Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Can someone explain to me what changed in the ORAS OU metagame that dropped Metagross - Mega from the top threat it used to be to it's current state?

hi =]

i'm curious on building a team around empoleon, what are your thoughts on it / Pokemon to run with it / movesets? it's a great stealth rock setter and defogger and i'd like to see what i can make with it :o
An offensive lure with Chople or Shuca sounds fun, actually. Chople helps against Focus Blast / Superpower spammers while Shuca allows you to take on Grounds and OHKO back with Torrent Hydro Pump or Ice Beam.

Good partner for band-terrakion?
You can go ahead and check out the ORAS Cores section. To quote:
Offensive Cores
Mega Gardevoir + Thundurus-I + Terrakion
Terrakion + Garchomp
Mega Latias + Terrakion
Mega Lopunny + Terrakion

This set in particular uses Banded Terrakion:

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head

Garchomp @ Salac Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

I read that electrics usage is dropping, is there a reason ? Are they worse in the current meta than before ?

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't have a rest of the team yet. If using Defensive Tangrowth, Slowking, and LO Torn-T, what would partner well with those?
Answers to Scizor/Weavile, Ground types for electrics, rockers like Garchomp, fire types of course for the FWG core, steels

Basic mons under these guidelines would be Tyranitar, Chomp, ZardX, Scizor, Heatran, Hippo, Raikou, Nidoking, Clefable

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can somebody link to where everybody gets sprites?
To post on mobile, use the following bbcode and replace "xy" with the generation abbreviation you want (rb, gs, rs, dp, bw or xy) and "talonflame.gif" with the appropriate Pokémon's name+file extension (.png for gens 1-4, .gif for gen 5 onwards, e.g. "bisharp.gif" "jirachi.png" "latios-mega.gif" "charizard-mega-x.gif" "landorus-therian.gif" "deoxys-speed.png" "rotom-mow.gif" etc.):

Code:
[img]www.smogon.com/dex/media/sprites/xy/talonflame.gif[/img]
This shows

You can't get shinies like this, but it saves time when posting from mobile and doesn't risk your tab refreshing while you're in another fetching the image while also working for mobile browsers which you can't access the image URL or directly paste images on.

yeah it took people 6 months to realize raikou is bad :/
I personally think that its Choice Specs set is extremely powerful in the right team; it has one of the hardest hitting yet fastest Volt Switches in the metagame, and can decimate many threats with Thunderbolt, while outspeeding them. Shadow Ball provides good coverage, and HP Ice hits many foes for 4x damage. Seeing as you are THE AM, I'm expecting a great response answer ;)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I personally think that its Choice Specs set is extremely powerful in the right team; it has one of the hardest hitting yet fastest Volt Switches in the metagame, and can decimate many threats with Thunderbolt, while outspeeding them. Shadow Ball provides good coverage, and HP Ice hits many foes for 4x damage. Seeing as you are THE AM, I'm expecting a great response answer ;)

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
With bulkier teams being more common, would SD Tailwind Zard-X with Outrage be worth using to break down those types of teams? I know that it isn't as good as the DD set but I want to know if it's viable this meta.

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
With bulkier teams being more common, would SD Tailwind Zard-X with Outrage be worth using to break down those types of teams? I know that it isn't as good as the DD set but I want to know if it's viable this meta.
If i ran sd zardx, I wouldn't bother with tailwind since losing out on roost to set up on weaker waters is kinda ass and shit on fatter teams tends to be fairly slow most of the time anyways.

Is AV Bisharp a notable check to Kyurem-B and Tornadus-T? I would like a pursuit trapper that can do both of those things on my team so that is why specifically Bisharp. Is it any better than if you were to slap Life Orb?

Is AV Bisharp a notable check to Kyurem-B and Tornadus-T? I would like a pursuit trapper that can do both of those things on my team so that is why specifically Bisharp. Is it any better than if you were to slap Life Orb?
I wouldn't run it, bisharp gets knocked out by torn t with superpower, plus it's gonna take a ton from things like heat wave and earth power anyway. Try pursuit weavile, it scares both of these mons giving you the oppurtunity to trap them. AV bisharp just seems like such a wasted slot I wouldn't recommend it.

http://pastebin.com/3pcDGWeA

Can somebody give me a few advices to change this XYOU team to adjust better to the current meta since I suck at teambuilding?
You don't have solid water resist. Your only scald switch in is keldeo, which has no recovery so I would advice another scald swtich in like lati or amoongus which would also improve matchup against stuff like breloom and tangrowth and rotom.

Your thundurus set is kinda weird. I get it, skill wave is best move in the game, but you are not that weak to things like loppuny, zard or gyra. Torn is kinda annoying but I think that NP set would be better and improve your matchup against fat/celf since with bisharp and mega zam you have already not bad matchup against offence.

I'm not huge fan of scarf heatran. I think that scarf jirachi would be better because it can bring in keldeo easily and have healing wish support.

Imo pursuit bisharp is bad. Just run SD.

I would advice: zam, keldeo, lando, scarf jirachi, sd bisharp and amoongus.

Last edited:
You don't have solid water resist. Your only scald switch in is keldeo, which has no recovery so I would advice another scald swtich in like lati or amoongus which would also improve matchup against stuff like breloom and tangrowth and rotom.

Your thundurus set is kinda weird. I get it, skill wave is best move in the game, but you are not that weak to things like loppuny, zard or gyra. Torn is kinda annoying but I think that NP set would be better and improve your matchup against fat/celf since with bisharp and mega zam you have already not bad matchup against offence.

I'm not huge fan of scarf heatran. I think that scarf jirachi would be better because it can bring in keldeo easily and have healing wish support.

Imo pursuit bisharp is bad. Just run SD.

I would advice: zam, keldeo, lando, scarf jirachi, sd bisharp and amoongus.
GeniusX i wouldn't use Moonguss on this build since it looks like a basic goon offense that relies heavily on maintaining momentum. You'd really be better off using Latios > Amoonguss to maintain momentum. A Calm Mind set seems nice here to assist with stall or run a zam set of Knoff / Psychic / DGleam / Focus Blast

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Does Choice Scarf Medicham sound like a bad thing to use in OU?
Yes

There are scarf users with better STAB combos, power, and bulk to choose from. If youre looking for fast fighting type moves you should go for a priority user like breloom or something along those lines instead.

GeniusX i wouldn't use Moonguss on this build since it looks like a basic goon offense that relies heavily on maintaining momentum. You'd really be better off using Latios > Amoonguss to maintain momentum. A Calm Mind set seems nice here to assist with stall or run a zam set of Knoff / Psychic / DGleam / Focus Blast
Yeah, lati seems to be nice option until you realize this team lacks status switchins and something like wave+wisp rotom (master blunder's set ;)) destroys it. Evert twave user like statmie or clef is huge problem and despite pasive nature of amoongus I think that it is superior option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)