Most underrated albums

Name some albums you think are criminally underrated!

The first one that comes to mind for me is In a Million Years from Australian Indie Rock band Last Dinosaurs. Very few people have heard of it, but it makes maybe my top 10 favorites. It's some superb indie power pop, and if you're into that sort of thing it's spectacular:

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
my vote goes to the monitor by titus andronicus. while a decent number of people have heard of it (1800 ratings on rym), it only has a 3.5 average rating. it's an intensely emotional album, but it still has the whole "rock my fucking socks off" thing going for it. the lead singer was like an english PhD student before he formed the band. expect many references to new jersey, shakespeare, and bruce springsteen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjaWJ74GkXA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZYignZ2HfE‎ don't be offput by the 14 minute length, it isn't a slow builder, the first 6 or so minutes are pretty much a conventional song while the last part is a orgasmic bagpipe section

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Red Room by The Shadowboxers. It's their debut album, so they're still pretty unknown, but it's one of the best albums I heard this year. They have a wide range from driving piano rock in Fixer to mellow, tight harmonies in Vienna. Also, I gotta rep Atlanta.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Mmh, tough one. The most underrated album I've ever listened to is probably Don Juan's Reckless Daughter by Joni Mitchell. It's never been well-received by critics and even some of her fans, but it's still probably my favorite Joni album, along with Hejira. Jaco Pastorius' bass work is utterly intoxicating, especially on the track "Talk to Me".

Honorable mentions go to The Sensual World by Kate Bush and Tricky's albums that aren't Maxinquaye. TSW received lukewarm reception in comparison to many of Kate's other masterpieces, which I find puzzling; it's easily in her top 3, imo, along with Hounds of Love and The Dreaming. In many ways, I find Kate in general to be under-appreciated, but that's beside the point, I guess. As for Tricky...he has a ton of good stuff, but it doesn't seem like many appreciate him outside of his first album (not to say that Maxinquaye isn't great, but still...Pre-Millennium Tension easily tops it).

Last edited:

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
ive listened to the monitor a few times and enjoyed it, very good concept

my vote goes to : Substantial 12 Monkeys by Monkey Sequence 19

its an instrumental hip hop album from a japanese producer similar to j dilla, one of the best i've heard

im guessing direct links arent allowed but http://rbt.asia/mu/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=substantial 12 monkeys mega that leads to a page where you can find the download, i've looked for places to actually buy it and couldnt find one

sample tracks:

live performance by the artist [really good]

Byrne Last Dinosaurs are very cool, thankfully I discovered them via Triple J (australian radio station predominantly indie and alternative). I suggest listening to San Cisco (another great Aussie band) because they are similar!! Can't say that they are entirely underrated tho
also wow VN. Monkey Sequence 19 is very cool. Reminds me of Nujabes and Force of Nature

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Byrne Last Dinosaurs are very cool, thankfully I discovered them via Triple J (australian radio station predominantly indie and alternative). I suggest listening to San Cisco (another great Aussie band) because they are similar!! Can't say that they are entirely underrated tho
also wow VN. Monkey Sequence 19 is very cool. Reminds me of Nujabes and Force of Nature
yeah I do think he has elements of Nujabes' work in his as well, although I wanted to avoid the comparison since Monkey_sequence is a lot more like American composers with his sampling. I've never heard of force of nature, but im interested. Which LPs of theirs do you recommend?

yeah I do think he has elements of Nujabes' work in his as well, although I wanted to avoid the comparison since Monkey_sequence is a lot more like American composers with his sampling. I've never heard of force of nature, but im interested. Which LPs of theirs do you recommend?
honestly force of nature is more nujabes style than monkeysequence. their second album is my favourite but I really haven't listened to all of their work. They did produce some tunes for Samurai Champloo

I used to love SS and when they released the singles from We Rule The Night, I was like "this is terrible", as was most of the fanbase. But now, I really enjoy the album. It's completely differen than what they've done before it and that's definitely not a bad thing, given how generic their middle 2 albums were in hindsight. Eden Fire is still my album of choice as far as these guys go, but this album full of surprisingly enjoyable songs gets me as well. Yea, it's soft and poppy but who cares. Nathan is a much better singer than Roland as well.

Mid-summer of 2001, the most unfortunately named band ever put out a fantastic electro album. I Am the World Trade Center's Out of the Loop is a solid recording by all means. Sadly, it came out not even 2 months before the 9/11 attacks and the 11th track was called "September", which combined with their name and the mindset at the time, meant they were doomed. "Move On" is incredibly catchy, "Flute Loops" is fucking gorgeous, and the whole album plays like candy-coated Kraftwerk, but they never stood a chance.

Can't find their best tracks on YouTube, but "Metro" is a fair enough summary of their sound:

Edit: Fuck that, "Flute Loops" is on Grooveshark here. That jam is fucking amazing, listen to that shit, man!

Last edited:
Tomorrow by SR-71 is fucking amazing, as are all their other albums. SR-71 in general are really, really underrated. Some songs from Tomorrow:

Hello Hello
My World
Goodbye
Tomorrow

just listen to these guys they're great

I wasn't even born when this album was released ,Violator by Depeche Mode it all started back when i heard that weird synth pop song on GTASA RADIO X i am big fun since then .

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Mid-summer of 2001, the most unfortunately named band ever put out a fantastic electro album. I Am the World Trade Center's Out of the Loop is a solid recording by all means. Sadly, it came out not even 2 months before the 9/11 attacks and the 11th track was called "September", which combined with their name and the mindset at the time, meant they were doomed. "Move On" is incredibly catchy, "Flute Loops" is fucking gorgeous, and the whole album plays like candy-coated Kraftwerk, but they never stood a chance.

Can't find their best tracks on YouTube, but "Metro" is a fair enough summary of their sound:

Edit: Fuck that, "Flute Loops" is on Grooveshark here. That jam is fucking amazing, listen to that shit, man!
Do you know if it's possible to download the album anywhere? (for free, I mean) I liked the songs you posted but couldn't manage to download the album...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)