Other Most Improved Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm don't think that's how Sky Drop works. If you out speed a mon, you'll take them into the air first turn, and they can't attack. Next turn you attack them then they are able to attack you. Unless you meant something else entirely...
I have never actually have used skydrop, because of the ban, does it lock you into attacking, or can you just switch?

But you still haven't account for Greninja. He also gets shadow sneak, and while he doesn't get hone claws, he does get PuP, which is arguably better since he doesn't need the attack boost. Because of this Kecleon can't really be OU (as much as I love him too) but he probably could be UU. (Of course this depends on where Greninja ends up, but it's pretty certain he will be OU)
Yeah greninja is great. But I feel they are still way different since kecleon can afford to be adamant and still setup on the special attack oriented pokemon.
Also I find myself switching in on greninja with kecleon just so I can prove its better, maybe I'm biased. What really helps kecleon is that he is always underestimated, people tend to setup on him allowing him easier time to sweep teams. I even underestimated him once. I thought a +1 sucker punch wouldn't kill a Salamence, so I went for a shadow sneak incase he wanted to setup, it did 60%. I can OHKO scarfed rotom with suckerpunch. It just helps out a lot. Kecleon also gets power up punch, but i use work up because of aegislash.

But that's just it isn't it. How many times in Gen V could Metagross REALLY be used viably over another pokemon? Needed a Bullet Puncher? Scizor. Liked the Steel/Psychic type's few resistances? Jirachi. It had no niche. Now, it definitely has at least one, possibly two if you count it being a fairy counter (although I admit that Scizor could probably do that better too ;) )
Metagross has a more unique niche now (imo), this is just speculation but. Since my rhyperior is capable of sweeping with rock polish, weakness policy(basically shell smash without def drops) , metagross, who has better typing, will be able to make better use of this set (agility for rock polish). I just use it on rhyperior because I think it has a cooler design.

EDIT: Nevermind, tested it out, metagross is ass. Rhyperior does it so much better.
If anyone wanted to try out the set=
(Rhyperior) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Perfect coverage. Fire punch after scizor bp's you. You won't believe how many rage quits i get when I set this thing up.

Last edited:
empoleon resists stealth rock can defog and reset your rocks which is fairly impressive
p.s sorry if that's been mentioned before i didn't look THAT hard

My point is that it is now capable of doing it's job, and that is to be an unbreakable wall. Btw, RestTalk is a very viable set, or you can just pass wishes. But yes, I see your point, and it's very true.

Another improved pokemon is AeroDactyl. It now has more options than just a suicide lead. A reason to use it is that it can outspeed Mega Alakazam and Mega Gengar, and OHKO with crunch. Also it has access to the now legal Skydrop, as I stated earlier in the aerodactyl thread, combine with it's impressive speed might allow for some interesting moves. For example, it can outspeed one of it's counters, skydrop it and switch.
Mega-Aerodactyl doesn't outspeed Mega-Alakazam; it merely ties with it.

To be honest I don't really think Aerodactyl will see much more usage this generation. Despite getting an attack boost when it goes into Mega form, it is still pretty underpowered offensively. Mega-Aerodactyl is highly underwhelming compared to many of the other Megas, and hence isn't likely to see any use outside of very specific roles, or on teams that use Aerodactyl but don't use any other 'mons that can mega evolve. It is most likely going to be sticking with its classic suicide SR lead set (once Pokebank is released), because that's one role it still does very well.

Mega-Aerodactyl doesn't outspeed Mega-Alakazam; it merely ties with it.

To be honest I don't really think Aerodactyl will see much more usage this generation. Despite getting an attack boost when it goes into Mega form, it is still pretty underpowered offensively. Mega-Aerodactyl is highly underwhelming compared to many of the other Megas, and hence isn't likely to see any use outside of very specific roles, or on teams that use Aerodactyl but don't use any other 'mons that can mega evolve. It is most likely going to be sticking with its classic suicide SR lead set (once Pokebank is released), because that's one role it still does very well.
135 Attack is downright powerful, and all its coverage moves reach around 100 BP due to the 1.33 boost of Tough Claws. Suicide Lead Aerodactyl is just impractical compared to that. It easily competes with the power of a lot of Megas due to this, and has great coverage.

Some examples:
Crunch (106-ish BP after boost)
Iron Head (106-ish BP after boost)
Aerial Ace (119-ish BP after boost)
The Fangs (86-ish BP after boost)
Dragon Claw (106-ish BP after Boost)
Aqua Tail (119-ish BP after boost)(once pokebank comes out)

This thing can also take an Aqua Jet from max attack Azumarill or a Mach Punch from Conkeldurr(and isn't even 2HKOd). This thing is crazy in its own right.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Metagross has a more unique niche now (imo), this is just speculation but. Since my rhyperior is capable of sweeping with rock polish, weakness policy(basically shell smash without def drops) , metagross, who has better typing, will be able to make better use of this set (agility for rock polish). I just use it on rhyperior because I think it has a cooler design.

EDIT: Nevermind, tested it out, metagross is ass. Rhyperior does it so much better.
If anyone wanted to try out the set=
(Rhyperior) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Perfect coverage. Fire punch after scizor bp's you. You won't believe how many rage quits i get when I set this thing up.
yeah Ive been testing weakness policy on a variety of mons and i really like it on rhyperior. I wish i could fit a move like drain punch in there to get some recovery but the damage output even after + 2 is pathetic.

Dragonite is also a great candidate due to multiscale. It has great synergy with anything that can utilize will-o-wisp [trevenant/rotom]. I've burned plenty of dragon types and set up a DD on their attack and swept from there.

Yeah greninja is great. But I feel they are still way different since kecleon can afford to be adamant and still setup on the special attack oriented pokemon.
Also I find myself switching in on greninja with kecleon just so I can prove its better, maybe I'm biased. What really helps kecleon is that he is always underestimated, people tend to setup on him allowing him easier time to sweep teams. I even underestimated him once. I thought a +1 sucker punch wouldn't kill a Salamence, so I went for a shadow sneak incase he wanted to setup, it did 60%. I can OHKO scarfed rotom with suckerpunch. It just helps out a lot. Kecleon also gets power up punch, but i use work up because of aegislash.
Yeah, I think you might be a TAD biased. Comparing the stats, one thing stands out, and that is indeed is higher special defense. However, his health is so low, that it's really risky to set up, because as the metagame develops, people are going to know what that little chameleon is capable of if you let it. The STAB bonus really is what's key here. 90 base power attack suddenly stands out when all it's coverage gets a STAB bonus. I still stand that Greninja is better because of its speed and better offenses (particularly on the special side) but Kecleon will definitely be a threat in the lower tiers.

===============================================================================

My vote for most improved definitely goes to Kangaskhan. It's mega-evolution is a true beast. 2 attacks, the first at full power and the second at 50% power, but both have the full capability to inflict secondary effects. Not to mention, first hit will destroy a substitute, and second will still hit it.

1) Power-Up Punch on Mega-Kangaskhan becomes a damaging Swords Dance.
2) Sucker Punch allows it to do nasty things to Gengar and Mega-Gengar.
3) Fake Out gives it a "free hit" on just about everything.
4) Substitute needs no explanation.
5) Dizzy Punch gives it a STAB move that does decent damage, and when combined with the new mega-evo, enables it to (fairly) reliably cause confusion.

Its fairly diverse move-pool also includes:
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Aerial Ace
-Rock Slide
-Shadow Claw
-Toxic
-Return (STAB-boosted)
-Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch (once Pokebank launches)
It also has access to a good number of SpA moves that provide coverage, such as Fire Blast, Blizzard, Surf, Thunderbolt, and Solar Beam, although its SpA is really not good enough to take advantage.

It also has a few options ability-wise:
-Scrappy allows it to hit anything that might switch in while it is boosting with Power-Up Punch (Gengar, I'm looking at you).
-Early Bird allows it to use Rest as a fairly reliable recovery move.

Last edited:
I've been trying out Bisharp and I feel like I have to drop a mention in. His typing actually got better this gen, as he still resists Dark and Ghost despite the Steel nerf. In fact, the Steel nerf played into his hands because he can trash most rival steel types with Night Slash or Sucker Punch. Plus, his Steel STAB in Iron Head is a lot more worthwhile as it allows him to smash most of the Fairy-types really hard - the only ones I wouldn't favour it to beat mano a mano are probably Azumarill and Mega Mawile, and maybe Togekiss depending on if it's running Fire Blast or Aura Sphere.

Also, Defiant, which was already a good ability, is frigging amazing this gen because it means that being blocked by King's Shield means diddly squat and switching into Sticky Web is a free Swords Dance. Seeing as how his primary method of attacking is Sucker Punch, he doesn't care too much about lowered speed.

Overall, it matches up too well with the potential state of the metagame to not jump up one tier from UU and become a solid OU poke, in my opinion.
^^This. This guy is sitting right next to Tentacruel on my list of Pokes that I have no idea how to include on my team, but also have no idea how I can't. With Steel losing the Ghost resistance and the appearance of fairies (and Poison to counter fairies), this guy's typing was just one generation ahead of its time.

We don't know whether or not its type was changed to from steel/psychic to steel/fairy yet,and if game freak has any logic,jirachi would become steel/fairy
Why? It's an alien... robot... thing.

Celebi would make sense (though I doubt it's changed), but why would Jirachi change? Besides that, steel gained a new weakness/resistance the nerf sucks, but steel types have a more specfic use now than just walling EVERYTHING.

We don't know whether or not its type was changed to from steel/psychic to steel/fairy yet,and if game freak has any logic,jirachi would become steel/fairy
It's Steel/Psychic, unfortunately. We know this because people have requested for Jirachi (as well as Mew / Celebi / Pixies / etc.) on the GTS and looked at the trade request summary page. The trade request summary page lists what type that Pokemon is underneath their picture.

Yo, What's the exact set you're using on your Kecleon, Wouldn't mind trying it for my NU/RU team

While BP ninjask may be dead, infiltrator CB ninjask is suddenly quite good. It's more then fast enough to get away with running adamant nature and still outspeed almost any non-scarfer, so that makes up for the mediocre attack stat, and STABed u-turn can deal 60-90% to a t-tar and 90+% to a latias. Now if only it had a better movepool, cuz atm it's hardest hitting non u-turn moves are double edge and return, ewwww.

Just because everything else interesting has been covered: Rotom Mow now has a neat niche of (afaik) being the only thing immune to both paralysis and spore/powder, allowing it to hypothetically sponge some statuses.

Yeahhhh, my boy Scolipede got a huge boon in Speed Boost! :) Azumarill got a massive boost too, with Water/Fairy typing to help it wreck Garchomp and other Dragons. I've also always liked Mawile, but its' stats were just too shit-tastic to ever think about using, even in competitive battling. But now, with that MEvo, it might be viable in competitive battling now, hopefully raising from the depths of PU to take the new metagame on. Unfortunately, it doesn't really have a solid recovery move, but passing Wish down to it could potentially help its' longevity out. And time will only tell to show how good Sticky Web and the other hazards will be, since Defog is now a field-wipe move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)