Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Why is Blaziken so OP, even though it has so many counters?
In addition to what HailFall said, one must remember that Blaziken was never banned for wallbreaking, but rather for its ability to efficiently clean weakened teams much like Greninja. After 1 speed boost, there is very little that can stop Blaziken from sweeping, and other than Azumarill and Talonflame, most of its counters can easily be weakened to the point where Blaziken can just force its way through it

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why does exploud even have an OU analysis? it seems really bad with a middling speed tier and only having one move to spam (abeit powerful) with so many more offensive threats to pressure it, especially when coupled with the fact that stall teams actually have a really good answer to it in chansey anyways.

Why does exploud even have an OU analysis? it seems really bad with a middling speed tier and only having one move to spam (abeit powerful) with so many more offensive threats to pressure it, especially when coupled with the fact that stall teams actually have a really good answer to it in chansey anyways.
It must have a niche even if it's small as hell, probably, or should I say most likely low on viability rankings.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It was given one in early XY and it was never taken down.

Ok so on a Shuckle with the moves Sticky Web, Stealth Rock, and Encore, should I have Toxic or Infestation in the last slot?

Ok so on a Shuckle with the moves Sticky Web, Stealth Rock, and Encore, should I have Toxic or Infestation in the last slot?
If you're playing OU, as the title of this thread suggests, you just shouldn't be using shuckle. I think there was an article in the "don't use this, use that" section about it. I'd go with klifi or something right now. If you feel that your life's empty without using shuckle though, then use infestation. but seriously, it stinks.

Depends on the team its on, honestly shuckle is trash in OU to begin with but if you're running it toxic may be better in general

And if you really wanted to use sticky web, I would recommend Smeargle as it has access to a lot of utility moves to pair with Stealth Rock and Sticky Web such as Spore and Magic Coat which can prevent it from being Taunted. Set would look something like

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 96 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Magic Coat

Sticky Web really isn't a good playstyle at the moment so yeah.

What's the best Jellicent spread to be using? Im using a set of Taunt, Hex, Will-O-Wisp, and Recover and while I want to outspeed Azumarill, I dont know if I should be running full SpDef, or if there is a physical benchmark to hit

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What's the best Jellicent spread to be using? Im using a set of Taunt, Hex, Will-O-Wisp, and Recover and while I want to outspeed Azumarill, I dont know if I should be running full SpDef, or if there is a physical benchmark to hit
Run full speed since the main mons that you check that are really strong are volcanion and keldeo

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
These are the only Jelly sets that I'd recommend using in the current metagame:

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD OR 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold / Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic
- Hex
- Recover

If I remember correctly, bold is generally better due to Volc generally going timid, but calm lets it take on modest specs Volc better. They avoid the respective specs HP Grasses from 2HKOing from full health. Alternatively go full PhysDef.

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 112 SpD / 44 Spe OR 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Calm / Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Hex
- Recover

See above. Also outpaces uninvested Alom to Taunt it before it can use Wish.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 / 120 Def / 52 SpD / 88 Spe OR 248 HP / 144 Def / 28 SpD / 88 Spe OR 248 HP / 164 Def / 88 Spe
Bold (spread 1 and 3) / Calm (spread 2) Nature
- Scald / Hex
- Recover
- Toxic
- Taunt / Will-O-Wisp

Spread 1 beats timid Volcanion, spread 2 beats modest Volcanion, spread 3 is full PhysDef.

Please correct me if I have misremembered what any of the calm spreads do. I'm kinda tired so I'm not gonna calc now, but I'm 90% sure that's what they do.

Full SpD is something which I have used in the past, but honestly with Timid being generally better on Volcanion it feels like less of a necessity nowadays, with more mixed/physically defensive spreads tending to lend themselves to the nature of Jellicent better. Also I consider Toxic to be a necessity on Jellicent just so that it can actually damage Volcanion and just generally stallbreak better.

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
"standard" jelli speed-wise would be enough for bulky band azu and by extension clefable.

pretty customisable mon when it comes to evs which i like a lot, spdef is the best way to go while hitting specific speed benchmarks based on your preferences (8 spe / 84 spe / 176 spe) which hits clef(+bulky band azu) / uninvested skarmory / max adamant azu. can ramp it up a little if you want to get the jump on stuff like venu which always creeps adamant azu at the very least. there's also some other speedcreeps for oddballs like alo but who uses that.

not a fan of advocating jellicent with 0 way of crippling ttar given its a pretty defining threat right now and has stupid high usage right now, wisp is definitely 100% necessary alongside recover since you absolutely need the more reliable burning move, then it boils down to stuff like scald/taunt/hex/toxic/ENERGY BALL/whatever else.

Martin

Yeah ultimately I think the best set is prolly tox+wisp+recover+hex w/ colbur, but I was just listing other options just to kinda cover all bases really. Wisp is pretty freaking invaluable in the current meta given the volume of Pursuit users (there is one on almost every team nowadays) so being able to cripple them consistently is huge.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Does anyone have an idea why manaphy is so uncommon now? i dont really think its bad as a well played manaphy can be devistating to even prepared teams. you would think it would be getting pretty common now with so many fat teams around

Martin

Because the metagame is still offensively-oriented. Sure bulky teams are more common now than they were 6 months ago, but given that BO is the best playstyle rn Manaphy isn't in favor and people tend to opt for Keldeo or Starmie over it as a result.

Also does anyone have an importable for that 6 setup 'mons team?

Because the metagame is still offensively-oriented. Sure bulky teams are more common now than they were 6 months ago, but given that BO is the best playstyle rn Manaphy isn't in favor and people tend to opt for Keldeo or Starmie over it as a result.

Also does anyone have an importable for that 6 setup 'mons team?
I don't have it on me but ik it was submitted for the teambuilding competition a few weeks ago (the week with thundurus-T

I still use a Manaphy on my team and it's still very viable and a ton of fun. One Tail Glow and as long as its threats have already been eliminated, you're free to sweep! :)

What is a good spread to use for Lucario
Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

This is clearly the best set on Lucario in OU, Adamant is used over Jolly because Jolly doesn't let it outspeed many extra mons and its power with Adamant is pretty huge, if you want to check out sets for pokemon, use this: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

This is clearly the best set on Lucario in OU, Adamant is used over Jolly because Jolly doesn't let it outspeed many extra mons and its power with Adamant is pretty huge, if you want to check out sets for pokemon, use this: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/
Thank You

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)