 0 is not large, it's small. If you had no idea whether 0 is large or small and no solid argument to determine which way to go, you could err on the side of caution and say it's large, not because of the argument from a large number (a terrible argument if I've ever seen any), but from being cautious about what you do not (and cannot) know, assuming "large" is the conservative position. However, if you know 0 is small, it would be lunacy to conclude that it is large from the argument you present.

The same goes here. It is clearly unethical to kill a baby as it makes its way through the birth canal. It is however clearly not unethical to kill a fetus right after conception because there is clear evidence that nothing magical happens at that point to make it so much more than its constituents. I am not an expert on the matter, but it seems fairly clear that a fetus doesn't have any interesting qualities in the first few weeks. Thus the "threshold" you are speaking of is after that point and before birth. It is quite possible that the threshold is arbitrary, but that does not mean we cannot give meaningful lower and upper bounds for it.

In a nutshell, your argument is that the threshold for large numbers is zero because you know a large number and you can't fathom where, exactly, the threshold between "small" and "large" might be located. Truth is, the location of the threshold between "small" and "large" is indeed arbitrary. But if there's a place it is not located at, it's zero.

The point is that when you try to measure "human-ness" (and therefore the right to live) by factors other than being genetically human, you find yourself in perilously deep waters very quickly that are filled with intellectual contradictions.
Considering the fact of evolution, I am skeptical that "genetically human" is a proper definition either. Imagine that "humanity" goes on for a billion years and that evolution splits the human genre into several species that cannot breed with each other. Then nobody is "genetically human", they just "have humans as a common ancestor". But we have common ancestors with chimpanzees too, so why don't they have the same rights as we do? What if one branch of humanity became immensely smarter than all the others (like, homo super-sapiens)? Clearly they would treat the others like we do chimpanzees and would give them lesser rights, even if the others were as smart as we are, even if the smartest "lesser humans" were smarter than the dumbest "higher humans" in some aspects (a fact which, in my opinion, stands true when comparing humans to chimpanzees).

The truth is, all measurements of the "right to live" are arbitrary, for a very simple reason: the right to live is arbitrary. Right now, it corresponds, more or less, to being "genetically human", but it was different in the past and it will be also different in the future. If it's your favorite definition of the right to live, enjoy living in the present I guess.

Tangerine said:
Except gametes by themselves do nothing and they need to be fertilized before they start leeching nutrients and growing. I think the key word here is fertilized - that's where life begins :P
The word "leech" is appropriate here. An organism that leeches resources from another without the host's consent is a parasite. I don't see why parasites should be protected. Although they also leech resources from society, disabled people are not parasites since society consents to their leeching. If it is impossible to move a parasite from an unwilling host to a willing host without killing it, it's a shame, but I would still favor the host.

The "potential" of an organism is also a weak argument. If a human has the right to life, it's because he or she is there right now and that the cost of replacing him or her is clearly greater than the cost of letting him or her live, not to mention the cost of the loss of him or her (mourning and possibly a loss of productivity) and the implications that terminating him or her would have on the status of other human beings. Consider performing abortion and then making a new baby five years later. The genetic potential is identical, the environment potential is arguably greater if the parents are ready. So the potential of this scenario is arguably superior to the potential of keeping the baby. The loss of the fetus will only affect the parents if they affect anyone, which is fine since it was their choice. Moreover, performing the abortion spares the woman the hardship of going through with an unwanted pregnancy. It seems that the only "downside" of abortion is the loss of an opportunity of life for some particular genetic configuration. I don't think that's a big deal.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Brain and billymills make the same point that drawing the line at conception does not make more sense than drawing it sometime after conception.

Brain, I like your analogy where you treated 0 as conception, but I'd tweak it slightly. Let's say I start with a large positive number (representing a human being, a very smart one) and I subtract one from it. It is still a large positive number... obviously a human being but maybe he is a little less smart (remember I subtracted 1). I continue that process over and over, eventually, I get to small numbers... yet they are still positive (human beings, but now they are ugly and can't even feed themselves). Notice, however, the qualitative change that occurs when I get to zero and not before that point. When I subtract that final point, my number changes and it is now non-positive. The fact that the first number was large isn't what mattered, it was the character and quality of that number being positive. I believe the same concept is readily applied to the current question. We are looking at a continuum of development (just like our number line), but we are trying to identify a discrete cutoff where there is a total difference between human and not human (the difference between positive and negative).

Also, I'm not going to apologize for living the present. I'm not a biologist, but I'm confident that science is readily able to tell us what beings are human and what beings are not. Perhaps the line was blurred millennia ago... and perhaps it will be again many years into the future... but I see no reason why I should allow such distant considerations to interfere with my thinking and ethical judgment today. At best, attempting to cite the fact of evolution as justification for abortion feels like an outlandish stretch.

I cannot imagine any reason why drawing the line at one trimester, would be better than 2 months, or 5 months into pregnancy. Obviously changes have taken place, and development has progressed... but if you are still going to use intelligence or general usefulness as the criteria, you might as well draw the line much later. The point of conception, however, marks the significant event. Prior to conception, the sperm and egg do nothing if not interfered with. After conception, assuming the base case, a human baby develops, is born, and grows to adulthood if not interfered with. Other than for convenience sake, I can't imagine why we would wish to draw the line later than I've proposed.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
RE: gametes vs. zygotes: Any reasonable person would conclude that consent to fornicate is consent to suffer the known and easily verifiable consequences of fornication. "Using protection" isn't a valid counterargument. Swim in a lake of leeches and then tell me you didn't see the bites coming.

After all, we don't give any lesser punishments to thieves who break into homes when the owners are away than we do to thieves who break in while the owners are asleep, despite the former option being safer for everyone involved. Minimizing the risk of an action does not imply immunity to that action's ultimate consequences.

Animals and humans are of a different kind to me. Common ancestry is irrelevant, as I retort that Darwin should have been kinder to species who clearly are superior to me at utilizing survival skills that my species' intelligence long ago destroyed the need for. Even still, I could probably develop a makeshift spear, a makeshift bow, and a makeshift axe provided the motivation and resources. It really isn't that difficult to survive when your species relies on weapons and traps instead of close combat and brute force. The chance I will suffer bodily harm attempting to bludgeon or slash something to death is much lower than the chance of bodily harm a would-be predator would suffer from attempting to bite or slash me while evading my weapon.

Therefore I have no problem treating humans different than animals. Humanity to me is special because as of this day it is unique. If some other species develops sufficient intelligence to hold a poignant conversation, I'll attribute them the protection I believe a species capable of complex language and abstract thought deserves, provided they aren't some kind of warlike jungle race ambling for a headshot by attempting to devour me.

Poaching of non-verminous species strikes me as wrong, however. We have developed sufficient technologies that killing everything in sight is not necessary or productive. Our societal problems are ones of distribution, not scarcity. We can leave well enough alone on the resources we already have without the need for exotic hunts of rare animals. We have reached a point where it is probably better for us to observe nature and discover its hidden qualities than to dominate it by force of arms.

In conclusion, I think that a separate morality for humans and animals is not only warranted but necessary. Everything in life has some benefit, some purpose that exists for humanity's gain. To be good stewards of our environment and to protect our own are merely logical extensions of this belief.

Brain, I like your analogy where you treated 0 as conception, but I'd tweak it slightly. Let's say I start with a large positive number (representing a human being, a very smart one) and I subtract one from it. It is still a large positive number... obviously a human being but maybe he is a little less smart (remember I subtracted 1). I continue that process over and over, eventually, I get to small numbers... yet they are still positive (human beings, but now they are ugly and can't even feed themselves). Notice, however, the qualitative change that occurs when I get to zero and not before that point. When I subtract that final point, my number changes and it is now non-positive.
Going from positive to non-positive is not any more significant than going from greater than two to lesser or equal to two. Any real number is the threshold of an arbitrary number of qualitative changes. It is true that some may be more useful than some others, but that's besides the point. The point is, "positive" and "negative" are typically defined as all the values that are above or below the threshold zero, respectively. You are not searching for zero, you already know what the threshold is.

The fact that the first number was large isn't what mattered, it was the character and quality of that number being positive. I believe the same concept is readily applied to the current question. We are looking at a continuum of development (just like our number line), but we are trying to identify a discrete cutoff where there is a total difference between human and not human (the difference between positive and negative).
You are not trying to identify anything. You start from the premise that what matters is some clear qualitative change that you have identified as unambiguously corresponding to conception. You had your answer before you even tried to find it. I believe we call this "begging the question". You should start with a more convincing argument that conception induces a change that we should give a shit about, because as it stands, I really don't give more of a shit about a fertilized egg than I care about sperm and ovule.

I'm not a biologist, but I'm confident that science is readily able to tell us what beings are human and what beings are not. Perhaps the line was blurred millennia ago... and perhaps it will be again many years into the future... but I see no reason why I should allow such distant considerations to interfere with my thinking and ethical judgment today.
That's besides the point. I'm just trying to put things into perspective here. If your reasoning for "right to live" only works in the present, it is not very robust and that detracts from the quality of the argument. A hypothetical argument that only the fittest existing living beings (e.g. apex predators) have the "right to live", while it seems more difficult to justify, does not fall apart temporally because of evolution.

Not to mention that there are many other ways your definition can be seriously tested in a not so distant future. For example, some unlikely mutation could occur to a human's child causing a quantum jump to biologically non-human status. Advances in AI could lead to a machine with human intelligence, clearly not biologically human, but perhaps deserving of rights. Advances in biology and eugenics could trigger an artificial "cambrian explosion" within our own species, where parents "customize" their children with genes from the whole animal kingdom, making the concept of "genetically human" completely irrelevant. Heck, a spaceship from an alien species from a distant galaxy could land on Earth. It seems to me that all of these technically non-human beings would be as deserving of rights as you or me and thus that "genetically human" is a rather weak, ad hoc criterion.

Let's put it this way: it seems obvious to me that being "genetically human" is not a necessary condition to having rights and I see no evidence that it is a sufficient condition. In fact, I would consider abortion as a counter-example to the position that being genetically human is a sufficient condition to having rights.

At best, attempting to cite the fact of evolution as justification for abortion feels like an outlandish stretch.
Indeed, but thankfully I don't think anybody did that.

I cannot imagine any reason why drawing the line at one trimester, would be better than 2 months, or 5 months into pregnancy.
There is no precise line to draw. What you do to draw the line is that you take the fetus at every point and then you decide whether it is "below the line", "above the line" or "I have no idea". At conception, it's clearly below the line. At birth, it's clearly above. From conception, you work up until you are not sure and then you cautiously put the line there.

Basically, you take the lowest time at which there is a scientific consensus that the fetus is not yet worthy of giving a shit about.

Obviously changes have taken place, and development has progressed... but if you are still going to use intelligence or general usefulness as the criteria, you might as well draw the line much later.
I might. But there would be riots. The convenience of abortion tends to wear off as time passes, though, so it's not a huge problem in practice anyway.

The point of conception, however, marks the significant event. Prior to conception, the sperm and egg do nothing if not interfered with. After conception, assuming the base case, a human baby develops, is born, and grows to adulthood if not interfered with. Other than for convenience sake, I can't imagine why we would wish to draw the line later than I've proposed.
Significance is subjective and there is no justification for placing the threshold at the only "significant" event that you see, especially in the face of evidence that it's a poor choice. You need to look at it rationally: ten seconds after conception, I'm sorry, but there's nothing there that warrants any kind of protection. It's a lump of cells with no body parts, no brain, certainly no self-awareness. It can do nothing without support from its host either. I don't care if conception is "significant" because if there is a line to draw it is not there. It makes no sense to draw the line at nine months and it makes no sense to draw it at conception. You know it is at neither places. It doesn't matter whether you don't know if the line should be drawn at two or three months, either is still better than drawing it at places you know it is not (and losing convenience in the process for no good reason).

In a nutshell: can I see the significance of conception? Yes. Do I care? No. I only care about a certain level of sophistication that can only be found later on, hence I find the conception threshold unsatisfactory.

A short response to the OP and not just the abortion argument unfolding, I think maybe you are looking at it from the wrong angle. The way I see it, it's not so much "how intelligent" as "how great the suffering." These two usually go hand in hand but it's easier not to leave out the mentally retarded if intelligence to you is a matter of rational thought.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Obi I must say I have very similar views. I agree with almost all of your points.

I would be ok with eating an octopus, but not a dog or monkey.

Possibly because they are mammals, monkeys are our roots as humans , and I like a lot of dogs.

Aeolus

Bag
Brain and I have no common ground on this particular issue. It is fruitless to debate abortion when we don't even agree on the nature of the value of human life. I wrote up an entire response to your latest post... but then anticipated your reply when I read my post from your point of view. There can be no agreement about the issue itself.

It may be more interesting to talk about the politics of the court that will decide it and whether or not that should be the case.... but that's a different topic. Obi, sorry for the abortion derail... I even knew it would happen.

To be honest I don't think that respecting the rights of the mentally disabled is so much a moral issue as a practical one. Humans do have different worths, whether you base this on intelligence or other factors, but accurately assessing them is very difficult, and is extremely dangerous to instituionalise (giving a state the power to decide which humans are valuable and how much each one is worth would almost certainly lead to disaster within a very short period of time). Because of these practical difficulties, we insist upon the rule of law, which must apply to all humans, even those that are to us obviously inferior.

If intelligence determines value, then it may well be wrong to eat octopi, although I would contest that their intelligence is no where near as complex and valuable as that of humans - they have shown no inclination to develop themselves or their species and have not been know to act dramatically outside their instincts, making this intelligence a mere animal cunning. Personally, I am happy to eat pretty much anything that isn't human, but this is based on a different morality: only human interactions give us power, so only humans need be protected.

Let us consider the arrival of an alien species which while displaying obvious intelligence of a similar kind to humans (i.e. self-awareness and self-determination and rational abilities) are also very tasty. The simplistic yet convenient "humans no, all other species are fine" maxim falls away here: by either of our measures, they are not to be hunted and eaten. This does however beg the question of where the line is to be drawn between clever pet and basic intelligent individual, but I believe that most of us posess sufficient imagination to percieve whether the qualities of human intelligence are sufficiently present to merit different treatment.

The abortion topic is annoying me slightly, which is partially due to incorrect statements remaining unchallenged. Firstly, many if not most (I am not certain of the exact number, but I know it to be a significant portion) zygotes are automatically aborted due to problematic genetics, so its growing up to be a child "if not interfered with" is nonsense. Likewise, the notion that this makes it immoral to interfere with it is also not based on anything at all. In fact, where crippling overpopulation is endemic, it may be more moral to prevent it being born at all.

Furthermore, gametes are alive. True, you will not form a child without fertilisation, buy you won't do so without meiosis or ovulation either. Does that make these processes sacred cutting off points as well? I fervently hope not, since that would imply that a woman ever having a period instead of becoming pregnant would also be destroying a human life, which it obviously is not.

Another issue is the assumption that brain activity (which is not-existent until three months if I remember my biology correctly) implies intelligence and value. It doesn't. A goose has more intelligence that a foetus at three months, and geese are delicious and stupid. In all honesty, I don't believe that a child is of intrinsic worth untill it is a few years old, and certaintly not before birth. Any other value it has is due to its worth the the parents or other humans which care for it, but I don't expect too many to agree with me here.

Regards,
Ascalon

Brain and I have no common ground on this particular issue. It is fruitless to debate abortion when we don't even agree on the nature of the value of human life. I wrote up an entire response to your latest post... but then anticipated your reply when I read my post from your point of view. There can be no agreement about the issue itself.

It may be more interesting to talk about the politics of the court that will decide it and whether or not that should be the case.... but that's a different topic. Obi, sorry for the abortion derail... I even knew it would happen.
Can you PM me the response you withdrew, if you have it saved somewhere? I'd like to read it anyway, though I agree there's no need to clutter the thread with a fruitless abortion debate.

Ascalon said:
If intelligence determines value, then it may well be wrong to eat octopi, although I would contest that their intelligence is no where near as complex and valuable as that of humans - they have shown no inclination to develop themselves or their species and have not been know to act dramatically outside their instincts, making this intelligence a mere animal cunning. Personally, I am happy to eat pretty much anything that isn't human, but this is based on a different morality: only human interactions give us power, so only humans need be protected.
I would tend to let empathy determine value. It's just the natural way to assign it and it also works well to the extent that we'd more easily empathize with other intelligent beings. I wager you'd agree with that.

Let us consider the arrival of an alien species which while displaying obvious intelligence of a similar kind to humans (i.e. self-awareness and self-determination and rational abilities) are also very tasty. The simplistic yet convenient "humans no, all other species are fine" maxim falls away here: by either of our measures, they are not to be hunted and eaten.
I'd be more worried about them hunting and eating us :( While they might meet our criteria, we might not meet theirs!

Furthermore, gametes are alive. True, you will not form a child without fertilisation, buy you won't do so without meiosis or ovulation either. Does that make these processes sacred cutting off points as well? I fervently hope not, since that would imply that a woman ever having a period instead of becoming pregnant would also be destroying a human life, which it obviously is not.
Let's be fair here. You can't make a car without car parts. But car parts are not a car unless they are assembled. Similarly, gametes are not human until fertilization (and they might still not be after that, depending on how you define things). This said, gametes are legion, conception is easy and spontaneous and it does not magically make the resulting organism much more than the sum of its two parts as it happens. It is just a fusion that triggers growth. There is little sense in giving a different level of protection to a fertilized ovum than to lone gametes, at least in the beginning. As times goes on, valuable work is expended to make it grow and it may develop properties that warrant protection. Doesn't happen in a split second, though, nor overnight.

If intelligence determines value, then it may well be wrong to eat octopi, although I would contest that their intelligence is no where near as complex and valuable as that of humans - they have shown no inclination to develop themselves or their species and have not been know to act dramatically outside their instincts, making this intelligence a mere animal cunning.
octopuses have been known to build fucking traps for human hunters, dude

they can figure out the use of simple tools (jars, etc) within minutes

Here's the way that I look at these three issues:

Everyone should have a right to do whatever they want to, so long as it does not negatively interfere with the choices of others. For this reason, I consider abortion acceptable, because the parent(s) of the unborn child is choosing what to do, and the child has no ability to make the choice (or to comprehend the choice for that matter, as I doubt that very many abortions are simply because the parent does not want to be responsible for the child but more so because the parent can not possibly support the child). As much as I dislike abortion, it is someone's choice, and it does not interfere with others (aside from the unborn child). Therefore, it is acceptable by my terms.

As far as animal rights go, while I certainly detest senseless animal abuse, I do not mind the consumption of domesticated or intelligent animals. Again, what someone chooses to eat is their choice, and does not impact others (unless they are going into someone else's house and stealing their dog in order to consume it). Therefore, the consumption of intelligent animals is acceptable in my mind.

Now, the rights of the mentally challenged. No matter how many chromosomes a person may have, they are still a person. Therefore, they are entitled to their own choices and should not be interfered with by others. According to my rules, each person has the same rights, and should be treated equally. Therefore, the rights of the mentally challenged are the same as those of any other person.

Again, this is all just my opinion. While my opinions do not perfectly match up with yours (we disagree on whether or not intelligent animals should be consumed, for example), I believe that this explanation may help you. If it doesn't, it certainly felt nice to explain my logic to myself again.

If someone has mentioned this already, then I'm sorry, but doesn't religion also take a huge role as to what should and shouldn't have rights? I'll take an example from my mother country. In India, if you're an "untouchable" then you have basically no rights. But someplace else, there are really no caste systems. So the "untouchables" have no rights because they're at the bottom.

I haven't read this thread and don't really plan on participating in the discussion, but I do think it is interesting to note that your dilemma (if it is one) is actually part of a logical argument that Peter Singer uses to defend the concept of animal rights along utilitarian grounds. He has also written quite a bit about abortion, euthanasia, etc. (And for the record, I don't actually agree with most of his arguments.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Singer#Animal_Liberation

I found this page on the "mirror test" relevant to this discussion (especially the abortion issue):

The mirror test is a measure of self-awareness developed by Gordon Gallup Jr. in 1970,[1][2] that was based in part on observations made by Charles Darwin.[3][4] While visiting a zoo, Darwin held a mirror up to an orangutan and recorded the animal's reaction, which included making a series of facial expressions. Darwin noted that the significance of these expressions was ambiguous, and could either signify that the primate was making expressions at what it perceived to be another animal, or it could be playing a sort of game with a new toy. There are 9 species that pass the mirror test, including magpies and elephants but mostly primates. Most human babies do not pass the mirror test until several months of age.[3][4]
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_test

It should be mentioned that pigs are very close to dogs in terms of intelligence. They are also genetically highly similar to us; scientists have looked into using them as unwilling organ donors. The reason we regard them as livestock is more than a lower intellect. It's a lack of the cuteness factor, higher reproduction rate, and general tastiness, among other things.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The reason why I don't ridicule mentally-challenged people is because I ask myself "If I were in his place, would I like it if people ridiculed me?" And I know that the answer to that question, however mentally-retarded you are, is no. I then see that the odds of me ending up like him, or having ended up like him before, aren't really that remote.

The mentally retarded understand the concept of life well and good. It's a common misconception, the mentally retarded are not any less intelligent, they just absorb information much more slowly. They are still fully sentient beings, unlike fetuses, and intelligence is not necessarily the issue with them.

The reason why I don't ridicule mentally-challenged people is because I ask myself "If I were in his place, would I like it if people ridiculed me?" And I know that the answer to that question, however mentally-retarded you are, is no. I then see that the odds of me ending up like him, or having ended up like him before, aren't really that remote.
If I were an octopus (or pig, dog, etc.) would I like getting eaten?

The question in this thread is how closely related are these questions.

Except you have a 0% chance of turning into an octopus. You do have a chance of suffering a head injury or getting some neurological disorder that makes you mentally retarded. His point still stands.

The mentally retarded understand the concept of life well and good. It's a common misconception, the mentally retarded are not any less intelligent, they just absorb information much more slowly. They are still fully sentient beings, unlike fetuses, and intelligence is not necessarily the issue with them.
If you absorb information much more slowly than someone else, then you are less intelligent than that person, unless you can compensate by absorbing more information or being better at using it. Also, while it is clear that some mentally challenged people understand moral concepts, some others do not.

unbarsc said:
Except you have a 0% chance of turning into an octopus. You do have a chance of suffering a head injury or getting some neurological disorder that makes you mentally retarded. His point still stands.
No, it does not. If his point is that you should not do unto someone else what you would not want him to do unto you, then it does not matter if it is possible to be in the other's situation. Depending on your situation and style of living, the odds of getting a head injury or some neurological disorder can be pretty damn slim anyway, it would be reasonable for one to round them down to zero. Also, if you are white caucasian, you have 0% chance of turning into a black person, does that mean it's fine to treat them like octopi?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)