New York Yankees - UU RMT

Well, congratulations to the Yankees for clinching the division as well as claiming a Playoff spot. But with them finishing the easy stuff, it's onto bigger and more greater things, the World Series. Being there 39 times and winning the World Series 26 times, put a lot of pressure on the '08-'09 Yanks. So, to honor them, I've dedicated this team for them.

This team is built around two things:
  • 1) Luring out a certain group of Pokemon
  • 2) Eliminating them
  • 3) Finishing off the rest off the opposing team
And
  • 1) Deceiving the opponent into believe I'm carrying a certain move set
  • 2) Finishing them for not finding the proper counter
If even one is accomplished, a win is anticipated. If not even one is accomplished, a loss inevitable.

---

Lead Off:

Derek Jeter @

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Rest
- Close Combat
- Pursuit

Why Derek Jeter: He's the one that puts the ball into motion. Derek leads off the team with strong base hits and lets the rest of his team pull him in for a run. Combined with Robinson Cano, they has 200 hits each. When they work together, they pull off great double plays too.

Why Hitmontop: Hitmontop has always got the ball rolling. He may not be able to defeat every single lead, *cough* Roserade *cough*, but he is able to deal with Stealth Rockers. Rapid Spin is to spin out those rocks that hurt Houndoom. Pursuit provide me a way to deal with NP Mismagius, should it ever come to that, dealing ~25-30% without it fleeing. Close Combat provides valuable STAB fighting move to deal with Registeel, Chansey, Clefable, Houndoom and other UU Pokemon that are weak to Fighting. Rest is the one that's very useful. Usually, I can't seem to get the HP back that's lost when I switch in with Hitmontop, since he's always taking a lot of damage from Surfs, Ice Beams, Grass Knots and the like. So, I decided to give Rest a try. It's seems to work very well with Chansey since Chansey can then Aromatherapy away the sleep status. This gives Hitmontop another chance to Rapid Spin or deal with Mismagius or even to just weaken the opponents.

---

Mark Teixeira @

Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 108 HP/148 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Magnet Rise
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt​

Why Mark Teixeira: He's always been hitting hard and getting base hits when needed. Many times, he also drives in Derek Jeter and they score the first run of the game. But the thing about him is that opposing pitchers have to second guess themselves because of Mark's power. He can hit home runs off of basically any pitch. Therefore, the pitchers have to be careful not to give him a fastball right down the middle because before they know it, it'll be in the outfield stands.

Why Magneton: Like Mark, Magneton also poses a problem for many people. Teams that carry Registeels, without Earthquake, and Steelix, who don't use Earthquake on the Pokemon that's out, Mismagius, have a hard time dealing with Magneton. Magneton traps and destroys Registeel and Steelix alike. With Substitute, he is protected by Registeel's Thunder Waves. Magnet Rise prevents Steelix from OHKO Magneton with Earthquake. Thunderbolt provides STAB against Registeel, and Hidden Power Ice is to deal with Steelix. I'm not using Hidden Power Fire for the sole purpose of defeating Stock Pile Torterra. HP Ice is 4x effective against Torterra and Steelix can't do anything with Magnet Rise up, besides Roar.

---

Offense

Nick Swisher @

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Crunch
- Heat Wave
- Super Fang
- Thunder Fang​

Why Nick Swisher: Nick Swisher is the hard hitting, patient home run and base hitter for the New York Yankees. One of the best thing about him is the fact that he can switch hit. His switch hitting abilities give him a spot on the batting order along with the other switch hitters.

Why Houndoom: Like Nick Swisher, Houndoom can also switch hit. With Thunder Fang, he can hit Milotic with SE damage as well as other Water types with low defense, Azumarill. But Thunder Fang also helps against Moltres who're stuck in Fire Blast/Flamethrower. Houndoom can come in and absorb the Fire Blast/Flamethrower due to Flash Fire and hit back with a Super Effective Thunder Fang. Super Fang is the secret to this Houndoom set. Super Fang is a move that removes 1/2 your opponent's current HP. So if a Pokemon had 100% HP, and Super Fang hits, they only have 50% left. The great thing about this is that it works to remove Softboiled and Recover healing. The removal of this healing is great for Houndoom, who can use his STAB moves, Heat Wave and Crunch to deal with the walls. Milotic loses Recover damage and is hurt with Thunder Fang, Wheezing is hurt with Super Fang and Heat Wave to remove him, while Chansey loses Softboiled damage and is dealt a quick KO with Crunch. This mixed wall breaker is only rivaled with Blaziken who can deal with Milotic, Chansey and Wheezing. But, Houndoom's STAB Crunch deals with Slowbro, while Blaziken has to resort to Hidden Power Grass or Electric. Blaziken is also slower than Roserade and will fall asleep before KOing Roserade. On the other hand, Houndoom is much faster than Roserade and therefore can deliver the quick STAB Heat Wave to Roserade and deal with her.

---

Melky Cabrera @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt​

Why Melky Cabrera: At first look, you may think that Brett Gardener is faster. But when you take a second look comparing Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardener, you see that Melky is slightly slower than Brett Gardener, but can produce runs. Brett Gardener on the other hand is an outfield man. His running is superb and his ability to make spectacular plays is unmatched. But Melky Cabrera holds the surprising home runs. He can surprise opposing pitchers trying to strike him out, but then realizing that they're down 1-0 because the "Melk Man" delivers.

Why Mismagius: Like the way the "Melk Man" delivers home runs, Mismagius delivers KOs with surprise. People think that I run a meager Sub + CM Standard Mismagius. But, then I sub and they switch to Milotic. That's when I Nasty Plot and finish off with Thunderbolt. Substitute prevents statuses from Milotic such as Toxic and Thunder Wave from the likes of Registeel, who'd already be dead, and Chansey, who'd die from Houndoom. After Sub is up, I proceed to Nasty Plot which essentially doubles Mismagius' Special Attack. From there, I use the combo of STAB Shadow Ball, to deal with various Grass and Ground types, and Thunderbolt, to deal with the abundance of water types in UU. I previously used Hidden Power Fighting, but it didn't provide me with a strong way of dealing with Milotic, who seems to be a very potent threat to any unprepared UU teams due to the removal of Shaymin. Thunderbolt puts not only Milotic in her spot, but also deals with various other Flying and Water types such as Moltres, Articuno, Feraligatr, Azumarill, Crawdaunt, Kingler and Blastoise.

---

Defense

Mariano Rivera @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Haze
- Pain Split
- Thunderbolt​

Why Mariano Rivera: Also known as "Moe", Mariano Rivera is the closer for the Yankees. With 585 save opportunities and 523 saves, Mariano is one of the best closers in not only the Yankees, but in MLB. Mariano comes into the 9th inning, rarely the 8th, and picks up a win for the Yankees when it's a close game.

Why Weezing: Weezing is just like Mariano Rivera. He comes in when a threat is found. By removing the threat, the other team members get a chance to wrap up the game. But, Weezing is also a very strong saver. If I find a physical Pokemon that starts setting up, bring in Weezing to take care of it. Flamethrower + Thunderbolt helps to deal with various Grass, Steels, Water and Flying types. Being my best counter to DD Feraligatr, I decided to give Weezing Haze. Haze helps to deal with any stat uppers, such as Feraligatr and Crawdaunt. The greatest thing about this set is the ability to heal and damage the opponent at the same time. With Pain Split, I split the HP between me and my opponent. This is a great way to deal very bulky Pokemon such as Registeel since he cannot heal.

---

Jorge Posada @

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/4 Spd/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave​

Why Jorge Posada: Jorge has always made up the defensive backbone of the Yankees. With him behind the plate, very few people have a chance to steal home on a wild pitch. His ability to block wild pitches and prevent base runners from stealing is absolutely amazing. But the one thing he lacks is power. He doesn't have the power to hit it hard and far. What he lacks in that, he makes up for by giving good signs to get the batter out.

Why Chansey: Like Jorge, Chansey is slow and weak offensively. What she lacks in that, she makes up for defensively by taking care of the opponent. She slows them down with Thunder Wave. But not only that, she's a defensive juggernaut. Her ability to heal herself and rid her teammates of statuses is unmatched in UU. Thunder Wave takes care of fast Pokemon who can hit and run, such as Ambipom, Floatzel, Mismagius and Scarfed Pokemon. From there, she can proceed to eliminate the sleep, poison, paralyzation or even the burn that's affected the other Pokemon with Aromatherapy. Besides that, she can heal herself with Softboiled and take a bunch of Special hits like Surfs, Ice Beams, Grass Knots, Hidden Powers and the like.

---​

That wraps up the team. Once again, I want to congratulate the '08-'09 Yankees for making it to the Playoffs. Now it's time to relax until October when Post season starts. Looking to see the Yankees continue their legacy to 27 World Series games won.

So, rate/hate/steal/change/whatever, but just help me make this team better.

Considering a Clefable over Chansey since Clefable can use:

- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Suggestions?

Threat List:

Red = Major Problem
Orange = Problem

Defensive Threats

Articuno - Since I don't have Stealth Rock, one of the best things to do is to hamper it's Pressure abilities by Paralyzing it. If it has Sub up, then I can go to Houndoom and do a quick KO with Heat Wave. Not really a threat.

Blastoise - Easily dealt with. Since I have no Stealth Rock on my team, no reason to worry about Rapid Spin. All this attacks are absorbed by Chansey and Hitmontop, if need be.

Chansey - Not too big of a problem. My own Chansey can take it's hits, but if it switches into Houndoom's Super Fang, it's gone.

Claydol - No reason to worry Rapid Spin since I have no SR. But again, if it switches into anyone but Chansey, it's gonna have a problem switching back out without someone on it's team getting hurt.

Clefable - Haven't seen too many, but I handle them like Chansey. Basically a weaker defensive Chansey. But, this one can only come in on Weezing since my other Pokemon can set up on it or KO it.

Drapion - Kinda a problem due to Toxic Spikes, but since it's has higher defense than Special defense, this guy could be a problem. Usually can come in on all with relative ease.

Gastrodon - Curse Gastrodon pisses me off, but he's rarely seen on any other team barring SS. So, not too hard to deal with since Houndoom has Super Fang and I can Haze with Weezing.

Lanturn - Can come in on Magneton, Chansey, Weezing and Mismagius' Electric moves, but can't really do anything since the defensive backbone of this team can take hits and absorb basically all that Lanturn wants to throw at it.

Lapras - No Grass moves on this team means that I gotta watch for Curse/DD Lapras. But, I can Haze with Weezing and finish CC from Hitmontop or even T-Fang from Houndoom.

Meganium - Haven't seen too many of these, but I can set up with Mismagius, Houndoom can HW this, Hitmontop can Rapid Spin or even hit with CC if I need to. Not really a threat.

Milotic - Big problem since it can take hits like Chansey from both sides of the spectrum, while it's sleeping. Houndoom can Super Fang while it's asleep and Thunder Fang it. But, Mismagius can also Set up on Resters without Sleep Talk.

Miltank - Like many others, haven't seen a lot of these, but I can paralyze, CC, Super Fang + Crunch, Pain Split, etc. Not a threat.

Moltres - Defensive Moltres aren't really a threat since most Pokemon have an electric move to deal with it.

Muk - Curse Muk are dealt with Haze and Sub Mismagius. No threat.

Nidoqueen - Virtually non-existent. Roserade seems to have taken it's place as Toxic Spiker. H

Quagsire - Recover Quagsire doesn't scare me. Can't do anything since Weezing takes all it's attacks like a champ. Hitmontop can RS against this.

Regirock - Beastly under SS. Usually I sacrifice Houndoom and Super Fang it then I CC with Hitmontop while taking a lot of damage. Big threat. However uncommon.

Registeel - Magneton traps and kills.

Rotom - Defensive Rotom can't do anything to this team. Houndoom can Crunch, and Mismagius can Shadow Ball or even set up. Chansey can Aromatherapy away the Paralyzation if I mis-predict.

Shuckle - Same like Regirock. Beast under SS. Otherwise, trash. Houndoom can Super Fang or Chansey can T-Wave and Hitmontop can RS.

Slowbro - Haven't seen too many of these since NP Mismagius is rumored to be everywhere. However could be a problem if I can't set up on it with my own Mismagius.

Spiritomb - Virtually non-existent. Same boat as Slowbro though. Mismagius can set up, Houndoom can capitalize on Spiritomb who use WoW.

Uxie - Defensive, yet taken care of. Mismagius can set up, Houndoom can Crunch and Super Fang if need be. Hitmontop can Pursuit Psychic-less Uxie.

Weezing - Mismagius can set up, Houndoom can Super Fang + Heat Wave for a KO.

Offensive Threats

Absol - Haven't seen too many, but can be a problem if it SDs, however Weezing can only take so many hits. Kinda a problem for SD Absol. CB Absol stuck in Sucker Punch help to heal Weezing if he's weakened or even Hitmontop can Rapid Spin against him. Only a problem if it's SD Absol.

Altaria - Haven't seen too many offensive Altaria, barring 1 DD Altaria, but again, Weezing Hazes and T-Bolts if necessary. Not too big of a problem.

Ambipom - Weezing takes this guy's hits like a champ.

Arcanine - Hitmontop intimidates, Weezing takes physical hits, Chansey takes special hits.

Azumarill - CB Aqua Jet is taken by Hitmontop and Weezing. Not too big of a problem as long as I get to defeating it early in the match while Weezing is still alive.

Blaziken - Scarf Mixken isn't a problem as long as I out predict it. If I mis predict, I got a problem.

Drapion - Weezing takes all of this guy's hits like a champ. Little concerned about Critical SD Night Slash, but I'll be ok as long as Weezing and Hitmontop can take these hits.

Feraligatr - Not a chance. Can't come in on anything except Chansey. Weezing can Haze DDers and T-Bolt, Mismagius can T-Bolt. Chansey can T-Wave. Magneton can T-Bolt.

Hitmontop - Technitop is dealt with by Weezing taking hits. Slight problem since Houndoom can't come in on CC.

Honchkrow - All physical Honchkrow are taken care of by Weezing. Special Honchkrow have to deal with Chansey. Mixed Honchkrow don't do enough to Weezing to deal with it. Houndoom can Thunder Fang it. If it comes in on Mismagius' Sub, Mismagius can T-Bolt.

Houndoom - Mixed Houndoom can be a problem, but Physical are taken care of by CC by Hitmontop or Weezing's T-Bolt.

Magmortar - Virtually non-existent. Haven't seen any, but mixed will be taken care of by Mismagius' speed, Houndoom can Crunch, Chansey can T-Wave specs Magmortar. Weezing takes all physical assaults.

Mismagius - My own Mismagius can speed tie or beat HP Fighting Mismagius. No real counter to this, except Chansey at best.

Nidoking - Not a problem. Most attacks are taken by Weezing. Choiced are Intimidated and Ice Beamed by Hitmontop then Weezing.

Poliwrath - Bulk Up + Sub are problem, but Haze + Intimidate helps. Otherwise, not a problem.

Primeape - Virutally non-existent. Weezing takes everything that Primeape can throw at him.

Roserade - Specs are taken care of by Chansey, Weezing can take a few hits, Mismagius can set up on -2 Roserade, Houndoom KOs with HW.

Sceptile - Mixed are not too big of a problem. But this guy is too weak to deal any damage, even with Specs against Weezing. Houndoom can come in on Leaf Blades/Leaf Storms and OHKO with HW.

Sharpedo - Read Feraligatr.

Swellow - Owned by all the Electric attacks on this team. Physical hits are taken by Weezing at best. Hitmontop intimidates the lead ones.

Tauros - Virtually non-existent. Magneton can come in on Return and KO with Thunder Bolt. Gotta watch out for non-CBed EQs. Weezing can take hits and Pain Split if needed.

Typhlosion - Houndoom laughs at this. Mismagius can set up on ones that are stuck on EQ.

Ursaring - Read Tauros.

Venusaur - Lol, offensive Venusaur. Haven't seen one, but Specs are taken by Chansey and Weezing takes Physical.

Quite an interesting team. I am not sure how well it will work in such an offensive metagame and I also don't know how it handles any weather team. I don't have time for a full rate But I will definately come back to give my two sense if that matters.

As for now I would recommend toxicroak over houndoom. He can act as a wall breaker although slower he as many priority options but also stat boosting moves if you prefer. Furthermore Toxicroak can come in on milotic which is just annoying for your team. He also possess the ability to counter rain teams quite well which could pose a problem if well built. Finally he also absorbs toxic spikes that you have listed a problem. He also can revenge or come in on the dance and handle absol with his stab priority.

However adding him would add a large psychic weakness to your team. To fix that I would replace weezing with def milotic who can absorb status while also being a solid wall. If he possess hp grass he handles gastrodon or you can keep haze to handle gatr even better weezing can. Furthermore she possess a reliable recovery move which is nessacary for anything brave enough to be a wall in this offensive metagame.

Like I said I will be back to give a full rate but those are just some things to think about. I would also like to point out that the team is on the slower side.

Hitmontop should be running Lum Berry so it can recover from leading Roserades and Sleep Powder.

Toxicroak and Blaziken do a lot better in the wallbreaking area then Houndoom does, so consider one of their sets.

Also, the Yankees aren't UU. They're OU. (Doesn't mean I'm a Yanks fan)

-Terywj

Ya I'm considering a SD Drapion over Houndoom.

- Swords Dance
- Night Slash
- Earthquake
- Cross Poison

Yankees are bigger than ubers btw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)