VGC ORAS Tailroom VGC

hi guys I'm back with another RMT, trying to get into vgc once again after a long hiatus. I'm not a very experienced player in this format ( this is the second team I've built...) and I'm seeking for your help.

teambuilding process

Gardevoir was the first pick and my mega of choice. heatran and suicune were added basically together since they have good sinergy. suicune is a bulky tailwind setter and heatran is the attacker. Then I didn't actually know how to finish off the team and I slapped terrakion and gengar to check kangaskhan, aegislash and breloom. In the last slot I used to use taunt thundurus to patch the weakness to water-types and trick room, but I tried out amoongus and it did its job much better. At this point I felt like going for trick room over coverage on gardevoir because heatran and gardevoir are good abuser of both field conditions, plus it allows me to spam spore much more freely.

The team has given me good results but I think they could be better. Threats are psychic- types (gardevoir is stopped only by heatran), ground-types ( I remember having trouble against a camerupt) and probably much more I'm not aware of. I believe the team success lies in the fwg core + gardevoir.The weakest links of the team are gengar and terrakion, so if probably they are the pokemon you want to change.

the team itself

team description

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Tailwind gives Suicune the ability to raise its team's speed; scald is Suicune's primary attacking move; and you know, 100% burn chance is nice for crippling physical attackers. Ice Beam has good offensive synergy with Scald and allows Suicune to hit threats such as Mega Salamence, which it is supposed to check. Protect over snarl because in conjuction wih sitrus berry gives Suicune longevity.

The given EV spread allows Suicune to outspeed Adamant Choice Scarf Landorus-T during Tailwind and OHKO it with Ice Beam. The remaining EVs are invested in HP and defenses to give Suicune the most opportunities to support its team.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Heat Wave is a great STAB spread move, and Earth Power is Heatran's best coverage option, allowing it to hit wide guard aegislash. Protect is pretty much mandatory on non-choiced 'mons and substitute+lefties is a great combo on forced switches.

The given Speed EVs allow Heatran to outspeed uninvested Rotom-A. Maximum investment in Special Attack ensures that Heatran can dish out powerful hits, and the leftover EVs go in HP.

This pokemon is kinda hard to get a sub with but once you do heatran puts in work. It's a great asset to pressure builds with pixilate hyper voice spammers.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Protect
- Rage Powder

Ah this pokemon. Design-wise is horrible, but it has very good typing, movepool and stat distribution, it's not hard to see why it gets so much usage. Spore and Rage Powder are mandatory and are the moves that define amoongus in this meta and you have regenerator to abuse rage powder. Giga Drain over sludge bomb to effectively check water-types. Protect is standard.

rocky helmet is good for punishing the opponent's fake out as I go for spore and is great against physical attackers in general; for this reason EVs maximize physical bulk. Relaxed nature to be "fast" in trick room; I didn't bother with 0 speed IVs because in TR you can speed tie 0 speed IVs camerupt at best, with 31 IVs you outspeed it outside of TR and you put it to sleep.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 108 HP / 124 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect

gardevoir is a top tier mega that boasts Pixilate Hyper Voice. Psychic over 'shock to hit harder amoongus and venusaur. Protect is a staple move in VGC, and it gives Gardevoir a free turn to Mega Evolve and shift its mediocre base 80 Speed to a more tolerable base 100 Speed. Trick Room gives further speed control and disrupts opposing TR strategies.

252 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature maximize damage. With 20 Speed EVs, Mega Gardevoir outspeeds Bisharp and OHKOes it with Hyper Voice after the mega-evolution. 108 HP and 4 Special Defense EVs are enough so that Modest Gengar cannot OHKO Mega Gardevoir with Sludge Bomb or Shadow Ball. 124 Defense EVs increase Mega Gardevoir's mediocre physical bulk.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

gengar is not as good as i expected without LO but focus sash has the merit of giving the team a good lead,it allows to bypass its bad defenses and it alsso provides the team a late-game wincon after heatran and gardevoir have done their job.

Shadow Ball is Gengar's main STAB move and deals respectable damage to most Pokemon, especially Aegislash. Sludge Bomb is used to deal massive damage to Grass- and Fairy-types. Will-O-Wisp allows Gengar to cripple most physical attackers and completely shut down Mega Kangaskhan. Protect allows Gengar to survive an extra turn and help me to preserve the sash.

EVs are dumped in spatk and spe.

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Close Combat is the Fighting-type STAB attack Terrakion will use, and its huge 120 Base Power backed up by Terrakion's base 129 Attack stat means it can deal large amounts of damage to foes that don't resist it. Rock Slide is a great STAB which has that sweet scald-like 30% flinch-chance. Quick Guard allows Terrakion to support the rest of the team and itself by blocking priority moves including Fake Out if Terrakion is faster than the Fake Out user. Protect is used for scouting or blocking attacks and is one of the best moves in doubles.

lum berry is used because status can screw up a game, but I believe LO is an option. EVs are fairly simple.
Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Protect
- Rage Powder

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 108 HP / 124 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Hi hublo! Nice team you have here! Now, into the rating:

Minor Changes

Amoonguss: Switching the EV spread to 188 HP / 164 Def / 156 SpD with a Calm nature would allow you to survive Gardevoir's Psychic, allowing you to check most Psychic-types better.

Major Changes

Replace Terrakion for Tyranitar. Tyranitar gives you a Pokemon that deals with both Mega Charizard Y and Landorus-T which are a huge concern for your team. Beating these is a priority, as they together can truly punch a hole to your team. A LO Set with a Brave nature is what seems to be nice for your team, as it can deal with these two Pokemon, even when paired together:

Offensive calculations:
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 224-270 (121 - 145.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Life Orb Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 12 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 203-244 (122.2 - 146.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Defensive calculations:
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 140-168 (67.6 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 25-30 (12 - 14.4%) -- possible 7HKO

Well, that's it for now! Have luck with your team!

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Just pointing out that Tyranitar's sand will break Gengar's sash I'm not sure if Steven Stone noticed that but it might still be okay and Tyranitar>Terrakion is definitly better

Just pointing out that Tyranitar's sand will break Gengar's sash I'm not sure if Steven Stone noticed that but it might still be okay and Tyranitar>Terrakion is definitly better
Noticed it but i didn't really wanted to switch it as it would make the Kangaskhan matchup kinda bad. Gengar is his only real shot at Kangaskhan once Terrakion was gone, and Aegislash would add another Ground-type weakness which doesn't help the Landorus-T and Charizard Y matchup. Jellicent is an option over Suicune as it sums Gengar and Suicune together but then what do you do with the free slot? A lot of thought has been given to this asset. However, i'm getting some ideas together, and will proceed to make more modifications later.

I am not exactly sure what the point of 20 EVs in Speed but 0 IVs in Speed
Can you explain it? Because maybe you can just change it to 31 and place those EVs into like HP,SpD or Defense for just a bit more bulk
Also perhaps change Psychic to maybe Psyshock to help against defensive Pokemon like Assault Vest Conkeldurr or to bypass the very specially bulky Sylveon

I also agree with Steven Stone on that Tyranitar suggestion, your team has a bit of a weakness to Psychic type attacks, Tyranitar might be able to slightly balance that out

Mishimono

mish mish
I am not exactly sure what the point of 20 EVs in Speed but 0 IVs in Speed
Can you explain it? Because maybe you can just change it to 31 and place those EVs into like HP,SpD or Defense for just a bit more bulk
Also perhaps change Psychic to maybe Psyshock to help against defensive Pokemon like Assault Vest Conkeldurr or to bypass the very specially bulky Sylveon

I also agree with Steven Stone on that Tyranitar suggestion, your team has a bit of a weakness to Psychic type attacks, Tyranitar might be able to slightly balance that out
I'm assuming you are talking about the Gardevoir it should be 20 Spe to outspeed Bisharp with a Modest nature and 31 IVs.

Thanks for the rate guys, I appreciate that c:
But I have to say I'm not fond of t-tar's sand so are other dark-types worth testing, like bisharp and hydreigon?

Thanks for the rate guys, I appreciate that c:
But I have to say I'm not fond of t-tar's sand so are other dark-types worth testing, like bisharp and hydreigon?
It's not because Tyranitar's Dark typing, but rather, because of the ability to get sand up and OHKO both Mega Charizard Y and Landorus-T, something that neither Bisharp nor Hydreigon can accomplish.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
a lotta (most) lando-t's run superpower, tyranitar isn't exactly a lando-t check. and if you're worried about sand breaking the sash, just run goggles lol, which might be pretty useful in general cuz it lets gengar ignore the pesky 'A's in those boring CHALK teams and burn lando's / kangas next to amoongs. You could even just go icy wind > protect / stab to annoy lando-ts on the switch. e_e

a lotta (most) lando-t's run superpower, tyranitar isn't exactly a lando-t check. and if you're worried about sand breaking the sash, just run goggles lol, which might be pretty useful in general cuz it lets gengar ignore the pesky 'A's in those boring CHALK teams and burn lando's / kangas next to amoongs. You could even just go icy wind > protect / stab to annoy lando-ts on the switch. e_e
As Se Jun Park said some time ago, the best way to beat Landorus-T is "not let that happen". Considering AV Landorus-T (which is now the most common variant), Gengar can outspeed and burn, which is amazing for Tyranitar. If the Landorus-T is Scarf, Gengar can EASILY switch into Tyranitar's slot and ignore both Earthquake and Superpower.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Gardevoir it should be 20 Spe to outspeed Bisharp with a Modest nature and 31 IVs.
Yeah, the Gardevoir, but I mean why 0 IVs in Speed?
Because I mean if it's to use TR more efficiently I would assume that it would make sense but then the 20 EVs put into Speed confuse me because I am not sure if you want to get TR up or not at all

Mishimono

mish mish
Yeah, the Gardevoir, but I mean why 0 IVs in Speed?
Because I mean if it's to use TR more efficiently I would assume that it would make sense but then the 20 EVs put into Speed confuse me because I am not sure if you want to get TR up or not at all
He probably is a beginner and didn't know to run 31 Spe IVs

He probably is a beginner and didn't know to run 31 Spe IVs
SMH MISHI. Nah, it isn't because of that. When you use the Showdown teambuilder, any Pokemon with Trick Room or Gyro Ball will automatically have its Speed IVs lowered to zero. He might just have overlooked it :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)