XY OU Nickelodeon (A Mega Blastoise Team)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUrZNG7v5nA
CTCs Rap at 3:53

Hello guys, having played XY since its conception around 9 months ago, this is easily one of my top two favorite teams to use, and one of the teams I've done the best with in XY. This team was built 9 months ago (by Toxzn + Me), less than a month after XY came out, to put that into perspective Mega Kangaskhan was still OU. As the metagame developed and new threats became popularized so did the team. However, since its becoming apparent that Aegislash is getting banned, I do not think I will be able to adapt this team any further as it is the quintessential piece of winning so many match ups. As you read this RMT I will point out changes from the original, and how this team was able to stay successful through so many different XY metagames. This team was able to peak high on several ladders, as well as get me wins in Superstars, Official Smogon Tournament IX, Smogon Tour, New Kids on the Block, and the XY OU Team Tour. Shout Out boudouche for the future format. It is not the best team ever created, but it has always been reliable for me.... for 9 freaking months.

Team Building Process: Mega Kangaskhan Meta

The original goal of the team was to check the overpowered megas, Mega Kangaskhan, and Mega Lucario. Rocky Helmet Garchomp was really popular at the time for beating Kangaskhan so we used that. It also got Stealth Rocks, bonus!

Aegislash seemed really cool for checking Mega Lucario, its BST was way too good to pass up. In addition, it has very nice defensive coverage with Garchomp resisting fairy, ice, and dragon. I'm pretty sure it has had this set since the team was made, so CTC must have already innovated mixed Aegislash by then.

After Garchomp and Aegislash the team needed a nuke, Dragonite was really good, and it also floated which helped for switching into Landorus-T which was pretty popular at the time to check Kangas and Lucario without Ice Punch. Talonflame was really popular then and Dragonite could smack it was CB Extremspeed.

At this point the team wanted additional coverage against Megas, from what I remember the most popular were Kangaskhan, Lucario, and then either Mega Gyarados, or Mega DD Charizard-X. However, basically every team had Kangaskhan it was too good to not use. After Rocks and some chip damage Choice Scarf Keldeo could easily revenge kill Kangaskhan, and it also outsped Lucario +1 Gyarados and +1 Charizard X. Keldeo was also a switch in for Bisharp at the time who everyone started to realize was amazing because it got a boost on defog, as well as cancerous Genesect U-turn spam... It could Flamethrower Aegislash and Ice Beam Garchomp :(

Then the team needed even more help for Mega Kangaskhan, yes, this thing was way too powerful. Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn made matches vs Kanga teams easy wins. Ferrothorn I think originally had Thunder Wave, and some other weird moves but this was all subject to change. Ferrothorn was also another steel-type which helped switch into Fairy and Dragon attacks.

Finally, the team needed a way to remove hazards, mainly for Dragonite. It already had Stealth Rocks, and Ferrothorn could run Spikes, although I do not remember if it had Spikes at the time. I didn't want to use Defog, so I used Rapid Spin. Excadrill seemed pretty lack luster it had to run Choice Scarf Moldbreaker at the time, Sand Rush Excadrill wasn't a thing yet because Rotom-W was so popular (#1 in usage iirc). Choice Scarf Excadrill obviously didn't fit on the team, and it needed a mega so boom, Mega Blastoise. Probably would have never been thought of but CTC mentioned him in his rap so how could someone forget...

Team Building Process: Mega Lucario / Genesect Meta

The differences during this new meta were not too drastic. Ferrothorn did not need Rocky Helmet anymore, and because almost every Mega Lucario became special, I added a Choice Specs Keldeo, because Aegislash checks it fine... If you're wondering why Bisharp + Lucario didn't destroy me, as you can see by Sinclair's RMT, nobody ran Pursuit Sharp yet, so I just went into Keldeo. Choice Specs Keldeo also gave me a chance at beating Stall, which became increasingly popular as Mega Lucario suspect discussions picked up. Ferrothorn also had Spikes all the time at this point, Dragon Tail Garchomp + Spikes + Rocks was incredibly good when Clefable wasn't too popular yet. Genesect was really annoying but couldn't do to much to the team especially if it was Choice Scarf, which was the most common set. Choice Band was harder to deal with, and was always a better set, but it was neutered down hazards as well as Rocky Helmet damage from Garchomp.

Team Building Process: Deoxys-S / Deoxys-D Meta

Another meta that was not challenging for this team at all. I am willing to argue Mega Blastoise is the single best check to hazard teams besides like Espeon, because it could easily kill Bisharp, Aegislash, and Deoxys-D, and almost always got hazards off the field for me. Mega Pinsir became a little more popular at the time, so I had to play a little more careful with Garchomp to have a chance. Deoxys-S was pretty bad vs Aegislash, which could then Shadow Ball whatever it wanted. Since most teams only had one switch in to the thing, probably Mandibuzz, or SpDef Heatran, I could easily double to Specs Keldeo and kill something so easily. CBB helped me change my mind, Ban Aegislash oml... Baton Pass was also a winnable matchup but I had to get up hazards and leech seed, then I usually relied on Aegislash to kill something or pull off a Dragon Tail with Garchomp.

Team Building Process: Current Meta

I actually think this is the worst meta for this team because it used to capitalize so much on countering broken pokemon. Mega Kanga, Genesect, Mega Lucario, and Deos were never problems for the team, which meant my opponent did not have a Mega like Charizard Y or Pinsir to destroy me (if they had Mega Lucario or Mega Kangaskhan). Balance team are generally the hardest match ups for me but it depends on the build. In addition, Deo Sharp teams were free wins too. Sinclair and aim probably remember playing this team dozens of times on high PO ladder. Now without all the autowins the team does not do as good as it used to. Furthermore, people use things like Mew and Alomomola, as well as full stall with a fairy, which the team was never prepared to beat. Full Stall is a winnable matchup but I need to maintain hazard control. Mega Manectric is also a little more often used now than it used to be. The biggest advantage is that Rain has become more popular and I have 4 rain resistances... which is my new free win. However, there is a huge drop down from Rain usage compared to Mega Kanga, Mega Lucario, etc usage.​

The Final Team

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
  • Stealth Rock Stealth Rocks are a necessary move on every team.
  • Dragon Tail This move was Dragon Claw for a while, but Dragon Tail does better against Stall.
  • Earthquake A no brainer. It does more damage to neutral opponents than Dragon Claw does.
  • Fire Blast Needed to hit Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and mostly Skarmory on Stall.

Garchomp still holds its place on my team for helping me abuse hazards. It shuffles around both offense and stall well. In addition, it helps check Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and basically everything with physical attacking moves. I can kill Aegislash switching in Garchomp on Shadow Sneak... that's pretty cool. Garchomp and Ferrothorn are the two most important Pokemon for beating stall. I think Sub Toxic Aegislash might help, but I never actually tried it, and I'd have to add a lot of Special Defense because I'd be way to weak to Mega Manectric without it. 60 Speed used to be necessary for outspeeding Adamant Lucario before the Mega Evolution and Timid Heatran, it can probably be change to something more optimal now. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and Def to help me check Talonflame and Mega Pinsir Pinsir, it also comfortably takes a +2 Sucker Punch from Mega Mawile which is cool. Naive nature is also fine because the speed benchmark is pretty important and Garchomp does not take much special hits anyways. A Special Attack lowering nature would be detrimental to the teams chances of beating stall.

Aegislash (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Nature: Quiet (+SpA, -Spe)
  • Shadow Ball Needed to hit Rotom-W and Mew.
  • King's Shield Needed on every defensive Aegislash.
  • Flash Cannon Needed to hit Clefable, Flash Cannon>Iron Head because of WoW.
  • Shadow Sneak Necessary priority.

Mixed Aegislash is an incredible Pokemon. I changed my mind, get this thing out of the metagame. I was a little selfish because I use this thing on all my teams, and don't want them all to be useless... I used it on all my teams cause its almost too good to not use. Shadow Ball smacks Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Heatran, all for at least 30%, and those are the most common switch ins outside of Mandibuzz. Flash Cannon is really important for Clefable. 8 Speed is to beat other defensive Aegislash. I added 12 attack because things used to live Shadow Sneaks with 1%, but not anymore... In honesty, it does not make much of a difference iirc 16 attack KOs Tyranitar with Secret Sword. King's Shield is what makes Aegislash so good, unless you're running offensive Aegislash with some nice synergy, I think it is foolish to not use it. Aegislash is amazing for switching into Latios and Latias, and it can even lead you to do cool things like Scald again on a Latias, because your opponent will predict your obvious switch to Aegislash and go to Heatran or something. One last thing, -SpDef nature is not an option, it makes you fall over to Keldeo and Greninja. Oh yeah, "one more thing," Sub Toxic Aegislash is easily usable here to help remedy my weakness to stall. There's another importable version at the end with Sub Toxic Aegislash.

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
  • Extreme Speed Extreme Speed is a main win condition.
  • Outrage Necessary to hit Mega Venusaur.
  • Earthquake Hits Aegislash hard, and nice base power.
  • Fire Punch Necessary for hitting Skarmory.

Banded Dragonite is still the nuke it used to be in BW OU. Fairies really did not do it wrong, the only real commons ones are Mawile, Azumarill, and Clefable. It also has the advantage of shortened sand, and Defog to remove Stealth Rocks. Extreme Speed checks nearly every Mega Pokemon in the game especially with hazard Support. Fire Punch, Earthquake, and Outrage are all obvious. EVs are incredibly standard, Adamant nature is necessary for doing a truck load to Venusaur. The only real problem you'll ever run into is an Aegislash + Landorus-T core... pair that with a Keldeo check and the matchup is nightmarish x: probably the only bad one besides Mega Manectric and Mega Charizard Y can be tough.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
  • Secret Sword Needed for hitting Chansey.
  • Scald Accurate STAB with a chance to burn.
  • Hydro Pump More powerful STAB necessary for getting KOs.
  • Hidden Power [Flying] Needed for hitting Mega Venusaur.

The second nuke on my team. Keldeo serves the purpose of blowing up balance cores and stall cores to help aid Dragonite's sweep. Timid Nature is necessary because speed ties are frequent especially with the increased Terrakion usage. Everything about Keldeo is incredibly standard, it has good synergy with Aegislash and Ferrothorn because its best counters are Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur, and Latis, those two come in on all and either Shadow Ball or set up Spikes. The other thing which is cool is that Blastoise can kill Latias easily with Dark Pulse and open up a sweep for Keldeo. Sub Calm Mind is probably an option to help vs stall because Quagsire is becoming more uncommon, it also helps vs Latias + Landorus-T type cores etc. However, I love the immediate power of Choice Specs.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
  • Spikes Necessary for beating stall and aiding Dragonite sweeps.
  • Protect Scouts choice items and helps heal.
  • Leech Seed Also needed for stall helps heal teammates.
  • Gyro Ball Hits most of the metagame hard. Knock Off is better vs Stall.

Ferrothorn is so good. You need to be careful against Mega Mawile, if they come in on Spikes the game can be over very quickly. Mega Mawile was barely used when the team was made so... lol. Leech Seed and Spikes are so necessary for stall, the EV spread is directly from the BW Dex entry iirc. Protect is really important for scouting choice moves, Scarf Landorus-T comes to mind. Relaxed speeds up Gyro Ball, the other cool thing about Ferrothorn is that it can come in on other Ferrothorn and use Spikes... If they have Spikes too, I have Defog soo... It's not to big of an issue. Ferrothorn's resistances make it so easy to use, its really easy to double switch in Garchomp, Keldeo, Blastoise on the incoming Heatrans.

Blastoise (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent --> Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
  • Water Pulse Chance to confuse with perfect accuracy boosted by Mega Launcher.
  • Rapid Spin Removes hazards.
  • Aura Sphere Hits Ferrothorn hard, boosted by Mega Launcher.
  • Dark Pulse Chance to flinch and kills ghost types, boosted by Mega Launcher.

Cut and dry the very best spinner in the game. Excadrill will get better once Air Balloon Aegislash is out of here, but for the first almost year of XY being a tier, Mega Blastoise was by far the best. I'll be the first to say it usually isn't amazing, but it has its niche. It runs through Landorus-T + Latias + Aegislash cores, and it uses Rapid Spin... not Defog! Yay for keeping hazards. It probably used to be a little better before Assault Vest Azumarill surged in popularity (thanks Hugo...), but thats no issue... Free Ferrothorn = Free Spikes. Mega Blastoise is the only spinning Mega Evolution, and from what it looks like might be the only one in the RS remakes as well. The only other hazard removing mega I have seen used is Aerodactyl, and if you are using that to Defog in OU, you are doing something wrong. 400 + SpA is nothing to laugh at especially with the freedom to switch attacks, insane coverage, solid bulk, and the ability to remove hazard. Mega Blastoise definitely need either Wish support though, or the Support of Leech Seed, or else it is worn down way too quickly. However, if I could make it work you could too...

----

Example of some relevant match ups:

Rain (Superstars vs Earthworm): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-11955
Deoxys-S/Mega Mawile (Metro test vs Navy): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126479787
Mega Scizor (Metro test vs Psychological): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126474034
Mega Mawile (Superstars vs Rewer): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-15862
New Kids on the Block Finals (Sub Toxic Aegislash): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-ubers-820334

Just some quick notes: Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard-Y, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Mawile with Sub Punch or SD Fire Fang, can all be difficult for the team. None of them are unwinnable match ups, but they are difficult if the player using my team does not recognize the difficulties of the matchup. The key to winning with this team like most others is to recognize the weaknesses first, and make sure you sweep before you are swept... Basically if you see a Manectric DO NOT let Aegislash take damage. With all that being said Mega Scizor match ups are usually free wins, and teams that do not have defog.

Shout Outs
Since I might get banned from Smogon for being stupid... shout outs to everyone on the Wolfpack last year and US Metro. PDC Bluwing Melee Mewtwo Hack He Must ZoroDark Sweep Pwnemon Arcticblast (pls don't use Eevee's ever again) lucariojr Stathakis Audiosurfer Lohgock Philip7086 Stone_Cold LightningLuxray Chenkovsky Professor Birch all you guys who put in hard work in the VGC Analaysis section. blarajan McMeghan for getting me on an SPL team, and McMeghan again for always believing in me. King for being my first friend (but you still suck) Laga cause you give me doubles teams o.o Vinc2612 for being like the nicest guy ever... I probably missed so many... generic shout out to all the guys in #ubers on Pokemon Showdown most of you are pretty cool. Oglemi :] my friend Jellicent super nice

The guys in IDM... I remember a year ago you all hated me so somewhat acceptance is pretty cool -Tsunami- blunder PROBLEMS Edgar whatever Cased is on Smogon... Hot N Cold :] Unbirthday of course... everyone I missed who was on Team EU for POWC so like CrashinBoomBang Asuya Conflict and some other IDM guys

Thanks to ppl like bro fist for realizing I am not as bad as I was as a 12 year old on Regileague... Some acknowledgement is nice

Thanks to CTC for being my inspiration to innovate (besides freaking Lady Bug of course)... I amm probably going to archive all my old teams with Crawdaunt, offensive Amoonguss, etc after Aegislash ban if I am not forum banned. I would never have such a fine RMT title if not for you... and your snapchat stories get their own shoutout too :{|}

Special shout outs to two unnamed users for always motivating me to become better by consistently calling me bad. I would have quit Pokemon a long time ago if I was not always trying to prove you wrong. I know I don't have a trophy, but my non official tour performance over the last year speaks for itself.
Mixed Aegislash + Specs Keldeo
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

EVs: 236 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak

Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
Sub Toxic Aegislash + CM Keldeo
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Toxic
- Substitute

Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse

Last edited:
Standard OU Offensive Threats
Aegislash:
Mixed - Annoying but not an issue, Ferrothorn can Leech Seed, and Garchomp can come in then SR on King's Shield, then Dragon Tail on the switch.
SubToxic - Wasn't really common until the most recent meta, but this set is annoying as hell, usually I need to sac Garchomp or Mega Blastoise to kill it. It's not going to sweep obviously but it should get a kill.
Offensive Swords Dance - Not an issue at all, Garchomp easily outspeeds and also has Rocky Helmet.
Full Out Attacker - Also not an issue it just does a little more damage to Garchomp, and Ferrothorn becomes the additional check over Blastoise.

Aerodactyl Mega:
Full Out Attacker - Never seen one run Fire Fang so Ferrothorn has always done fine.

Alakazam Mega:
Full out attacker - Priority handles this fine, Aegislash beats it unless I bring it in on like Shadow Ball.

Ampharos Mega:
Agility - Ferrothorn and Aegislash do fine.

Azelf:
Lead - Mega Blastoise poops on lead Azelf... I also have Aegislash.
Dual Screens - Aegislash should be able to stop it from getting up hazards, and sometimes a screen.

Azumarill:
Belly Drum - Brick Break can be a pain, but Hazards + Rocky Helmet on Garchomp + Extreme Speed from Dragonite stops it.
Choice Band - Ferrothorn + Aegislash usually handles it with the Fighting-type immunity.
Assault Vest - Walls Keldeo and Blastoise but Ferrothorn easily comes in.

Bisharp:
Swords Dance - Keldeo deals with this fine. I also have Rocky Helmet on Garchomp.
Pursuit - Really annoying because it traps Aegislash which I need to beat things like Mega Manectric. Aegislash also helps me pick off shit like Keldeo, so then they would be able to have a parade.

Blastoise Mega:
Offensive Rapid Spin - Keldeo does fine. They can't Aura Sphere the switch because I have Aegislash. Alternatively, I can go Aegislash first then Keldeo on the Dark Pulse.

Breloom:
Physical Attacker - Ferrothorn
Lead - Ferrothorn
Swords Dance - Ferrothorn + Aegislash

Charizard Mega X :
Dragon Dance - Extreme Speed + Stealth Rocks + Rocky Helmet, if Zard gets a clean DD with hazards up on done... but like Mega Blastoise eats a +1 Dragon Claw, and I have a lot of hazard pressure which makes it hard for Zard to set up.
Bulky Will-O-Wisp - The key is recognizing it in team preview. Keldeo can come in on a WoW, it's not a big deal, but it can cripple my team severely.

Charizard Mega Y :
Full Out Attacker - Huge pain with Stealth Rocks up I'm forced to Sac things. My best bet is going to Dragonite first but then Zard just switches to Aegislash on the Extreme Speed... Keldeo also outspends.

Conkeldurr:
Assault Vest - Need to play well vs this, it became popular toward the end of Mega Lucario meta. Dragonite smashes it though.
Bulk Up - Never been an issue because Specs Keldeo drops it with some spikes damage. It's also slower than Aegislash so I can shadow ball if Keldeo can't pick up the kill.

Crawdaunt:
Swords Dance - Keldeo
Choice Band - Keldeo

Diggersby:
Choice Scarf - Aegislash + Ferrothorn + Dragonite
Choice Band - Aegislash + Ferrothorn + Dragonite, Keldeo revenges
Swords Dance - This can sweep me if it gets an SD with max HP, and my Aegislash + Keldeo are weakened. Hopefully Dragonite can revenge.
Focus Sash - I have so much hazards it shouldn't have sash.

Ditto:
Choice Scarf - I don't have any set up sweepers so it's not an issue.

Dragonite:
Dragon Dance - Only an issue with Dragon Claw, if not I have my own Dragonite and Rocky Hemet.
Choice Band - My core can easily switch around this
Bulky Roost - Depends on the move set, if the 4th move is fire punch i'm in trouble, if not I can leech seed then go to Garchomp, then KO with Extreme Speed after chip damage.

Dugtrio:
Trapper - Can't trap Aegislash because of Ghost mechanics in Gen VI lol.

Entei:
Full Out Attacker - I have four fire resists and these are usually Choice Band

Espeon:
Dual Screens - Always lead Aegislash vs Espeon teams that aren't full Baton Pass. Pain though because I cannot hazard stack, but usually I can risk it then spin worst case scenario.
Baton Pass - Very hard to win unless I'm vs someone bad -.-

Excadrill:
Rapid Spin - Aegislash can block the spin, then I can go Dragonite or something. Not a big deal.
Choice Scarf - Non issue with Aegislash
Sand Rush - SD can be really bad if Ferrothorn is weakened.

Galvantula:
Sticky Web Lead -

Garchomp:
Swords Dance - Keldeo does a boat load after hazards + Ferrothorn.
Choice Band - Nobody uses this anymore, and my core deals with it fine.
Choice Scarf - Was never an issue since Sinclair's DeoSharp team.
Stealth Rock - Pathetically weak unless it's LO, if my opponent leads Chomp I play Ferrothorn more cautiously, but Keldeo still smacks it with Hydro Pump.

Garchomp Mega:
Full out attacker - Nobody really uses this but I don't have a safe switch in, and Draco Meteors are really strong.

Gardevoir:
Choice Scarf - Aegislash

Gardevoir Mega:
Offensive Calm Mind - Aegislash
Attacker - Aegislash

Gengar:
Taunt + Will-O-Wisp - Gyro Ball from Ferrothorn still breaks subs through burn.
Full Out Attacker - Just switch around until Aegislash comes in safely, but nobody really uses this.

Greninja:
All Out Attacker - Lol it all depends on the move set. I usually lose a mon if it has HP Fire, but if not Ferrothorn does fine unless it gets flinched.

Gyarados:
Substitute Dragon Dance - Keldeo can take a +1 Earthquake, and Rocky Helmet + Extreme Speed from Dragonite should kill after rocks. I also have Dark Pulse from Mega Blastoise.
Offensive Dragon Dance - Less of an issue then Substitute because Ferrothorn can beat it.

Gyarados Mega:
Dragon Dance - Same as Sub DD regular Gyarados

Honchkrow:
Full Out Attacker - It basically kills itself hitting Garchomp.

Heatran:
Choice Scarf / Specs - I have 4 fire-resists
Air Balloon - I usually kill it with water-type attacks so the balloon changes nothing

Heracross Mega:
Swords Dance - Swords Dance that lacks EQ is walled by Aegislash. Keldeo kills it easily after hazards.
Full Out Attacker - They usually earthquake predicting Aegislash, so it's usually not my initial switch in. Then I go to Aegislash on the next move and Shadow Ball + Sneak.

Houndoom Mega:
Nasty Plot - Easily killed by Extreme Speed from Dragonite + hazards
Mixed attacker - Same as above

Kabutops:
Choice Band - Ferrothorn and Aegislash
Swords Dance - Ferrothorn and Aegislash

Keldeo:
Choice Specs - Water + Ghost core handles it fine
Calm Mind - Depends if it has an Ice move it can be annoying but they're usually sub CM so Dragonite does fine
Choice Scarf - Easier to beat then specs because my team has no speed anyways...

Kingdra:
Rain Dance - Ferrothorn
Choice Specs - Ferrothorn

Kyurem-B:
Substitute - Ferrothorn
Mixed - Ferrothorn, nobody uses HP Fire anymore.
Choice Scarf - Ferrothorn.

Landorus:
Special Attacker - Need to predict well but if it kills something it's free Keldeo so whatever.
Choice Scarf - Less of a problem than the Special Attacker because my team is slow and its weaker.

Landorus-T:
Double Dancer - Ferrothorn
Choice Scarf - Ferrothorn
Pivot - Ferrothorn + free SR with Chomp. (Hidden Power [Ice] isn't as common anymore because Rock Slide is needed for Talonflame + Zard-Y)

Latias:
Life Orb Tank - Aegislash

Latios:
Life Orb - Aegislash
Choice Scarf - Aegislash
Choice Specs - Aegislash

Lucario:
Swords Dance - Aegislash + Keldeo... I guess EQ could be bad but I've never seen it.

Ludicolo:
Rain Dance Sweeper - Ferrothorn + LO Recoil followed by Dragonite or Aegislash priority.

Magnezone:
Choice Specs - Garchomp gets free rocks.
Substitute - Garchomp still does fine, most have HP Fire > Ice anyways.

Mamoswine:
Full Out Attacker - Ferrothorn deals with it fine even LO Superpower lol
Lead - Annoying but I can just spikes with Ferrothorn

Manaphy:
Tail Glow - Keldeo drops it easily.
Calm Mind + Rain Dance - very annoying because its really really bulky. I need to make sure I have hazard support vs Manaphy, and I can pull off a Leech Seed with Ferrothorn always. Hopefully they're not max defense so Keldeo can kill if its at like 50%~

Manectric Mega:
Offensive Pivot - Worst mon for the entire team. Need to play amazing to win this. Have to go to Garchomp on Volt Switch, then Aegislash on Hidden Power [Ice] etc. If they make one play, G_G

Mawile Mega:
Swords Dance - Hate this thing... if it has Fire Fang and Keldeo + Garchomp is weakened I lose.
Substitute Focus Punch - Less of an issue than Swords Dance, because it practically kills itself after Sub + killing Garchomp.

Medicham Mega:
Full Out Attacker - Aegislash does fine.
Substitute - Aegislash also does fine because Sub = Ice Punch to beat Gliscor.

Mew:
Baton Pass - Baton Pass...
Defog - Aegislash does fine, Knock Off + WoW wasn't common until recent, but it's annoying.

Noivern:
Choice Specs - Aegislash does fine, if they Fire Blast I can get a free spin or go to Keldeo or something.
Choice Scarf - Pretty weak.
Life Orb - Annoying because it can be 50-50s with Aegislash, but it's uncommon, it also falls over like a toothpick to Dragonite Extreme Speed.

Pinsir Mega:
Swords Dance - It's not an issue if it comes in on Rocks because it's only killing Garchomp, but if Garchomp is weakened to the point EQ kills I'm screwed.

Politoed:
Rain Support - Rain teams aren't problems for this team.

Rotom-W:
Choice Scarf - Annoying because it Tricks me than burns me ._. but Ferrothorn gets spikes so w/e
Bulky Attacker - Ferrothorn
Pivot - Ferrothorn gets spikes but annoying

Salamence:
Dragon Dance - Garchomp + Rocks + Extreme Speed
Mixed - Can just bring in Keldeo and force them to switch even though I don't have Hidden Power [Ice] lol
Choice Scarf - I have two steel types whats this gonna do...

Scizor:
Choice Band - Garchomp...
Swords Dance - Keldeo smacks it same with Garchomp
Bulky Swords Dance - Garchomp + Keldeo
Defog - Garchomp lol

Scizor Mega:
Swords Dance - Garchomp
Bulky Swords Dance - Garchomp
Defog - Garchomp

Sharpedo:
Late Game Cleaner - Yeah its not cleaning me

Staraptor:
Choice Band - Aegislash
Choice Scarf - Aegislash

Smeargle:
Hazard Lead - I can just Gyro Ball it with Ferrothorn, and I always have Blastoise when I need to spin.
Baton Pass - Baton Pass....

Starmie:
Offensive Rapid Spin - Aegislash checks it hard lol

Suicune:
Calm Mind - Ferrothorn + Keldeo Swords kills.

Sylveon:
Choice Specs - Ferrothorn lol

Talonflame:
Choice Band - Garchomp
Swords Dance - Garchomp
Bulk Up - Garchomp

Terrakion:
Substitute + Swords Dance - Aegislash
Choice Band - Aegislash if they EQ I get free Dragonite
Choice Scarf - Same as Choice Band
Double Dance - Aegislash
Lead - Garchomp and I have Rapid Spin

Thundurus-I:
Nasty Plot - Aegislash does fine
Prankster - Aegislash
Mixed - Annoying... but Ferrothorn lives Super Poweer

Thundurus-T:
Double Dancer - Aegislash lol
Choice Scarf - Garchomp + Aegislash core

Togekiss:
Nasty Plot - Annoying goml hopefully I can Flash Cannon it with Aegislash
Defensive Nasty Plot - Less of a problem because I should be able to Leech Seed it.

Tornadus-T:
Choice Specs - Aegislash does fine
Life Orb - Can be annoying but Aegislash does fine.
Assault Vest - Really annoying... because Aegislash does really little damage against it.

Tyranitar:
Choice Band - Ferrothorn
Choice Scarf - Ferrothorn
Smooth Rock - Ferrothorn

Tyranitar Mega:
Dragon Dance - Keldeo lives a +1 EQ, Ferrothorn also can Gyro Ball.

Venusaur Mega:
Offensive - HP Flying does a boat load, Dragonite can also Outrage.

Volcarona:
Offensive Quiver Dance - Dragonite kills with Extreme Speed after Stealth Rock
Bulky Quiver Dance / Roost - Dragonite handles it easily resisting both STABs

Zygarde:
Dragon Dance - Ferrothorn
Coil - Ferrothorn Leech Seed then Keldeo on the rest.

Standard OU Defensive Threats

Aggron Mega:
Stealth Rock Tank - Nobody uses this, and if people do I can't be weak to an offensive mega.

Alomomola:
Wish Passer - Hazard stacking makes this less of an issue, i've considered Sub CM Keldeo just for this though

Celebi:
Physically Defensive - Aegislash + Free Spikes
Specially Defensive - Spikes then Dragon Tail it with Garchomp

Chansey:
Support - Keldeo, Garchomp, Ferrothorn

Chesnaught:
Spikes - I can get spikes too with Ferrothorn

Dragonite:
Bulky Roost - Pain in the butt especially with Fire Punch, if not Ferrothorn should be able to check it

Ferrothorn:
Standard - I stack spikes on it then Rapid Spin if needed

Forretress:
Physically Defensive - nobody uses this but Blastoise can spin, and it cant spin on Aegislash

Gliscor:
Substitute + Protect - ive considered balloon Aegis but now they have knock off so w/e, screw gliscor I can kill it but its a pain. However, I do get spikes up so when its sub is gone im fine
Stallbreaker - more manageable then sub tect but I cant spike up
Specially Defensive - same as stall breaker

Gyarados:
Bulky Support - Garchomp gets Rocks and Dragon Tails, lulz
Resttalk - free spikess

Heatran:
Specially Defensive - Garchomp does well, I also have Keldeo and Mega Blastoise

Hippowdon:
Physical Tank - Ferrothorn
Specially Defensive - Ferrothorn

Krookodile:
Stealth Rock Support - Ferrothorn does fine, I have Keldeo too, and Chomp gets Rocks

Latias:
Support - Aegislash and Ferrothorn
Reflect / Refresh + Calm Mind - Aegislash... Nobody uses CM but I have Ferrothorn too

Mew:
Stallbreaker - I hate mew... oml, if there is another defogger and Mew has Taunt and Will-o-Wisp its horrid, especially with Knock Off... Keldeo can do a boat load, but that's about it, Mega Blastoise would need to confuse it or have WoW miss.

Moltres:
Substitute + Roost - never seen this but its hard to remove rocks vs me because I can Dragon Tail incoming defog

Porygon2:
Defensive - free spikes

Quagsire:
Physically Defensive - free spikes and Keldeo nukes it

Rhyperior:
Stealth Rock Tank - Keldeo and Mega Blastoise

Rotom-W:
Support - Always annoying but Aegislash is usually my go to. Fortunately Rotom-W + Manectric doesn't exist

Sableye:
Prankster - Bring in Keldeo

Skarmory:
Physically Defensive - Free Keldeo, most dont run brave bird anymore which helps me because they cant counter

Slowbro:
Tank - Easier than Slowking, I've got Dark Pulse Mega Blastoise and Aegislash
Assault Vest - Mega Blastoise because if its assault vest it has the coverage to hit my whole team

Slowking:
Tank - Scout for Fire Blast and the status move, if it's twave I can just Dragon Tail with Slowking
Assault Vest - Really annoying, I need to get Dragonite in.

Snorlax:
Tank - Bring in Ferrothorn then scout for Fire Punch by going into Keldeo

Starmie:
Defensive Rapid Spin - Aegislash

Sylevon:
Wish + Protect - Aegislash and Ferrothorn

Tangrowth:
Defensive - Free hazards for Ferrothorn just need to watch out for Hidden Power [Fire]
Assault Vest - Really annoying fortunately its never used I literally cant kill this + a fairy unless I have max hazards

Tentacruel:
Substitute + Toxic - Never seen this, but it sounds breutal especially if it burns Aegislash, Dragonite can also drop it
Protect - Dragonite nukes it

Tyranitar:
Specially Defensive - Free Keldeo switch in

Vaporeon:
Wish + Cleric Support - Leech Seed + Hazards weaken this... I also dont have status so w/e

Venusaur Mega:
Defensive - Free Spikes

Whimsicott:
Prankster Leech Seed - Ferrothorn

Wobbuffet:
Bulky - I can deal a chunk out of it with almost anything so w/e

Zapdos:
Physically Defensive - Heat Wave Zapdos is a drag, Keldeo lives a Thunderbolt though
Specially Defensive - Garchomp can Dragon Tail
Substitute Roost - nobody uses this but it probably poops on me

Last edited:
Hi Laurel, great team you have there and it I can see why it took you as far as it did in the tourneys you mentioned.

I hope you don't mind but I took it for a spin and managed to ladder up a test alt quiet well, but I have these few notes and since Aegislash was banned why not test other mons in it's spot?

The team has some issues with speedsters, for example Thundrus and Mega Manectric as you said, with their Electric stabs and coverage moves they can do a nice number on most of the team, especially if something were to happen to Dragonite. Greninja also falls into this category although less threatening with Ferrothorn, but with no Power Whip or Thunderwave to eliminate him for good. Also with Aegislash now banned Fairy's and Fast Dragons with coverage moves also become annoying. You mentioned a bit about full stall with fairys giving your problems, and even though I haven't had the blessing of facing them on the ladder I believe you.

As a replacement for the now banished Crumber, why not use/complete a DSF core and add a CM Magic Guard Clefable? With it's mixed bulk you have more than enough tools to dispose of Heatran and lure in MVenu with the specs, so you can often turn battles into mini sweeps and things lik Mega Manectric become jokes now.

Also regarding your Ferrothorn, I think testing Thunder Wave would help you alot as you got Clefable helping you with Stall.

Gl and thanks.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Ferrothorn @ Left Overs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpD / 88 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Thunder Wave/Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Edit: Fixed the ferrothorn suggesiton.

Last edited:
Hi Laurel, great team you have there and it I can see why it took you as far as it did in the tourneys you mentioned.

I hope you don't mind but I took it for a spin and managed to ladder up a test alt quiet well, but I have these few notes and since Aegislash was banned why not test other mons in it's spot?

The team has some issues with speedsters, for example Thundrus and Mega Manectric as you said, with their Electric stabs and coverage moves they can do a nice number on most of the team, especially if something were to happen to Dragonite. Greninja also falls into this category although less threatening with Ferrothorn, but with no Power Whip or Thunderwave to eliminate him for good. Also with Aegislash now banned Fairy's and Fast Dragons with coverage moves also become annoying. You mentioned a bit about full stall with fairys giving your problems, and even though I haven't had the blessing of facing them on the ladder I believe you.

As a replacement for the now banished Crumber, why not use/complete a DSF core and add a CM Magic Guard Clefable? With it's mixed bulk you have more than enough tools to dispose of Heatran and lure in MVenu with the specs, so you can often turn battles into mini sweeps and things lik Mega Manectric become jokes now.

Also regarding your Ferrothorn, I think testing Thunder Wave would help you alot as you got Clefable helping you with Stall.

Gl and thanks.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Ferrothorn @ Left Overs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpD / 88 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Thunder Wave/Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Edit: Fixed the ferrothorn suggesiton.
Hey, I like the idea of adding Thunder Wave on Ferrothorn, for crippling offense but most of the stuff that beats me is either immune to Thunder Wave or has priority. If I was going to add Thunder Wave, though, it would be over Protect not Spikes, Spikes is too important for winning the stall matchup. Clefable is an interesting choice over Aegislash, I need the Fighting-type resistance or else I'm murked by Keldeo, but I'm thinking I desperately need a check for SD Mega Heracross, Mega Medicham, and Mega Alakazam now. I just don't see how I can fill in that spot and still have some success. If I use Clefable to fix the Manectric issue thats not accomplishing much because Manectric can just Volt Switch, and now I'm exposed to other Megas, and still am weak to Charizard Y and Pinsir x: Clefable would help a lot vs stall without Taunt or Roar Heatran though! Thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)