Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Faint@ "EU: £179.99"... okay what? € = Euro. I'm disapointed.
fixed prices said:
3DS XL Price

NA: $190
EU: 200€
UK: £170
JP: ¥17000
prices should be right now.
Japan has crazy cheap price. also who is jelly?

Anyway Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward was best 3DS game of 2012! :)

Non 3DS exclusive game for best 3DS game of the year. I mean I guess you can say that.

But yeah, definitely Kid Icarus.

Implying Swapnote isn't game of the year for the second time in a row.

Low on the ladder though, Kid Icarus is the only "must have" 3DS game to date, and easily wins GOTY 2012.

Faint@ "EU: £179.99"... okay what? € = Euro. I'm disapointed.

Japan has crazy cheap price. also who is jelly?

Anyway Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward was best 3DS game of 2012! :)
Sorry bud, I'm not very familiar with currency symbols and the like. Regardless I fixed it. Thanks.

On another note, we're exactly 1 month away from Fire Emblem: Awakening!

On another note, we're exactly 1 month away from Fire Emblem: Awakening!
While it's been out in Japan for 8+ months, making it possibly/technically a 2012 game. Also of note is that the eshop page for fe13 has seemingly confirmed that it will be available for download (which it wasn't in japan) for those of you who would prefer it (or hate going to gamestop. Which I wouldn't blame you for, even though I just went this week and the service was surprisingly both knowledgable and friendly.)

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
After just finishing the game "Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure", I would like to recommend it to anyone with a 3DS. This game is one of the best and most innovative rhythm games I've played on any system, and it even has a really good story too with awesome characters, which you wouldn't normally expect from a rhythm game. The music is amazing, and the graphics are really, really good. Hell, even the 3D looks really good, not to mention that the large amount of animated movies in the game make pretty good use of the 3D as well. The voice acting in the game is decent too.

This is one of the first games I've played since I got my 3DS for Christmas, and I can definitely say that it left me with a good impression of the 3DS.

After just finishing the game "Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure", I would like to recommend it to anyone with a 3DS. This game is one of the best and most innovative rhythm games I've played on any system, and it even has a really good story too with awesome characters, which you wouldn't normally expect from a rhythm game. The music is amazing, and the graphics are really, really good. Hell, even the 3D looks really good, not to mention that the large amount of animated movies in the game make pretty good use of the 3D as well. The voice acting in the game is decent too.

This is one of the first games I've played since I got my 3DS for Christmas, and I can definitely say that it left me with a good impression of the 3DS.
While I liked this game enough, I feel that it was a bit repetitive at times (the dancing minigame is used six times), the story couldn't decide whether it wanted to be ridiculous or serious, and the scoring system is messed up (I can count so many times where my A rank went down the shitter by making one mistake at the end). Also, some of the minigames just blow (looks at the Samba de Amigo and gyroscope Punch-Out games).

I personally prefer Rhythm Heaven much more, but the characters in Rhythm Thief were enjoyable, and I'd love for a sequel with improved mechanics, cause the concept is really awesome.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Guess what's coming out soon? Guess what system is supporting it? Guess what system's sales will skyrocket? Who didn't see this coming?

Hint hint: Pokemon X/Y shhhhhh

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
methinks that since this a Pokemon forum, alot of the users here would know by now... but hey it's always good to spread the news!!

Here's a good question:

When's Luigi's Mansion coming out? Last I heard it was supposed to come out this last Christmas...

jrp

Banned deucer.
This year is going to be a killer game-wise. I still need to pick up VLR, and there's a whole mess of games I plan to buy. Fire Emblem, Castlevania, PWvL (assuming a release), Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, and the new Pokemon games ;_;

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
While I liked this game enough, I feel that it was a bit repetitive at times (the dancing minigame is used six times), the story couldn't decide whether it wanted to be ridiculous or serious, and the scoring system is messed up (I can count so many times where my A rank went down the shitter by making one mistake at the end). Also, some of the minigames just blow (looks at the Samba de Amigo and gyroscope Punch-Out games).

I personally prefer Rhythm Heaven much more, but the characters in Rhythm Thief were enjoyable, and I'd love for a sequel with improved mechanics, cause the concept is really awesome.
I actually liked the gyroscope Punch-out games. If you had your 3DS in the right position to get the tilting to work properly, they were quite enjoyable. I will admit though that the Samba de Amigo ones were horrible, and I hope they don't include those in the sequel. And I agree about the scoring system. The scoring system was one of the few really negative things I felt about the game, because there were times when missing even one note could drop you two or even three whole letter grades.

I didn't mind that some of the rhythm games were a bit repetitive, because they at least had different music each time and different steps, so they weren't exactly the same. When there's 51 rounds, it's tough to make it completely different for each one.

Does anyone play Prof. Layton alot? I want to know if the Mask of .... is better with the 3D and such. Mario 3D land was awesome in my opinion, though a little bit easy.

I have not personally gotten it yet (I AM A FAILURE) but a good friend of mine whose tastes I trust immensely enjoyed it very much. There were some places where 3D models were used, but a lot of the charm of the 2D art is still present, such as in the cutscenes.

Of course, we both agree not many plots can top that found in the Unwound Future.

I really should get it soon...

I have not personally gotten it yet (I AM A FAILURE) but a good friend of mine whose tastes I trust immensely enjoyed it very much. There were some places where 3D models were used, but a lot of the charm of the 2D art is still present, such as in the cutscenes.

Of course, we both agree not many plots can top that found in the Unwound Future.

I really should get it soon...
Yes, the lost future was awesome. A bit over the top, but that made it so epic. I'm glad the 2D art is still present, it suits the game the best. I'm bound to get it one of these days ~

Hey, I've still got ~$15.98 in my 3DS shop; how does the online shop do taxes? I'm debating on downloading a full game (you know... like X/Y) if I can buy another $20 card can eek out enough money for it, but if I can't, I'll just download Cave Story.

breh

強いだね
Hey, I've still got ~$15.98 in my 3DS shop; how does the online shop do taxes? I'm debating on downloading a full game (you know... like X/Y) if I can buy another $20 card can eek out enough money for it, but if I can't, I'll just download Cave Story.
edit: aww, I guess that only applies to non-full games. You'd think that they wouldn't tax them since steam does the same...

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does anyone play Prof. Layton alot? I want to know if the Mask of .... is better with the 3D and such. Mario 3D land was awesome in my opinion, though a little bit easy.
Yeah I have all 5 Layton games :] I wouldn't say its "better" with 3D in terms of puzzles and gameplay, although it does give interactions a quite bit more character and the 3D is especially nice in the cutscenes.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
I know I'm a bit late, but I just found this song and thought it was the perfect way to sum up Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
I know im late, but, Sticker Star for me was far too easy at some points (Most bosses, and levels) or far too difficult at others. To prove my point, I leterally got stuck for 2 weeks because I couldn't find a hidden block.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I’ve finally beat Tales of the Abyss and decked out at 47 hours. That being said I did a fair amount of the sidequests that could probably knock off a good 3 hours or so. As an RPG it’s really great and I love the Tales battle system is one of the most engaging. It’s SSB in how you fight with your characters and each character has their strengths. Out of the 6 playable characters, (one special guest notwithstanding) you’ll probably only play as three since they are the fighters. You can easily command your spellcasters and healers from the touchscreen so there isn’t much need to play as them.

In terms of some of the mechanics there are some things that bothered me. This will mostly be comparable to other Tales games because they do some of these mechanics much more fluidly. Abyss as a Tales game is different for the sake of being different. The main one being the Field of Fonons or FoF’s as part of the combat system. Essentially using certain elemental attacks can create an elemental field on the battle area for a few seconds, certain other attacks can change completely when in the correct FoF but it’s mostly experimenting with knowing what works (or using a guide). The easiest strategies can often be have the spellcaster cast the elemental spell the boss is weak to (if any), and then proceed to use a tech from you character that creates a FoF attack as well. The problem being that any FoF attack does a camera zoom in. The skills in the game which can give you things from “jump in midair” to “faster backstep” are also decided by something called Capacity Cores which help you level up stats, sort of like EV’s in a way. Using the C-Cores to level up certain combinations of stats get you complimenting skills, but it’s never clear what raising your attack will give compared to raising your agility. Also the Overlimit system in this game is completely broken in every possible way. Overlimit is essentially a meter that builds up and gives characters a super mode and allows them to use a Mystic Art which is arguably their best move. In other Tales games such as Vesperia and Graces this meter is shared by everyone. In Abyss each character has one. If you know a boss is coming up have everyone charge it up (really easy compared to Vesperia, or heck Graces where you don’t hold charges in boss battles), then activate the Overlimit for each character one by one, you’ll probably knock a huge portion of the bosses health away within the first two minutes, and your sword fighters will probably be able to both charge it up again.

One last complaint is the side-quests because there are a lot and most of them can be missed very easily. There is a (relatively) spoiler-free guide out there to assist with doing them all but you can miss some really useful weapons and attacks if you don’t do these random quests at some points. In terms of the Tales series it is almost as bad as Vesperia where you can miss collector books because you didn’t look in a drawer at the start of the game.

Aside from those grievances I do hold Tales games in high regard because the plots can start simple enough but by Act 2 things start spiraling out of control. If Sticker Star just wasn't the RPG you wanted for the 3DS try this one out.

There's a pretty high chance that the US is getting the Pikachu XL soon. I'm sure there will be an announcement of it soon. Just wanted to let everyone know in case you were in the market for an XL. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)