New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread Mk. 5

haunter

Banned deucer.
Set Name : A Quickie

PorygonZ
@ Lum Berry
Evs : 126 speed 252 sp att, 64 def, 70 hp.
Ability : Adaptability
Modest Nature
Moves :
-Agility
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Psychic/HP fight (make a choice here...)
-Tri Attack

Ok this set is absolutely only viable as lead, let this be very clear.
This set loses against almost every OU lead. Azelf\Aero are faster and will always set up rocks; Aero can then stone edge you for massive damage, while Azelf can just explode on you. Jirachi is faster and will flinch you to death or just set up rocks and u-turn out. Metagross will 2hko you with meteor mash+bullet punch. Swampert will set up rocks and just switch to a counter. I really don't see this set being effective as a lead\anti lead.

This set loses against almost every OU lead. Azelf\Aero are faster and will always set up rocks; Aero can then stone edge you for massive damage, while Azelf can just explode on you. Jirachi is faster and will flinch you to death or just set up rocks and u-turn out. Metagross will 2hko you with meteor mash+bullet punch. Swampert will set up rocks and just switch to a counter. I really don't see this set being effective as a lead\anti lead.
unpredictability, sleep leads let it get a free agility/nasty plot depending on their speed and taunt life orb azelf is 1 hitted by dark pulse on first turn.
Aerodactyl is a problem if you dont have thunderbolt yes.

unpredictability, sleep leads let it get a free agility/nasty plot depending on their speed and taunt life orb azelf is 1 hitted by dark pulse on first turn.
The most common Sleep leads are Smeargle and Roserade, both of which run Focus Sash the vast majority of the time, meaning they can afford to just use Spore/Sleep Powder both turns. If you NP, they outspeed you and Spore/Sleep Powder again the next turn. If you Agility, they survive a hit with Focus Sash and Spore/Sleep Powder again. If you attack, they survive a hit due to Focus Sash and go first the next turn using Spore/Sleep Powder.

Lead Azelf doesn't run Life Orb, it runs Focus Sash or Light Clay.

Azelf beats it (Taunt/Light Screen, SR, Psychic/Fire Blast/Explode), Metagross beats it (MM+BP), Jirachi beats it (Trick, Iron Head, T-wave), Aero beats it (Taunt, SR, Stone Edge), Infernape beats it (Fake Out+CC), Roserade beats it (Leaf Storm has a small chance to OHKO, otherwise it 2HKOs, or double Sleep Powder), Ninjask beats it (Sub/SD/X-Scissor wins out), Smeargle beats it (Outspeed and Spore twice, surviving a hit due to Focus Sash or Trick Choice Scarf onto PZ as it NP/Agility). That's 8 of the top 10 leads beating it. Which translates to this being an ineffective lead to start with.

I dont see how this is even going to be able to set up/viable as a lead, Azelf still comes out on top thanks to it using a Sash and not a LO when leading, so that is moot. Honesly you lose to like every common lead out of the top 10-15, literally, not named Smeargle :/. Roserade still wins thanks to the sash too btw.

Haunter explained what it loses to and why and a whole host of others e.g Infernape.

Edit : Beaten. >.<

I'd rather use Magic Coat on Porygon-Z than Lum Berry, simply because otherwise Roserade gets to set up Toxic Spikes. This is a set I think could work:

Pokemon Name: Porygon-Z
Moveset Name: Anti-Lead
Move 1: Magic Coat
Move 2: Tri Attack
Move 3: Icy Wind
Move 4: Hidden Power [Ground]
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Download
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Okay, this Porygon-Z is designed to take down the majority of the top ten leads, barring Infernape and Jirachi(unless they are a bulky, slow variant).

The moves are pretty simple. Magic Coat reflects sleep moves back at Roserade and Smeargle, allowing you to come out on top unless they call your bluff, but you can still win if they do with Icy Wind + Tri Attack. Tri Attack(STAB) is the powerful attack here, and with a Download boost(easily received from Metagross, Swampert, or Hippowdon) is extremely powerful. Icy Wind is like the Bullet Punch of lead Metagross, or Extremespeed of Dragonite, only operating under different circumstances. You slow down Aerodactyl and Azelf enough to be finished off the next turn, without taking a hit! Finally, there is Hidden Power [Ground], which allows you to deal a ton of damage to Metagross, and if you get the chance to, Jirachi and Infernape.

Pokemon Name: Pelipper
Moveset Name: Wall
Move 1: Surf
Move 2: Toxic
Move 3: Stockpile
Move 4: Roost
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 Hp / 100 Def / 90 SpDef / 60 Spe / 8 SpAtk

Don't expect to turn any heads with this, but it isn't bad at all. After a Stockpile, Life Orb Max Attack Rhyperior fails to OHKO with Stone Edge, while Surf is an OHKO against 252 Hp/0 SpDef. Bulky Waters are crippled by Toxic if they try to switch in. The Speed EVs outrun the average Skarmory, CB Scizor, Swampert, and others.
Again, this is a decent set to use if you really want to use Pelipper. I've tested it, and it isn't bad, it's just not incredible.

Pokemon Name: Pelipper
Moveset Name: Wall
Move 1: Surf
Move 2: Toxic
Move 3: Stockpile
Move 4: Roost
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 Hp / 100 Def / 90 SpDef / 60 Spe / 8 SpAtk

Don't expect to turn any heads with this, but it isn't bad at all. After a Stockpile, Life Orb Max Attack Rhyperior fails to OHKO with Stone Edge, while Surf is an OHKO against 252 Hp/0 SpDef. Bulky Waters are crippled by Toxic if they try to switch in. The Speed EVs outrun the average Skarmory, CB Scizor, Swampert, and others.
Again, this is a decent set to use if you really want to use Pelipper. I've tested it, and it isn't bad, it's just not incredible.
Sorry, but Pelipper just isn't viable in OU. It is weak to Stealth Rock, has bad stats, is ruined by status, and has weaknesses to two very common attacking types. Pelipper can't be an effective wall because it can't switch into much at all. There is no OU team on which I'd prefer this Pelipper to a Skarmory or Swampert. This set seems like it would work better in NU, though, with all the Fighting and Ground moves being used there.

Sorry, but Pelipper just isn't viable in OU. It is weak to Stealth Rock, has bad stats, is ruined by status, and has weaknesses to two very common attacking types. Pelipper can't be an effective wall because it can't switch into much at all. There is no OU team on which I'd prefer this Pelipper to a Skarmory or Swampert. This set seems like it would work better in NU, though, with all the Fighting and Ground moves being used there.
True, true.
I did say he wasn't impressive or anything, but he's usable, at least.

I haven't tested this.
Set: Mixgross
EVs: 188 Atk/192 Spd/128 Sp.Atk
Nature: Naughty
Item: Life Orb
~Meteor Mash
~Earthquake
~HP Fire
~Grass Knot
In OU, Swampert walls Metagross (except for Explosion, but ghosts exist for that.) No longer! Grass Knot destroys Swampert, even without any entry hazards up. Scizor doesn't take much from anything (bar Explosion) and is free to SD up against Metagross. Or so it thinks. HP Fire kills Scizor. I should explain the EVs. 128 Sp.Atk is for OHKOing Scizor with HP Fire. 192 Spd is for outspeeding Scizor. The leftovers were put in Atk.

haunter

Banned deucer.
That set is already in the analysis, and the extra Spe EVs you put are not really useful as Scizor rarely runs more than 8 Spe EVs.

Set Name : CounterBliss
Blissey @ Leftovers
Evs : 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Ability : Natural Cure
Bold Nature
-Charm
-Counter
-Seismic Toss / Ice Beam
-Softboiled

Thanks to her gigantic HP, Blissey can actually do well against physical attackers, if she is given the right support. Switch her against something that can't hurt her then Charm the incoming physical attacker. You can then either use Counter to net a surprise KO or continue to spam Charm if you predict a switch, a stat-up move, or if you think you can handle it without revealing your secret weapon.

Reflect Support isn't mandatory (-2 LO Adamant Lucario Close Combat won't do more than 75% without a screen), but is preferable if you want additionnal insurance. Latias can fit this role well, since she resists Fighting and can greatly benefit from having removed the opponent's Pursuit trapper, lured in by Blissey.

You should also consider Spikes and Toxic Spikes Support, since this Blissey is likely to cause a lot of switches and Poison will prevent her from being stalled by pokemons with a recovery move.

Charm/Seismic Toss is illegal on Blissey, as Charm is a move only gotten from Happiny and Seismic Toss is a 3rd gen only Move Tutor.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Charm's cool I guess, but you're being counterproductive with Counter there. Not a lot of physical attacks can actually OHKO 252 / 252+ Blissey (the ones that can are usually free switches for Rotom or whatever), so Counter can net a situational kill if you really want to. Scizor and Tyranitar Pursuits are particularly nice to hit back. You really don't need Charm, especially when Charm kind of tends to force switches.

If you really insist on Charm, throwing in Stealth Rock to do something on the switch outs would be cool. Charm / SR / Softboiled / Flamethrower (Clear Body Metagross) is probably your best bet, I guess you could use Light Screen like the set in the analysis.

As for the Pelliper above, in general using stat boosts to bolster your Defense in order to beat things is a bad idea as after 6 or 7 turns the odds that you'll have been critted at least once in that time are higher than most people are comfortable with.

(the ones that can are usually free switches for Rotom or whatever)
How does Rotom get a free switch into an Outrage or Draco Meteor even if its unboosted? Close Combat I can understand but not the Dragon moves.

Also, have you considered Ice Beam in place of Seismic Toss so you thereby create a legal moveset?

edit: Also, Charm lowers attack. So why is Counter there? Charm is counterproductive (as Chris said) with Counter

Charm/Seismic Toss is illegal on Blissey, as Charm is a move only gotten from Happiny and Seismic Toss is a 3rd gen only Move Tutor.
Seismic Toss is now legal, since HG/SS also has both a Seismic Toss tutor and access to Happiny.

Charm's cool I guess, but you're being counterproductive with Counter there. Not a lot of physical attacks can actually OHKO 252 / 252+ Blissey (the ones that can are usually free switches for Rotom or whatever), so Counter can net a situational kill if you really want to. Scizor and Tyranitar Pursuits are particularly nice to hit back. You really don't need Charm, especially when Charm kind of tends to force switches.
Sure, Charm does lower Counter's damage output, but since Blissey has low defenses and more than twice the HPs of average physical pokemons, she doesn't have to take a lot of damage. For example, even if she only takes 25%, the opponent will still lose 357 HP, which is enough to OHKO pretty much anything you'll want to.

I tried this set, and these two moves actually work well together. Counter is crucial to net easy KO's against powerful physical threats (especially TTar, Scizor and Weavile, but also Clear Body Metagross) while Charm is really what prevents Blissey to be a set-up bait, especially for lucario, who can outspeed defensive Rotoms and OHKO with Crunch.

I just checked and you're right, but weirdly, Shoddy Battle doesn't consider this combination as illegal.

Also, i didn't answer to that :

As for the Pelliper above, in general using stat boosts to bolster your Defense in order to beat things is a bad idea as after 6 or 7 turns the odds that you'll have been critted at least once in that time are higher than most people are comfortable with.
Actually, when playing this set, you are never supposed to take physical hits for "6 or 7 turns". I usually spam Charm until my opponent either understands that switching is useless and starts to attack me or bring Metagross or Scizor, then i use Counter to get a KO or at least do heavy damage.

edit: Also, Charm lowers attack. So why is Counter there? Charm is counterproductive (as Chris said) with Counter
Even an Earthquake from a -2 Jolly Scarfed Flygon will still

I have been tesing this infernape lead lately and it does quite well:

Infernape @ lum berry (or focus sash)/ timid/ blaze
4 HP, 252 SAtk, 252 Spe

- Grass knot (for taking down Swampert and Hippowdon leads who think they can win against me)
- Flamethrower (For Roserade leads since lum berry will protect me from sleep powder, Fire Blast could be used as well but it has less acc.)
- Stealth Rock (Well, Infernape is a lead for something)
- Vacuum Wave (I prefer it over Fake Out because it get's STAB and can be used more then once, which is helpfull when used late game. Fake out is another option here)

--> Negative points about this set is that once the opponent finds out it's moveset it can be easly countered. No Close Combat means it has to manage without a powerful physical STAB move. But since the opponent will probably think it has CC I have the element of suprise.

Let me know what you think. ^^

Most likely lots of people have already brought up this set, or something rather similar. But I don't see the point of not posting it.

Metagross@Life Orb
Clear Body
112 Hp / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
-Gravity
-Earthquake
-Meteor Mash
-filler

Simple way to counter Rotom formes. Gravity on switch and then wreak havoc with Earthquake hitting every Pokemon in the game. And never missing STAB Meteor Mash is pretty cool too. Filler is there for whatever you want, Ice Punch for Grass types, Thunder Punch for Water types, or maybe a big nasty Explosion. Life Orb to give Metagross a kick in its Attack stat, but leftovers could probably work too. I haven't played competitively in a few months, so maybe you can tweak the EV's to make it better.

A bit gimmicky, but it gives Meta the ability to kill one of its main counters with relative ease. Haven't done calcs on that though, but you get the idea.

Again, I assume lots of people mentioned a set like this.

Most likely lots of people have already brought up this set, or something rather similar. But I don't see the point of not posting it.

Metagross@Life Orb
Clear Body
112 Hp / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
-Gravity
-Earthquake
-Meteor Mash
-filler

Simple way to counter Rotom formes. Gravity on switch and then wreak havoc with Earthquake hitting every Pokemon in the game. And never missing STAB Meteor Mash is pretty cool too. Filler is there for whatever you want, Ice Punch for Grass types, Thunder Punch for Water types, or maybe a big nasty Explosion. Life Orb to give Metagross a kick in its Attack stat, but leftovers could probably work too. I haven't played competitively in a few months, so maybe you can tweak the EV's to make it better.

A bit gimmicky, but it gives Meta the ability to kill one of its main counters with relative ease. Haven't done calcs on that though, but you get the idea.

Again, I assume lots of people mentioned a set like this.
ive tried it before, its not that great, then again i ran jolly with thunderpunch because it outran adamant gyarados but the damage output isnt enough. besides, not even close to half of teams have rotom/zapdos anyways to make it worth it

haunter

Banned deucer.
Well, I guess that if you use a gravity team that set may have some actual uses. I'm pretty sure that every Rotom would immediately switch out when they see gravity (if they switch in on the turn you use gravity) so maybe pursuit in the last slot may be a decent choice as with life orb, an adamant nature and max Atk it's gonna do a fair amount of damage.

I have been tesing this infernape lead lately and it does quite well:

Infernape @ lum berry/ timid/ blaze
4 HP, 252 SAtk, 252 Spe

- Grass knot (for taking down Swampert and Hippowdon leads who think they can win against me)
- Flamethrower (For Roserade leads since lum berry will protect me from sleep powder, Fire Blast could be used as well but it has less acc.)
- Stealth Rock (Well, Infernape is a lead for something)
- Vacuum Wave (I prefer it over Fake Out because it get's STAB and can be used more then once, which is helpfull when used late game)

--> Negative points about this set is that once the opponent finds out it's moveset it can be easly countered. No Close Combat means it has to manage without a powerful physical STAB move. But since the opponent will probably think it has CC I have the element of suprise.

Let me know what you think. ^^
There's already a Lead-Ape set, the difference here is that Infernape trades the ability to beat Azelf, Metagross, Tyranitar and Aerodactyl in order to beat... Swampert. Hippowdon still beats you imo.

There's already a Lead-Ape set, the difference here is that Infernape trades the ability to beat Azelf, Metagross, Tyranitar and Aerodactyl in order to beat... Swampert. Hippowdon still beats you imo.
Infernape leads rarely beat Metagross leads anyways. It doesn't run Sash-it runs Occa. EQ + Bullet Punch beats Infernape easily.

Infernape leads rarely beat Metagross leads anyways. It doesn't run Sash-it runs Occa. EQ + Bullet Punch beats Infernape easily.
I know >_>. Metagross uses a Lum Berry on the lead set just about as much as the Occa Berry, so it's a decent option to consider, too. Flamethrower doesn't OHKO, so...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)