OM Mashup Megathread

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I wonder why venusaur-Mega comes out with tough claws. I understand that abilities don’t factor into this metagame, but it’s interesting how it changes it from thick fat to tough claws on each instance of your team.

What could you say is a counter to your team? When establishing great metagame threats/standards, this is where we can establish great metagame counters (or at least checks)/anti-metagame standards.
Would you like to say what gave you the most trouble, or hypothetically what would give you the most trouble if someone hasn’t thought of a potential Pokémon / set that stops your team?

For example, I see you have MMX and Venusaur because you can stop Gyarados-Mega and not be weak to Beedrill-Mega, but what about Aerodactyl-Mega which can use Flying moves and Speed ties with Zam for the Substitute set up and then Shell Smash.

Aerodactyl-Mega
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Def / 200 SpA / 200 SpD / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Drill Peck

Drill Peck is for Beedrill, Venusaur, Exeggutor(s), MMX, as Rock Slide doesn’t hit as many for Super Effective Damage (itself, Beedrill, and the odd Cloyster).

Does Gengar-Mega threaten your team (Hi Jump Kick recoil happens on Protect moves and when opponents switch in a Ghost Type, I.e. if it fails it hurts) and is 4x resistant to your MMX’s unSTABbed Mega Horn.

Gengar-Mega
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Def / 200 SpA / 200 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- Glitzy Glow
- Shadow Ball

Glitzy Gleam handles Special Attacks thanks to setting up a light screen to more than negate the Shell Smash Defensive drops, and hurts Poison types like Venusaur and Beedrill-Mega, while Shadow Ball is anti-meta for hurting itself, Zam, and Mewtwo-Megas.
1) Both Mega Venusaur used to be Mega Aerodactyl but I manually changed them using import/export. I didn't change its ability since it didn't matter.

2) From the battles I've seen, this team's biggest weakness comes from a Mega Venusaur or Mega Alakazam with Substitute. Since this metagame is incredibly bulky, it's surprisingly hard to break its sub with most moves right from the get go, and you can't lure it to sleep either. After it uses Spore, Shell Smashes, and Substitute it seems hard to get out of this trap. Sappy Seed against non Mega Venu does high amounts of damage in most cases after a boost and leeches Pokemon who manage to survive it. After two Shell Smashes it seems your own Venusaur would be unable to beat the other Venusaur and it carries on. An Exeggutor has potential to fix this problem by carrying Shell Smash and Glitzy Glow but it risks getting outspeed and KOed by a potential Sludge Bomb.

This is exactly the same case with Mega Alakazam except you use Spore by outspeeding the opponent. It also uses Glitzy Glow to do significant amounts of damage to Mega Venusaur that try to block Spore.

Here is a replay for when Sub was a problem

Realistically there I don't see much of a direct way to beat this team or Spore teams in general outside of Substitute and Speed ties as long as Sparkly Swirl is there.

Before I carried Sparkly Swirl, I had a problem with a team of Glare Mega Aerodactyl with Double Iron Bash. Tried it out. It doesn't seem to work as effectively if you're not carrying a team full of them.

Taunt has been a minor issue for me but I haven't suffered too much from it. In most cases, it just forces me to switch out and risk the foe using Spore, which Mega Venusaur can be a great help against, and a x2 Shell Smash half the time doesn't do enough to gather an OHKO so I would find myself able to attack or even Spore myself. (I'm not sure in the case of my own team but from other Venusaur I've seen this to be true. If it does OHKO my own you can give them a +SpD nature).

Mega Aerodactyl in itself is theoretically a minor threat until I lose about two speed ties and sleep for multiple turns. However as I mentioned, Substitute is the biggest issue I have put up against so far.

3) I don't think Mega Gengar threatens the team, especially with that set not having Sub. Mega Alakazam can outspeed it itself and use Glitzy Glow, Crunch Mega Mewtwo X speed ties it and can fend for itself if it wins the speed tie and sets up once, the Mega Venusaur can Spore it, use Shell Smash, and Leech off it. Even if one of them get KOed Sappy Seed after Sporing would either have the Gengar switch out, losing all of its stat boosts, or become knocked out. If the other Mega Mewtwo X is sent out, you'll have to hope to be able to win the speed tie, use Spore, and switch out without having Gar wake up on the first turn. Sometimes when I'm up against Pokemon that resist the attacks I use, this is what I do.

However despite all of this I think the main problem it has as a special attacker is its speed. 2/3rd of my team either outspeed or speed tie it, leaving Gar to potentially sacrifice itself in the game.

After testing some potential Inheritance Mashup with We Wuz Nidokangz, here are some things that we discovered :

We can only ban/unban pokemon as donors, and not the base.
Example: If we unbanned Xerneas, the result is you can only used Xerneas' ability and movepool, not Xerneas itself

Inheritance STABmon is possible but only from donors.
You can inherit a Pokemons's ability and movepool in addition of new moves, but not the base itself.

Example: Heatran inheriting from Hawlucha can get both Mach Punch and Dragon Ascent as additional move thanks to donor's typing, but Heatran can't used its Fire/Steel moves unless the donor can learn it too.

Inheritance AAA is not possible.
We can't really used any ability even if we used Ignore Illegal Abilities, unfortunately.

In conclusion, only donors were affected, and not the base.
Thank-you Roldski!

Inheritance uses the banlist in a very weird way in which it is applied for both base mons and donors, but is only open to modification in the donor case. This means unfortunately that unlike I first thought, Shedinja can't be enabled as a base to inherit Sturdy, for example, under any circumstances, but it can be allow to gift Wonder Guard if unbanned. Furthermore, Smeargle is a hardcoded ban as a donor.

Although Inheritance is a bit limited as a mashup base, as with Fortemons it can still support some interesting, if unintuitive mashups:-

Code:
/tour new [Gen 7] Inheritance,elimination,32,1
/tour autostart 10
/tour rules +Uber, +Arena Trap, +Power Construct, +Shadow Tag, +Baton Pass, +Blacephalon, +Cresselia, +Hoopa-Unbound, +Kartana, +Kyurem-Black, +Regigigas, +Shedinja, +Slaking, +Gyaradosite, +Huge Power, +Imposter, +Innards Out, +Pure Power, + Speed Boost, +Water Bubble, +Assist, +Chatter, +Shell Smash
/tour name [Gen 7] Inheritance Xtreme
This is like an 'Ubers' for Inheritance, or the closest thing possible on main. Most Ubers actually aren't that useful as donors without their BST and probably could be argued for unbans in the vanilla meta. Wonder Guard and the like perhaps should be banned, but everybody seemed to want to keep it, with Shedinja's lack of reliable recover making it more tame than PH, though it's much harder to have Mold Breaking moves as well.

Code:
/tour new [Gen 7] Inheritance,elimination,32,1
/tour autostart 10
/tour rules !Mega Rayquaza Clause, +Uber, +Arena Trap, +Power Construct, +Shadow Tag, +Baton Pass, +Blacephalon, +Cresselia, +Hoopa-Unbound, +Kartana, +Kyurem-Black, +Regigigas, +Shedinja, +Slaking, +Gyaradosite, +Huge Power, +Imposter, +Innards Out, +Pure Power, + Speed Boost, +Water Bubble, +Assist, +Chatter, +Shell Smash, !Moody Clause, !OHKO Clause, !Evasion Moves Clause, !Accuracy Moves Clause, !Swagger Clause, !Species Clause, !Sleep Clause Mod
/tour name [Gen 7] Inheritance Manythings Go
This is the Anything Goes variant of the meta (or at least as close as can be managed on main) with Baton Pass becoming a dominant strategy. By the way, the [[Donor Name]] volatiles get passed as well if BP is unbanned, but this is just a superficial bug and doesn't mean that you can/are inheriting from multiple Pokemon at once.

manu 11

When someone asks me if i am indian because of my name
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm pretty bad at explanations but I'm going to try explaining all of these changes.

RISES:
Regigigas: A -> A+
Truthfully I'm glad this one was pointed out by Disciple_1 because it's one of the very few Pokémon I felt weird about raising for the same reasons he had mentioned on his post. This change came from a reaction of raising both Alolan Muk and Mega Sableye to A before then. Despite not seeing too much Regigigas usage other than from my sample, and one other user, I felt Regigigas went above and beyond with its role as a Mold Breaker Pokémon, being able to imposterpoof itself too well and potentially forcing Prankster Haze to carry Safety Goggles. Noticing Mega Sableye and Alolan Muk's rise, I ended up believing this Pokémon had higher efficiency and deserved higher value than the Pokémon at A rank.

Muk-Alola: A- -> A
Sableye-Mega: A- -> A
These two follow the same reasoning. With their single weakness and their immunity to Photon Geyser, both Alolan Muk and Mega Sableye have proven to become standing figures in this metagame and are great contenders for a position as the best Wonder Guards. However their one glaring weakness is what prevents them from being any higher given how common these weaknesses are used, especially on Mega Mewtwo X.

Slowbro-Mega: A- -> A
Mega Slowbro is able to fully take on many Huge Power Mega Mewtwo X users with its raw defense stat and its resistance to Photon Geyser, which is a feat even Pure Hackmon's most overall defensive Pokémon like Giratina and Zygarde-Complete tend to have a harder time doing. Because Mega Slowbro was given this opportunity, it is also given high value, similar to that of Alolan Muk and Mega Sableye.

Gyarados: B -> B+
Although not the easiest to handle, Gyarados is still able to successfully perform its role with possibly little worry depending on the opposing team composition. Being able to set up this Pokémon requires scouting a Mega Mewtwo X's item and either a choice between getting rid of the opposing Imposter or an opposing Prankster Haze. The latter can render Gyarados completly useless without Taunt, the former can stop your Gyarados from sweeping properly as you either have to remain in your normal form and have Wonder Guards block you or Mega Evolve and risk having this sweeper and potentially the rest of your team get knocked out by an Imposter. Gyarados suffers the most from a four-moveslot syndrome in this metagame as you'd want Magic Coat, Taunt, and/or Substitute while at the same time you want Shell Smash and Power Trip. All of this severely stops Gyarados from going much higher. Despite all these being reasons to put Gyarados at a lower rank, Gyarados has proven to not only be a decent Wonder Guard but a decent Illusion Pokémon when used right, and the chances of its success are high enough to where it's more usable than the Pokémon below it on the viability rankings.

Magearna: C+ -> B-
At the time I placed Magearna at C+, I was the only one I've known to have used it. However, since then I have seen and played games against Magearna that have performed noticeably better than when I have ran it. The key feature this Pokémon was given is of course, its dual typing. Steel/Fairy allows Magearna to act pretty decently as it's one of the few Wonder Guards immune to Toxic via Steel-type and can use Fairy-Type, as well as its fair SpA stat, to put a dent on bulky dragons and Mega Mewtwo X that switch in. Magearna as a Wonder Guard has shown to me more than what the Pokémon below it could because of these two feats that were exemplified by the games I've seen.

DROPS:
Mewtwo-Mega-Y: S- -> A+
Simply put, Mega Mewtwo Y is a great hitter and sometimes a decent Wonder Guard but doesn't live up to the Pokémon at S- rank. I didn't see much it could do other than run moldy moves and try imposterproofing itself or having another member imposterpoof it and without any stat boosts, it's weak. This is especially the case when you compare it to its physical counterpart. For example, I found this Pokémon surprisingly missing KOs from offensive Pokémon it hits super effectively with Moongeist after a Quiver Dance.

Scizor-Mega: A+ -> A
This Pokémon was by far the hardest to drop. While I still believe that this is currently our best Wonder Guard, I no longer believe it's much better than Alolan Muk and Mega Sableye as to deserve a definite higher rank. Mega Scizor's biggest flaws are that 1) Its sets leave it more vulnerable to Shadow Tag and Trick than the other two. This is because many of its sets either have Powder to block Fire-type moves, which is a strategy that can easily become manipulated by Shadow Tag users, and other Mega Scizor can often run setup and Baton Pass, more so than Mega Sableye and Alolan Muk, which leaves Trick giving Scizor a harder time. While Alolan Muk is also able to more easily fall for both of these schemes, I believe it's a bit harder to manipulate into such a scenario, as the move Alolan Muk relies on significantly more than the rest of its moves can threaten many Shadow Taggers and Trick users, and isn't used to help it wall specific attacks, which in Mega Scizor's case the other player could bluff. Another one of its biggest flaws is how in order to use Powder effectively, one would have to ensure the opposing side isn't running Safety Goggles on their Pokémon with Fire coverage, as Safety Goggles makes them immune to Powder. Mega Scizor can quickly become lost after finding out its opponent is carrying this item. The last big flaw is rather more minor, but a banded Mega Mewtwo X can leave Scizor as a sitting duck, as it 2HKOs with ease. On Disciple's post, he mentioned how he didn't see Mega Scizor underperforming, however, there were matches I've seen and been through where it felt kinda flat and not as reliable as what I have hoped nor as reliable as what I've placed at A+ rank. These are what ultimately caused me to drop it down and it's the only Pokémon I felt bad dropping while doing so.

Sceptile-Mega: A -> B+
I've seen almost no usage on this Pokémon, but simply put part of its main strategy as I've found at least involves using Spore and Destiny Bond, which can be avoided but incredibly helpful for it when pulled off. I've also been running Parting Shot to at least lower the foe's stats before working around them with my switchin. Overall I still think this can be a decent Pokémon, but to compare it with far more usable Pokémon was a no go for me.

Yveltal: A- -> B-
I'm not exactly sure how this Pokémon can be ran more efficiently in a way that would make it better than anything above it on the viability rankings. I've been through numerous different sets, all with big flaws. Offensively it's outclassed while defensively it can only do so much to take small amounts of damage. One of the best things I can imagine for it is Liquid Ooze with Pursuit, King's Shield, and either Sacred Fire or Will-O-Wisp. Unfortunately it doesn't hit enough to get what it wants. This Pokémon might even be lower rank in the future.

Palkia: A -> C+

This

ADDITIONS:
Blissey: E -> A+
Blissey is really good but is overtaken by Chansey in most ways. The reason it is being ranked is because 10 HP does provide a niche over Chansey with both of its abilities: With Innards Out it is able to OHKO opposing Chansey and Blissey with Final Gambit and with Imposter Blissey is arguably better with items that aren't Eviolite. However the latter is more minor given how the player can decide to bluff Eviolite with another item as a gimmick.

Doublade: E -> A-
Like Mega Slowbro, except it more heavily relies on the foe not having Knock Off. Also more vulnerable to special attacks.

Raticate-Alola: E -> B-
This Pokémon's gracious typing allows it to wall both Photon Geyser, Spectral Thief and Moongeist Beam, allowing it to sweep easier and has only one common offense type as a weakness, allowing this Pokémon to serve as a decent Wonder Guard. The main problem with this however is that it's Raticate. It can only have so much Atk and Defense to muster and can be taken down more easily than the Wonder Guards above it on the VR. Despite this, the ability for Raticate to work as a Power Trip user and and Wonder Guard separately allowed it to become more effective than whatever is below B-.

Articuno: E -> C+
I couldn't deny giving this Pokémon a ranking. It's like Froslass, but bulkier and doesn't have to struggle with its ability or item in order to block the second most common OHKO move. I found matches against this Pokémon quite interesting as the Magic Bounce set I stood up against was capable of forcing out many Pokémon via Soak and Freeze Dry. Despite being x4 weak to Stealth Rock, when played right without being against a Mold Breaker with hazards you can prevent rocks from coming in and keep Articuno safe, forcing more switches. This Pokémon was intended to not only give most Deo-S a hard time but to work with hazards, by having another teammate set them up or by bouncing them back, then forcing the opponent to switch with Soak and Freeze Dry. Unfortunately there isn't anything else I could see this Pokémon doing and it can be easily shut down by any Mold Breaker or offensive Pokémon faster than it.

To summarize all of this I moved these Pokémon based on their effectiveness in comparison to the Pokémon above their rank, below their rank, and at their rank. Whatever I felt was more than noticably more effective than whatever was below or equal to I placed higher and vice versa. If you have any further questions or need further explanation don't hesitate to ask.
Yo, just want to make some comments on the pure hackmons viability ranking and give some cool/funny sets i have made.

First of all, i agree with most of it but some pokes deserve to be higher and some lower. Also some abilities seem to be way too much of a niche to be on the viability ranking while some other, that have more potential in my opinion, are just not there.

Rises :

Slowbro-mega : This thing deserves to be A+ imo. It is by far the best fur coat user as its typing allows it to counter both Photon Geyser and Sunsteel Strike. Moreover its natural bulk allows it to check super-effective moves such as fusion bolt or knock off from mmx huge power (252 Atk Huge Power Mewtwo-Mega-X Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Slowbro-Mega: 136-162 (34.6 - 41.2%) -- 65.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery).

The only other poke that can tank such moves similarly is doublade fur coat but i think that doublade depends a lot on eviolite to work and is also weaker to moves that are a lot more common than fusion bolt or leaf blade (namely sacred fire and thousand arrows).

Slowbro-mega also outclasses zygarde-complete as fur coat user due to its typing. While zygarde is a great pokemon and a good fur coat user, it doesn't counter Photon Geyser as this move ignores abilities (252 Atk Huge Power Mewtwo-Mega-X Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde-Complete: 274-324 (43 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery). Even without any item or terrain it could potentially be 2 OHKO'ed meaning that zygarde-complete would struggle if it had to switch in front of a huge power user.

Slowbro-mega can also be a great pranktser user. With will-o-wisp it can easily cripple huge power pokemon and due to its bulk it can tank mold breaker/belly drum/extremespeed users even if they are at +6 (which can usually only be done by ghost pokemon such as Giratina) and use haze to stop a potential sweep.

Slowbro-mega is an overall great defensive pokemon that can stop almost any physical pokemon. Moreover, it pairs extremly well with wonder guard pokemon such as Muk-alolan and Sableye-mega, who check its weakness and lack of special defense against dark and ghost moves.

Note : i would have nominated it for S- rank but Slowbro-mega is extremely weak to shadow tag.

Greninja-ash from B to A-. First of all, let's add huge power to its useful abilities as it is his best one in my opinion. The best thing about Greninja-ash is its speed. With 399, you can outspeed two top threats in hackmons (Gengar-mega and mmx) and OHKO both. While as a huge power it doesn't have the power of mmx (though it is still pretty strong) it can 2 OHKO most wonder guard and thus serve as a good huge power pokemon. A set like this (knock off/sacred fire/sunsteel strike/dragon ascent) allows Greninja-ash to OHKO mmx and scizor-mega, take care of fairy wonder guard and 2 OHKO wonder guard without a resist to steel such as muk-alolan and sableye-mega. As of now, this set allows Greninja-ash to deal with every wonder guard poke above B rank in the vr except Gyarados. Finally, it also has a prankster immunity which is very nice for a huge power pokemon.

It isn't higher mainly because it struggles, unlike mmx, against the top 3 fur coat users and mainly Zygarde-complete. This can be solved by coverage but then you will be useless against another pokemon. Its defense are also not on par with mmx or Rayquaza-mega making it weak to priority.

Yveltal from B- to A-/A. I am astonished this thing is so low. First, we should remove liquid ooze from its useful abilities. Flint's set is insanely cool but strenght sap is rarely used in pure hackmons and this only works in order to imposterproof mmy (which can be done with other abilities).

Yveltal is kind of like Giratina in earlier gens to me. It has a great variety of viable sets and a very good typing to help it. Flying/Dark makes it ignore Photon Geyser and also not weak to mmx other stab move close combat. It is also immune to stored power and resists power trip. Finally, its dark typing also offers a prankster immunity which can be very useful for its more offensive oriented sets.

Defensive sets :

Fur coat : while Yveltal is not the best fur coat user, it still remains a good ability for it due to its good hp and bulk which allows it to resist super-effective moves from mmx. Moreover, you get a stab Beak Blast which is quite nice against huge power pokemon.

Prankster : Yveltal is a great prankster pokemon. It does the same job as other great prankster pokemon (cripple with status and use haze to stop sweepers) but unlike others has very good offensive stats to not only stop sweepers with haze but attack them too and potentially stop them from setting up. With its type you can also make Yveltal imposterproof itself and render chansey imposter useless with parting shot as momentum move and a trapping move such as Anchor Shot/Spirit Shackle.

Yveltal can also run Magic Bounce due to its bulk though this isn't his best set. Finally, for his defensive capacities, Yveltal is a great pokemon to stop offensive pokemon and thus create anti-imposter combination with it, which i will show some examples of at the end of this post.

Offensive sets :

Mold Breaker : Yveltal's main advantage as a Mold Breaker user is Power Trip. I don't see much more to it as most mold breakers do a way better job due to a better speed. Maybe i am missing something ?

Huge power : Yveltal is a good Huge Power pokemon. While not the fastest, the move Trick-or-Treat makes it very dangerous when associated with Knock Off and Pursuit.

Simple : The idea is the same as the Mold Breaker one but to abuse Power Trip even more. Extreme Evoboost makes it quite deadly if you managed to take out Chansey beforehand. This set seems actually better than the mold one if you just use Sunsteel Strike or Moongeist Beam for coverage against wonder guard.

Yveltal is an all around great pokemon with both offensive and defensive sets which offer opportunities to surprise your opponent.

Arceus from C+ to B/B+. This might seem weird but i feel like Arceus is highly underrated. Sure it isn't as great as it used to be and a Wonder Guard set seems pretty terrible nowadays but it still has amazing stats that allows it to be useful with other abilities. I would say the biggest advantage of Arceus is its anti-imposter potential, due to how you can play with types and plates, which makes it a very good set up sweeper.

Explanation : By choosing a specific Arceus form in the teambuilder, let's say psychic, it will have the psychic sprite. So if an imposter comes against it, it will be psychic type. But you can choose to have a dread plate or darkinium z and multitype and your Arceus will dark type. You can thus give yourself a huge type advantage. The set below shows how i take advantage of this « mechanic ».

Arceus-Psychic @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Photon Geyser
- Power Trip
- Moongeist Beam

Basically, you are dark type, the opponent is psychic so you can hit it with 2 super-effective moves while he will do around 25-30% max to you. This set is also very interesting as darkinium gives you 160 of power on the move power trip in case you can't set up. After 1 shellsmash, you will OHKO imposter chansey eviolite (if it has the same boost as you, -1 in def) with z power trip (160) which does more damage than power trip after 1 shellsmash (140).

You can use a similar set with rock/fairy Arceus sprite and a steelium z and Sunsteel Strike.

The different types of Arceus also allows you to play with Revelation Dance in sets that don't require the ability Multitype. Such sets also make Arceus normal type and thus immune to Spectral Thief. As of now i feel that Poison heal is a good ability for this pokemon with Quiver Dance.

While its defensive utility doesn't really exist anymore, it still has enough offensive power to be higher on the viability ranking. Even its huge power set (fake out/extreme speed) can still be useful as with a life orb it takes care of mmx and deoxys-s.

Deoxys-s from A to S. This thing is just meta-defining. This pokemon makes any 1V1 a 50/50 which no other pokemon does. Mewtwo-mega-x is insane but it is stoppable and in a 1V1 you can actually render it useless. If mmx doesn't have good coverage or if it lacks power, it is stopped. If you want more power it needs a choice band/life orb. The first item locks it and the second makes it lose life and thus weaker to priority or just faster pokemon in general.

The thing about deoxys-s no guard is that it doesn't need more power, its moves just OHKO you. Sure wonder guard and sturdy stop it but it does if you make the right move or if you have the right item. You can have a wonder guard but if you don't have magic coat, Deoxys-s puts you to sleep, does gastro acid and if you didn't wake up, well it's dead. Same for sturdy. You can have a lum berry of course in order to check that but Deoxys-s could very well have a choice scarf and trick. You could do magic coat but it could do substitute and use hypnosis which has more pp than magic coat. I know one pokemon can only have 4 moves but you don't know which one it has when you face it for the first time, so there is no perfect play fundamentely. Whereas for mmx, you sent in your fur coat pokemon and it checks it. There are not a lot who can stop mmx but they exist. You can also just use innards out chansey. Moreover, as i said earlier in order to be more powerful you will have to block yourself into 1 move giving the possibility to your opponent to play around it. Another element which makes Deoxys-s so powerful is its speed obviously. It is the fastest pokemon so in order to check it (offensively speaking), you use a scarf or priority moves. In the case of mmx, well you can just use faster pokemon.

I am not trying to say mmx is bad. It is great and one of the best of pure hackmons, but i am trying to show that there is a pokemon that is even more powerful and meta-defining but that this pokemon, Deoxys-s, is actually only A rank which doesn't make sense to me.

The argument most people use to say Deoxys-s isn't S+ rank worthy is that against 2 wonder guard, it is useless as you can switch over and over to just pp stall it. Well i kinda agree. Indeed Deoxys-s will struggle against 2 wonder guard but if it can only be really stopped by 2 pokemon then it is kinda meta-defining right ? Moreover, this is not counting hazards or other aspects such as mean look/spider web or even having both your wonder guard sleeping and thus being weak to another pokemon on the opponent's team.

Deoxys-s no guard has an insane impact on the way you can teambuild and the pure hackmons metagame in general which makes it S+ rank worthy in my opinion. Going to stop here but i actually haven't even mentionned its other possible sets (mold breaker, prankster, wonder guard) which are good too.

Regigigas to A. It is a good pokemon but in a meta that is so offensively oriented right now with huge power, it is very hard to set up. Moreover, while it may be able to set up with shellsmash, the +2 in attack isn't enough to beat the usual defensive pokemon such as Giratina, Slowbro-mega or Zygarde-complete. The belly drum set does offer more offensive power but you would need extremespeed/shadow sneak to compensate for his lack of speed which would make you insanely weak to imposter.

Right now its spectral thief immunity and the frustration/return imposterproof set still make it a troublesome pokemon to deal with which deserves A rank but not A+ imo.

Giratina to A. I haven't seen many people use Giratina tbh and it is not really surprising. While it is still a great pokemon with an insane variety of sets (prankster, magic bounce, magic guard, fur coat,...), Zygarde-complete and Slowbro-mega just seem to do a better job. The prankster Giratina set which made it so good with curse/sub/recover/spore has also been nerfed due to dark type pokemon immunity to prankster moves. The ability sturdy should also be removed from the vr as Giratina doesn't offer much more than any other poke with sturdy would.

Necrozma-Dawn-Wings @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Shell Smash
- Photon Geyser
- Spiky Shield

This set is an offensive wonder guard with a possibility to beat imposter. Spiky shield serves as a scouting move while the rest is pretty obvious. The special thing is the item. Basically since you have 2 « mold breakers » moves, you don't need mold breaker yourself thus you can have wonder guard to set up. With +2 you are faster than Deoxys-s so only people with a scarf can outspeed you. You can evolve whenever you want in order to have more speed and the neuroforce boost on weakness but most importantly you should do it when the opponent sends chansey imposter in order to outspeed it and OHKO it with Moongeist Beam.

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Mewtwonite Y
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spore
- Photon Geyser
- Shell Smash
- Moongeist Beam

This set is supposed to lure physical defensive pokemon. The point is to spam spore and set up when the opponent sleeps. Once you have done Shell Smash you can remain in this form as the psychic terrain boost makes Photon Geyser very powerful. At +2 Moongeist Beam OHKO Slowbro-mega due to mmx good special attack.

The thing is you don't have to worry about spamming spore since you can mega evolve into mmy whenever you want which has insomnia and will wake up directly. If you face a Chansey imposter, you can mega evolve, outspeed it and with only 32 evs in special defense, you will OHKO it with Moongeist Beam even if it has eviolite.

As you may have noticed both those sets are pretty useless against dark type pokemon. It was made on purpose to be able to beat them myself, even if they are imposterproof in a certain way, in case I face a scarf chansey.

The best pokemon to check both those sets is Yveltal in my opinion, Gyarados-mega being a close second. In order to check Necrozma I use Yveltal huge power with leftovers Pursuit/Recover/Anchor Shot/Photon Geyser.

For Mewtwo-mega-x/y i use Yveltal magic bounce with leftovers and Pursuit/Parting Shot/Recover/Beak Blast.

Zygarde-Complete @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- King's Shield
- Encore
- Shore Up/Strenght Sap
- Perish Song

I am surprised i haven't seen this one yet or just Shadow Tag in general. This Zygarde-complete is mainly here to trap huge power pokemon. By either pp stalling with King's Shield/Shore up or end it quicker with Perish Song if you lowered its attack with King's Shield. You could also run Strength Sap as recovery move and potentially get rid of King's Shield too (freeing 1 moveslot) due to the -1 in attack. It might be a problem in the "very" long run against some pokemon but mmx huge power attack stat is so insane that you would still recover enough even after -3 of attack. Getting health back from other pokemon such as Wonder Guard might be a problem if they run 0 attack ivs and evs though. Encore is here to be able to trap other things than just huge power since Zygarde-complete does outspeed most fur coat and wonder guard users.

Giratina @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk/ 0 Spe
- Psycho Shift
- King's Shield
- Recover
- Core Enforcer

The idea is just to pp stall and annoy the opponent with burns and nullifying its pokemon abilities.

Just going to end this post by mentionning a move that might help against huge power due to its priority, namely Baby-Doll Eyes which can't miss unlike will-o-wisp and doesn't need prankster.

Thanks for reading.:)

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
A new month and 2 new metas! Thanks to We Wuz Nidokangz and Roldski32 for hammering out those banlists and working out the incongruities of Inheritance. It seems like OMotM mashups are going to be a little thin on the ground overall this month, but Let's Go BH will be something we try out and play quite a bit in the groupchat and continue to discuss here. Ransei is taking charge of that (he IS the ph guy :P) for now.

I am personally planning on taking a one to two week hiatus this month, starting probably next week. I hope you can all survive the emotional trauma of my absence.

Following that I will be looking at setting up councils for individual metas. I will be paying careful attention to how you contribute both in the groupchat and in the thread ;). I have rethought my original plan which I mentioned to a couple of you and no longer intend to go through with it (it was a series of forum tours with the top 2 getting council membership if they wanted if you're curious), and will instead be attempting to handpick councils for metas that lack leadership other than me and have moderate to high interest. DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT JOINING COUNCILS, I WILL REJECT YOU OUT OF HAND.

As for specific metagame tiering decisions...
StAAAbmons: Triage is still on the table! Please discuss this, as mentioned by me here.

AAA Ubers: Xerneas is staying for now. I will discuss it with the council when it is ultimately formed.

Let's Go BH: While I don't lead this, I think it's prudent to mention that Shell Smash, Spore, OHKO moves, and Sappy Seed have been banned. A more complete banlist and explanations for these bans if needed can come from Ransei.

Now my wrist is killing me so I'm gonna stop. Maybe I'll post some sets tomorrow.

After looking for available pokemon and moves for Let's Go LC, here are few things that I found :

No Ability nor Items makes this different than in standards, much like a modernized version of Gen 1 LC if you asked me, with Alolan Pokemon and some movepool. Anyways here are some pokemon that i found interesting.

Despite there's no Eviolite, the lack of EV spread or Candy doesn't look like much of like Gen4. Some Pokemon can only 2HKO with unboosted attack.

Pikachu, Eevee, Clefairy and Jigglypuff were allowed to used here. While Scyther, Lickitung, Onix and Porygon are not allowed.
Also, ban Dragon Rage and Sonicboom, their fixed damage output is very high in this format.

These 2 are the only pokemon with access to Shell Smash, making them a great sweeper. However, their limited movepool can hurt them when it comes to some pokemon that can resist their main moves.

Some pokemon with access to Sword Dance such as Doduo and Sandshrew-Alola might be good here.

Also, I've listed the Speed Tier for Let's Go LC here :
Note : This section is incomplete yet due to me running out of time, I'm going to finish this as soon as possible.
24 Speed
Omanyte ( +2 +Speed Nature )
Shellder ( +2 +Speed Nature )
22 Speed
Omanyte ( +2 Neutral Speed Nature )
( +2 +Speed Nature )
18 Speed
Diglett ( +Speed Nature )
17 Speed
Abra ( +Speed Nature )
Diglett-Alola ( +Speed Nature )
Meowth(Both) ( +Speed Nature )
Pikachu ( +Speed Nature )
Ponyta ( +Speed Nature )
Staryu ( +Speed Nature )
16 Speed
Doduo ( +Speed Nature )
Gastly ( +Speed Nature )
15 Speed
Mankey ( +Speed Nature )
Rattata(Both) ( +Speed Nature )
14 Speed
Goldeen ( +Speed Nature )
13 Speed
Magnemite ( +Speed Nature )
12 Speed
Magnemite ( Neutral Speed Nature )
Sandshrew (Both) ( +Speed Nature )
11 Speed
Sandshrew (Both) ( Neutral Speed Nature )
9 Speed
Grimer(Both) ( Neutral Speed Nature )
Paras ( Neutral Speed Nature )
Rhyhorn (Neutral Speed Nature)

I'm going to look forward for this format.

Edit : Only Added few . Also, it turns out, Let's Go forces pokemon to be Level 50, no matter what level it should be. Though, someone mentioned we should do something like Let's Go AG into this, but i'm not sure yet. What a unfortunate thing if you asked me...

Last edited:
Prepare for an essay. This is my 250th post yay. Let’s talk about AAA Ubers right now.

My thoughts on the state of the meta

Right now, the AAA Ubers metagame is getting a lot of attention, even though it isn’t as much as it was just after the suspect. Gonna tag drampa's grandpa to actually update the VR. Xerneas is being used on one heck of a lot of teams, with multiple different sets, classic Tinted, band surprise, even an odd dazzling set to surprise Yveltal and other priority. Checks are essential is every team, and often aren’t used for much else to be honest, I mean, they’re used a small amount but not much. All it takes is a surprise set or crit to win the game, as shown in this replay here. Yes I know I lost but if not for that freeze I would have easily swept. In a battle between ice-master-523 and myself, he critted my Ho-oh and swept me. Xerneas is too big to ignore, and I’m really having second thoughts about my opinion on a suspect. While it can be beaten, it is centralising way too much that is healthy, and most checks can be beaten with a different Xerneas set (for example, on my dazzling set I ran Rock Slide Z-Geomancy to shocker Ho-oh). Magearna can be chipped so long as you don’t make the mistake of setting up, Solgaleo can often be 2KOd by Band, etc, etc. Every steel type that checks Ho-oh is almost forced to run Shed Shell in order to beat its devasting partner Groudon (magnet pull). Even Ho-oh is forced out in fear of stone edge. Considering all this, I believe it should be suspected, or at least taken more seriously, and examined more. I will take this up with the council when it ‘is ultimately formed’ (pls don’t take that as an insult drampa, it was a joke). Yveltal has also earned its place within the metagame as an excellent priority user, excellent defensive set, and pivot, wow! Well, that concludes the end of this section.

Nominations

—> A rank

Primal Groudon is just an insane breaker. Iiiiiiiinsane. Literally counters every single one of Xerneas checks with its classic SR three attack set. All of them. It can trap and kill a bunch of steel types, punch random holes in teams, force opponent’s Pokemon to sack something, and set up / weaken attacks / lower stats before gaining its Primal Devolution. Amazing in Ubers, amazing here.

—> A- rank

This Pokemon is actually seriously underrated. Bolt Strike with Tough Claw and maybe a Band literally KOs the non-resisting meta, including things like Rayquaza, Xerneas, even some Arceus. Fast revenge killer with Scarf, Sweeper with Surge Surfer, and then we decide to run a Sub Outrage Set (adaptability and be done with it (jk). Summary, hits hard.

I don’t have as many noms as I thought I would tbh, but whatever.

Sets

Lets’s start this off with a personal favourite of mine (and no, it isn’t a Zoroark)

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Substitute
- Low Kick

I know most people consider Pressure to be a near-useless ability which only legendaries are given, but this is actually way underrated. Protect + Substitute outlasts Ultra Necrozma’s Photon Geyser (And can chip heavily with U-Turn), and Pokemon like Solgaleo get their Sunsteels wasted until it can’t really check Xerneas anymore. I will always live for that moment when Primal Groudon switches in on it when I click Low Kick on it. Come to think of it, this is basically like vintwo, but without any recovery, and no set up.

Xerneas @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Toxic
- Substitute

A tool from BH. Substitute + Pheal is an amazing combo, and place that with Toxic, it completely checks Ho-oh, not the other way round. Tbh there isn’t much to say about this. Now I’m sad. But yah, now it can check Ho-oh, and hit steels with Focus Blast.

1544726973810.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Bullet Seed

Remove the Fire types and Xern then stall out the team. Ez.

Conclusion

AAAU is really flourishing at the moment. Quick question though. Can we do one of the ideas that I mentioned? I will post a team soon, as well as attempt to make a speed tier soon. Oops didn’t mean it to be big writing.

Camomon AAA is definitely an excellent idea for an omm, and I think we should explore thing like this more.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Hey guys I know I've been hella inactive recently (even after getting back from my brief hiatus). Ransei and I are working on a way to bring more activity and interest to specific metagames that I hope we will be able to start with after the new year (haven't run that by Ransei yet though lol ;P)

Anyway...
BoopToOblivion
Good arguments for a Xerneas suspect :blobthumbsup: (still not doing anything right now though, but this is good discussion)
I can agree with Pdon to A. Looking at the Pokemon currently in A- it just has more utility and flexibility than them.
Zekrom I need a little more evidence on. Not saying no yet, just that I'm not convinced.

This is the latest update
Changes are
Regigigas UR -> A-
Slaking UR -> A-
Groudon-Primal UR -> A
Giratina UR -> B+
Magearna UR -> B+

I also added Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Toxapex to the "to be rated" list
Too tired to really type out defenses of any of these changes but most of them were addressed previously in this thread. If you want anything changed feel free to argue it.
Necrozma Dawn Wings*
-->
Ultra Necrozma (Psychic Surge, Defiant, Competitive, Download, Intimidate, Magic Bounce → Neuroforce)
Kyurem-Black (Refrigerate
Zekrom (Surge Surfer, Adaptability, Regenerator)
Celesteela (Flash Fire, Volt Absorb)
Cresselia (Poison Heal)
Kyogre-Primal (Electric Surge, Download, Intimidate → Primordial Sea)
Xurkitree (Surge Surfer)
Blissey (Unaware, Magic Bounce, Regenerator
Dialga
Groudon (Magnet Pull, Poison Heal)
Lugia
Reshiram
Lunala (Adaptability)
Palkia (Primordial Sea, Swift Swim, Adaptability)
Skarmory (Flash Fire, Intimidate)
Ferrothorn (Flash Fire, Regenerator
Toxapex (Volt Absorb, Prankster

Banned
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
Rayquaza-Mega

S
Xerneas (Tinted Lens, Mold Breaker, Sheer Force, Magic Bounce, Dazzling, Pixilate, Poison Heal)

A+
Mewtwo (Sheer Force, Psychic Surge, Tinted Lens)
Rayquaza (Aerilate, Tough Claws, Adaptability)
Yveltal (Regenerator, Triage, Adaptability, Intimidate)

A
Arceus (Poison Heal, Scrappy, Tough Claws, Guts, Multitype*, Tinted Lens, Magic Bounce, Unaware, Prankster, Competitive, Defiant, other things)
Gengar-Mega (Prankster, Download)
Groudon-Primal (Download, Intimidate, Grassy Surge, Defiant → Desolate Land)
Ho-Oh (Magic Guard, Magic Bounce, Volt Absorb
Marshadow (Adaptability, Magic Guard, Defiant)

A-
Kartana (Tinted Lens, Steelworker)
Kyurem-White (Sheer Force, Tinted Lens
Regigigas (Poison Heal)
Slaking (Poison Heal, Tough Claws)
Solgaleo (Unaware, Flash Fire, Regenerator, Steelworker, Tinted Lens)

B+
Giratina (Poison Heal, Magic Bounce, Regenerator, Intimidate
Magearna (Regenerator, Levitate, Flash Fire

Hey guys I know I've been hella inactive recently (even after getting back from my brief hiatus). Ransei and I are working on a way to bring more activity and interest to specific metagames that I hope we will be able to start with after the new year (haven't run that by Ransei yet though lol ;P)

Anyway...
BoopToOblivion
Good arguments for a Xerneas suspect :blobthumbsup: (still not doing anything right now though, but this is good discussion)
I can agree with Pdon to A. Looking at the Pokemon currently in A- it just has more utility and flexibility than them.
Zekrom I need a little more evidence on. Not saying no yet, just that I'm not convinced.

This is the latest update
Changes are
Regigigas UR -> A-
Slaking UR -> A-
Groudon-Primal UR -> A
Giratina UR -> B+
Magearna UR -> B+

I also added Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Toxapex to the "to be rated" list
Too tired to really type out defenses of any of these changes but most of them were addressed previously in this thread. If you want anything changed feel free to argue it.
Necrozma Dawn Wings*
-->
Ultra Necrozma (Psychic Surge, Defiant, Competitive, Download, Intimidate, Magic Bounce → Neuroforce)
Kyurem-Black (Refrigerate
Zekrom (Surge Surfer, Adaptability, Regenerator)
Celesteela (Flash Fire, Volt Absorb)
Cresselia (Poison Heal)
Kyogre-Primal (Electric Surge, Download, Intimidate → Primordial Sea)
Xurkitree (Surge Surfer)
Blissey (Unaware, Magic Bounce, Regenerator
Dialga
Groudon (Magnet Pull, Poison Heal)
Lugia
Reshiram
Lunala (Adaptability)
Palkia (Primordial Sea, Swift Swim, Adaptability)
Skarmory (Flash Fire, Intimidate)
Ferrothorn (Flash Fire, Regenerator
Toxapex (Volt Absorb, Prankster

Banned
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
Rayquaza-Mega

S
Xerneas (Tinted Lens, Mold Breaker, Sheer Force, Magic Bounce, Dazzling, Pixilate, Poison Heal)

A+

A
Arceus (Poison Heal, Scrappy, Tough Claws, Guts, Multitype*, Tinted Lens, Magic Bounce, Unaware, Prankster, Competitive, Defiant, other things)
Ho-Oh (Magic Guard, Magic Bounce, Volt Absorb

A-
Kyurem-White (Sheer Force, Tinted Lens
Regigigas (Poison Heal)

B+
Giratina (Poison Heal, Magic Bounce, Regenerator, Intimidate
Magearna (Regenerator, Levitate, Flash Fire
Thanks, though question. Why is Solgaleo above Magearna? It’s a much better check (as you said yourself) and it also has the capacity to check a lot of PH normals where Solgaleo can’t. While Solgaleo is pretty much only used for Xerneas (apart from my Z-Splash Flame Charge Tough Claws set XP), Magearna checks a lot of things including Yveltal with its much better typing. (Sorry for the short post guys).

Also, you said you wanted to make this thread more active, why not use the building idea I suggested? Maybe like a competition with a + in the gc as a prize idk. Maybe just build this together. The idea would encourage people to build for mashups, and tours could often be started sooner if we all had teams I guess. Whatever the outcome, I think this is a good idea.

Hi again, drampa's grandpa if you don’t agree with Mage being better than Solgaleo, please post here or on my wall. Anyway, I recently created a server called ZoroWorld and the legendary Brodaha has been working on new formats for it (you can start working on it again btw brodaha) including PH (playable whenever u like, AG MnM, AAAU, and he’s working on others such as MnM Camo as well. If you want a match then feel free to come on. The auth rn are just me, Ransei, and brodaha as admins, and anaconja as leader (and nova but that’s only because I pity him being locked on main). Hopefully, this might encourage more MnM formats :). Ransei can this become the go-to server of mashups, or is rom better?

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hi again, drampa's grandpa if you don’t agree with Mage being better than Solgaleo, please post here or on my wall. Anyway, I recently created a server called ZoroWorld and the legendary Brodaha has been working on new formats for it (you can start working on it again btw brodaha) including PH (playable whenever u like, AG MnM, AAAU, and he’s working on others such as MnM Camo as well. If you want a match then feel free to come on. The auth rn are just me, Ransei, and brodaha as admins, and anaconja as leader (and nova but that’s only because I pity him being locked on main). Hopefully, this might encourage more MnM formats :). Ransei can this become the go-to server of mashups, or is rom better?
rom is certainly much better

We're also using a server ran by We Wuz Nidokangz known as trashchannel, which works for other mashups that are impossible to create tours of

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Your server has crashed multiple times since you set it up and you have been unable to fix it. We need any server we use to be under ownership that understands coding and specifically how to make a server work. We also need it to be something that the roomauth of om mashups decided to use, not something that someone came in and publicly requested us to use.

Please don't promote your server in this thread. And as I have asked before, please don't demand answers to your questions or opinions. I do not owe you or this community immediate or daily answers, especially for a single individuals queries. Posting that you disagree with the ranking and your reasons for thinking so is fine; tagging me again barely a day later demanding I respond is not.

Your server has crashed multiple times since you set it up and you have been unable to fix it. We need any server we use to be under ownership that understands coding and specifically how to make a server work. We also need it to be something that the roomauth of om mashups decided to use, not something that someone came in and publicly requested us to use.

Please don't promote your server in this thread. And as I have asked before, please don't demand answers to your questions or opinions. I do not owe you or this community immediate or daily answers, especially for a single individuals queries. Posting that you disagree with the ranking and your reasons for thinking so is fine; tagging me again barely a day later demanding I respond is not.
Been fixed, brodaha knows how, but OK

manu 11

When someone asks me if i am indian because of my name
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yo, just wanted to share some unconventional sets and some thoughts about hackmons.

Just to be clear I enjoy making sets for unused pokemon or pokemon that are usually outclassed by others. Most of these pokemon are not on the VR (for good reasons) so i try to find them a decent role.

Another heads up, i try to make every set imposterproof but some moves can be changed depending on your team and how it can counter your own team.

Dialga @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Adamant Nature
- Toxic Thread
- Anchor Shot
- Substitute
- Gastro Acid

Dialga seems terrible in pure hackmons. Its typing is its biggest weakness as you are weak to fighting and ground, types that are very common, i would almost say mandatory, on huge power users. Moreover, it doesn't have insane stats and a base 90 of speed which makes it quite slow in pure hackmons. It isn't even on the Hackmons viability ranking which shows that it doesn't have any utility currently.

To overcome those handicaps, i decided to go with Prankster. The idea is to set a sub on Fur coat/Wonder guard users or anything rather passive in order to just trap a pokemon the next turn or poison and reduce the opponent's speed. Gastro Acid helps making anchor shot hit everything and escaping shadow tag. Futhermore, it can help against no guard. Toxic Thread is quite a nice move as it not only poisons but also reduces speed by 1 which for most pokemon reveals fatal as pure hackmons is highly centered around speed. Since Dialga is steel type, you can spam it without fearing Magic Bounce and getting poisoned. The speed drop does affects steel types.

Dark types (immune to Prankster) and Magic bounce users are very annoying for this Dialga. Magic bounce pokemon can still be pp stalled if they don't have switching moves and you trap them.

The idea is mainly to be behind a sub and just annoy with poison. If hazards are on the field, this set becomes a lot more annoying and difficult to deal with. Finally, it can trap imposter and pp stall it.

Kartana @ Fire Memory
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Sunsteel Strike
- Multi-Attack
- Shell Smash

Kartana has great stats but it does lack Speed in a tier like pure hackmons. The main point of this set is to spam spore as you don't care about it being bounced and set up. The biggest advantage of the set is that usual set up sweepers need either Mold Breaker, Mold Breaker moves or moves strong enough to still deal damage if the opposing Prankster does Haze. By being Steel type, Kartana gets a powerful Sunsteel Strike which allows it to run another ability than Mold Breaker. With Prankster you can thus Spore opposing Prankster pokemon before they can use haze and not lose your boost.

Its fire weakness makes it easily imposter-proof with Multi-Attack and Fire Memory. It also offers great coverage combined with Sunsteel Strike as only Water types resist both moves.

Safety Goggles is this set's main weakness but it can easily be dealt with by having Knock off on other pokemon.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Power Trip
- Fire Lash/Gunk Shot
- Focus Punch/Circle Throw/Revenge

Tyranitar-Mega has incredible stats but it is unfortunately completely useless in pure hackmons. It has the same problem as Dialga in a way. Weak to common moves (Close Combat, Sunsteel Strike and Thousand Arrows) and terrible Speed.

It does have the advantage of being Dark type which makes it the most powerful Power Trip user. After 1 Shell Smash it does OHKO every pokemon that doesn't resist the move except Zygarde-Complete or Physical tanks like Steelix-Mega and Aggron-Mega.

The important thing is the item and move Focus Punch. Indeed, having such a bulky pokemon with +2 in Speed and Attack is quite dangerous if it gets impostered. If the opponent imposters you and does Power Trip it almost kills you even though you resist it (around 70%). With this in mind, i tried to find a way to just OHKO Chansey imposter as i could not risk 2 speed ties. Multi-Attack fighting was unfortunately too weak as it did only 70%. The idea was to have a move with decreased priority or charge time which i could use directly with a z move and so « outspeed » Imposter.

Fire Lash is used to drop the Defense of pokemon who resist Power Trip. It can be changed to Gunk Shot to check fairy pokemon easier.

Just to be clear, when i mention imposter and how to OHKO it, I always calc with the imposter having the Shell Smash boost too so -1 in Def/Special Def.

Arceus-Ghost @ Icium Z
Happiness: 0
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Spectral Thief
- Frustration
- Ice Burn

Inspired by the Regigigas Frustration set (thanks Dramlamb). The idea is to play on Arceus typing mechanics in order to get even more boosts. You can steal the imposter's stats while it can only hit you with Frustration. Ice Burn and Icium Z is to OHKO Zygarde-Complete even without boost because i am tired of it tanking everything.

This set does lack power as Regigigas has a lot more Attack than Arceus and can also use Spore to set up/sweep more easily.

Necrozma-Ultra @ Leppa Berry
Modest Nature
- Clangorous Soulblaze
- Stored Power
- Searing Shot
- King's Shield

The set to use if you just want to destroy everything. Clangorous Soulblaze OHKO's most Wonder Guard who do not resist the move and gives +1 in every stat. Leppa Berry so you can use it twice and make Stored Power even more powerful. Searing Shot for Steel types. Finally, King's Shield to set up against Huge Power who have Knock Off/Play Rough.

Imposter destroys you. I use Xerneas max Special Defense Prankster to check it as it ignores Clangorous Soulblaze and can tank +1 Stored Power, use Haze and even survive Searing Shot on the same turn.

Greninja-Ash @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Sheer Cold
- Gastro Acid
- Substitute
- Hypnosis

Not much to say as the set is pretty self-explanatory. The main bonus is being dark type as you ignore prankster moves and even the famous Prankster/Copycat strategy which served as a way of checking No Guard before.

Viable for the pokemon itself but outclassed by other pokemon.
Those are unconventional sets which means that offensively speaking, MMX Huge Power will in 90% of the cases do a better job than them.

Pidgeot-Mega @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Normalize
Modest Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Shell Smash
- Judgment
- Spore

I actually enjoy this set a lot. The fact that Dark type pokemon had a huge advantage against any special sweeper (resist Moongeist Beam and ignore Photon Geyser) annoyed me so i tried to find a way around it. Normalize makes Photon Geyser normal and also boosts it to 120 of power which becomes 180 on Pidgeot-Mega. Judgment with spooky plate remains Ghost type. Shell Smash and Spore are just here to help for set up.

After 1 Shell Smash, you OHKO MMX and double OHKO most Wonder Guard which you can put to sleep with Spore. Spectral Thief immunity too. Set alone is weak to Imposter and useless against Sableye-Mega. Can easily be imposterproof by having a Ghost type pokemon on your own team.

This set also works because people expect a triage set and sent their Wonder Guard.

+2 252+ SpA Normalize Pidgeot-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Muk-Alola: 291-343 (70.4 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Normalize Pidgeot-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Meloetta: 223-264 (55.3 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Spooky Plate Pidgeot-Mega Judgment vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Giratina: 410-484 (81.5 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, Judgment is kinda weird as according to Showdown it should have 144 of power but it seems to not take into account the normalize boost (which seems logical tbh) when you test it as it does the same damage as Moongeist Beam with spooky plate would do so 120.

Slaking @ Fairy Memory/Ghost Memory
Ability: Normalize
Adamant Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Multi-Attack
- Shell Smash
- King's Shield

Similar set but for a physical pokemon. Slaking over Regigigas due to better defensive bulk, mainly against Huge Power. Fairy Memory over Ghost for Sableye-Mega and it also deals with Giratina and other Ghost type poke except Gengar-Mega. Multi-attack OHKO's Mmx after 1 Shell Smash.

Steelix-Mega @ Safety Goggles
Impish Nature
- Haze
- Shore Up
- Anchor Shot
- Core Enforcer

This set does check almost any Physical sweeper and render it totally useless by trapping it and removing its ability. Can trap Imposter.

Solgaleo @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Anchor Shot
- King's Shield
- Toxic Thread

I like Anchor Shot and trapping my opponent a lot... Mostly viable due to its huge HP. It doesn't get double OHKO'ed by Huge Power Sacred Fire/Knock Off or Thousand Arrows and resists both Photon Geyser and Sunsteel Strike. Toxic Thread also makes Mmx slower than Solgaleo allowing it to recover stall it.

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Fur Coat/Wonder Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Lax Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Shell Smash
- Blue Flare
- Clangorous Soulblaze/Moonblast/Sunsteel Strike

Similar to a set I showed in an earlier post. Fur Coat can set up on Huge Power while Wonder Guard can set up against other WG. Fourth move is up to what you need. Clangorous offers stat boost and OHKO's a lot of thing when you become Ultra-Necrozma. Moonblast helps against Dark types and Mmx. Sunsteel Strike gives you a mixed set that can OHKO Fairy WG.

Zygarde-Complete @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Perish Song
- Shore Up
- King's Shield
- Spider Web

This is just taking advantage of the most used switching move right now namely Parting Shot. Ground type also prevents Volt Switch. Soundproof also offers a protection against Sing, Clangorous Soulblaze and Perish Song. Can trap Imposter.

Beedrill-Mega @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Sacred Fire
- Twineedle/Pin Missile

Deoxys-S counter. Twineedle is for Substitute version. Gunk Shot does good damage to Mmx (83-97%). It can obviously have better coverage.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Shell Smash
- Spore
- Power Trip

Gyarados has become quite difficult to use due to Photon Geyser as it can't set up easily anymore. Here we just try to fool the opponent by making him believe that it's Wonder Guard. The idea is also that it can trap imposter who switch in a lot on Gyarados. You use Anchor shot and mega-evolve in order to be immune to Spore while you can Spore him. Then set up and finish it. Trapping imposter is rather easy as it will also need to do 1 Shell Smash to do damage as your main move is Power Trip.

Hope this can be helpful.

I had a comment concerning the viability ranking too. I feel like Aerodactyl-Mega isn't as good anymore. Its Sahdow Tag set isn't as powerful as it used to be since there aren't any fast Wonder Guard anymore and thus bulkier Shadow Tag users are preferred. Moreover, with the introduction of Photon Geyser and Sunsteel Strike, it is quite risky for Aerodactyl-Mega to switch in on Huge Power pokemon. It is still a good Huge Power and Mold Breaker pokemon, mainly because of its high Speed but i would argue that S- rank is a bit high for what it can actually do right now in pure hackmons so in my opinion it should drop to A+. I would even say that it will probably be lower in the future as pokemon in A+ rank are by far better than Aerodactyl-Mega.

Also Ransei, i saw you started a pure hackmons setpedia like the bh one (page 4). I actually think that it is a great idea but can we help and how ? I guess we could give sets on discord for hackmons and you or disciple (council basically) say if good or not ? I don't want to rush you, i know you have all the mashups to take care of, i was just wondering how we could help since in my opinion this would be a great ressource for new players.

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
Announcement!

Hello readers! It's been a good bit of time since I last posted on this thread, but I've came to thinking. For the past month, although the Mashups groupchat has been up and standing and authorities have been creating tournaments to keep it alive every now and then, I felt I wasn't as involved as I should have been, which left me to noticing the groupchat itself having a sense of inactivity. One of the biggest problems I have witnessed with our groupchat, including problems shown previous months of it being ran, is that we have been creating random unorganized tournaments out of nowhere, especially upon the request of users. Many of these include tournaments from formats that aren't official mashups with most even being temporary for OMotM. I've realized this has caused the groupchat to have underwhelming amounts of metagame discussion and development outside of me discussing Pure Hackmons. With that, I would like to introduce a new concept for the OM Mashups groupchat which will begin next week, starting in 2019.

I bring to you, Mashup Spotlights!
Every two weeks, the OM Mashups staff and I will focus primarily on a particular OM Mashup to create tours of and discuss. We will be doing what's sort of like a study of this metagame in order to make sure we have resources prepared and an ongoing discussion in the chatroom. Although our roomtours won't be exclusive to the Mashup Spotlight, I intend to have most of our tournaments be of this particular metagame for the two weeks it takes part in. Currently, we are taking official mashups as priority for Mashup Spotlight, and because of this, official mashups will take second in priority for our roomtours. All other mashups will be made scarcely in return. Expect the ratio of our roomtours to be made at a 2:3:1. For every 2 Mashup Spotlight tours, we will have 3 official mashup tours and then a mashup tournament outside official mashups and the cycle repeats. Being able to focus on a particular metagame will enable the groupchat to have a topic set on to discuss about and help develop our OM Mashups, which I expect will help attract users easier since by then we should have resources set. Official Mashups are put as the metagames that most represent this project, including a few well known ones such as Pure Hackmons, AAA Ubers, and likely to a lesser extent, Balanced Hackmons Doubles. These are the types of metagames we want to develop first as successful OM Mashups before we move on to new ideas.

Voting and Voting Rules
For the first two weeks, I have decided to let users vote between 3 various mashups that could use some more attention.
The rules of voting for our first Mashup Spotlight are:
- You can only vote for one metagame
- Your Smogon profile has to be at least one week old
- You must have at least five forum posts before voting
- You can only choose between the metagames under voting options

Voting Options
The metagames I put up for us to begin with are:

Pokémon can use any move of their typing, in addition to the moves they can normally learn, in an Ubers environment.

Anything that can be hacked in-game and is usable in local battles is allowed, in a doubles environment.

Pokémon can use any ability, barring the few that are restricted to their natural users, in a Little Cup setting.

The list of all three of these can me found starting at this post and scrolling down.

As for now I've only intended to open voting for our very first Mashup Spotlight. In the future I will make a decision of whether or not to continue or change our voting method based on reception.

Happy voting! Voting will end on December 31st.

MAMP

MAMP!
i would suggest not doing the voting like this in this thread because it will massively clog up the thread and drown out discussion for the next few days. maybe do something like omotm voting where you just make a post for each meta and let people like the posts to vote, or do it somewhere external like in the showdown room (this makes more sense to me bc afaik a lot of the mashups community is not active on smogon)

I think either AAA LC or STABmon Ubers will make the most effective spotlights, as I believe these will be relatively easy for non-OM room players to understand and build for compared with BH Doubles. AAA mashups in particular can be easy to approach while offering a lot of freedom and robust balance, and Roldski has done a great job maintaining AAA LC from what I've seen.

i would suggest not doing the voting like this in this thread because it will massively clog up the thread and drown out discussion for the next few days. maybe do something like omotm voting where you just make a post for each meta and let people like the posts to vote, or do it somewhere external like in the showdown room (this makes more sense to me bc afaik a lot of the mashups community is not active on smogon)
If a dedicated voting thread is possible to do in use in future, that seems like a great suggestion. However, the spotlights concept might have to be more established before mashups is allowed to have a second thread for voting purposes (not sure specifically how permissions work here?)

As for using the groupchat, it has issues with a lack of permamency when it comes to vote counting and preventing ballot stuffing with alts. However, I will link to the spotlights post from time to time in the GC to ensure regular users are aware of the vote.

E: Random AAAU nomination.

Lunala @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Roost
- Psych Up
- Focus Blast / Defog / Toxic / Ice Beam

Yeah this Pokemon, pointed out to me by the legendary ice-master-523 is actually crazy good. A Pokemon that checks Xerneas and Mewtwo at the same time is just incredible, while also having a lot offensive utility after Psyching Up some boosts. Roost provides longevity, you can’t have a lunala with Moongeist, Psych Up for boosters, and then just filler at the end. I know I haven’t made very convincing reasons here, let’s provide replay.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-841128279 specifically shows just how little Xerneas does to it, and how it can sweep with the boosts. Even though I forgot Protean was banned (my Xerneas).

My squad with lunala (in tours I’ll use classic tinted instead of protean), rip icemaster said he was gonna post his one my wall but he hasn’t so just sharing this one.

drampa's grandpa (sorry for the tag, it’s just that this is an edit so you might not notice).

Oh wait, nomming to A-.

E: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-841502314 is also a replay where Lunala puts some hard work in on both sides.

E2: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-841507184 if you ever want to CT Icemaster523 or myself.

Here’s another thing about AAA Ubers I would like to add, an unofficial resource (there you go drampa, saved you having to say that). Behold, my own checks compendium.

S

Checks: Solgaleo, Magearna, Ho-oh, Toxapex, Lunala, Scizor (unreliable and rare), Nihilego (unreliable and rare), many Unaware Pokemon.

A+

Checks: Lunala, Lugia, Victini, Ho-oh, Yveltal (for no Ice Beam and no Thunderbolt variants).

Checks: Skarmory, Levitate Magearna (V-Create is rare but usable), bulky Zekrom, Xerneas (Dazzling), there are few checks to this, but it is easily worn down, and rendered useless with any status bar poison.

Checks: Xerneas, Magearna, Any RegenVest user or Dazzling user for triage.

A

Checks: Arceus has few checks due to amazing versitality, but there are a few like Marshadow, Giratina.

Checks: Marshadow (Sneak And Pursuit KO), Ho-oh, Yveltal

Checks: Skarmory, Giratina, Celesteela, Ho-oh for defensive.

Ho-Oh (Magic Guard, Magic Bounce, Volt Absorb)

Checks: Stone Ege Primal Groudon, Any Physical attacker that can KO like Slaking.

Checks: due to its amazing coverage and stats, there are few good defensive checks, Rayquaza, Yveltal, Skarmory, Scarf Xerneas

A-

Checks: Giratina, Ho-oh, Primal Groudon.

Kyurem-White (Sheer Force, Tinted Lens)

Checks: it’s tinted set has few, Ho-oh, Marshadow, Pheremosa.

Regigigas (Poison Heal)

Checks: Giratina, Marshadow.

Checks: Marshadow, Giratina, Primal Groudon, Mega Gengar, Yveltal this mon sucks except against xern

B+

Giratina (Poison Heal, Magic Bounce, Regenerator, Intimidate)

Checks: Marshadow, Mega Gengar, Yveltal, Xerneas

Magearna (Regenerator, Levitate, Flash Fire)

Checks: Primal Groudon, Ho-oh

I’m 100% I missed a lot, so PM me if you feel there should be some added. Will update along with drampa’s VR.

Last edited:
Going to quickpost a team for LC BH.

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
Level: 5
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpA / 236 SpD / 236 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- U-turn
- Shore Up

Murkrow @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Atk / 180 Def / 236 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Spore
- Dragon Ascent
- Drain Punch

Munchlax @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpA / 236 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear
- Spore
- Facade
- Knock Off

Murkrow @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Atk / 180 Def / 236 SpA / 180 SpD / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Knock Off
- Acrobatics
- Imprison

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpA / 236 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Extreme Speed
- Spectral Thief
- Shore Up

Misdreavus @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Dazzling
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 236 SpA / 236 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Judgment
- Secret Sword
- Shadow Sneak

This team involves more on setting up, The 3 Munchlax is a Sweeper and a check to set-up sweeper. The 1st Murkrow annoys Pokemon with Knock Off + Spore, it was originally Dazzling but, I change it to Mold Breaker to bypass Magic Bounce user and remove items from Sticky Hold user. The 4th can be Drain Punch to deal with Pawniard, which is a big threat to this team, or U-turn for momentum. The 2nd Murkrow is another sweeper, with being self-improofed thanks to Unburden + Imprison, lastly, Misdreavus is another sweeper, Shadow Sneak is used on 4th slot for decent STAB priority and with Dazzling, it is self improofed, alongside being protected against other priority users.

To be honest, I have a slight feeling Shell Smash should be looked at. Despite we have Imposter, Unaware and Prankster Haze, they are capable of nearly OHKOing everything in just one turn. Not to mention Eviolite mitigates the Defense drop, in addition of giving them bulk to set-up, some are able to self-improofed themselves or have enough power to break through bulky mon unboosted. But, what do you guys think of Shell Smash in LC BH?

Anyways, i'm going to update the LC AAA VR in a few days, notably going to include Pokemon with native abilities that are otherwise banned, i.e. Arena Trap Diglett.

Another thing: I really enjoy the CAAAMOmons mashup, I think that we should make it, like, more popular, and have more tours. We have a Caaamonomon (mono + Camo + aaa) and I really enjoyed it. Here’s the replay of the final. So yeah. Here are some cool sets I made.

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Wave

As shown by the finals there, Volcanion provides amazing wallbreaking capabilities, even to the point of breaking Chanseyy (crit didn’t matter, I calced it), and icemaster was thus forced to sack a Pokemon to force mine out. Fire Blast hits incredibly hard, and with earth power has great coverage due to a lack of fire / flying Pokemon. Sludge Wave and Steam Eruption are powerful coverage options, and the set could even run Specs in order to 2KO Normal / Poison chansey from full health. Wow.

Magearna @ Electrium Z
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Pain Split
- Calm Mind

Magearna doesn’t have a great offensive typing normally. Magearna is really good in AAA. Hurray! Let’s make this set! Electrium gets a lot of OHKOs, but normal Tbolt and Ice Beam pack a massive punch because of insane coverage and Sheer Force boosted moves. We could also run a Shift Gear CM set to late game sweep. Here’s a random calc.

252+ SpA Sheer Force Magearna Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 254-300 (74 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Fairy / Flying), at +1 it OHKOs, and gigabolt OHKOs.

Tapu Fini @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Whirlpool
- Toxic

Fixed because Toxic Orb couldn’t activate on a poison

While many people prefer a normal defensive set, I tend to use the ultimate Stallbreaker. Chansey comes in, thinking it can completely wall it, when I click Whirlpool, imagine the horror on his face. Of course it can’t do much to Magic Bounce Chansey, but it still beats every non-bounce stall team. Oh yeah, Dark / Ghosthas 1 weakness so it’s hard to break.

That’s everything for now, but I sure had fun making these sets, and I had fun playing it as well.

On a side note, AAA has just banned Weavile! I’m not too sure how this will affect the AAA mashups, because it wasn’t a very common pick anyway. Do you think it should be unbanned in mashups? It doesn’t get much in STAAABmons, nor CAAAMOmons, nor AAA Ubers XP.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)