My Team Needs to be Gen. 5 Adjusted.

I haven't played the Gen. 5 OU Metagame yet. This a repost of my team from Gen. 4. I would appreciate it if someone could help me adjust my game for the Gen. 5 OU Metagame, because I am honestly lost. I want to keep Scizor and Metagross in this form on my team, but I'm open to any different suggestions.

Team Builder Prologue: This is going to be a team that is made up of just pure-attacking power, and it is going to avoid from setting up. The only thing I want to set up is Stealth Rock, and then it's go time. I also want this team to be mostly physical attackers, maybe one or two special attackers. Finally, this team has to be extremely diverse, with only two pokemon at the most sharing the same type, and having as many different attacks as possible, so I can counter everything and anything.

As I said in the Prologue, I want a Lead that can do a little bit of everything, Including setting up Stealth Rock. The only start to me that can do that is Azelf:

Then, I decided that I needed three main psyhical attackers. I wanted a Priority Attacker, an attacker with also a sold defense, and an attacker that also sets up Status Conditions. After a while of Thinking and Playtesting, I go with Scizor, Tyranitar, and Breloom:

But what kind of team would this be If I didn't have one special attacker? I thought of all of my previous encounters with mixed special attackers, and come up with Gengar:

Then, like most teams, I need one sweeper. I already know what it will be, since I've had so many great moments with him. It's Metagross.

Then, I think about Tyranitar. I already have pokemon with Earthquake and Pursuit. Plus, Sand Stream wouldn't be such a big problem if three of my pokemon are follow victim to it, including Breloom, who will only restore half health due to Breloom. I think of the next best Scarfed pokemon with a diverse movepool, so I go Flygon:

But then I remembered something. Didn't I want a main attacker with a decent defense stat? And after some playtesting, one special attacker isn't enough. I think of the only other Pokemon that can deliever in that manner, and that is Heatran.

Everything seems great now, and after a little playtesting, this team works very good together. This team playltested on Shoddy Battle out of 10 games went 8-2.

~B.Y.O.B.~
(Bring Your Own BANANAS!)

Overview: I've seen so many teams today that are missing something that I haven't seen in so many years: Just Attacking Power. We have walls like Blissey that want to stall us out, while Trick Room is used more for Strategy. B.Y.O.B. is a team dedicated to pure attacking power, not for setting up a strategy (with the exception of Azelf) with a team dedicated for one or two uses. The attackers on this team have different movesets and types, so the diversity is here. So, without further interuption, the team!

Azelf @
216 Speed/8 HP/140 Atk/144 Sp. Def
Jolly Nature
Levitate​

Taunt
Stealth Rock
U-Turn
Explosion​

Oh, Azelf. How a great starter you are. Everybody knows the power of an Azelf lead. Taunt can completely cripple common leads such as Skarmory and Hippowdon, forcing them to switch out while I get a free turn to set up Stealth Rock. Explosion is there for obvious reasons, such as taking out or at least damaging FS leads like other Azelf, Infernape, Weavile, etc. U-Turn has been chosen over Psychic to get out of Machamp leads, despite the use of a Colbur Berry, since I hate dealing with Machamp.​

Other Leads vs. Azelf:​

Azelf: Explode. Most will out-taunt me due to 216 Speed.
Machamp: U-Turn. I don't wanna deal with this thing.
Infernape: Stealth Rock and switch to Gengar so it isn't affected by Endeavor or Vaccum Wave.
Aerodactyl: Explode since it out-taunts me as well.
Ninjask: Taunt so it can't do anything except X-Scissor after the Substitute. Then I switch into Scizor.
Metagross: SR and switch into Scizor.
Gliscor: Taunt, forcing it to switch out so I can set up SR.
Jirachi: Switch into Heatran to make Trick useless.
Roserade: Taunt.
Crobat: Explode since it out-taunts me.
Skarmory: SR and then U-Turn or Explode depending on what they send out. I don't Taunt since most switch out when they see Azelf.
Smeargle: SR since most switch out, and if not, I take the sleep, then switch to Scizor.

Scizor @ Choice Band
252 Atk/252 HP/4 Speed
Adamant Nature
Technician​

Bullet Punch
U-Turn
Pursuit
Brick Break​

Scizor is the priority attacker of this team. Bullet Punch + 591 Attack + Technician + STAB = POWERHOUSE. This set can OHKO other OU Pokemon such as Tyranitar, while doing serious damage to others. Bullet Punch is also the main attack that Scizor will be using, while Pursuit is used to make sure that nothing can escape without taking some damage (Such as Ghost and Psychic types), U-Turn is so that I can get out of trouble while probably getting around the opponent's pokemon to half health, and Brick Break is to get rid of all defensive barriers, that are set up by Cresselia and other Walls.

Gengar @ Life Orb
252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
Timid Nature
Levitate​

Substitute
Pain Split
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast​

Gengar is my one of two special attackers on this team, the other being Heatran. He'll usually come in when one of my Pokemon are KO'd that also forces the opponent to switch out. When they switch out, I set up the substitute, which then allows me to either Focus Blast or Shadow Ball for at least a free turn (minus the Life Orb damage, which speeds up the time I can Pain Split). When my HP gets low enough, I pull out the Pain Split, while although I get usually get KO'd in the process, it usually can pull down the opponent's HP to about half.​

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
Timid Nature
Flash Fire​

HP Ice
Explosion
Fire Blast
Earth Power​

The new most OU pokemon, Heatran. While he's scarfed, has such an advantage over other Pokemon. I chose HP Ice over Dragon Pulse because it covers more than DP in terms of weaknesses (DP only covers 1, while HP Ice covers 4 Weaknesses), while Fire Blast is used over Flamthrower for that extra little Umpf. Earth Power and Explosion are used in this set to cover other weaknesses you may run across.​

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
Jolly Nature
Poison Heal​

Spore
Substitute
Seed Bomb
Focus Punch​

Breloom is just plain annoying to the opponent, if you know how to use it. First off, I only send him in when I know the opponent will switch out or if something is out that is slower than me. His 252 Speed EV's compared to the normal Breloom allow it to outspeed normal Breloom. From there, it is just basically the regular Breloom set. I substitute after the Spore, and Focus Punch or Seed Bomb allowing me to get in at least one free kill. From when the substitute is gone, I usually just let Breloom get KO'd to set up with Metagross.

Metagross @ Lum Berry
112 HP/252 Atk/12 Def/132 Speed
Adamant Nature
Clear Body​

Agility
Thunderpunch
Earthquake
Meteor Mash​

From the time I started playing Pokemon competitively about 3 years ago, my favorite and most affective late game sweeper has been Agiligross. One agility will double the speed of Metagross, which will allow it to outrun just about every Non-Scarfed pokemon in OU, with the exception of Aerodactyl and Jolteon. From there, I proceed to sweep. STAB Meteor Mash can OHKO a lot of Pokemon, while Earthquake takes care of Infernape and Thunderpunch takes care of Gyarados. I have to say that Agiligross, in my opinion, is one of the three best late game sweepers in the OU metagame today.​

The transition from Generation 4 to 5 was so game-changing to the point where this team has no chance of reaching much success in this generation. While it may have been solid in Generation 4, I think that its going to require too much renovation in order for it to fully succeed in Generation 5.

You're going to find that most Pokemon on your team just don't function the way they used to previously. Azelf and Agility Metagross find themselves struggling for team slots, and with the Explosion nerf, introduction of Team Preview and the additions in Jellicent, Excadrill and Ferrothorn, they're going to find less opportunities to come in and cause damage like they did in Gen 4. Your only water resist is Breloom and so something like Specs Politoed is OHKOing your entire team and with the advent of Toxic Orb Gliscor and Xatu, as well as the return of Lati@s and Salamence, Breloom is going to find it even harder to do what it did in Gen. 4. However, I am not saying it is a bad Pokemon, it is still relatively decent, it just gets limited opportunities to "be annoying" like it did back then...

I would definitely think about making a new team as currently, even with a number of updates, this team is going to struggle to go up against others in this Generation successfully. If you haven't played 5th Gen before the best option in my opinion would to start with a Sand Balance team, which holds its own against any playstyle. Start with Tyranitar and work your way from there. If you need any help, PM me!

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)