Project NU Archetype Cores: Discuss Your Experiences! (HIATUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Actually I'll just close this now since it's pretty obvious that PrinceLucian is the winner! Electivire + Scarf Rotom is a potent core that can deal with both bulky and offensive teams, while Garbodor provides Spikes support so that they can make the most out of repeated Volt Switches while also breaking through Mega Audino.

The theme this week is
; Rock and Ground are a very solid offensive combination, while Grass-types can deal with Water- and Grass-type attacks aimed at their teammates and fills some gaps in the coverage. The deadline for submissions this week will be Saturday 11th June at 12:00 GMT as usual. Here's your list of mons.
Abomasnow, Cacturne, Cradily, Exeggutor, Ferroseed, Gogoat, Gourgeist-S, Gourgeist-XL, Jumpluff, Leafeon, Leavanny, Lilligant, Ludicolo, Roselia, Sawsbuck, Shiftry, Torterra, Victreebel, Vileplume
Aggron, Archeops, Aurorus, Barbaracle, Carracosta, Cradily, Crustle, Golem, Kabutops, Omastar, Probopass, Rampardos, Regirock, Relicanth, Rhydon
Camerupt, Claydol, Gastrodon, Golem, Golurk, Marowak, Piloswine, Rhydon, Sandslash, Steelix, Torterra

Last edited:
+
+

Cool little core around Shell Smash Barbaracle. Jumpluff sets foes to sleep, offensively threatens the fighting types that plague this core and can grab momentum with U-Turn, prepare a Barbaracle sweep with Memento or damage water types with Seed Bomb, depending on the preferences of the user and the rest of the team. Steelix sets rocks and switches into electric attacks that otherwise plague this core and lures fire types. It can also Toxic certain walls Barb struggles with or roar out set up sweepers. Barbaracle does what it does best: punch things until they die. Again, the set is preference, personally I have had a lot of sucess with the SubLefties set recently, but each has their merits. Again, it mostly depends on the structure of the rest of the team. This is one thing that makes this core so beautiful: you can easily adjust the movesets to fit on a plethora of teams.

Edit: I just realized Jumpluff isn't on the list of grass pokemon, but since Relicanth and Marowak are listed at their respective types, I assume this is just an oversight, since Jumpluff does at least equally well/badly in NU.

Jumpluff
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Memento / Seed Bomb
- U-turn / Seed Bomb

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Roar

Barbaracle @ Shuca Berry / White Herb / Leftovers
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Return
- Earthquake / Substitute

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff

The idea here is that Aurorus can generally switch into mons like Weezing, Skuntank and Xatu, which would hope to deal with Lilligant, while wearing down most of its other checks, such as Magmortar, paving the way for a Lilligant sweep. Claydol can deal with Hariyama, which would attempt to beat Aurorus, and provides hazard control to help the core pivot effectively. The core isn't perfect, and really appreciates volt-turn support to effectively get Aurorus in, in addition to a better fighting check, and a proper fire check, but it can be effective at wall breaking, and cleaning.
Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Psychic

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Rapid Spin

Lilligant @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Sobi

Banned deucer.

This is a core I've been playing around with in the past few days, and it revolves around spamming Acrobatics as much as possible to weaken the opponent's Pokemon, paving the way for a teammate to clean late-game. Archeops and Jumpluff both apply a lot of pressure onto the opponent, the former hitting extremely hard thanks to its base 140 Attack stat, and the latter being able to put the foe to sleep with Sleep Powder, creating an opportunity for a teammate to set up and sweep. Jumpluff also offers Memento support for its teammates, allowing the to pull off a more successful sweep, while generating momentum with U-turn. The sets for both of them are pretty much standard, although Hidden Power Grass is used on Archeops to hit the Water- and Grass-types Claydol usually struggles with. Claydol is the icing on the cake, providing much-appreciated hazard support for Jumpluff and Archeops, as Stealth Rock greatly affects the amount of times they can switch in, and both can get worn down very easily by constant U-turn'ing in and out of the field. Claydol also provides an Electric immunity for Archeops, as well as a handy Rock resistance, making this core work very well together.
Claydol @ Soft Sand
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Memento
- U-turn

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Last edited:

Aggron is super intimidating, Choice Banded Head Smashes just wrecks shit, however, Agg struggles with bulky Ground and Water types, which is where Ludicolo comes in, wrecking them with its unique Water/Grass typing and coverage. Plus, Ludicolo can take full advantage of Aggron's wallbreaking capabilities, becoming a great late-game sweeper with Rain Dance once all of the opposing mons have been weakened. From here, this core is weak to strong Fire and Electric attackers, like Magmortar and Manectric, and thus I added Camerupt. Only only does Camerupt give us a Fire resist and Electric immunity, it also provides Stealth Rock, weakening switch ins even more. Overall, a cute core designed to destroy defensive-based teams..

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid / Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Rain Dance

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic / Stone Edge

Barbaracle_XY.gif sawsbuck-autumn.gif giphy.gif While most people sets tend to use a grass type as a defense against water, I decided to use a baton pass swords dance sawsbuck. It doesnt seem threatening but packs a deadly punch, can outspeed most other pokemon, and can even take a physical hit. The first move is supposed to be a swords dance off the bat to guarantee either a successful baton pass or KO depending on the opponents mon. I used barbaracle to bait opponents into using their defensive grass type attack against it to give sawbuck the +1 sap sipper. In addition, it is threatening to rock and ground types, fire types, and even electric types if it sets up a shell smash. Lastly, I realized that both Sawbuck and Barabaracle share 2 common weaknesses, Fighting and Ghost. Sawsbuck's return is its best weapon which fails against ghost (gougeist) and barbaracle couldn't stand to go up against gourgeist. If there were a mon with a fighting move, both sawsbuck and barbaracle would be left wide open. I threw on golurk to hard counter both gourgeist and any fighting moves. While it makes my team weaker to ice types, Golurk's LO Iron Fist combo plus his already high physical attack and drain punch could ensure he knock's out ice type mons and restores his health. He can receive Sawsbuck's BP and use rock polish to be a DD Lurk and sweep the other team away. Thunder punch makes sure there will be no water types to creep on him with either ice beam or scald. Lastly, Shadow Punch STAB plus Life Orb boost plus Iron Fist boost means he can kill any psychic or ghost type like gourgeist.

Sawsbuck @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Horn Leech
- Baton Pass

Barbaracle @ White Herb
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Golurk @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Rock Polish
- Thunder Punch
- Shadow Punch

Last edited:

Here is a core I used in a balanced team. Gastro definitely is a great mon in the tier, acting like a Rock, Normal and Water check. I'm using here the classiest set in the world. Scald is a magic move, Toxic is a magic move, Earthquake hits Magmortar and Lanturn harder than Earth Power, and Recover for... the recovery I guess. BulkyCheops act like a decent fire check, and eventually like a Defoger if you want one. Taunt can break stuffs like Wish M-Audino or preventing Defog from Skuntank. Finally, the star of this core. The SD set is my favourite on Shiftry. Lum Berry seems to be the best item, but Dread Plate or Life Orb are viable if you have a Cleric.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Archeops
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive / Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- Earth Power / Defog

Shiftry @ Lum Berry / Dread Plate / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

(sidenote but why Vileplume so pissed in this sprite)
I use this core on a balance team of mine that focuses around winning with Omastar late game. Vileplume's solid bulk, typing, and access to recovery and Sleep Powder allow it to be a resilient pivot into the Fighting, Grass, and Electric (only for Omastar) type attacks aimed at Piloswine and Omastar. Vileplume also absorbs the various powders and Toxics that fly across the tier from Pokemon such as Lilligant and Lanturn, as well as absorbing Toxic Spikes. Piloswine hits Pokemon surprisingly hard and sets up Stealth Rock. The EVs outspeed everything slower than uninvested base 70 Speed, and 88 HP lets it live LO Jynx's Focus Blast 90% of the time. Omastar functions as the late game Shell Smash sweeper, as with SR support from Piloswine and Sleep Powder (or Effect Spore) from Vileplume, it can very easily destroy teams later in the game. I opted for Shuca Berry bc none of these 3 Pokemon particularly enjoy taking a Ground-type attack despite not being weak to it and due to how omnipresent Earthquake is on a team. Surf > Hydro Pump since +2 Modest Surf p much destroys everything regardless, although +2 Modest Hydro Pump does get the nod for a cleaner 2HKO on AV Hariyama, Hariyama lacks recovery and pivots into enough attacks that more often than not it's in the 50% range needed for Surf to knock it out. Hidden Power [Electric] > Earth Power and Hidden Power [Grass] because the other 2 members deal with Lanturn rather handily, and Vileplume solos Gastrodon anyways.

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Omastar @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Archeops
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Roost

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

I've been using Gastro and Ferro for a while now and they form a really nice core together. I needed a Rock type and Archeops is just the best out there.
Sorry for this crap and rushed post ;-;

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PursuitOfHappiny is finishing off a submission I cut off by mistake! Please consider this set as well and adjust your votes if necessary. Apologies for the change of plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)