np: USUM UU Stage 9.1 - Dancing In the Dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I just got reqs, so I figured I'd write my opinion here. I didn't know whether should I post it or not since it's more of an unconventional opinion if anything, but then again, every opinion should be treated equally :blobshrug:.

I believe that having a suspect test now was a mistake. In my opinion, the right move to make was to wait for the metagame to settle a bit; to wait for the metagame to change itself for Bisharp's presence. Currently, unorthodox Bisharp answers are just being discovered - Chesnaught, Mega Steelix, and Gligar are on a rise, as well as more orthodox Pokemon like Cobalion and Kommo-o. The metagame still needs time to make itself clear on whether does it wants Bisharp in it or not.

Would Chesnaught have become a staple on balance teams if we waited a bit? Would anti-offense Pokemon like Infernape and Suicune, as well as Rapid Spin users like Tsareena and Mega Blastoise have become much more common because of Bisharp's presence? All of these are factors may have had the potential to make Bisharp not unhealthy to the metagame (or, on the contrary, make us realize Bisharp is indeed unhealthy to the metagame).

In my eyes, voting whether to unban Bisharp or to keep it in UUBL is a sole gamble, hence, I will probably vote Abstain. Getting the gamble wrong may make us have to go through another suspect testing process, or perhaps make us lose a potential healthy piece in the metagame.

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Everybody's talking about Life Orb SD but I think Choice Band and Rock Polish 3 Attacks could also be good options. I don't really have time to test it tho so I hope some of you will. Regarding the voting I don't think Bisharp is broken but UU is better without the pressure it puts on team building and on hazard removal. UU doesn't need that mon and doesn't want it either.

Last edited:

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
624_pawniard_bisharp_justoon_smitts.jpg

**artwork by me**

I'm not going to get the reqs for this suspect since I'm getting married this weekend and will be gone for my honeymoon for a week, so I'll go ahead and post my thoughts now that I found some time.

I initially thought Bisharp would be way too much for the tier. It's insanely good at applying pressure on your opponent, since getting the prediction right on what move it goes for can be difficult. One wrong move can cost you the game. It applies so much offensive pressure on not just Defoggers, but also more offensive teams and Choice-locked Pokemon thanks to Defiant and its access to Pursuit, respectively. It even threatens bulkier builds thanks to one strong Knock Off potentially crippling bulky 'mons that rely on their items like Hippowdon.

Then it hit me that the new metagame hasn't really adjusted to Bisharp yet. Now, there are some odd Pokemon on the rise that counter Bisharp like Mega Steelix and Chesnaught, and even using all the Fighting-types like Cobalion and Infernape handle it pretty well. I also noticed that 9 times out of 10, I'm using Bisharp for its Dark-type STABS only. It has an interesting movepool that also includes Iron Head, Low Kick, and Stone Edge, but I only ever click Sucker Punch, Knock Off, or Pursuit. That STAB is resisted by a good chunk of the tier: Hydreigon, Scizor, Togekiss, Cobalion, Kommo-O, Klefki, Mega Altaria, Alolan Muk, Crawdaunt and Chesnaught, to name a few off the top of my head. It really only has a few sets that utilize two or all three of these moves. Bisharp also can't really spam Sucker Punch on Substitute users like Calm Mind Chandelure, Tsareena, or the rare Hex Gengar, even though it should be able to beat these normally. You're essentially gambling to see if you get the drop on your opponent first, and one wrong move from either side is game over.

I don't know, maybe I'm rambling, but I feel like Bisharp should be given a chance in UU. It'll be a pain in the ass, but maybe let UU adjust to it before we decide. It looks like it already has for the most part and people are finding answers to it. I'm not getting reqs for this one, but if I did, I think I would have voted No Ban.

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi, got my reqs. Been a minute since I've done a post like this, idrk where to start. But I think Bish is fine rn, I won't go too much into it because there's 3 pages of that shit and half of it is prolly just c/p. I don't have a problem with bish in this meta, but the main thing I am here to give my opinion on is webs rn. I still don't think by any means that webs is like the most viable thing in the world but I do think webs gets better with Bisharp in the tier > getting worse. Webs gives Bisharp a free SD, but answers to Bisharp aren't that difficult to plop onto webs. Imo the one you'll use to the best success is probably NP Lucario, since Luke checks Scizor, Staka, Bisharp, as well as having a great fat matchup. It's not too difficult to play around Bisharp on webs, or at least that's how I feel after playing my games for reqs.

This is the squad I used to get reqs. I basically wanted to build bish webs as soon as I realized it was a possibility due to many months of having Tornadus as the only semi viable Defiant user for webs. I decided to go with the Z Sucker Punch set which I think is pretty neat. Araq was my webber of choice. Mamo was my rocker of choice because of it's ability to pressure common defoggers as well as flying dragons and birds like Mega Aerodactyl and Hydreigon with Ice Shard. Nidoking is another option here that would be viable to improve the Zera matchup but I felt Ice Shard was to important here so I plopped sash onto the Mamo and it's worked out nicely. I went with Lucario next mainly because of Bisharp, but it also just abuses webs so well and improves the stall m/u immensely with the NP set. LO vwave is cool vs TR as well oo. I went with Latias in this slot because I needed a ground immunity and something that could reliably check shit like Moltres. CM Tbolt Lati sounded like the move so there's that. Gengar was the last mon to be put in place and it's there as a spinblocker, webs abuser, taunt user, and a fairy resist on a team w/ 2 steels and no fairy resist lmao.

This team is definitely not the standard bish HO but I want to get rid of the idea that bish being in the tier will make webs worse, because nape, coba, luke, kommo, etc etc are all viable on webs. As for bish in general, I never really had an issue with it, I feel like once the ladder adapts a bit more there will be less sucker punch sweeps n shit. Idk what's gonna happen but idrc care enough to theorize, I enjoyed having bish around and I never really had any issue playing against it. I'll be voting unban.

araq for b- n_n, c5 aoty

View attachment 141441
**artwork by me**

I'm not going to get the reqs for this suspect since I'm getting married this weekend and will be gone for my honeymoon for a week, so I'll go ahead and post my thoughts now that I found some time.

I initially thought Bisharp would be way too much for the tier. It's insanely good at applying pressure on your opponent, since getting the prediction right on what move it goes for can be difficult. One wrong move can cost you the game. It applies so much offensive pressure on not just Defoggers, but also more offensive teams and Choice-locked Pokemon thanks to Defiant and its access to Pursuit, respectively. It even threatens bulkier builds thanks to one strong Knock Off potentially crippling bulky 'mons that rely on their items like Hippowdon.

Then it hit me that the new metagame hasn't really adjusted to Bisharp yet. Now, there are some odd Pokemon on the rise that counter Bisharp like Mega Steelix and Chesnaught, and even using all the Fighting-types like Cobalion and Infernape handle it pretty well. I also noticed that 9 times out of 10, I'm using Bisharp for its Dark-type STABS only. It has an interesting movepool that also includes Iron Head, Low Kick, and Stone Edge, but I only ever click Sucker Punch, Knock Off, or Pursuit. That STAB is resisted by a good chunk of the tier: Hydreigon, Scizor, Togekiss, Cobalion, Kommo-O, Klefki, Mega Altaria, Alolan Muk, Crawdaunt and Chesnaught, to name a few off the top of my head. It really only has a few sets that utilize two or all three of these moves. Bisharp also can't really spam Sucker Punch on Substitute users like Calm Mind Chandelure, Tsareena, or the rare Hex Gengar, even though it should be able to beat these normally. You're essentially gambling to see if you get the drop on your opponent first, and one wrong move from either side is game over.

I don't know, maybe I'm rambling, but I feel like Bisharp should be given a chance in UU. It'll be a pain in the ass, but maybe let UU adjust to it before we decide. It looks like it already has for the most part and people are finding answers to it. I'm not getting reqs for this one, but if I did, I think I would have voted No Ban.
Congratz on getting married, dude. Also I agree as well. At first, Bish seemed like an unstoppable menace that was kinda unhealthy. Well I still think its kinda unhealthy, after using it, it's not that broken. Yes it's good, but its not any Azumarill or Mega Latias. It has a good number of checks and counters, and has both of offensive and defensive counterplay. If I ever get reqs, I will be voting No Ban.

First of all thank you for the sample team smogon twitter account posted a while a go.

Bisharp is a strong mon indeed but as I played it didn't seem broken or overpowered at all.
Does pretty good against slow mons but doesn't have the best speed tier to dominate the metagame.
Wow Rotom-H, mega steelix & aggron, quagsire, kommo-o, cobaleon, bewear with wish suppory gave me really hard time to do anything with bisharp. Also being as fragile as it is, can't really switch on even resisted hits and get chiped away easily with spikes.
Mega sharpedo gave me way worse time than any bisharp I faced.

I don't think it's either ban worthy or bad for the metagame.

No ban

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think Bisharp has proven to be pretty manageable from what I've seen / watched other people's games, I purposely was using a team with relatively little counterplay to it during my run (Cobalion with no passive recovery) and I think you definitely have to play well to put it in positions to take advantage of +2/+4 Sucker Punch. Instead of rehashing what other No Ban voters have said I do want to talk about a couple fun sets Bisharp has that aren't really in the spotlight right now because of the focus on Swords Dance variants (rightfully so, its the only set that you could even potentially think of as "broken").

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch / Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Low Kick

Quite good at keeping up hazards actually, forces a lot of Empoleons and such to go for scald on the Switch, and you can absolutely nuke them even if you stay in on the scald with either Z move or Low Kick. Can threaten every Defogger common in the tier right off the bat with either one of its STABs or Low Kick. Brings a lot of guesswork for your opponent on what coverage move you're using / are you rocking / when to remove or when to attack, definitely headache inducing to fight. Also checks itself as a Jolly Low Kick variant, I used it on a bulky offense team with Chesnaught and it did quite nicely.

Bisharp @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Low Kick / Pursuit

Bisharp definitely has merits as a Revenge Killer because there are a lot of fast Steel Resists running around including new toy Zeraora, + it is somewhatstronger. Scizor is much more easily used in teams / in practice due to the spammability of U-turn and Bullet Punch's reliability compared to Sucker Punch, but I think that Bisharp's access to STAB Knock Off and ability to hit different spread of targets will give it a relevant niche as a CB user.

Assault Vest I haven't used personally but in theory I think it could have some applications as a less passive Alomuk (but it really only gets one chance to trap its targets, so would require very precise play, which to be fair Alomuk already does to be used successfully). Nonetheless this would be a B or C rank set compared to everything else Bisharp has being A/S. Don't use Steelium, a lot of the dark resists outspeed you so you'd have to hit it unboosted on switches unless you're targeting Hippowdon (not that hard to chip!) whereas Darkinium targets are often going to be slower than you.

Looking forward to seeing what effects become concrete, especially if Chesnaught Offense / Balance becomes even more relevant after seeing sparing use in UUPL and then some more significant time during Grand Slam.

Probably not going to get reqs since I started a new job that took up a lot of my time. Just gonna mention that in the 25ish games I've played on ladder, I haven't found Bisharp to be a huge problem. It's definitely a threat that needs to be taken into account, but that's nothing new when it comes to building teams and battling. Would vote no ban.

Sage I used AV Bisharp on a team, can confirm while it's good for trapping Latias (it turns guaranteed 2hkos into 3hkos) it's pretty lackluster outside of it. Situational at best.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
This isn’t to talk about Bisharp because I think almost everything has already been said, but I just want to say that after looking at the voting reqs thread and from my own experiences that I think the requirements for this suspect were pretty much spot on. I know they’re not hugely different from the Venusaur suspect but I think it’s a good game amount and a nicely set skill bar, in that it’s not just an elite few getting reqs but it still demands a good record (more than 3 wins per loss). Definitely prefer the laddering on the current uu ladder as opposed to a fresh one as was also introduced with the Venu suspect too so good job to whoever has been making these calls, I like it a lot! :psyglad:

Earned the reqs on day 3 itself.
I started the ladder by using an old team w/o any dedicated checks to bish and honestly it worked out really well for me.
So imo it doesnt warrant a ban at all as it's not a mon that u can't handle w/o putting like 2 mons in the team to counter.

Now that the Bisharp suspect is done, I wanted to share and hear out your thoughts about Drought and about Houndoom.
When Drought got quickbanned due to Houndoom, the meta back in January was very different as it currently is: Kommo-o's usage spiked up consistently from back then, being able to eat a Fire Blast-boosted attack with somewhat ease and kill it back; Scarf Hydra is as good as ever and can eat a Fire Blast and revenge kill. Spikes being a lot more common now make it very easy to worn down due to Solar Power chip wearing it down and making it unable to constantly deal damage. Its speed tier while very good still makes it able to be revenge killed easily by common 'mons like Zeraora, Aero, Mane, +1 Mega Shark and the most common scarfers. While it may very well run Fire Charge and drop Sludge Bomb, but if so it gets handles pretty easily by Mega Altaria and Primarina, Rest Talk especially, all of which can take a sun-boosted Fire Blast and retaliate back. Luke and NP Nape are now common sights on teams and are able to revenge kill it easily. Sun teams in general are really hampered by the fact that there are no great sun abusers as it currently stands. The most remarkable sun abuser is Venu which is not great to say the least,as it is, again, walled by Kommo-o, Lati can take even two Life Orb hits and retaliate back with Psychic, Empoleon can 1vs1 it if it starts to run Ice Beam and it's not hard to revenge kill due to common found priority like Scizor's BP or Bisharp's Sucker Punch. It being forced to run Timid to outspeed Scarf Hydra and Krook severely hampers its damage output too.

I'm not saying that the meta would be unphazed by its reintroduction, I'm looking at stall in particular, but a lot of recent and less than recent meta developments made in my very modest opinion Drought at least worthy of a suspect test.

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Flame Charge

I strongly disagree with an eventual Suspect Test of Drought. Houndoom-Mega is nearly impossible to handle for both Offense and Stall if Sun is up. The only thing that make Houndoom-Mega not broken in the current metagame is because Drought is banned. Because of that, people need to use Pokemon with Sunny Day which is much easier to deal with thanks to Pokemon like Hippowdon. If Drough is unbanned, Houndoom-Mega gain a lot of Momentum and becomes able to threaten the whole tier while being nearly impossible to Revenge Kill thanks to Flame Charge which gives it +1 in Speed (it's not a gimmick move, when Drought and Houndoom-Mega were both UU ; Nasty Plot + Flame Charge + STABs was Houndoom-Mega's best set). It's typing might not be the best, it gives it useful resistances to most of priorities in Underused : Sucker Punch, Ice Shard, Bullet Punch etc... Btw under the sun, Houndoom-Mega doesn't give a fuck about coverage because Fire Blast under the Sun with Solar Power obliteras everything even resistances.. Also Ninetales is a formidable Wallbreaker thanks to Drought, Nasty Plot and Firium Z which means it can break or weaken on its own opponent's team which helps in the Late Game its teammates (like Houndoom-Mega, Venusaur etc...). Sun Team were awful when they were allowed in Underused, they were such a low risk, high rewards archetype. I definitively don't want to see that again..

Calcs :

• +2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Primarina in Sun: 376-443 (103.5 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
• +2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Altaria-Mega in Sun: 405-477 (114.7 - 135.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
• +2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o in Sun: 409-482 (115.8 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
•+2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Sun: 657-774 (92 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
• +2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 40 HP / 216 SpD Alomomola in Sun: 558-657 (116 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

They said it was "resisted" :psycry::psycry::psycry:

Last edited:
Moute pretty much summed up everything that makes Doom too much with sun but we also forget one thing: That sun was banned on account of the conglomerate. Not just one mon. Sabbio noted how Offense could handle Doom with a lot of faster mons, and honestly, that's true. But Doom was never the offense breaker of the Sun squad. That title, went to regular Venusaur. It's speed was too blazing fast for most offenses to handle, even with a revenge killer. And it needed one growth (Sometimes 0 depending on how frail an offense you were facing) to just clean up. What made the sun conglomerate so scary was that you had fantastic matchups across the board at seemingly all times. Venu broke anything that tried to stop you with speed, and Doom broke anything that tried to stop you with bulk. That's what made sun so good, it had a way to circumvent almost every archetype in some way or another in just 2 slots. (3 if you count the sun setter itself) And that's what made full sun with drought so absurdly oppressive. And it's for this reason I'd be against a sun retest.

Last edited:
Houndoom-Mega is nearly impossible to handle for both Offense and Stall if Sun is up. The only thing that make Houndoom-Mega not broken in the current metagame is because Drought is banned. Because of that, people need to use Pokemon with Sunny Day which is much easier to deal with thanks to Pokemon like Hippowdon. If Drough is unbanned, Houndoom-Mega gain a lot of Momentum and becomes able to threaten the whole tier while being nearly impossible to Revenge Kill thanks to Flame Charge which gives it +1 in Speed (it's not a gimmick move, when Drought and Houndoom-Mega were both UU ; Nasty Plot + Flame Charge + STABs was Houndoom-Mega's best set)
The problem of your argument is that you're saying that a +2 SpAtk and a +1 Speed Mega Doom in sun is impossible to wall or revenge kill. While not exactly true as Vacuum Wave users like Infernape and Lucario exist, while also as being a mon that gets severely worn down over the course of a match due to hazard damage and Solar Power, your point from how I see it is like saying that a +6 Kommo-o has no counters and should therefore be banned. This is a pretty specific condition to be met.

Flame Charge against hyper offense: while on paper is surely is a threat and de facto very few 'mons on ho are able to withstand a Sun Boosted attack, common priority moves like Crawdaunt's Jet and others can threaten Doom out and force it to take rocks, oftentimes Spikes and at least 1/8 of HP due to Solar Power. This means that after that it can come in another time at best. HO is able to adapt to it by running Prima (which is not uncommon already), Kommoo, Luke/Nape, QA Scizor and others like Sash Terrakion, all of which are already used too.

Flame Charge + Nasty Plot against offense: first of all, while its bulk is respectable, the problem remains the same: Doom is weak to every form of hazard and its not bulky enough nor often has the amount of HP to withstand a hit and Nasty Plot up. Nothing takes a +2 hit in the sun it's true but again, a lot of conditions need to be met for this to happen, let alone Flame Charge + Nasty Plot. If it decides to Nasty Plot up then Hydra revenges, Krook clicks Pursuit (Pursuit does 22% min if Houndoom switches out, considering Rocks + Solar Power just by coming in Doom loses already 25 + 12,5 = 37,5% HP, after Pursuit a min roll gets it to 59,5%, meaning that it can come in just once again in the field; considering how spikes are common now it means that it comes only once since sr + a spike + solar power brings it to 49,5% HP already) and other scarfers like Latias or the less common Infernape can revenge. You don't even need scarfers to outspeed it as Aero, Zera and Mane make short work if it pretty quickly.
If it decides to just Flame Charge up on a low percentage mon then its not as offensively threatening (I'm not saying that it isn't because it's one heck of a threat) and it's able to be revenge killed by Hydra, Altaria, Primarina and mons like Florges after Hazards and Solar Power to name a few. If it doesn't straight up OHKO the opponent then Doom will end up dying in the process.

Nasty Plot against balance/stall: I've bored you enough and I'll stop repeating myself, but the point stays that its too frail even for stall. For example: Turn 1) Ninetails sets up sun against a Blissey lead. Ideally Blissey sets up Rocks and Ninetails switches out into Mega Doom. Doom loses 12,5% hp. Turn 2) it sets up against blissey. Blissey clicks Seismic toss and Doom loses 100 Hp. Takes another round of solar power. Doom is at 119 HP. Turn 3) Doom hits Fire Blast and kills Blissey. Takes solar power damage, Doom has now 83 HP. Turn 4) Aero/Krook comes in and revenges. It can't switch out or it would take rocks damage. Pursuit + Solar Power kills anyway. Doom has killed Blissey and maybe the trapper.
Doesn't really sound impossible, though stall would need to run trappers which isn't absolutely unheard of.
Same thing with Alomomola. Houndoom comes (ideally on a double) in on rocks, takes sp damage + rocks. Scald on the NP. solar power damage. Protect on the Dark Pulse. Damaged again. Blissey gets sacked. Damaged again. Trapper/Faster mon comes in, Doom is dead and can't come in again after rocks. Now you have a team made of Ninetails, Klefki/Whimsicott, HW Lati, Venu + 1 mon. Good luck breaking through.

Ninetales is a formidable Wallbreaker thanks to Drought, Nasty Plot and Firium Z which means it can break or weaken on its own opponent's team which helps in the Late Game its teammates (like Houndoom-Mega, Venusaur etc...)
While true that Firium Z Ninetails + Houndoom is a very good core if Drought ends up banned, the problem would be that not running heat rock on Ninetails means that you only have little turns of Sun available, which severely hampers Doom's breaking power.

---

Doom was never the offense breaker of the Sun squad. That title, went to regular Venusaur. It's speed was too blazing fast for most offenses to handle, even with a revenge killer. And it needed one growth (Sometimes 0 depending on how frail an offense you were facing) to just clean up. What made the sun conglomerate so scary was that you had fantastic matchups across the board at seemingly all times. Venu broke anything that tried to stop you with speed, and Doom broke anything that tried to stop you with bulk.
Venu needs Timid to outspeed a lot of scarfers, which doesn't make it as hard to wall. Kommo-o, Lati, Rotom-H, Moltres, Aggron even can stomach a hit and kill Venu back. While it's true that it softens Houndoom's checks, its still susceptible to priority + life orb recoil, which means that it won't stick around for long throughout the match.

skvettleif

Banned deucer.
The problem of your argument is that you're saying that a +2 SpAtk and a +1 Speed Mega Doom in sun is impossible to wall or revenge kill. While not exactly true as Vacuum Wave users like Infernape and Lucario exist, while also as being a mon that gets severely worn down over the course of a match due to hazard damage and Solar Power, your point from how I see it is like saying that a +6 Kommo-o has no counters and should therefore be banned. This is a pretty specific condition to be met.

Flame Charge against hyper offense: while on paper is surely is a threat and de facto very few 'mons on ho are able to withstand a Sun Boosted attack, common priority moves like Crawdaunt's Jet and others can threaten Doom out and force it to take rocks, oftentimes Spikes and at least 1/8 of HP due to Solar Power. This means that after that it can come in another time at best. HO is able to adapt to it by running Prima (which is not uncommon already), Kommoo, Luke/Nape, QA Scizor and others like Sash Terrakion, all of which are already used too.

Flame Charge + Nasty Plot against offense: first of all, while its bulk is respectable, the problem remains the same: Doom is weak to every form of hazard and its not bulky enough nor often has the amount of HP to withstand a hit and Nasty Plot up. Nothing takes a +2 hit in the sun it's true but again, a lot of conditions need to be met for this to happen, let alone Flame Charge + Nasty Plot. If it decides to Nasty Plot up then Hydra revenges, Krook clicks Pursuit (Pursuit does 22% min if Houndoom switches out, considering Rocks + Solar Power just by coming in Doom loses already 25 + 12,5 = 37,5% HP, after Pursuit a min roll gets it to 59,5%, meaning that it can come in just once again in the field; considering how spikes are common now it means that it comes only once since sr + a spike + solar power brings it to 49,5% HP already) and other scarfers like Latias or the less common Infernape can revenge. You don't even need scarfers to outspeed it as Aero, Zera and Mane make short work if it pretty quickly.
If it decides to just Flame Charge up on a low percentage mon then its not as offensively threatening (I'm not saying that it isn't because it's one heck of a threat) and it's able to be revenge killed by Hydra, Altaria, Primarina and mons like Florges after Hazards and Solar Power to name a few. If it doesn't straight up OHKO the opponent then Doom will end up dying in the process.

Nasty Plot against balance/stall: I've bored you enough and I'll stop repeating myself, but the point stays that its too frail even for stall. For example: Turn 1) Ninetails sets up sun against a Blissey lead. Ideally Blissey sets up Rocks and Ninetails switches out into Mega Doom. Doom loses 12,5% hp. Turn 2) it sets up against blissey. Blissey clicks Seismic toss and Doom loses 100 Hp. Takes another round of solar power. Doom is at 119 HP. Turn 3) Doom hits Fire Blast and kills Blissey. Takes solar power damage, Doom has now 83 HP. Turn 4) Aero/Krook comes in and revenges. It can't switch out or it would take rocks damage. Pursuit + Solar Power kills anyway. Doom has killed Blissey and maybe the trapper.
Doesn't really sound impossible, though stall would need to run trappers which isn't absolutely unheard of.
Same thing with Alomomola. Houndoom comes (ideally on a double) in on rocks, takes sp damage + rocks. Scald on the NP. solar power damage. Protect on the Dark Pulse. Damaged again. Blissey gets sacked. Damaged again. Trapper/Faster mon comes in, Doom is dead and can't come in again after rocks. Now you have a team made of Ninetails, Klefki/Whimsicott, HW Lati, Venu + 1 mon. Good luck breaking through.

While true that Firium Z Ninetails + Houndoom is a very good core if Drought ends up banned, the problem would be that not running heat rock on Ninetails means that you only have little turns of Sun available, which severely hampers Doom's breaking power.

---

Venu needs Timid to outspeed a lot of scarfers, which doesn't make it as hard to wall. Kommo-o, Lati, Rotom-H, Moltres, Aggron even can stomach a hit and kill Venu back. While it's true that it softens Houndoom's checks, its still susceptible to priority + life orb recoil, which means that it won't stick around for long throughout the match.
If u play houndoom well vs stall you dont need to take stoss damage. Lets say you run solar beam over flame charge, which I used to do. You can ohko alomomola. So either they switch to blissey as you NP or they die to solarbeam depending on whether you predict right ofc. The revenge killer argument isnt very strong either since Houndoom is decently bulky and resists pursuit. Basically the whole MU turns into a bunch of 50/50s that are in the Houndoom users favour since stall is usually played more conservatively.

---

Moute pretty much summed up everything that makes Doom too much with sun but we also forget one thing: That sun was banned on account of the conglomerate. Not just one mon. Sabbio noted how Offense could handle Doom with a lot of faster mons, and honestly, that's true. But Doom was never the offense breaker of the Sun squad. That title, went to regular Venusaur. It's speed was too blazing fast for most offenses to handle, even with a revenge killer. And it needed one growth (Sometimes 0 depending on how frail an offense you were facing) to just clean up. What made the sun conglomerate so scary was that you had fantastic matchups across the board at seemingly all times. Venu broke anything that tried to stop you with speed, and Doom broke anything that tried to stop you with bulk. That's what made sun so good, it had a way to circumvent almost every archetype in some way or another in just 2 slots. (3 if you count the sun setter itself) And that's what made full sun with drought so absurdly oppressive. And it's for this reason I'd be against a sun retest.
I see what you're both saying and both points stand strong. However, I would agree more with Rose on this one. Sun boosted fire blasts 2HKO everything unboosted and OHKO everything at +2. But if Fire blast doesn't quite do the trick, then dark pulse will finish everything off. And thats just Houndoom. Venusaur, though not as much as a problem as Houndoom imo, is still quite annoying to kill in the sun unless you're running Latias, which not every team does. Although the Ninetails thing doesn't really apply considering it has to run heat rock for sun teams, It is also still kinda annoying to switch into considering Solar Beam. Overall, Sun would be over-centralizing and not fun to play against ever.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
While it’s great to see some discussion in here, as we haven’t had any for a while, I think suspecting Drought is wholly unnecessary and to me would represent a step back in UU tiering. We actually went through this whole loop of is Drought or Houndoom the issue when we realised that having them both in the tier was a problem (I still think it definitely would be) and we ended up banning Houndoom first, then Drought to bring it more into line with previous examples of tiering. I do not think having them both in the tier is ever going to be healthy.

I think the current UU tier is in the best shape it can be with the pokemon we have available to make up the tier in that I don’t think anything that’s banned is wrongfully in UUBL, and there’s nothing in UU right now that I think should be in UUBL. I genuinely don’t think any changes that are within the scope of the council could improve the tier we have currently, a whole bunch of playstyles are viable and there’s enough diversity to the point where you’re rarely seeing the same pokemon every single game, even though as with any tier there’s high usage staples. Imo this tier should stay untouched until we see what the next set of shifts brings because I think it’s pretty damn good right now.

Last edited:
The problem of your argument is that you're saying that a +2 SpAtk and a +1 Speed Mega Doom in sun is impossible to wall or revenge kill.
You misunderstood my point.
Nasty Plot + Flame Charge Houndoom-Mega is a Pokemon that can pressure both Offense and Stall.
In short, if you're facing an offensive team, you will probably never need Nasty Plot because Fire Blast / Dark Pulse + Solar Power on its own can pressure as fuck Pokemon in this kind of archetype. On this other hand, if Houndoom-Mega is vs smth fat you just have to click Nasty Plot once and then proceed to break through the opponent's team.

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Houndoom-Mega in Sun: 148-176 (50.8 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Solar Power damage
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Houndoom-Mega: 103-121 (35.3 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Solar Power damage
252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Houndoom-Mega: 174-205 (59.7 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Infernape Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Houndoom-Mega: 122-146 (41.9 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

As you can see, Houndoom-Mega can take those attacks "kinda well". Obviously Spikes / Stealth Rocks are a pain for it but we're not talking about Houndoom-Mega vs 6 Pokemon, we're talking about a squad which is prepared to support Houndoom-Mega which means that you will have smth to deal with Hazards, something to take priorities that Houndoom-Mega can't handle on its own. The main problem with Drought + Houndoom-Mega is that it's really easy to build around and it gives you a really good MU vs every kind of MU.

Your gameplan isn't good at all.

Turn 1 : Ninetales doesn't give a fuck about Blissey and just gonna Nasty Plot on it and then Turn 2 :

+2 252 SpA Ninetales Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Sun: 508-598 (71.1 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Same thing for Alomomola which is probably one of the worst Pokemon vs Ninetales :

0 SpA Alomomola Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales in Sun: 42-50 (14.6 - 17.4%) -- possible 6HKO
0- Atk Alomomola Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Ninetales: 42-50 (14.6 - 17.4%) -- possible 6HKO

+2 252 SpA Ninetales Solar Beam vs. 40 HP / 216 SpD Alomomola: 498-588 (103.5 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Stall can not handle Ninetales + Houndoom-Mega. This is not a supposition, it's a fact. You can try to stall out the Sun but in the end you're screwed.

This is wrong too. Firium Z Ninetales is 100% better than Heat Rock variant because it helps much more Houndoom-Mega than just a few turns of Sun more.

I would rather see Alakazam re-suspected than drought, although this is my personal opinion and not a reflection of the council as a whole.
I agree to an extent. I would rather be behind an Alakazam re-suspect then something like Drought.

skvettleif

Banned deucer.
Id like to bring up something that has been bothering me for a long time. This is going to be a long post as I am pretty adamant about this, and I dont see myself continuing playing this tier competitively anymore as long as this «problem» still exists in the tier. The problem I am refering to is none other than the face of stall, the big fat pink blob ofc. In this post Im going to do my best to make the case that Blissey is extremely unhealthy for the tier.

First off, making the case that Blissey is broken is certainly harder than doing so for other threats that we have banned before. Typically defensive mons arent banned as its seldom as obvious they are problematic. Arguing that offensive powerhouses are too good is usually pretty easy. Usually it goes along the lines of «it has no counters» and «hard to revenge kill». When you try to make the case that a defensive pokemon is too good obviously you have to attack it from a different angle. What constitutes a broken «defensive» pokemon? Its hard to answer really. If it walls 90% of the tier its obviously broken. But you would have to have Ferrothorn down in PU for that to be a realistic scenario. To make the argument that Blissey is too good you have to look at what it does for the stall archetype, because that is where it shines. Before I get to that Id like to adress the negative aspects of using Blissey, and why I ultimately dont think they matter in the slightest under the right cirumstances.

Blissey is as everyone knows slow, weak and a complete momentum suck. If youre building a team and just slap Blissey on there its probably going to be terrible. While it provides a guaranteed switch in to nearly every special attacker in the tier, it also invites in very powerful physical attackers, hazard setters etc without any way to apply any sort of meaningful pressure to the opponents team. This admittedly sounds terrible. It is by no means splashable. Which is why its not super high up on the viablity rankings. Which makes sense. However, when you are using stall, none of these things matter much. On stall all of your mons are momentum sucks. Stall doesnt rely on momentum at all. The playstyle is all about staying around until the opponents team is worn down enough until defeat is inevitable. What Blissey brings to these kinds of teams is extremely valuable. Whereas on other teams you have to account for type effectiveness when trying to check different type of threats, Blissey with its enourmous special bulk and neutrality to every type except fighting (a type in which special attackers are severely lacking anyway) covers too much of the metagame to the point that any stall team not using Blissey will always be worse than stall teams that do.
This is by no means controversial as you generally never see stall teams without Blissey. Now, is this a problem in itself? Surely just because something is used on 100% of one type of team doesnt automaticly make it broken. Sharpedo is also the face of HO, and that isnt broken. Yes, thats true. But you can make very good HO voltturn teams with lets say Manectric>Sharpedo aswell. Sharpedo doesnt outsclass manectric in any way. If you opt for something like sp def sylveon or umberon instead of blissey you are objectively worse off in 99% of MUs.

Ok so Blissey is too valuable to pass up when using stall. But what specifically makes it too good? In order for me to make a case for this I have to talk about the typical teammates used together with Blissey aswell. This might be frowned upon, but as I said earlier, in order to argue that a defensive mon is broken you have to look at it from a very different angle than when looking at offensive threats. The cookie cutter stall team has Blissey/alomomola/quagsire and then 3 other pokemon to counter the rest of the metagame. These work so Incredibly well together its not even funny. Blissey takes care of all sp attackers bar dedicated stallbreakers, alomomola takes on all non setup physical attackers except from a those with favorable typing’s (grass/electric) like Zeraora or Tsareena, and Quagsire takes care of the physical attackers that try to setup with swords dance. Just with these three you have covered a huge amount of the metagame and it is left to the rest of the three other members to cover the aforementioned stallbreakers, hazard setters, grass types etc. Obviuously im not saying you have to use quag and alo. You have other options like pyukumuku and slowbro, but the result is the same. One insanely bulky water and one unaware user. Blissey ofc is always there tho. In order to break the problem down and make the it more concrete im going to present a to you the following stall team:

Blissey/Quagsire/Alomomola/Mega altaria/Scizor/Nihilego

This team has been Pif aka Pokemonisfuns go to team as he made his recent return to the UU ladder after a long hiatus. Now for my next point lets move down the viablity rankings and list all the offensive pokemon that have any sort of chance of breaking through this team:
LO mix Hydreigon, SD fight z Terrakion, NP Lucario, Mix LO kommo-o, SP Nidoking, sub CM chandelure, Decidueye, Haxorus.

Maybe if you look very hard you can find a couple more. Now if you sigle out the ones that are somewhat splashable and see consistent usage (talking about the mon + the actual set here, not just the mon) the list narrowes down to:
Terrakion, Lucario, Hydreigon, Kommo-o.

If you also consider the fact that you have to support these pokemon really well in the stall MU as you dont want to just throw them nillywilly into toxic and whatnot, you need mons that can consistently switch into blissey and alomomola. As they are the pokemon on stall that typically come in the most and thow out toxics and knock offs here and there.
Believe me when I say this makes building offense a true nightmare. Any cool idea you might come up with that you wanna try. If you want the team to be able to beat good stall players. You can just forget it 90% of the time. This is what has lead most ladder players to stick their heads in the sand often completely neglect the stall MU. Which again leads to stuff like this:
brokenStall.png

Now to my last point. If we look at tournaments none of these infamous stall players on the ladder have exemplary track records. Surely if Blissey was broken, someone like pif would just plow though all his opponents and grab every trophy. Well, it’s not that easy. If you are known for using stall, word is obviously going to get around. Your teams have probably been seen a thousand times, because let’s face it, there are only so many different stall teams you can make. Creativity isnt excactly the cornerstone of the playstyle. Sooner or later someone like pif is going to face that one guy who has his coveted «pif antistall» team ready for action. And here we get to the bottom of why I think Blissey is so unhealthy for this tier. When good players using stall builds with blissey achieve 96% gxe on the ladder, and tour players build 80% of their teams not giving a shit about the stall MU, but instead load up their antistall when they are facing someone known for being able to use stall, then that atleast in my eyes makes it very clear that Blissey is unhealthy.
To prove my point, that counterteaming is the most used method of beating stall, Im now going to list some teams posted by highly regarded users from the thread “sample teams” and some teams from UU majors finals in order to show how even top tour players choose to gamble with match up and neglect that their team loses to Blissey in team preview.
Im going to look at how all these teams fare vs PIFs team as it is the only stallteam I know well atm that does well in the current meta.

PIFs antistall: Blissey/Alomomola/Quagsire/Scizor/Nihilego/Altaria-Mega

First im going to look at the teams used in UU majors finals:

(Edion majors finals r1) : Crawdaunt/Klefki/Gligar/Latias/Manectric/Tentacruel

Ok so this is the first one. Not a single pokemon on Edion team is able to break through PIFs stall by a longshot. I guess he thought banded daunt would suffice as antistall measures but that aint doing shit to max def Altaria. Too bad. Klefki spikes are always instantly removed by scizor and so are gligar rocks. Win = impossible

(Edion majors finals r2): Suicune/Moltres/Blastoise/Diancie/Krookodile/Scizor

In this one he really didn’t give a shit. No variant of suicune is stalling out AloBlissQuag etc ever. The rest of the mons just simply cant do anything.

(Harris majors finals r2): Hippowdown/Empoleon/Aerodactyl/Scizor/Latias/Bewear

Harris brought a reuniclus r1. If it was energy ball it could have 6-0ed PIF stall. I suppose he was fearing Edion would bring stall. G2 however he felt like he couldt screw around with niche stallbreakers anymore though and went with a team that, while not completely helpless, almost guaranteed loses vs stall. SD bewear can never break a well played quag and the rest of the team except empoleon are just stall fodder.

Now to the sample teams thread:

(Sample team aim HO): Crawdaunt/Azelf/Manectric/Starmie/Scizor/Mamoswine

Complete food for PIFs GXE. Do I even need to say anything. Every mon is sashed. The breaking power is nonexistent.

(Sample team adaam HO): Bisharp/frosslass/doublade/latias/sharpedo/Kommo-o

If you are under the Impression mixed taunt Kommo-o singlehandedly beats stall you are wrong. This team is also completely helpless vs any good stall team.

(sample team vivalospride BO): Beedrill/Kommo-o/Rotom-H/Doublade/Krookodile/Primarina

Again, even though these builders seem to think slapping taunt kommo-o makes the stall MU winnable it doesn’t. This one admittedly fares better since it has some support in tspikes and a voltturn core, but if this team were to win vs a well played stall it would be close to a miracle.

If im wrong and Blissey/stall isnt too hard to prep for. Why do all these teams do so poorly vs Blissey. Surely these teams wouldnt be used in UU majors finals or posted in sample teams if they were 6-0ed by Sharpedo HO. Why its it then ok to neglect the stall MU?

Here is a fun little replay between pasy_g and shiba (from snake I think?): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-398082
Here Shiba is down 1-5 and wins with Blissey. Again goes to show pasy_g thought his bewear would be his savior vs stall, but he ended up being 6-0ed by Blissey alone on a Balance build.

Now for my last point lets look at PIFs Grand slam matches vs Adaam:
These players know each other very well btw. So adaam is fully aware PIF is a menace with stall

G1: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-386466
Here both players brought Blissey. Not gonna comment this

G2: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-386478
PIF won G1 and brings the same stall team G2. Adaam is smart though and he has his antistall ready. He knows exactly what he is up against and brings CB Terrakion with rest (lol) and future sight slowbro. Adaam is a good player and the MU is actually in his favor this match, although PIF can certainly win if he plays better. In the end adaam wins.

G3: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-386479
PIF steps out of his comfort zone, brings offense and is almost 6-0ed.

Now that concludes this insanely long post. I hope no one mentioned here gets offended by this. I have not been trying to step on any toes. With this im trying to create a discussion on the matter. I know this is very controversial, which is why ive done my best to argue my case in the best way possible. I think UU is a really, really fun tier, but I cant bring myself to play anymore tours with Blissey in the tier. This probably stems from having both my Grand slam runs being cut short my stall players so there might be some bias involved here. Ill be the first one to admit that. But I still believe my arguments are solid, and Im hoping we can have a constructive debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)