np: ORAS OU Suspect Process, Round 6 - Purple Haze - Hoopa-U is now banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people. I do not wish to sound disrespectful. I admire CBB and respect many of the posters in this thread, but I am concerned.

Perhaps there is a bit of a bandwagon, a bit of a "burn the witch" mentality directed toward Hoopa-U. The opportunity to remove a threat from OU seems exciting, as we have an abundance of them in Gen VI.

But as those of you ban-voters laddering for reqs achieve them, I urge you to reconsider.

Hoopa-Unbound is truly a scary pokémon, but please, take a step back from gawking at its sky-high offensive stats, and think about what they actually do. Examine the mon as a whole.

It is imperative that we sentence only those things truly broken to ubers. Banning Hoopa-U means removing an offensive threat, will allow bulkier teams to prosper (some of you may be missing them, I suppose, as Gen VI has been a very offensive metagame, though we have also had our times Balance rising and Goth Stall terrorizing).

I'm going to address a few main points; I think they may help shed light as to why Hoopa-Unbound isn't worthy of banishment from OU. Please consider when voting on this mon's fate.

It doesn't get a kill every time it comes in

The specs Hoopa-U set is recently being praised for having "no counters," (might be important that while it doesn't have "counters," it has an incredible amount of checks) but 2hkoing only works if the opponent actually stays in. If Hoopa-U user correctly predicts a physically defensive Chansey (with rocks being up) and goes for Focus Blast, yes, it will 2hko even the might Chansey (if it hits twice, a 49% chance). But what Chansey user is going to stay in to take those two Focus Blasts?! Opponent can easily go into a teammate, perhaps a Mega-Sableye, and be immune to that fighting move Hoopa-U is locked into. A Chansey at 50% health is better than a dead one, and getting a free switch into Mega-Sableye means free turns to spam Knock or Wisp, or even set up Calm Mind, making Hoopa-U unable to come back in and beat you without crits. This example leads me into my next example…

It doesn't actually invalidate stall

Recent favouring of choiced Hoopa-U sets (band and especially specs) means that Hoopa-U cannot be worn down via LO recoil. But it also means Hoopa-U is locked into the move it choses, and tends to be taken advantage due to type immunities very easily. With Mega-Sableye not banned, stall teams live on, and it finds home on basically all of them. It also happens to be a very solid Hoopa-U check. In a 1v1 scenario, Mega-Sableye beats Hoopa-U almost 100% (dark pulse flinch can be worrysome, but just about every stall mon fears being flinched). Yes, it does beat even specs Hoopa 1v1; although the first Dark Pulse does more than 50%, Hoopa-U gets Knocked off and then can no longer 2hko. It will then be KOed by Foul Play afterwards. Physical or mixed Hoopa-U sets get flatout OHKOed by STAB foul play. Additionally, just about every single mon on Stall will never be OHKOed by Hoopa-U. In a situation where Hoopa-U fails to OHKO (almost always, against defensive behemoths) it will be forced to take a hit afterwards. With just 16 SpD EVs, Quagsire, bar far the the stall mon most vulnerable to Hoopa-U, will never be OHKOed by Specs Hoopa-U Dark Pulse. It can opt to just equake for 50% or toxic the Hoopa-U, after which the Stall player can easily go out to Chansey to soak up any more Dark Pulses. I get it, stall player will not always have their mons at full health, but I assure you, the defensive playstyle in general is not invalidated. If you don't believe me, go play the game or look for some replays from the past few months. In the metagame with Hoopa-U, stall was still plentiful, albeit matchup based. It made its way into tournaments, too. Now on the suspect ladder, Stall is absolutely dominating. Stall existed with Hoopa-U, but with a lack of Hoopa-U, stall becomes much more viable than it should be. We just suspected Mega-Sableye and Shadow Tag, and if both those things were banned, stall would really be done for. But M-Sab is still around, and since stall has already proven it can exist in a metagame where Hoopa-U is present, I don't understand how this is even an argument.

The choice-locked sets which makes it "uncounterable" are easy to take advantage of

Three out of the Four moves of Hoopa-U's uncounterable Specs set face type-immunities. Its Fighting move, Focus Blast, faces immunity by ghosts (Mega-Sableye, Gengar, etc). Its Psychic move, Psyshock, faces immunity by darks (Mega-Sableye, Bisharp, Weavile, Tyranitar, opposing Hoopa-u, etc). And the preferred fourth slot move, Thunderbolt, faces immunity by grounds (Excadrill, Garchomp, Lando-T, Gliscor, Hippowdown, etc). Another move which Physical Hoopa-U needs to beat fairies is Gunk Shot, which faces immunity by steels (Ferrothorn, Heatran, Excadrill, Bisharp, Klefki, Magnezone, Metagross, Jirachi, Scizor, Skarmory, etc). Hopefully I don't have to explain how terrible it is for Hoopa-U to be locked into a more team-specific coverage move like Hidden Power Ice, Grass Knot, or Fire Punch. Those moves might not have type-immunities, but they do provide some dangerous sweepers, for example, a Mega Charizard X setting up on a Hoopa-U locked into its weak HP Ice. Wallbreakers like Mega Heracross and Mega Medicham can't use choice items, and they don't need to either. Overall, other non-choiced wallbreakers available have less potential than Hoopa-U, yet they are much more reliable than Hoopa-U. A single mis-predict, and Hoopa-U faints, takes a hefty chunk out of its HP, or ends up being locked into a move that gives the opponent free turns. Additionally, even if Specs Hoopa-U correctly clicks Thunderbolt as a Mandibuzz comes in, that's great, the bird will take like 60% to 80% depending on EVs. But it’s not dead yet… It might be able to Roost up later on, or it might just be kept as death fodder for later on. Regardless, the opponent can keep it around as (s)he switches out to an electric immunity which most good teams have. Hoopa-U is frequently in a position where only one of its moves will work, and if it chooses wrong, it loses momentum for its team, or it might flat-out die. An Assault Vest Tornadus-T brushes aside a Dark Pulse or Focus Blast, it can take Thunderbolt in a pinch (yes, 80%-95%), however, it doesn’t like Psyshock at all. However, if it successfully switches in, it can U-turn out for basically no risk. This brings me into my next point…

Hoopa-U is a risky option in a metagame where momentum is extremely important

The u-turn weakness absolutely sucks. Even Tornadus-T with no atk EVs or item will always OHKO it with u-turn. This is very frustrating for the Hoopa-U user, and entirely rewarding while being very risk-free for the Tornadus-T user. If Hoopa-U user sacks his/her Hoopa, great, now down to just 5 mons. If switches out, then Tornadus-T u-turn gains chip damage on an incoming switch, and gets switch initiative, meaning the Torn-T user gets to pick a desirable match-up for the next turn. In a real battle, this might look like a Torn-T u-turning against a Rocky Helmet Chomp, (it will heal up all that damage thanks to Regenerator) dealing only like 10% to Chomp, but then, the real advantages is gained when the Tornadus-T user can send in a mon easily capable of killing Garchomp. That mon might be a Choice Specs Keldeo, which either fires off a strong H Pump, tries to burn a switch-in with Scald, or just goes for the kill with Icy Wind. Icy Wind will also hit an incoming Lati, making it further a desirable move. U-turn weakness is very limiting to Hoopa-U, making it sometimes a liability against offensive teams. Losing momentum as an opponent goes for a risk-free u-turn is extremely frustrating. Chip damage accumulates on the u-turn switch in, and the opponent gains switch initiative. And don't think that u-turn isn't common enough to make a difference. Top tier threats, particularly Tornadus-T and Landorus-T happily spam it as they come in against Special or Physical Hoopa respectively (I know they can't come in 100% of the time, coverage options exists, but they at the very least they will check Hoopa-U 100% of the time).

Hoopa-U is slow and frail

Slowness alone isn't too bad, not even for a wallbreaker. Sometimes a low speed mon like Azumarill will run enough speed to to outpace a Clefable or Skarmory. Conkeldurr is another slow but powerful wallbreaker, it will often run some speed to outpace Hippowdown. But these two mons have natural bulk going for them, allowing them to tank hits on the special and physical sides, in turn allowing them to beat faster threats 1v1 by taking a hit and OHKOing in return. Hoopa shares the mediocre speed stat of many wallbreakers, but it has significantly worse defense. I'll say that at least Hoopa-U is faster than some walls, but it's not fast enough to match up very well against anything but those walls. It can tank powerful special hits in a pinch, even a Draco Meteor from Latios (does around 80%). Special Attackers that you might expect Hoopa-U to beat, perhaps Alakazam, can still bypass Hoopa-U's special bulk with a Signal Beam. And don't tell me Signal Beam shows overcentralization. It hits Celebi harder than Shadowball, and hits the same Psychic targets of Shadowball bar Gross and Rachi, so it's not inferior. Hoopa-U's speed allows it to wallbreak effectively, especially if it gets a free switchi-in to something like Slowbro. However, it's not enough to perform against faster teams and physical attackers. Many neutral hits like Weavile's Knock off or Keldeo's Secret Sword will flat-out OHKO Hoopa-U.

Its lack of any defensive synergy is a small annoyance for teambuilding

While Hoopa-U's specs set has no counters (again, it has many, many checks, and depending on the move a Specs Hoopa-U is locked into, the opponent can take advantage of type immunities for set-up or just free turns in general), Hoopa-U hardly counters anything either. Hoopa-U can barely switch in on walls that have physical attacks. The passive Hippowdon's EQ does 70% to Hoopa-U, a defensive Lando-T's U-turn OHKOs it, and the list goes on. The only mons Hoopa-U can actually switch in safely on and then beat are defensive mons which lack special attacks or supereffective moves (note this, because Clefable 2HKOs Hoopa-U with moonblast, meaning Hoopa-U will lose if it switches in on a moonblast, in fact Specs Hoopa-U even has a chance to lose 1v1 thanks to Moonblast’s 30% chance to drop the opponent's SpA). Even defensive mons like Slowbro and Max HP Starmie discourage Hoopa-U from switching in because they sometimes carry T-Wave. A T-waved Hoopa-U can't even outspeed the defensive mons it's supposed to, and having a 25% failure rate multiplied onto all your attacks is always frustrating. Pretty much the only way to bring Hoopa-U in (outside of sacking a mon) is to predict the opponent’s switch into a wall. Instead of attacking with a Mega Medicham, you might opt to double into Hoopa on the predicted Slowbro. However, just as Hoopa-U has no counters, it doesn't really counter anything either.

We have had mons without counters before

Someone mentioned BW2 Hydreigon, and I think that's a good point. Hydreigon in this generation has severe 4-moveslot-syndrome thanks to the introduction of Fairy-type. But in BW2, what was switching into it? After it got access to the move tutors, it could even go mixed and nail things with Superpower. Kyurem-B is actually pretty similar to Hoopa-U, but because it was on the initial ban list, it got reverse-suspected to come down from Ubers. To this day, nothing wants to switch into Kyu-B. However, its middling speed stat makes it prone to being revenge killed, just like Hoopa-U. However I believe Hoopa-U is sometimes even worse than Kyu-B because it can be revenge killed with u-turn, a move that eases prediction and always provides the user with an advantage. Kyurem-B actually has some decent natural bulk, although it is somewhat prone to being worn down thanks to its weakness to Stealth Rock. Sorry to go in and out of the past, but it is worth noting how Kyurem-B matched up fantastically against Balanced teams in Gen 5, particularly common Sand Balance (it owned rain balance too if its team support could weaken Ferrothorn enough). It could forego Roost in favour of HP Fire coverage for Ferrothorn, overall it was just a monster toward that specific team Archtype. Perhaps this generation, Hoopa-U will be a monster against certain slower teams. Like Bisharp, it will terrorize those Slowbro/Clefable builds, but at the cost of performing badly against offense (bisharp actually performs well against both defensive teams and even HO, but it has its own unique flaws). Not having counters does not mean brokenness, and it's important to understand that.

Afterthoughts:

TL;DR? Well, the bold things I wrote make a decent summary. Hopefully you can at least skim through the real text, though. Hoopa-U is a mixed bag. While it will certainly be matching up excellently against "fatter teams," it isn’t invalidating Stall as a playstyle at all. If anything, it keeps those teams at bay. The fact that Defensive teams can exist at all in such a metagame shows one things: we need our wallbreakers to prevent such teams from dominating. And while Hoopa-U is scary because of “having no counters,” Hoopa-U itself cannot counter anything. It switches into nothing comfortably, relying on double switches and sometimes daring predictions to be used effectively. Its Choice sets are powerful, its Choice Specs set is the only reason it earns the title "No Counters," but they rely on that very dangerous thing: prediction. Hoopa-U can be taken advantage of fairly easily, as its commonly run Psychic, Dark, Elelectric, and Poison moves all face immunities. Finally, its weakness to u-turn severely hampers its effectiveness in a metagame where “momentum” is so very important. When revenge killing a threat like Mega Metagross, you might be faced with the decision of EQing with Scarf Lando-T or u-turning in prediction of a switch out. If you EQ as the opponent switches out into an immunity, the opponent gains a free turn for possible set-up or else taking advantage in some other way. Against a Hoopa-U, however, there’s no prediction required. Just click u-turn. If Hoopa-U stays in, it dies. If it switches out, then the u-turn user gains switch initiative and can continue the offensive momentum. Hoopa-U is a powerful mon, but we might not even see it in S-rank for that much longer. As hype rises and falls, as metagame trends change, viability of certain mons will change. Some people were demanding for a Mega Alt suspect, however now it’s down in A- rank. Hoopa-U will be a dangerous threat for a while, that’s for sure. It will keep defensive teams at bay, while Offensive teams won't even have to worry about preparing for it because of all the things they naturally back that outspeed it. But is Hoopa-U's pressure on defensive teams enough to warrant a ban? I highly doubt it.

We need to ban things that are broken. An Aegislash that forced 50/50s constantly and completely dominated the metagame? I think it’s a good decision to ban that. Shadowtag, taking away one of the most fundamental aspects of competitive pokémon, switching? I think it’s a good idea to ban that. But Hoopa-U, no, it does not scream “broken” nearly to the extent of some of these other things. People have gone through hype stages about Mega Alt, Mega Metagross, Mega Sableye. Now Hoopa-U is receiving a lot of hype. But Hoopa-U is not controlling the metagame. It is fulfilling roll of a potent wallbreaker. It is keeping stall teams at bay, but obiviously not invalidating them. It is simply not broken, and I urge you intelligent (wo)men to vote no ban.

After-after though:

Another poster in this thread made a point about playstyles of the past and present. "Hyper Offense" didn't actually exist until Gen 4. That is when we saw new choice items and set-up sweepers like never before. Perhaps GameFreak is telling us something by releasing offensive monsters like Hoopa-U more regularly nowadays. They've even limited Wi-fi battles to be 1 hour length. This might tell us something about defensive playstyles in general. Stall isn't dead yet, but I predict it to be eradicated within a few generations. For too many people, long matches are less enjoyable. Perhaps as match times are hastened in the future, we may see tournaments leaning toward Best of 5 as opposed to Bo3? I don't know, I'm speculating. 6v6 singles is the only metagame which allows for the possibility of Stall, nowadays more stall teams are running one or two offensive mons (really stall at that point?). Many stall matches that take place on PS are actually impossible to replicate in-game. Because of the 1 hr battle timer and the fact that long in-game animation times and connectivity slowness drain the clock, a 20-minute PS match would probable take 1 hour in-game, and we all know that 20 minutes isn't anywhere near the longest match to take place. I'm rambling, I guess. It's interesting how times change, though. There is always Gen 2 if you enjoy stall :P.

P.S. - I'm Rick Astley's post on page #15 was a good one. People argue with him that the comparison wasn't perfect, but I liked it, and it made good points. Every suspect test is unique, but please, I think banning Hoopa-U is very contradictory. Maybe the community is different or whatever, but Kyurem-B was released from Ubers with a surprisingly overwhelming majority. We just need 40% no-ban votes to keep Hoopa-U, though honestly I hope to see that number exceed 60%.

P.S.S. - It looks like WhiteQueen and Chansey, despite dislike of mind games, think Hoopa-U should stay! I think the argument of Hoopa-U's reliance on prediction is a solid one too. Even if I make teams without consideration of Hoopa-U, naturally I'll have plenty of checks, and the ability to play around it. Hoopa-U is definitely better than other wallbreakers when its user clicks the correct move every single time, but that's obviously completely impossible. Hoopa-U often has just one move to hit the switch-in for sufficient damage, and its user makes a mistake, it can be very detrimental as Focus Blast, Psyshock, Thunderbolt, and many of Hoopa-U's physical moves all do zero damage against certain types, meaning free turns and set-up opportunities granted to the opponent in the situation of a misplay.

ScarfTar has been common on stall/semi-stall for quite some time, since it's fairly bulky for a Scarf mon (thus a great Wish recipient), and checks important things that Stall can have trouble handling such as other Tyranitar (especially banded), both Zard forms, Talonflame, and so on.

"Pure" stall that's based on hazard-stacking and having little to no offensive presence hasn't been very viable in a long time, and that's fine. Nowadays, stall teams run one threat that often doubles as speed control (band Weavile, ScarfTar, etc.).

Choice Scarf Tyranitar only started becoming considered on defensive teams once Mega Sableye + Gothitelle stall squads were becoming increasingly common. Other than that, Choice Scarf Tyranitar has rarely ever been considered on stall in XY / ORAS OU outside of the current Hoopa-U metagame.

Reactions: amg

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
okay 4012 I don't mind the rest of your post (because it's so long I didn't actually read it yet and just skimmed over it) but for fucks sake can we please stop fucking pretending that something like HO didn't exist in ADV when stuff like CM Spam/DD Spam, which is 100% the same goddamn concept aka breaking down each others counters by overloading walls and using your sweepers in a sacrifical fashion, are really pretty fucking common?? like no shit theres no deoxys to get sr + 18 layers of spikes as a lead but if you think that this isn't comparable to modern age HO then I don't know what to say lol and I'm pretty sure everyone who has played ADV on a decently high level at any point will tell you the exact same

seriously if I see that kind of flawed, fucked up, lack-of-any-adv-knowledge-whatsoever comparison again I'm actually gonna strangle someone oh my god

" 2hkoing only works if the opponent actually stays in"

Well, if the opponent switches out, the mon that comes in gets hit like a truck. Still alive, but one more hit would kill them. (mega-sab coming in on psyshock is too specific a scenario to base a metagame-wide decision off of) Ok, they switch again, another mon takes a hit from a truck.

etc. etc.

A strategy where you switch every turn doesn't work. And one of the ban arguments is that Hoopa has no switchins, so regardless (corner-cases aside), someone is getting hurt real bad.

Hoopa-U is slow and frail
i mean maybe with the power and speed creeps 80/60/130 defenses and 80 speed is 'slow and frail,' but I would call that average (besides physical defense).
IMO a mon doesn't need to be soul dew Lati@s to get a ban. It just needs to be too powerful for the tier.

Closing thoughts:

I play balance, and I think balance is hurt possibly even more than stall by hoopa. I never run mega-sab, which is probably one of the better answers. My balance squad can handle KyuB, keldeo, manaphy, but every time I've come across a Hoopa I've lost one or two mons no contest. As in, he switches in on someone he can definitely beat 1v1, I switch out, the switch is either KOd or 2HKOd. And I will stay in, because I'd rather sac a mon who's at 20% than bring someone else in to get beat down to a similar %, leaving me with two severely weakend mons.

Last edited:
Am I misinterpreting something here? The game replay you linked shows Hoopa merking 4 mons with what looks like ease. It does pick focus blast and OHKO the terrakion, it OHKOs the venasaur with a psyshock, OHKOs the starmie with dark pulse, and then it stays in on heatran and just straight up beats it 1v1. Was this supposed to support the unban camp (not being sarcastic I'm just confused about the intention of this post)?

It particularly refutes this point:

"Furthermore, Hoopa-U can't come in multiple times per match due to how physically frail it is"

As you can see it comes in like 5 times and gets 4 kills...
Well there's a lot you can misconceive from 1 game, such as assuming that games are usually literally decided by cm wars between two clefs, people always use clef, or that clef always runs the same set. I directed people to a specific turn for a reason, to show that you can be in a bad situation just by clicking dark pulse, so there are risks involved with using Hoopa. This isn't actually indicative of what Hoopa-U normally does in a game, we've already had a larger sample here, found here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...und-6-purple-haze.3568442/page-3#post-6733781

But yes, point taken, I could have used other replays to show how Hoopa-U can actually have its user end up in a bad spot by virtue of its downsides, and not actually being very mindless at all. Instead, take a look at this replay, turns 1 and 2.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-114886

I thought I'd just edit this in, because it doesn't really warrant a new post, but actually, yes, the risk/reward was pretty even there. If he had clicked focus blast, and Keldeo clicked SS, then GeeMick lost Hoopa-U turn 1 without it breaking anything. As it was, the other scenario played out where Hoopa-U didn't click the right coverage move, so it was used as sack fodder later.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is saying Hoopa U has 0 risk vs 100% reward, but the risk v reward ratio is MASSIVELY tilted.There is significantly less risk than there is reward, something I'm sure we can all agree on.

Lol, that was just a replay of someone with balls of steel. Had GeeMick gone for FB, TTar would have died, and Hoopa clicked DPulse/Psychic on literally everything.

Last edited:
Why has no one mentioned that hoopa is 0ko'd by dugtrio due to its pitiful defences? Moreover, if it's locked into thunderbolt, (and uses it to, say, take out the Mandibuzz you're running) then dugtrio can come in and simply set up with hone claws (and possibly some cheeky ancient power boosts) and then sweep the entire opposing team. I defeated many a specs hoopa team like this and it was very funny. Even if the hoopa in question didn't use thunderbolt, dugtrio revenge killed it effortlessly anyway and the game moved on. If the team wasn't running a specs hoopa, (such as band/life orb) then the Mandibuzz on my team was a hard counter for it, since it doesn't threaten Mandibuzz at all otherwise and is severely damaged by foul play. This allowed me to switch Mandibuzz in to hoopa with complete confidence every time I saw one; either it could soak up a hit and threaten with foul play, or better yet, was taken out by specs thunderbolt - allowing me to setup with impunity when I sent dugtrio in.

Since one of my favourite teams runs both Mandibuzz and duggie, I would say the rise in specs hoopa made my life a lot easier. That's why I was genuinely disappointed with the suspect test - rather than struggling with hoopa, as many pro-banners appear to, I found it easy to defeat and exploit to my advantage; I won entire games through free +6 dugtrio sweeps.

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
1) dugtrio is not great
2) it cant switch in for its life
3) thunderbolt is not a common move to be locked into
4) it outright loses to scarf hoopa
5) that is an example of something bad being used solely for the purpose of killing Hoopa-U and is an example of overcentralisation.

Why has no one mentioned that hoopa is 0ko'd by dugtrio due to its pitiful defences? Moreover, if it's locked into thunderbolt, (and uses it to, say, take out the Mandibuzz you're running) then dugtrio can come in and simply set up with hone claws (and possibly some cheeky ancient power boosts) and then sweep the entire opposing team. I defeated many a specs hoopa team like this and it was very funny. Even if the hoopa in question didn't use thunderbolt, dugtrio revenge killed it effortlessly anyway and the game moved on..
No one is arguing that Hoopa is invincible. The main argument is that it invalidates defensive teams with ease. These teams can't just sack pokemon to get a fast physical attacker like Dugtrio out as it leaves a hole in the team another pokemon can take advantage of. That's why no one cares about Dugtrio, that and it has its own flaws others can exploit.

No one is arguing that Hoopa is invincible. The main argument is that it invalidates defensive teams with ease. These teams can't just sack pokemon to get a fast physical attacker like Dugtrio out as it leaves a hole in the team another pokemon can take advantage of. That's why no one cares about Dugtrio, that and it has its own flaws others can exploit.
My team was a stall team; it ran Chansey, mega bro, amoonguss, Skarmory, Mandibuzz and Dugtrio. You may feel that it invalidates stall teams, but as an avid stall user, (and someone who has received a lot of flack for using stall), I actually found hoopa made my life a lot easier due to how easily my stall team could exploit it.

1) dugtrio is not great
2) it cant switch in for its life
3) thunderbolt is not a common move to be locked into
5) that is an example of something bad being used solely for the purpose of killing Hoopa-U and is an example of overcentralisation.
You may feel that way. I was simply making the point that my *stall* team, which already existed without any conscious thought put into defeating hoopa easily defeated and actually exploited the prolificity of hoopa. It was the combination of Mandibuzz and dugtrio together that totally ruined it. If hoopa chooses to use tbolt (which it must to ko my Mandibuzz, which otherwise walls it) then dugtrio can come in and set up with hone claws (and maybe fish with ancient power) and then proceed to sweep the entire team. This applied too to a scarf and requires no sacking - unless Mandibuzz goes down to thunderbolt, which I used to celebrate because it effectively provided me with a win condition. Or, in the event that hoopa didn't run thunderbolt, Mandibuzz hard walled it anyway and could destroy it with foul play.

Last edited:
Why has no one mentioned that hoopa is 0ko'd by dugtrio due to its pitiful defences? Moreover, if it's locked into thunderbolt, (and uses it to, say, take out the Mandibuzz you're running) then dugtrio can come in and simply set up with hone claws (and possibly some cheeky ancient power boosts) and then sweep the entire opposing team. I defeated many a specs hoopa team like this and it was very funny. Even if the hoopa in question didn't use thunderbolt, dugtrio revenge killed it effortlessly anyway and the game moved on. If the team wasn't running a specs hoopa, (such as band/life orb) then the Mandibuzz on my team was a hard counter for it, since it doesn't threaten Mandibuzz at all otherwise and is severely damaged by foul play. This allowed me to switch Mandibuzz in to hoopa with complete confidence every time I saw one; either it could soak up a hit and threaten with foul play, or better yet, was taken out by specs thunderbolt - allowing me to setup with impunity when I sent dugtrio in.

Since one of my favourite teams runs both Mandibuzz and duggie, I would say the rise in specs hoopa made my life a lot easier. That's why I was genuinely disappointed with the suspect test - rather than struggling with hoopa, as many pro-banners appear to, I found it easy to defeat and exploit to my advantage; I won entire games through free +6 dugtrio sweeps.
Let me guess, focus sash? The moment people use focus sashed mons to deal with something, well it doesn't speak well of it being balanced as a switch in.

Having to sack a defogger utility u turner to deal with Hoopa with a revenge killer kind of evidences how centralizing it can get.

On the matter of revenge killing running a mandibuzz plus dugtrio doesn't really offer much core wise even if it is able to revenge electric types not called thundurus or choice locked magnezone/scarf tar.

1) dugtrio is not great
As regards these points, this is a matter of perspective. Dugtrio, *wasn't* a good Pokemon, in your opinion. I happen to think that the introduction of hoopa rendering it a more useful Pokemon is a wonderful thing - it changes the viability of a neglected but interesting Pokemon in the metagame, which in my view makes it more dynamic and keeps it fresh. Perhaps if hoopa remained unbanned we would see a rise in dugtrio usage - and that in turn might decrease the number of people, for example, using heatran. Personally, I find that kind of change interesting and desirable in the metagame.

Let me guess, focus sash? The moment people use focus sashed mons to deal with something, well it doesn't speak well of it being balanced as a switch in.

Having to sack a defogger utility u turner to deal with Hoopa with a revenge killer kind of evidences how centralizing it can get.

On the matter of revenge killing running a mandibuzz plus dugtrio doesn't really offer much core wise even if it is able to revenge electric types not called thundurus or choice locked magnezone/scarf tar.
You fundamentally misunderstand my strategy. I didn't *have* to sack Mandibuzz at all, since Mandibuzz hard walls hoopa UNLESS it uses thunderbolt. If it uses thunderbolt, it's not that it provides me an opportunity to revenge kill, it's that I effectively win the entire game.

IF it uses the thunderbolt from the specs set, it is locked into thunderbolt when I send in dugtrio after Mandibuzz is ko'd. Dugtrio is immune to thunderbolt and can go to +6 attack with hone claws; hoopa is not able to reply and cannot switch out. I was usually then able to sweep the entire enemy team with dugtrio. Get it?

If it doesn't use or doesn't have thunderbolt, or is a band set, then Mandibuzz hard walls it and nothing gets sacked; I can counter it by forcing it out or destroying it with foul play.

By the way, this doesn't apply exclusively to Mandibuzz, but in the case of the specs set, to any wall capable of soaking hits from hoopa except thunderbolt (bulky water types). If they are baited into using thunderbolt, they effectively lose the battle. That was my fun ready-made (that is, my team consisted of Mandibuzz and dugtrio before hoopa) way of dealing with it that I wanted to share, that's all - and coming from someone who uses stall, which hoopa is alleged to invalidate.

Last edited:
Then change the standard utility Mandibuzz into something that has just enough special defence Evs to deal with specs Hoopa. Like mine. Ta da!
Or just plainly stop relying on forced gimmicks, full spdef mandibuzz loses a lot of switch ins an utility mandibuzz actually has, the fact that a gimmick like that exists or a one Pokémon set is reinforced sacrificing utility is evidence enough of a Pokemon bring centralizing. Also pgunk 2hkos mandibuzz on the cb and set.

Seriously dude posting a gimmicky Pokémon with bad synergy as dugtrio and making it pass as a lure/revenge killing with a Pokemon that doesn't wall Hoopa U at all is a terrible thing to do, it's almost as bad as suggesting a fast u turn on every team as it makes Hoopa U looks more threatening to team building than it already is, the playstyles that have problems with Hoopa U can't afford to run a HO one time fix such as dugtrio nor a lure set of a Pokemon they need to gain momentum.

I got reqs recently, and when I was laddering, I played a lot of stall. Now stall is definitely better without hoopa, but I stress that it is not hard to beat. I had about a 9-2 record against stall. There are plenty of stall breakers left that can beat stall, so the fact that "stall would get better" is not a valid argument to save hoopa. Hoopa is over centralizing and needs to go.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
One thing that's been brought up before is how hoopa existing is somehow good for stall because less people run other stallbreakers. I actually believe people running stallbreakers besides hoopa is a healthy thing for the metagame regardless of its effect on stall. It creates more variety, encourages people to find new ways of breaking stall, stall to find ways to prepare for these stallbreakers, and generally keeps the metagame from getting stale. On the suspect ladder I've noticed far more varied stallbreaking techniques, and stallbreakers that were less used before like subcm keld, magma storm tran, mew, np togekiss, and taunt mega garde to name a few.

Playing stall was actually a lot more interesting and I enjoyed trying to play around these stallbreakers. It makes laddering a lot more fun.

Then change the standard utility Mandibuzz into something that has just enough special defence Evs to deal with specs Hoopa.. Like mine. Ta da!
The tragedy is that sp def Mandibuzz plus Duggie is probably the most successful strategy the anti ban side has put forward for defensive teams to deal with Hoopa. Narrowly defeats HP + Speed Landorus-t and "don't mega evolve mega Diancie".

Specs Hoopa 2HKO's your standard Utility Mandbuzz with Focus Blast.
Too bad FB is unreliable and terrible to spam, same for CB Gunk Shot which was mentioned by someone previously. Mandi is not the perfect counter but it is reliable enough, move on. Not saying this is enough to state Hoopa is not broken (I indeed think its not broken for other reasons mainly)

Last edited:
Mandi is not the perfect counter but it is reliable enough, move on.
I wouldn't consider crossing your fingers to avoid the second hit "reliable enough", ever. We can agree FB has less than stellar accuracy, but it has more than enough accuracy to be terrifying. Point is, Mandibuzz cannot come in, and when you're banking on 30% chances, you've gotta realize there's a problem. Now, you said that you're not saying that's justification for it not being broken, but it's still flimsy reasoning, and in this thread, it's bait for people to grab onto and hold on for dear life.

Last edited:
Should be noted that Specs Hoopa-U also has the option of running Trick over Thunderbolt, and Mandibuzz itself is heavily crippled by it. The con to this is losing power(which someone is bound to use as a counter argument to say that this point is invalid), but effectively invalidating a defensive Pokemon has its uses; not just for Hoopa-U, but the rest of its teammates.

So really, you don't even HAVE to gamble with Focus Blast against Mandibuzz if that's such a problem. Proper support can compensate for Hoopa-U's now reduced power as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)