My Very First Sandstorm Team

Building The Team

Seeing as I've never made a sandstorm team, and seeing as they've become better than ever, I wanted to try my hand at one.

After seeing the raw destructive power of Doryuzu first hand, I knew I had to try it out.

Of course I needed Sandstorm to use Doryuzu effectively, so I slapped a lead Hippo on.

Next I added a defensive Sand Veil Gliscor to give my team some bulk.

Now I wanted a good revenge killer to mop up, so I added a Scarftar who could also restore the sand if Hippo got killed and different weather had come into effect.

It was now that I noticed my crippling weakness to Water, Ice and Fighting. I added a Bulky Gyarados to my team because it resists both water and fighting and is neutral to Ice.

Now I wanted more Defense on my team, so after looking around Smogon awhile I found the answer to my problem, Cradily.

An In Depth Look

Hipster (Hippowdon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 253 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp.Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Roar
Just your typical lead Hippowdon, but he works SO WELL. He can come in, set up rocks and SS, then stall to no end. He also makes a great late game staller, EQ, Slack Off and repeat, and if there's something he can't hurt he can just roar it out and spam rocks damage.

MOLEsted (Doryuuzu) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor
This thing is just scary. Once it gets up a swords dance or two not much can take it. I didn't invest in speed because his speed is high enough with Sand Throw, and the HP EV's help his survivability a lot. I basically just come in on something that can't touch it and set up swords dance, then sweep. If I can sense an EQ or fighting move coming I switch to Gliscor.

Zorro (Gliscor) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 124 Def / 4 SDef
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Roost
Ahh, Gliscor. This thing can take hits like a tank, break stalls with taunt and dish out damage with EQ. Toxic is for what he can't kill. Skarmory walls this thing completely though, when one comes out I switch to Gyarados, since Skarm is basically set up fodder for him.

Overdose (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Def / 4 SDef
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
I love BulkyDos. He deals with the weaknesses of the team. He can absorb hits well and set up and sweep.
When another water type or fighting type comes in I switch to this and set up. But when an electric move comes I switch to one of my ground types.

Guitar (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 2 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
My revenge-killer. If the opponent tries to switch I can just pursuit, otherwise he has Stone Edge, EQ and Crunch at his disposal. He also pairs nicely with Gyarados, since Gyarados is immune to or resists T-Tars three main weaknesses, Fighting, Ground and Water. Also if Hippo faints and my opponent cancels out Sandstorm, T-Tar can restore it.

Cradle (Cradily) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Suction Cups
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
- Stockpile
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake
Cradily is a great Toxic staller. After three stockpiles is defenses are huge. He can stall out Pokemon I can't take out normally, wearing them out with SS, Toxic and staying safe with Protect. While is SP. Def is lacking compared to his Def., Sandstorm can increase it.

So tell me what you think, what should I add, change etc.

Okay if you're running Stockpile on Cradily, you should consider investing in HP, since you're already increasing your defenses, or Attack, in case you want some extra punch.
I actually find that Hippowdon plays the role of Stockpile staller exceedingly well, but you need someone to put up SR. If you could possibly get a different lead, I feel Hippowdon with Stockpile would greatly enhance the stalling capabilities of this team.
I'm not too familiar with 5th Gen, so I haven't really got an idea of Doryuuzu's movepool, but I think you could switch out X-Scissor for a Fire-type attack if possible for better coverage. Without it, you have absolutely nothing that can take down Skarmory, and if it has Roost it'll just laugh at you all day. Forry is a similar story. You really need Fire-type attacks to deal with the Steels of OU that aren't weak to Ground.

To cut a long story short, I'll recommend the following changes:

-Change the TTar set to a mixed attacking set with Life Orb to lure + KO Skarm, Forry, etc.
-Move Hippowdon out of the lead slot and replace SR with Stockpile.
-Remove Cradily. Its presence in the team is rather redundant if you use stockpile Hippowdon, which I think is more useful for its particular role. Replace it with Scarf Flygon. This way you have a revenge killer to replace TTar, and it can perform scouting duties as well. On my Toxic Stall team, I use a Scarf Flygon with Toxic, so you could consider that as well.

I'm not too familiar with 5th Gen, so I haven't really got an idea of Doryuuzu's movepool, but I think you could switch out X-Scissor for a Fire-type attack if possible for better coverage. \
Unfortunately, Doryuzu's movepool is very shallow, no Fire moves

Doryuzu is extremely frail, so running those hp evs are practically useless.
other doryuzu will switch in and kill you easily.
move the hp evs to speed to tie with other doryuzu, and change the item from leftovers to balloon.

I think you won't be able to deal with physical bulks as I can see you don't seem to have any special sweepers. CC Suicune could easily sweep through your team. I'd also suggest an electro type to be able to deal with those. Pokemon like Zapdos are nessecary in SS-Teams. Good luck.

I am not that big of a rater but I can give you some minor Nitpicks. On Doryuuzu.I recommend a Jolly Nature over Adamant with a Balloon as your Item as it helps In setting up Swords Dance and at least having a Speed-Tie with opposing Doryuuzu running Jolly. Also, Doryuuzu is to frail to Run Hp Ev's so I recommend replacing them as Speed EV's. As for Gliscor, since Poison Heal Gliscor has been released, I recommend this set

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Ability-Poison Heal
EV's- 252 Att/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Nature-Jolly
Acrobat
Earthquake
Fling
Swords Dance/Protect

This set will help you to stall for longer due to super Leftover Recovery and break through Walls by using Fling to poison them thus forcing them to switch after some time and raising your Acrobat's power to a Base 110 Att thus muscling through so many pokes with the Dual STAB of Acrobat and Earthquake.

Like the last rater, I am not very good at rating so bare with me. First off I agree with ayushgarg. Switching Duryuuzu set makes it much more threatening of a sweeper. The main counters for Dury consist of grounded pokes, like Gliscor, Hippo and Swampert. You should not have much HP investment at all. If any it should be to take Roobushin's Mach Punch. Sorry I do not know how much investment is needed for you to survive that. My next idea is to change Scarftar out. Scarfchomp one hundred percent better than Scarftar. 252 spe 252 att 4 hp with a set of Fire Blast, EQ, Outrage, DClaw / stone Edge with a jolly nature will do everything Scarftar did and more. Do not move Hippo way from the lead or change the moveset. FYI duryuuzu is not that frail. Luc and ape are frail, Duryuzuu is average for a late game sweeper.

I am not that big of a rater but I can give you some minor Nitpicks. On Doryuuzu.I recommend a Jolly Nature over Adamant with a Balloon as your Item as it helps In setting up Swords Dance and at least having a Speed-Tie with opposing Doryuuzu running Jolly. Also, Doryuuzu is to frail to Run Hp Ev's so I recommend replacing them as Speed EV's. As for Gliscor, since Poison Heal Gliscor has been released, I recommend this set

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Ability-Poison Heal
EV's- 252 Att/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Nature-Jolly
Acrobat
Earthquake
Fling
Swords Dance/Protect

This set will help you to stall for longer due to super Leftover Recovery and break through Walls by using Fling to poison them thus forcing them to switch after some time and raising your Acrobat's power to a Base 110 Att thus muscling through so many pokes with the Dual STAB of Acrobat and Earthquake.
Wouldn't it make more sense to use toxic over Fling so you don't lose your healing? And what about roost?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)