Ninetales (Analysis)

Solarbeam may "suck" but...

What happens mid/late-game when you've KOed (assuming you're a halfway decent player) your opponent's weather changer (no more Ttar/Hippo/Toed) and you've got the sun all to yourself, now don't you wish you had that extra power? Especially on rain and sand teams where the remainder of your opponents team is probably weak to grass anyway, but not quite frail enough to be OHKO'd by Energy Ball.

Assuming you have some hard counters to weather abusers forfeiting the extra power could cost you the game as easily as haphazardly spamming Solarbeam early-game. My point is there are situations where it could turn the tide in your favor and for that reason alone it deserves a slash. No one ever said it should be the main option, just that it deserves a mention, which it does.

Solarbeam may "suck" but...

What happens mid/late-game when you've KOed (assuming you're a halfway decent player) your opponent's weather changer (no more Ttar/Hippo/Toed) and you've got the sun all to yourself, now don't you wish you had that extra power? Especially on rain and sand teams where the remainder of your opponents team is probably weak to grass anyway, but not quite frail enough to be OHKO'd by Energy Ball.

Assuming you have some hard counters to weather abusers forfeiting the extra power could cost you the game as easily as haphazardly spamming Solarbeam early-game. My point is there are situations where it could turn the tide in your favor and for that reason alone it deserves a slash. No one ever said it should be the main option, just that it deserves a mention, which it does.

I completely agree.

Every team that runs Ninetales will have one or two Pokemon specifically there to deal with opposing weather-changers/nullifiers. Any smart player will lure out the weather changer, abruptly deal with it, and enjoy the rest of the match nice and sunny, shooting off Solarbeams.

As far as dealing with Politoed, Tyranitar, and Hippowdon goes, Ninetales has no business even trying to deal with these three. You'll most likely switch out against them anyways when using Ninetales to a more appropriate counter.

I might suggest the option of Balloon in the OC to get the drop on things like Doryuuzu and Hippowdon. Balloon means you can come in on a predicted earthquake and set up sun at the same time, with the possibility of taking out their weather changer or poke that relies on EQ to get rid of Ninetales. It is certainly not the best option as it is rather situational, but I think it's worth a mention.

I would advocate Balloon's inclusion in other options at the least, giving it many more oppurtunities to switch-in, which can prove very valuable against Sand in particular, which likes to spam EQs. It also allows it be pretty much unharmed by a lot of Hippowdon, letting it come in to reset Sun, as well as revenging Dorys who don't use Rock Slide on the switch.

A few other other options which I feel are worth a mention at least are Protect, as Lee mentions, for scouting Pursuits, and also Disable, for helping to neuter CBTar, amongst other things with only one attack to hit it hard (Balloon can help here). Similarly unorthodox but also effective is Power Swap when combined with Overheat as the sole attacking move, which is primarily going to happen on the defensive set. Combined with WoW, you have a method to neuter both physical and special attackers trying to set up on you, which tends to happen a lot, which can be very useful. Admittedly these are somewhat niche, but given Tales' lack of options and often a useful role, I think they might be worthy of a sentence worth of mention in any case.

Rhys DeAnno

Slacking Off
In this meta, probably 80% of all teams have a weather changer, and they will all do their very best to keep it alive for a long time to contest Ninetales. Since Ninetales effectively can't use Solarbeam while they have a live changer, it basically has three moveslots for the great majority of time in most of your matches. I don't think its worth a slash anywhere, it's in OO where it belongs.

Balloon is pretty risky since most things using EQ have Edgequake or at least strong physical moves, and therefore switching in or trying to stay in is a shaky endeavor. I'll give it a nod in OO but I don't see it being that effective. Similarly disable is problematic because you end up having your sub broken while disabling Earthquake, and then you get Stone Edged. On the other hand, if Poli breaks your sub with Boiling Water disable usually stops it from hurting you, but the problem is you've done nothing permanent to it anyway and it's already served its purpose of starting rain (and wrecking Ninetales' STAB). I'm hesitant even to mention it in OO because I can't see any situation where it would really be that helpful for winning the battle.

Sub is pretty much superior to Protect for Ninetales' purposes and it cant really afford both moveslots anywhere (plus protect basically gives Ttar a free switch to Dory), so that's OO too.

Overheat+Power Swap sounds way too gimmicky to trust on faith, if anyone's been testing this at high levels (or even medium levels) of play and had omfg success speak up.

Or perhaps you can use different lead then ninetales? 1-2 pokemon to scout and obtain information about the other pokemon. Try to obtain info if they have another weather lead. Fool the opponent into thinking you have no weather leads and destroy the opposing force.

Then make it nice and sunny and attempt to destroy.

This idea might fail BUT - Another lead instead of Ninetales could be used, and tales could set up sun later.

Rhys DeAnno

Slacking Off
Or perhaps you can use different lead then ninetales? 1-2 pokemon to scout and obtain information about the other pokemon. Try to obtain info if they have another weather lead. Fool the opponent into thinking you have no weather leads and destroy the opposing force.

Then make it nice and sunny and attempt to destroy.

This idea might fail BUT - Another lead instead of Ninetales could be used, and tales could set up sun later.
Analyses are for Standard, not DW. In standard they will see your Ninetales no matter if it's the lead or not because of wifi clause, so such mindgames are impossible.

Analyses are for Standard, not DW. In standard they will see your Ninetales no matter if it's the lead or not because of wifi clause, so such mindgames are impossible.
We have to keep this in mind. I see Infernape being of great use to do this Taunt and Balloon for Hippowdon, Close Combat for Tyranitar and Thunder Punch for Politoed. Sadly, this doesn't mean that the foe won't switch out.

The Defensive set definitely needs to be the first on the analysis, The offensive sets are simply not at all reliable for setting up the sun, but Defensive does a great job of it.

I've mostly been using Sub/HP Fight, but I've never really found the last two moves on either set to be very effective, HP does shitall to Ttar and Heatran (though its handy to pop Heatran's Balloon), and Energy Ball never really does anything - your Chlorophyll abusers should be able to set up on Waters all day anyways. But Sub is very helpful to ease prediction - especially to burn TTar, and though Leftovers are sorely missed when you run Chesto, Rest is quite useful too.

Anyways - move Defensive up to main set, it's easily the best.

Similarly disable is problematic because you end up having your sub broken while disabling Earthquake, and then you get Stone Edged. On the other hand, if Poli breaks your sub with Boiling Water disable usually stops it from hurting you, but the problem is you've done nothing permanent to it anyway and it's already served its purpose of starting rain (and wrecking Ninetales' STAB). I'm hesitant even to mention it in OO because I can't see any situation where it would really be that helpful for winning the battle.

Sub is pretty much superior to Protect for Ninetales' purposes and it cant really afford both moveslots anywhere (plus protect basically gives Ttar a free switch to Dory), so that's OO too.

Overheat+Power Swap sounds way too gimmicky to trust on faith, if anyone's been testing this at high levels (or even medium levels) of play and had omfg success speak up.
Disable is a tool that can be used to beat TTars trying to Pursuit you, though admittedly at higher levels it could be predicted and SE used to break the sub and be disabled, allowing a pursuit. To me completely stopping Pursuit is probably the main boon, however.

Protect I think has the advantage over Sub of keeping Tales healthy, which is very important and is the main reason I think it is viable, but yeah they obviously both have advantages.

Power Swap is indeed somewhat gimmicky, but when combined with WoW it gives Tales a reasonable way to weaken both physical and Special threats. Another boon is that it can remove the offensive boosts of things attempting to setup on Tales, which naturally things will try to do once your moveset is determined, but it in no way deals with the problem directly so I can see why you wouldn't want to mention it.

In any case the main reason I suggest all of these is due to Tales' lack of very useful other options, and not because of their inherent awesomeness. For some teams a Tales with one of these moves may prove useful purely because of its limited options, but admittedly in most cases the OP's sets are far better.

I would concur that the defensive set should be the first mentioned, however, due to the incredible importance of keeping her alive and her mediocre attacking skills.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Solarbeam should never get a slash because Politoed, Tyranitar, and Hippowdon exist and will get rid of Sun thereby trapping and destroying it.
You're obviously going to want to scout your opponent's team before you start spamming solarbeam, but I have to agree that in this new metagame energy ball seems more practical. Rain and sand team seem to be everywhere thanks to dory, kingdra, hippowdon, etc.

I love how everyone says it's dangerous for ninetales because of Ttar, hippo, and poli yet no one ever says it's dangerous for those three. A baloon Ninetales (which is what I use) can come in easily and never get KOed (unless you come in one stone edge) and can easily blow away 60% up of their lives with solarbeam. If they took any prior damage they would be dead and you wouldn't have to worry about getting stuck since you switched in on them.

So I really do believe SB deserves a slash in.

I love how everyone says it's dangerous for ninetales because of Ttar, hippo, and poli yet no one ever says it's dangerous for those three. A baloon Ninetales (which is what I use) can come in easily and never get KOed (unless you come in one stone edge) and can easily blow away 60% up of their lives with solarbeam. If they took any prior damage they would be dead and you wouldn't have to worry about getting stuck since you switched in on them.

So I really do believe SB deserves a slash in.
No and you proved why yourslef. Solarbeam has 60 base power (when not in clear weather or sun), needs charging and chips away 60% of the foe's HP. If that's the case wouldn't Energy Ball, a move with 80 base power in any weather chip away 80% of the foe's HP? Not only that, there is the chance to decrease special defence which can help if they are being healed by Wish or something of the sort.

I meant to the other weather starters. And I'll go do some calcs to see the damage difference between SB and energy ball against those three

I love how everyone says it's dangerous for ninetales because of Ttar, hippo, and poli yet no one ever says it's dangerous for those three. A baloon Ninetales (which is what I use) can come in easily and never get KOed (unless you come in one stone edge) and can easily blow away 60% up of their lives with solarbeam.
I disagree that Ninetales can switch into Toed or TTar easily.

I meant to the other weather starters. And I'll go do some calcs to see the damage difference between SB and energy ball against those three
There's little point doing calcs because Tales can almost never switch into any of them safely as MIB says - rendering Solarbeam impossible to use against them. Even if you use the Sun to neuter Politoed's water attacks, you risk the Specs variant still doing huge damage to you, and given Tales' poor survivability, this is an entirely unecessary risk when Sun's other members can take out the other inducers well enough.

If you've Ko'd the opposing teams weather changer, and you still have yours (ninetales) then you're already in a very strong position.
Solarbeam can lose you the game.
What if you're running solarbeam and they still do have their weather changer around? It means you have a dead moveslot on your ninetales.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
canned heat

GP CHECK ONE

torch
save

[Overview]

<p>Though Ninetales is an average Pokemon in many respects, its access to the Drought ability gives it an important role in Standard OU play, both by supporting its entire team with the perpetual sun and by somewhat patching up its previously lackluster offense and its rather poor defensive typing. Ninetales will take a starring role on any team wishing to exploit Sunny Day the sunlight, and is even quite useful on less weather-centered teams for its ability to remove the more ubiquitous sand and rain from the battlefield.</p>

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Flamethrower
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Hypnosis / Protect
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Drought
Nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set sacrifices Ninetales's offensive capabilities to further efforts to keep it alive. Ninetales's poor defensive typing leaves it weak to both sides parts of the EdgeQuake combination, making efforts at significant physical defensiveness shaky indeed, but with Will-O-Wisp support Ninetales can at least take neutral physical hits fairly well. Ninetales does fares much better on the special side, with its Water weakness negated by Drought and its lack of vulnerabilities to other common special attacking types.</p>

<p>Flamethrower still has decent power under the sun with no investment, and with the given Speed EVs allows Ninetales to reliably revenge Doryuuzu Excadrill. Will-O-Wisp lets Ninetales harass the many bulky Fire resists that switch into it and especially allows it to notably punish Tyranitar for starting a sandstorm and forcing Ninetales out. Substitute eases prediction for Ninetales, letting it burn Tyranitar or others safely as its Substitute is broken. Substitute also allows Ninetales to deal with Balloon Heatran more safely, managing a 3HKO with Hidden Power Fighting and SR after Stealth Rock should Heatran switch into a Substitute. Hidden Power Fighting also gives Ninetales an attack to damage Tyranitar with in an emergency, but it is usually only suitable for finishing it off off an already-weakened one.</p>

<p>One may choose to use Hypnosis to threaten shut down the many Pokemon which that would otherwise wall Ninetales, but its high miss rate and the status conflict with Will-O-Wisp may discourage this makes it a dubious option. Protect is another option on this set in the fourth slot to facilitate stalling with Substitutes, accumulating burn damage on the enemy while healing Ninetales with Leftovers. Beware that Protect is dangerous to use when a weather inducer has switched into Ninetales, because if they switch out on Protect Ninetales may be left facing a weather sweeper in with its sweeping weather up. With Protect and Will-O-Wisp Ninetales is also completely unable to touch Fire-types, meaning Flash Fire users especially are free to switch in to set up or try to catch boosts. Ninetales can use Toxic with Protect instead and only be entirely walled by Heatran, but it will have more trouble with physical attackers, especially Tyranitar, if it chooses this option.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Chesto Berry can be used with Rest in lieu of Substitute to get some immediate recovery for Ninetales to frustrate an opponent who is close to finishing it off. Since weather inducers predictably switch right into Ninetales upon its appearance, Ninetales will have many chances to use Rest safely and heal up. Energy Ball can be used in the fourth slot to harass bulky Waters and revenge Rain Dance-supported Kabutops supported by Rain Dance, but is generally less useful due to the this set's lack of offensive power. The Special Defense EVs might could be put into Defense or Special Attack instead, should you want your Ninetales to take physical attacks better or hit a bit harder. In particular, if you fear Doryuuzu Excadrill with some HP investment, or wish to 3HKO Heatran without SR Stealth Rock up, then you would be well advised to put those EVs in SpA into Special Attack.</p>

<p>This Ninetales is especially suited to selflessly providing for Sun Sweepers supporting sun sweepers, especially ones Sun Sweepers that can damage other weather inducers for switching in. Since it Ninetales lacks the power to punish other weather inducers itself, it relies on good hazard support to limit their switch-ins switches, wearing them down over the course of the match. Conversely, its Leftovers healing and more defensive EVs EV spread make it somewhat better at dealing with hazards than the other sets, and it is not as dependent on Rapid Spin or Wish support or as greedy for wishes. Teammates with Heal Bell or Aromatherapy to wake it up from Rests are especially helpful, and Roserade and Blissey deserve special mention for the ability to both wake up Ninetales and lay Spikes and SR Stealth Rock respectively to sabotage other weather inducers.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Energy Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Ground / Hypnosis
Item: Life Orb / Leftovers
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Though it sports a mediocre SpA Special Attack stat of 81, Ninetales is well suited to an offensive set due to the power of its Fire Blast in the sunshine. Offensive Ninetales can land powerful hits on many common tanks with Fire Blast: it is almost certain to OHKO 252/0 Gliscor, and it can manage 120/136 Conkeldurr Roobushin as well with a layer of Spikes. With a Life Orb hastening Ninetales's death however, it might be unwise to use this set as the lynchpin of a heavily sun-dependent team; this version of Ninetales tends to be more useful individually, and does well supporting weather-neutral teams by overriding rain and sand while also acting as a decent artillery piece.</p>

<p>Though the presence of such an overwhelming move as sun-boosted Fire Blast makes coverage rather redundant in many situations, weather inducers such as Tyranitar and Politoed are able to ruin Ninetales's fun by switching in and taking the resisted Fire Blast as they switch change the weather. Energy Ball can menace batter both of them for better damage, and Will-O-Wisp can threaten to cripple T-tar Tyranitar on the switch or at least mitigate the impressive bulk of Politoed and Hippowdon. Hidden Power Fighting can 2HKO Balloon Heatran with SR after Stealth Rock and at least wound Tyranitar, though one might use Hidden Power Ground instead if you wish to Speed tie Jirachi and other Ninetales or fear being walled by Shandera Chandelure. Hypnosis is an option as well to cripple durable special attackers, such as Latias, who like to switch into Ninetales, switching into Ninetales such as Latias, but if you use it over a Hidden Power the low accuracy attack then this low accuracy move will be Ninetales's your only option against Heatran.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A player wishing to be a bit more conservative with his Ninetales can run Leftovers on this set, but Ninetales will struggle to cripple tanks and get important KOs. In particular, Hidden Power Fighting no longer has a chance to even 2HKO Heatran, which should make you quite leery of giving it so Ninetales must be careful lest it grants Heatran a possible Flash Fire boost on the switch. When using Leftovers the consistency of Flamethrower becomes much more attractive than before, because you will miss many important OHKOs anyway.</p>

<p>A number of dangerous sun sweepers such as Venusaur and Tangela Shiftry are supported by Drought, but the less obvious advantage of negating both rain and sand along with the general individual competence of this set allows Ninetales to partner well with weather-neutral Pokemon. Fast Scarfers, Dragon Dance sweepers, and Agility users especially appreciate this weather-cancelling effect as it prevents them from being easily revenged by Doryuuzu Excadrill. With a Life Orb, Ninetales will die quickly and appreciates Magic Mirror Bounce, Rapid Spin, and Wish support even more than usual.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Overheat / Fire Blast
move 2: Energy Ball
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Flamethrower / Hypnosis
Item: Choice Specs

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Specs Ninetales should be played aggressively, predicting weather inducer switch-ins by weather inducers and using the appropriate move to damage them. Ninetales does well revenging slower Pokemon, threatening them with powerful Fire moves and tempting the opponent to predict and send in a weather inducer. Be wary though, since if Ninetales makes a kill with a Fire move it can easily be trapped and clobbered by Pursuit Tyranitar for large amounts of damage or even eliminated by Wobbuffet.</p>

<p>Drought, STAB, and Choice Specs together power up Ninetales's Fire attacks to nigh-unbelievable levels, singlehandedly making the Specs set a fearsome force. Overheat and Energy Ball are the bread and butter of the set, with Overheat threatening massive damage should the opponent not send in a resist, and Energy Ball threatening many of those resists in turn. Specs Ninetales boasts some impressive OHKOs with Overheat, such as Rankuruusu Reuniclus, all but the very specially-bulkiest versions of Roobushin Conkeldurr, and even an outside shot at Salamence through resistance after Stealth Rock damage. Hidden Power Fighting is especially good for taking pieces out of Tyranitar, but requires an imperfect Speed IV and will lose you ties with other base 100 Speed Pokemon. Hidden Power Ground on the other hand allows a perfect Speed IV but is generally less useful and can cause difficulties popping considering the ubiquity of Balloons on many Pokemon.</p>

<p>Though Choiced Hypnosis may seem questionable, on Ninetales specifically it can be quite useful; it allows Ninetales to cripple bulky Dragons such as Latias on the switch, who would otherwise counter Ninetales with impunity and set up on it. Bulky dragons such as Latias can otherwise counter Ninetales with impunity and set up on it, but Hypnosis will cripple them on the switch. Hypnosis also allows you to avoid using Fire moves if you fear killing something and being trapped by Tyranitar or Wobbuffet. Fire Blast can be used instead of Overheat with Hypnosis if you want a repeatable and consistent Fire attack, but shouldn't be used with Flamethrower for obvious reasons.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Will-O-Wisp is usually Ninetales's best support move, but it obviously has issues on the Choice set. Even so, it can be useful for wearing down SpD specially-defensive Tyranitar, who Ninetales only has a chance to 2HKO with HP Fighting with a layer of both SR Stealth Rock and Spikes. Dark Pulse might seem useful for threatening Latios and Latias, but Overheat does almost as much damage in the sun, and Ninetales is immediately threatened out anyway, making Dark Pulse superfluous.</p>

<p>Both because Specs Ninetales is easy to trap, and because it requires dangerous prediction to use effectively, a team dependent on sunlight should pack a reserve Sunny Day user or two while using it this Ninetales. Sunny Day Bronzong resists both Rock and Ground and is an effective counter for many sand sweepers as well. On the other hand, Chansey and Blissey with Sunny Day are very good at reining in rain teams and might be able to occasionally pass Ninetales a Wish in spite of poor synergy. Sunny Day Jirachi has a problematic Fire weakness exacerbated by the sun as well as a Ground weakness sabotaging any synergy with Ninetales, but deserves consideration due to its good mixed bulk and its ability to threaten Tyranitar well.</p>

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
Item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If Ninetales wishes to surprise incoming weather inducers seeking to counter it, it can take advantage of a Nasty Plot set designed to take them out. Nasty Plot is the ace up Ninetales's sleeve, and this set is well-suited for surprising incoming weather inducers. With hazard support, +2 Ninetales has a good chance of OHKOing Hippowdon, Politoed, or Tyranitar with Fire Blast, Energy Ball, and Hidden Power Fighting respectively, though it will be unable to deal with specially-bulky versions of Tyranitar or Politoed. If Ninetales has the weather under its sole control, then +2 Fire Blast is will be quite powerful indeed, and will earn you likely OHKOs against Garchomp and Latios with SR after Stealth Rock, as well as a 2HKO on WishBliss Wish Blissey.</p>

<p>This set has fits experiences problems when the opposing weather inducer immediately switches out to a resisting, faster Pokemon, and some very dangerous prediction with Fire Blast may be required to be effective. For example, if Tyranitar switches into Nasty Plot and you use HP Fighting Ninetales uses Hidden Power in response, Latios could switch into it taking minimal damage and threaten Ninetales out with nothing gained and Sand on the field.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hidden Power Fighting is strongly preferred over Energy Ball for the increased damage on Tyranitar over Energy Ball, but Hidden Power Ground is an acceptable alternative if you wish to tie base 100 Speed Pokemon. While one might choose a Modest nature to raise the discouraging damage totals on Specially defensive weather inducers, this is unwise While it's tempting to use a Modest nature to put the hurt on specially-defensive weather inducers, it is unwise to do so because a Modest nature allows Jolly Doryuuzu Excadrill to outspeed and easily OHKO Ninetales even in the sun.</p>

<p>Because of the shaky nature of Ninetales's KOs in a metagame infested with specially-defensive SpD heavy Tyranitar and Politoed, heavy hazard support is a virtual requirement for this set. A Wobbuffet to eliminate common fast Dragon switch-ins such as Specs Latios and Scarf Garchomp is also useful, as these foes will be able to switch into boosted attacks aimed at weather abusers fairly easily and threaten Ninetales out with OHKOs. Wobbuffet can also trap Scarf versions of Tyranitar and Politoed, which avoid taking boosted attacks by outspeeding Ninetales.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Psycho Shock seems tempting but is actually fairly useless, as Fire Blast hits even targets like Blissey and Roobushin Conkeldurr much harder in the sun than Psycho Shock can. Dark Pulse is theoretically available as a DW Dream World move, and can be paired with Hidden Power Fighting if you desire coverage for Shandera Chandelure, but is otherwise is underwhelming. Solarbeam is a more powerful alternative to Energy Ball for Grass type coverage, but Tyranitar, Politoed, and Hippowdon are all very important targets, and that you might need to finish off with an Energy Ball. Even worse, if they switch in while you Ninetales starts to Solarbeam, you it will be trapped by Solarbeam for a turn and possibly OHKOed by any of them. Though Solarbeam is useful once the enemy weather inducer is eliminated, this often doesn't happen until late in the match, and is all the more difficult to do achieve without Energy Ball.</p>

<p>Other setup moves are available to Ninetales as well, though they have limited use. Nitro Charge is surprising on LO Life Orb sets and allows a Ninetales to beat Deoxys-S, allowing only one layer preventing it from laying more than one layer of Spikes on the field. The downside however, is that many things that normally switch into Ninetales that are faster than it are dragons However, many of the speedy switch-ins to Ninetales are Dragons, which Ninetales would have probably been better off maiming with Fire Blast on the switch. Calm Mind is an option as well, but Ninetales is easy to threaten out physically and many of the problems of the Nasty Plot set are only magnified. Protect can be useful for accumulating burn damage, but also gives weather inducers the free chance to switch out to weather abusers, leaving Ninetales on the field against a sweeper with the wrong weather up.</p>

<p>A Modest nature on the offensive sets offers more power, helping to counter other weather inducers and beat stall, but no longer outspeeding Doryuuzu Excadrill is a massive problem. Ninetales can OHKO Doryuuzu Excadrill even with uninvested Flamethrower in the sunshine, so compromising its ability to revenge one of the most prominent threats of the metagame is rarely worth the benefits of any other nature.</p>

<p>Ninetales could theoretically take advantage of a Choice Scarf, but it already outspeeds most of the other weather inducers that love to switch into it, and has trouble damaging most of the fast dragons which switch in without a Life Orb or Choice Specs without a Life Orb or Choice Specs Ninetales would have trouble damaging the common speedy Dragon switch-ins. The problems Choice Scarf sets have with using Will-O-Wisp and being trapped in various ways make them inadvisable with such low upside. A Balloon to avoid Earthquakes for sly switching could be useful, but many Earthquaking Pokemon might opt instead to use hit you with Stone Edge and obliterate Ninetales. This option is more palatable if Ninetales is supported by Pokemon weak to Ground, especially Wish Jirachi, or if you especially fear being trapped by Dugtrio.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Blissey and Evolution Stone Eviolite Chansey wall Ninetales pretty well, and specially-bulky Waters such as Burungeru Jellicent and especially Tentacruel will cause massive problems even in the sun. All of these Pokemon will have problems dealing with Nasty Plot, so if they are specifically troublesome that may be a set to consider. Thick Fat Snorlax is also an issue but very much dislikes being burned by Will-O-Wisp, though Ninetales itself very much dislikes taking Earthquakes from Snorlax, sometimes being 2HKOed by aggressive sets such as CB Choice Band even if Snorlax is burned first.</p>

<p>Sadly for Ninetales, the enemy weather inducers tend to be very good counters to it as well. With the weather turned in their favor, Tyranitar and Politoed will take relatively low damage even from Energy Ball or HP Hidden Power Fighting and can easily OHKO in return. Physically-bulky Hippowdon designed to take on Doryuuzu are Excadrill is a much shakier counter, but SpD specially-defensive versions may be able to come in and wall some Ninetales with Slack Off or KO back with Earthquake if they are in good health.</p>

<p>Faster Dragons attempting to counter Ninetales must be wary of the power of Drought Fire Blast, which can do moderate damage through resist even to threats examples such as Scarf Garchomp and Specs Latios. Defensive Latias can mostly shrug this off however and makes a strong counter. Flash Fire users such as Heatran and Shandera Chandelure must be handled by Ninetales with care, as allowing them to unleash the power of a Flash Fire Drought STAB Fire Blast is a scary prospect indeed. Most versions of Ninetales carry WoW Will-O-Wisp, so Wobbuffet should not attempt to trap it unless it is choiced Ninetales is Choiced, and even then must be wary of the intensity of Ninetales's Fire STAB in sunlight. On the other hand, Dugtrio can trap and eliminate almost any Ninetales easily in revenge or if it comes in on a Hidden Power, and it's only foiled by Balloon or Choice Scarf versions.</p>

biggest issue is capitalization and unnecessary abbreviations
otherwise the prose is very good

[Overview]

<p>Though Ninetales is an average Pokemon in many respects, its access to the Drought ability gives it an important role in OU play, both by supporting its entire team with perpetual sun and by somewhat patching up its previously lackluster offense and its rather poor defensive typing. Ninetales will take a starring role on any team wishing to exploit the sunlight, and is even quite useful on less weather-centered teams for its ability to remove the more ubiquitous sand and rain from the battlefield.</p>

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Flamethrower
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Hypnosis / Protect
Item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set sacrifices Ninetales's offensive capabilities to further efforts to keep it alive. Ninetales's poor defensive typing leaves it weak to both parts of the EdgeQuake combination, making efforts at significant physical defensiveness shaky indeed, but with Will-O-Wisp support Ninetales can at least take neutral physical hits fairly well. Ninetales fares much better on the special side, with its Water weakness negated by Drought and its lack of vulnerabilities to other common special attacking types.</p>

<p>Flamethrower still has decent power under the sun with no investment, and with the given Speed EVs allows Ninetales to reliably revenge Excadrill. Will-O-Wisp lets Ninetales harass the many bulky Fire resists that switch into it and allows it to notably punish Tyranitar for starting a sandstorm and forcing Ninetales out. Substitute eases prediction for Ninetales, letting it burn Tyranitar or others safely as its Substitute is broken. Substitute also allows Ninetales to deal with Balloon Heatran more safely, managing a 3HKO with Hidden Power Fighting after Stealth Rock should Heatran switch into a Substitute. Hidden Power Fighting also gives Ninetales an attack to damage Tyranitar with in an emergency, but it is usually only suitable for finishing off an already-weakened one.</p>

<p>One may choose to use Hypnosis to shut down the many Pokemon that would otherwise wall Ninetales, but its high miss rate and the status conflict with Will-O-Wisp makes it a dubious option. Protect is another option on this set in the fourth slot to facilitate stalling with Substitutes, and accumulating burn damage on the enemy while healing Ninetales with Leftovers. Beware that Protect is dangerous to use when a weather inducer has switched into Ninetales, because if they switch out on Protect Ninetales may be left facing a weather sweeper in with its sweeping weather up. With Protect and Will-O-Wisp, Ninetales is also completely unable to touch Fire-types, meaning Flash Fire users especially are free to switch in to set up or try to catch boosts. Ninetales can use Toxic with Protect instead and only be entirely walled by Heatran, but it will have more trouble with physical attackers, especially Tyranitar, if it chooses this option.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Chesto Berry can be used with Rest in lieu of Substitute to get some immediate recovery for Ninetales to frustrate an opponent who is close to finishing it off. Since weather inducers predictably switch right into Ninetales upon its appearance, Ninetales will have many chances to use Rest safely and heal up. Energy Ball can be used in the fourth slot to harass bulky Waters and revenge Rain Dance-supported Kabutops and Omastar, but is generally less useful due to the this set's lack of offensive power. The Special Defense EVs could be put into Defense or Special Attack instead, should you want your Ninetales to take physical attacks better or hit a bit harder. In particular, if you fear Excadrill with some HP investment, or wish to 3HKO Heatran without Stealth Rock up, then you would be well advised to put those EVs into Special Attack.</p>

<p>This Ninetales is especially suited to selflessly supporting sun sweepers, especially ones that can damage other weather inducers for switching in. Since Ninetales lacks the power to punish other weather inducers itself, it relies on good hazard support to limit their switches, wearing them down over the course of the match. Conversely, its Leftovers healing and more defensive EV spread make it somewhat better at dealing with hazards than the other sets, and it is not as dependent on Rapid Spin or Wish support. Teammates with Heal Bell or Aromatherapy to wake it up from Rests are especially helpful,. and Roserade and Blissey deserve special mention for the ability to both wake up Ninetales and lay Spikes and Stealth Rock respectively to sabotage other weather inducers.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Ground / Hypnosis
Item: Life Orb / Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Though it sports a mediocre Special Attack stat of 81, Ninetales is well suited to an offensive set due to the power of its Fire Blast in the sunshine. Offensive Ninetales can land powerful hits on many common tanks with Fire Blast: it is almost certain to OHKO 252/0 Gliscor, and it can manage 120/136 Conkeldurr as well with a layer of Spikes. With a Life Orb hastening Ninetales's death however, it might be unwise to use this set as the lynchpin of a heavily sun-dependent team; this version of Ninetales tends to be more useful individually, and does well supporting weather-neutral teams by overriding rain and sand while also acting as a decent artillery piece.</p>

<p>Though the presence of such an overwhelming move such as sun-boosted Fire Blast makes coverage rather redundant in many situations, weather inducers such as Tyranitar and Politoed are able to ruin Ninetales's fun by switching in and taking the resisted Fire Blast as they change the weather. Energy Ball can batter both of them for better respectable damage, and Will-O-Wisp can threaten to cripple Tyranitar on the switch or at least mitigate the impressive bulk of Politoed and Hippowdon. Hidden Power Fighting can 2HKO Balloon Heatran after Stealth Rock and at least wound Tyranitar, though one might use Hidden Power Ground instead if you wish to Speed tie Jirachi and other Ninetales or fear being walled by Chandelure. Hypnosis is an option to cripple durable special attackers, such as Latias, who like to switch into Ninetales, but if you use it over a Hidden Power then this low accuracy move will be Ninetales's only option against Heatran.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A player wishing to be a bit more conservative with his their Ninetales can run Leftovers on this set, but Ninetales will struggle to cripple tanks and get important KOs. In particular, Hidden Power Fighting no longer has a chance to even 2HKO Heatran, so Ninetales must be careful lest it grants Heatran a possible Flash Fire boost on the switch. When using Leftovers, the consistency of Flamethrower becomes much more attractive than before, because you Ninetales' will miss many important OHKOs anyway.</p>

<p>A number of dangerous sun sweepers such as Venusaur and Shiftry are supported by Drought, but the less obvious advantage of negating both rain and sand along with the general individual competence of this set allows Ninetales to partner well with weather-neutral Pokemon. Fast Scarfers, Dragon Dance sweepers, and Agility users especially appreciate this weather-cancelling effect as it prevents them from being easily revenged by Excadrill. With a Life Orb, Ninetales will die quickly and appreciates Magic Bounce, Rapid Spin, and Wish support even more than usual.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Overheat / Fire Blast
move 2: Energy Ball
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Flamethrower / Hypnosis
Item: Choice Specs

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Specs Ninetales should be played aggressively, predicting weather inducer switch-ins and using the appropriate move to damage them. Ninetales does well revenging slower Pokemon, threatening them with powerful Fire moves and tempting the opponent to predict and send in a weather inducer. Be wary though, since if Ninetales makes a kill with a Fire move, it can easily be trapped and clobbered by Pursuit Tyranitar for large amounts of damage or even eliminated by Wobbuffet.</p>

<p>Drought, STAB, and Choice Specs together power up Ninetales's Fire attacks to nigh-unbelievable levels, making the Specs set a fearsome force. Overheat and Energy Ball are the bread and butter of the set, with Overheat threatening massive damage should the opponent not send in a resist, and Energy Ball threatening many of those resists in turn. Specs Ninetales boasts some impressive OHKOs with Overheat, such as Reuniclus, all but the very specially-bulkiest versions of Conkeldurr, and even an outside shot at Salamence after Stealth Rock damage. Hidden Power Fighting is especially good for taking pieces out of Tyranitar, but requires an imperfect Speed IV and Ninetales will lose you ties with other base 100 Speed Pokemon. Hidden Power Ground, on the other hand, allows a perfect Speed IV, but is generally less useful and can cause difficulties considering the ubiquity of Air Balloons on many Pokemon.</p>

<p>Though Choiced Hypnosis may seem questionable, on Ninetales specifically it can be quite useful; it allows Ninetales to cripple bulky Dragons such as Latias on the switch, who would otherwise counter Ninetales with impunity and set up on it. Fire Blast can be used instead of Overheat with Hypnosis if you want a repeatable and consistent Fire attack, but shouldn't be used with Flamethrower for obvious reasons.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Will-O-Wisp is usually Ninetales's best support move, but it obviously has issues on the Choice set. Even so, it can be useful for wearing down specially-defensive Tyranitar, who Ninetales only has a chance to 2HKO with HP Fighting with a layer of both Stealth Rock and Spikes. Dark Pulse might seem useful for threatening Latios and Latias, but Overheat does almost as much damage in the sun, and Ninetales is immediately threatened out anyway, making Dark Pulse superfluous.</p>

<p>Both because Specs Ninetales is easy to trap Because Specs Ninetales is both easy to trap, and because it requires dangerous great prediction to use effectively, a team dependent on sunlight should pack a reserve Sunny Day user or two while using this Ninetales. Sunny Day Bronzong resists both Rock and Ground and is an effective counter for many sand sweepers as well. On the other hand, Chansey and Blissey with Sunny Day are very good at reining in rain teams and might be able to occasionally pass Ninetales a Wish in spite of poor synergy. Sunny Day Jirachi has a problematic Fire weakness exacerbated by the sun as well as a Ground weakness sabotaging any synergy with Ninetales, but deserves consideration due to its good mixed bulk and ability to threaten Tyranitar.</p>

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
Item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Nasty Plot is the ace up Ninetales's sleeve, and this set is well-suited for surprising incoming weather inducers. With hazard support, +2 Ninetales has a good chance of OHKOing Hippowdon, Politoed, or and Tyranitar with Fire Blast, Energy Ball, and Hidden Power Fighting respectively, though it will be unable to deal with specially-bulky versions of Tyranitar or Politoed. If Ninetales has the weather under its sole control, then +2 Fire Blast will be quite powerful indeed, and will earn you likely OHKOs against Garchomp and Latios after Stealth Rock, as well as a 2HKO on Wish Blissey.</p>

<p>This set experiences problems when the opposing weather inducer immediately switches out to a resisting, faster Pokemon, and some very dangerous prediction with Fire Blast may be required. For example, if Tyranitar switches into Nasty Plot and Ninetales uses Hidden Power in response, Latios could switch into it taking minimal damage and threaten Ninetales out.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Hidden Power Fighting is strongly preferred over Energy Ball for the increased damage on Tyranitar, but Hidden Power Ground is an acceptable alternative if you wish to tie base 100 Speed Pokemon. While it's tempting to use a Modest nature to put the hurt on specially-defensive weather inducers, it is unwise to do so because a Modest nature allows Jolly Excadrill to outspeed and easily OHKO Ninetales even in the sun.</p>

<p>Because of the shaky nature of Ninetales's KOs in a metagame infested with specially-defensive Tyranitar and Politoed, heavy hazard support is a virtual requirement for this set. A Wobbuffet to eliminate common fast Dragon switch-ins such as Specs Latios and Scarf Garchomp is also useful, as these foes will be able to switch into boosted attacks aimed at weather abusers fairly easily and threaten Ninetales out with OHKOs. Wobbuffet can also trap Scarf versions of Tyranitar and Politoed, which avoid taking boosted attacks by outspeeding Ninetales.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Psycho Shock seems tempting, but is actually fairly useless, as Fire Blast hits even targets like Blissey and Conkeldurr much harder in the sun. Dark Pulse is theoretically available as a Dream World move, and can be paired with Hidden Power Fighting if you desire coverage for Chandelure, but is otherwise underwhelming. Solarbeam is a more powerful alternative to Energy Ball, but Tyranitar, Politoed, and Hippowdon are all very important targets, and, if they switch in while Ninetales starts to Solarbeam, it will be trapped for a turn and possibly OHKOed by any of them. Though Solarbeam is useful once the enemy weather inducer is eliminated, this often doesn't happen until late in the match, and is all the more difficult to achieve without Energy Ball.</p>

<p>Other setup moves are available to Ninetales as well, though they have limited use. Nitro Charge is surprising on Life Orb sets and allows Ninetales to beat Deoxys-S, preventing it from laying more than one layer of Spikes on the field. However, many of the speedy switch-ins to Ninetales are Dragons, which Ninetales would have probably been better off maiming with Fire Blast on the switch. Calm Mind is an option as well, but Ninetales is easy to threaten out physically, and many of the problems of the Nasty Plot set are only magnified. Protect can be useful for accumulating burn damage, but also gives weather inducers the free chance to switch out to weather abusers, leaving Ninetales on the field against a sweeper with the wrong weather up (You already explained this, so why it's here I don't know).</p>

<p>A Modest nature on the offensive sets offers more power, helping to counter other weather inducers and beat stall, but no longer outspeeding Excadrill is a massive problem. Ninetales can OHKO Excadrill even with uninvested Flamethrower in the sunshine, so compromising its ability to revenge one of the most prominent threats of the metagame is rarely worth the benefits of any other nature.</p>( Also already explained)

<p>Ninetales could theoretically take advantage of a Choice Scarf, but it's already outspeeds most of the other weather inducers that love to switch into it, and without a Life Orb or Choice Specs, Ninetales would have trouble damaging the common speedy Dragon switch-ins. An Air Balloon to avoid Earthquakes for switching could be useful, but many Earthquaking Pokemon might opt instead to use Stone Edge and obliterate Ninetales. This option is more palatable if Ninetales is supported by Pokemon weak to Ground, especially Wish Jirachi, or if you especially fear being trapped by Dugtrio.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Blissey and Eviolite Chansey wall Ninetales pretty well, and specially-bulky Waters such as Jellicent and especially Tentacruel will cause massive problems even in the sun. All of these Pokemon will have problems dealing with Nasty Plot, so if they are specifically troublesome, that may be a set to consider. Thick Fat Snorlax is also an issue, but very much dislikes being burned by Will-O-Wisp, though Ninetales itself very much dislikes taking Earthquakes from Snorlax, sometimes being 2HKOed by aggressive sets such as Choice Band even if Snorlax is burned first.</p>

<p>Sadly for Ninetales, enemy weather inducers tend to be very good counters to it as well. With the weather turned in their favor, Tyranitar and Politoed will take relatively low damage even from Energy Ball or Hidden Power Fighting and can easily OHKO in return. Physically-bulky Hippowdon designed to take on Excadrill is a much shakier counter, but specially-defensive versions may be able to come in and wall Ninetales with Slack Off or KO back with Earthquake if they are in good health.</p>

<p>Faster Dragons attempting to counter Ninetales must be wary of the power of Drought Fire Blast, which can do moderate damage through resist even to threats such as Choice Scarf Garchomp and Choice Specs Latios. Defensive Latias can mostly shrug this off, however, and makes a strong counter. Flash Fire users such as Heatran and Chandelure must be handled by Ninetales with care, as allowing them to unleash the power of a Flash Fire Drought STAB Fire Blast is a scary prospect indeed. Most versions of Ninetales carry Will-O-Wisp, so Wobbuffet should not attempt to trap it unless Ninetales is Choiced, and even then must be wary of the intensity of Ninetales's Fire STAB in sunlight. Dugtrio can trap and eliminate almost any Ninetales easily in revenge or if it comes in on a Hidden Power, and it's only foiled by Air Balloon or Choice Scarf versions.</p>
Keep or add
Get rid of
Comments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)