XY RU More Than a Machine (Balanced Volt-turn)

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just lost r4 of the RU open so I figured I may as well post a team that got me that far, it also helped a couple of other people who were new to RU do pretty well in the open.

TEAM PREVIEW

So the inspiration for this team, was actually the combination of two cores that seemed really strong to me. The first core being Aromatisse + Eviolite Magneton, two pokemon with good synergy that are very difficult for the tier to deal with in tandem. I had also thought about the core of U-turn Gligar + Choice Scarf Moltres which seemed really cool to me, as Moltres can revenge kill a lot of Pokemon that are able to set up on Gligar, while Gligar can defog away rocks which are obviously a huge hamper for fire-berd. Now that I had the basis of a solid balanced volt-turn team I had some weaknesses and needs to adress, first off, I needed Stealth Rocks, as well as a good physical attacker, and a Water resist as nothing really wanted to take on water-types on my team. Druddigon filled all of these rolls, as well as being a dick to opposing Volt Turn teams (resisting VS and punishing UT), and it patched up my weakness to ACID SPRAY EELEKTROSS. There were still some flaws with my team however that I felt needed to be flattened out, most notably, I didn't really have any way to discourage / punish set up moves and I didn't have any way to deal with Calm Mind Cresselia, CM Meloetta or CM Reuniclus. That is where Liepard comes in, Prankster Encore + U-turn = Momentum, and it pretty much prevents Psychic-types from setting up. Liepard also lets me revenge kill weakened threats, which is extremely useful as Moltres is 4x weak to Stealth Rock.

This team has served me pretty well, I went like 20-0 on the ladder when testing it (don't remember the alt ;o) and it went 3-1 for me in the Grand Slam only losing to Afro Smash. It also got Anty to R4 and M Dragon used it to get past the early rounds of the slam. So its a pretty strong imo B).

THE DETAILS

OneMoreRobot (Magneton) @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Eviolite Magneton is a pretty big threat in the tier, as it switches into defensive Pokemon with ease thanks to its great typing, eviolite boosted bulk, and immunity to both Poison and Paralysis. It also doesn't mind burn to much either! The moves are pretty obvious, Volt Switch is a decently strong STAB and gains momentum for the team. Flash Cannon destroys the most common Switch ins to Volt Switch in the tier. Analytic boosted Flash Cannon + Stealth Rocks + an unboosted Flash Cannon kill Gligar, while two Flash Cannons of any variety can KO Rhyperior. Hidden Power Grass is there for Gastrodon and Lanturn, though Lanturn is probably going to beat you anyways. The Speed EVs on Magneton are there in order to out speed Exploud, yet under speed opposing Magneton. Named One More Robot because Magneton is can love too ;-;, also its 3 robots :{|}.

BrooklynBaby (Aromatisse) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

That brings us to Aromatisse, a Pokemon that I chose because it pairs pretty much perfectly with Magneton. Aromatisse supports the team by providing both Wish and Aromatherapy support. It pairs extremely nicely with Magneton, as Magneton 4x resists Steel and is immune to Poison while providing the Wish Support that makes Eviolite Magneton worth using over Specs Magneton. Specially Defensive EVs allow it to take on Life Orb Clawitzer more easily, as well as Slowking and the fast Electric-types. Aromatisse also hits deceptively hard off of a base 99 Special Attack, as its STAB has very good coverage in RU on its own. Aromatisse is also capable of shutting down pretty much any of the fighting types in an emergency which Magneton greatly appreciates. Aromatisse is called Brooklyn Baby because it looks like a early 20th century Flapper Girl.

Habits (Gligar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake

Since my team was clearly taking a balanced approach, I needed a decent Physical Wall to pair with SpD Aromatisse, and Gligar also has great synergy with Magneton, taking on Fighting types with ease and having an immunity to ground. U-turn Gligar is honestly one of my favorite pokemon to use in RU, as it can be so hard for the opponent to deal with thanks to its great bulk, and the fact that it has a slow U-turn, which never allows them a free switch in. Gligar also works really well with Moltres and Liepard, defogging rocks away for the former and having a slow U-turn for the latter, allowing it to punish Pokemon that think they can get free turns off against Gligar. I chose to lower Gligar's Speed IVs to 30, as it allows Gligar to under speed all variants of Cresselia as well as opposing Gligar for an easier switch to Liepard. Named Habits because Gligar has the habit of letting Moltres stay high, also cause it has the habit of U-turning out.

FireMeetGasoline (Moltres) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ancient Power / Fire Blast
- Hurricane

Scarf Moltres is ridiculously strong in the meta right now, as it can revenge kill many top threats (Cobalion, Virizion, and Durant come to mind), while having access to U-turn which is an excellent move on any Choiced mon. I realized after a while that my team was kinda weak to opposing LO Moltres, and I really never used Fire Blast when I was using Moltres so I figured I may as well go ahead and use Hidden Power Rock in that slot to deal with opposing Moltres. The decision is yours though, as it sucks to be locked into HP Rock. But this is just a standard strong Scarf mon that all balanced teams need. Moltres has great synergy with Liepard as it tends to lure in Slowking as well, and U-turning to Liepard on the switch gives you a free knock off, which if the opponent has a Gligar, it can make Magneton even more threatening, as you don't need rocks to 2HKO it. Moltres is called Fire Meet Gasoline because Moltres is an explosive threat, and muh Fire-typing.

10,000Claps (Liepard) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Liepard is often forgotten this generation due to the lack of Swagger, but people forget that Liepard is one of the best offensive pivots that the lower tiers have to offer. Encore + Sucker Punch means that you don't have to play mind games with set up Pokemon, and Encore + U-turn means that you can gain easy momentum. Knock Off is chosen as the final move because, well lets face it, STAB Knock Off is probably the best offensive / offensive support move in the game, getting rid of an opponent's leftovers and Eviolite's just makes it easier for my team to wear them down. Its really nice when it turns out a really underrated mon fills a niche on your team really well :). Named 10000 Claps because muh prankster encore and its also a cat.

Troubleman (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Druddigon rounds out the team, providing Stealth Rocks, another form of Priority (really helps against Delphox), and it can also take on Registeel and Lanturn thanks to Earthquake. Aromatisse also allows Druddigon to switch into Scalds with less fear, as Aromatherapy heals it of any burns it may get when checking water-types such as Slowking and Lanturn. Druddigon is just generally my favorite pokemon to use in RU, as it is an emergency check to pretty much everything, has Stealth rock, and is both strong and bulky. Named Troubleman because I can count on it when I'm in trouble, man.

OneMoreRobot (Magneton) @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Habits (Gligar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake

BrooklynBaby (Aromatisse) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

FireMeetGasoline (Moltres) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ancient Power / Fire Blast
- Hurricane

10,000Claps (Liepard) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Troubleman (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ru-22324 me vs Kingmidas R3 RU open
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-154787031 me vs MikeDawg R1 RU open
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ru-22943 Anty vs M Dragon R4 RU open
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-177004033 Level56 vs KratosMana Grand Slam Playoff Tiebreak

Conclusion

Yeah so that's the team, I hope you like it / try it, let me know if you have any comments / questions / rates. Thanks for reading n_n.

Edit: lord aim points out ancient power over HP rock for obv reasons.

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

man llamas, this team actually looks really cool and i fully plan on trying it out in the future. As of now it really seems like you have everything covered: I just have one small suggestion.

Perhaps you could try maxing out Magneton's Speed? Magneton isn't exactly the fastest thing around, but a few more Speed EVs could be really helpful for your team honestly. Right now you currently have no switch ins to Exploud's Boomburst, which is a pretty big problem considering only Moltres and Liepard outspeed the thing on your team. Adding some more Speed investment on Magneton gives you another method to outspeed Exploud and get some damage off on it (if Exploud is at 60% it can switch in on its Boomburst and KO with Tbolt!), and you don't really lose *that* much bulk in the process (for the record even though being slower than Exploud activates analytic, it still survives the boosted Thunderbolt from Eviolite Magneton after Stealth Rock and KOs with the second Boomburst 1v1 ;-;).

It also gives you a way to limit Omastar's entry hazards to one layer maximum :).

Another problem Pokemon is Mega Abomasnow, but i think you pretty much have that covered as long as you play carefully, it has to predict to get around your team, Exploud doesn't.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

man llamas, this team actually looks really cool and i fully plan on trying it out in the future. As of now it really seems like you have everything covered: I just have one small suggestion.

Perhaps you could try maxing out Magneton's Speed? Magneton isn't exactly the fastest thing around, but a few more Speed EVs could be really helpful for your team honestly. Right now you currently have no switch ins to Exploud's Boomburst, which is a pretty big problem considering only Moltres and Liepard outspeed the thing on your team. Adding some more Speed investment on Magneton gives you another method to outspeed Exploud and get some damage off on it (if Exploud is at 60% it can switch in on its Boomburst and KO with Tbolt!), and you don't really lose *that* much bulk in the process (for the record even though being slower than Exploud activates analytic, it still survives the boosted Thunderbolt from Eviolite Magneton after Stealth Rock and KOs with the second Boomburst 1v1 ;-;).

It also gives you a way to limit Omastar's entry hazards to one layer maximum :).

Another problem Pokemon is Mega Abomasnow, but i think you pretty much have that covered as long as you play carefully, it has to predict to get around your team, Exploud doesn't.
Yeah that's actually a really good point, I'll probably change my spread on Magneton to 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe because Spikes number in HP + outspeeds Exploud + out slows opposing Magneton allowing me to Volt Switch after their attack and get Moltres in for free without sacking anything.

also I limited Oma to one hazard by Volt Switching to Liepard anyways ;o.

Thanks Molk B) I like ur gif bb

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
This team is incredible and so fun to use. I have used it in three tour matches so far and in all three of them, I won easily. It also got me an important win vs kratosmana in tiebreak of grandslam (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-177004033) imo you should add this to the replays.

And the other battle is vs anty for the veto tournament quarter finals (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-198334724).

I don't have anything to suggest since this team is perfect.

Amazing team man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)