OU RMT...

Did this poll make you come here?

• Total voters
Alright well this is a pretty decent team I made. Sorry if this is going to be the most boring rmt you'll ever read.

Infernape@Focus Sash
Naive
EVs:56 Atk/200 Spe/252 SAtk
-Fire Blast
-Close Combat
-Grass Knot
-Fake Out

I have always felt that a good lead needs to be able to take down the other lead at least 60% of the time. Infernape does this with ease. Fake Out lets him defeat sashers quickly and dual STAB gives him enough power to take down most pokemon. Most people don't notice the mental effects fake out can have. Most good players know the fake out set. After fo is used they will asume a set of Fire Blast, CC, and stealth rock. This gives aquick advantage against swampert leads who willl feal safe about setting up rocks rather than hitting me with EQuake. The only common lead that would seem problamatic is metagross, but even he isn't a problem as I have the perfect switch for him. Another thing I have noticed is that Infernape often puts my opponent in a situation in which they can either KO/weaken Infernape or set up sr but rarely both. Here is a list of how I would deal with the most common leads:

Azelf- Lead with FO. Then I will take it out with Fire Blast. My opponent can either choose to brake my sash or set up sr and be put in a pretty bad situation if their only checks to infernape are guys like scarftran.

Metagross-First I will use FO. This will let me scout for items such as lefties which is pretty pointless but why not? Then use fire blast to either OHKO or activate occa. If they are using the EQuake+ Bullet Punch set then I will switch to Mence on the Bullet Punch. Now my opponent has to switch out or risk losing 'Gross and sr. If they don't have EQuake then I win.

Jirachi-Again, use FO. Then Fire Blast to get the KO. I have switched out a few times due to the tendency of my opponent not keeping Jirachi in or if it's a scarfachi set.

Swampert- Fo then GK. The amazing thing is that Infernape fails to get a OHKO. Either that or people have found a new EV spread for Pert...

Aero-Yeah, this is the guy I can't automatically beat. I usually brake the sash then go to Gross to finish him off. Not very common though.

Hippowdon-This is what I lose to. though I have managed to beat him with simple mind games through the use of fake out. Grass Knot is a 2HKO so if my oppoenent sets up rocks rather than using EQuake I usually end up winning. If not, then I can finish him off with someone else.

Infernape: Most leads aren't fake out leads so I usually beat them with CC.

Bronzong-Fire Blast to death.

Gyara-Not common but if I face this I'll usually switch.

I need to point out that Infernape can't OHKO Heatran and Swampert without Life Orb or Expert Belt, unless if I'm just missing something. I like this guy but I sometimes feel that I can use U-Turn instead of Grass Knot but getting rid of pert early is helpful

Metagross@Occa berry
Adamant
EVs:252 Hp/ 228 Atk/ 12 Def/ 16 Spe
-Meteor Mash
-EQuake
-Explosion
-SR

I have found leadgross to be far more effective when not used as a lead. People usually don't expect the lead set so they may feel safe with sending out their scarftran or infernape to take me down. Once I set up rocks on the switch I will either use EQuake or Explode to hopefully take something down with me. I wanted to try shadow ball in place of Meteor Mash but I'm having trouble coming up with a proper EV spread. Occa provides the KOs against common switch-ins, Zapdos especially.

Gyarados@Choice Band
Adamant
EVs:4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Payback
-EQuake

That's right, CB Gyara. This is probably the most underated Gyara set out their. CB allows Gyara to take out most of its counters with either one or two hits. joteon is OHKO with Waterfall, Celebi by Payback, Zapdos by stone Edge and is 2HKOed by Waterfall if it is the defensive set which is slower than Gyara, and Rotom doesn't exactly appreciate being hit by Payback. EQuake is mainlt filler. The basic way to use this is to check out the opponents team early and scout for potential counters. Then when gyara comes in i fire off the attack that will be most effective against the switch-in. It can switch-in with little trouble though I think it is my most flexible poke because I lack a good electric absorber. Pretty strange but it gets the job done.

Salamence@Life Orb
Naive
EVs:16 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 240 SAtk
-Draco Meteor
-Outrage
-Flamethrower
-EQuake

The best wall breaker in the current meta, though you probably knew that already. Mence does what he is supposed to do. Take out pokemon like celebi and open up holes in my oppoents team. Draco Meteor is just a deadly move and is usually the move of choice when in doubt. Hitting that Latias switch-in can be game breaking and mence is known for breaking my opponents team wide open.

Scizor@Iron Plate
Adamant
EVs:240 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 16 Spe
-SD
-Bullet punch
-Superpower
-U-Turn

Scizor is one of the best sweepers there is. This set can really screw with my opponent. Iron Plate allows bullet punch to do plenty of damage while still allowing me to switch between moves. U-turn is simply for early scouting and is almost a must due to the increase in Magnezone usage. Sperpower is for that predicted Heatran switch-in and just good coverage. The ability to fake a choice set helps to get quick SD boosts and can open up a chance for my other sweepers. if I do replace Gyara then I will probably change this to a CB set but that's for later.

Lucario@Life Orb
Adamant
EVs:252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
-SD
-CC
-Extremespeed
-Crunch

SDlucario gets to sweep quite often in this team. Scizor can bait out his counters and I'll deal with them with Gyara and Mence. Lucario will also manage to help Scizor sweep instead sometimes by being able to pick off poke with extremespeed. I am considering using Jolly with ice Punch in order to deal with Zapdos because Celebi isn't really a problem and Zapdos isn't the easiest thing to beat for me as I often rely on taking it down on switch ins or I just try to weaken it up with Mence.

Well that's the team I have so far. Thanks for reading and for posting.

Sprites are from serebii.

Testing:

Swampert in place of Gyara

Swampert@Leftovers
Relaxed
EVs:240 HP/ 216 Def/ 52 SAtk
-Surf/ Hydro Pump
-EQuake
-Ice Beam
-Roar

Scizro@CB
Adamant
EVs:148 HP/ 252 Atk/ 12 Spe/ 96 SDef
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit
-U-turn

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not such a great rater, but by just skimming the team, there's a major "Electric" weakness going on here with none of the team resisting the type. It is also very physical orientated, but I think that's fine.
I mean that SpecsJolteon would rip right through your team, especially with a Stealth Rock lead and your Infernape's Focus Sash down. Of course he'd need to watch out for the multiple priority moves here, but Jolteon is still very dangerous when you have no switch ins for him.

Without removing a role, might I suggest Choice Band Swampert over your current Choice Band Gyarados? Swampert gives the much needed Electric immunity and much more power than Gyarados with STAB Earthquake. He also gives you a bit more options to destroy Lucario's counters with (Gliscor, Zapdos, Gengar to an extent) Yeah... I'll just copy paste the set here from the analysis.

Swampert @ Choice Band
104 HP / 204 Atk / 100 Def / 100 Spe
Adamant
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail/Waterfall (I'd prefer Aqua Tail for more power)

Also, you may want to make Scizor a bit more on the bulky side. I just don't like the way it tries to mimic Lucario's role, although the way he is is actually fine (he's Scizor...). You can make a support role for Scizor with this:

Scizor @ Leftovers
Technician
176 HP / 100 Atk / 232 SpD / (just copy/pasted the It's a Trap set with Spe into Spe Def)
Careful/Adamant (I prefer Careful)
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break

Pursuit would be nice somewhere, but I don't know where.

This set transforms your current Scizor into a decent supporter, letting Scizor Knock Off the wall's Leftovers (Forretress, Skarmory, Hippowdon, Gliscor, etc), letting Lucario having a much easier time sweeping the team. Bullet Punch is there just because it destroys things. But it's just good to have extra priority in the team in general. Roost for survival so you can keep Knocking Off more items or breaking down barriers with Brick Break.

Well, your team; hope I did something. xD

i am aware of that specs jolt problem because it has happened more then once. I do find Gyara to be the weak link here because it opens up holes in my team. I like swampert but have never really used the cb variant but I'll see how that goes. The only problem with that scizor is that it serves a different role for my team. I prefer having more flexibilty and if scizor is more defensive then lucario is my main way to win. That does work sometimes but there are situations in which it is a must to use lucario early in he game and that is when scizor becomes the late game sweeper. i'm basically thinking that without him I'll lose too much power. I also don't see him being so useful because most of the pokemon he'll be messing up are walls which are not the main type of poke being used right now. Gyara and Heatran are very common switch-ins for scizor and they aren't threatened very much and the lack of u-turn makes magnezone jobs easy and removes my bait strategy with scizor and lucario. As for the physical part of the team it is quite simple. There is usually one or two pokemon that are going to slow the team down. I simply dish out as much damage as possible and that usually allows the team to sweep with ease. I found this to be more effective than constantly switching around and trying to predict around my opponents team.

My current plan is to replace gyarados with swampert but maybe not choice band but rather just mixed or offensive and possibly adding in roar. If I don't give him cb then I will probably change scizor to a choice band varient also. Thanks for the help.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Well since you asked nicely,

I'd much rather have Stealth Rock on your lead Infernape. If it is Swampert and Hippo that keep giving you problems, Encore lead Infernape really helps since Swampert will generally Stealth Rock the turn where you are down to your Sash, and Encoring that will give you vital information on the oposing team, like what their first switch into Infernape is, what kind of team they are running, and most importantly with Stealth Rock down as soon as possible, you can differentiate Choiced mons from other variants. The most crucial of these is Rotom A, because Scarf Rotom A can really ruin this team, and even more so with restalk Rotom A. Payback is a strange choice on Gyarados, but you mention you are using Swampert over Gyarados for testing. Before I continue, here is the lead Ape set.

Infernape (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 60 Atk/196 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Encore
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Heatran helps to somewhat alleviate your Rotom A weakness since the most crippling move Rotom runs, Will O Wisp, is beneficial to Heatran. Scarf Tran would likely be the best replacement since it can revenge kill SD Luke while still having strong base 106 Defenses to take hits with. Most importantly, this gives you a fire resist that isn't Stealth Rock weak (unless you have decided on Swampert, in which case disregard the fire resist) and also gives you something that can force painful switches against unprepared teams until you are ready to unleash Lucario late game to sweep through a weakened core.

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Hidden Power Electric is so Gyarados does not have an easy time setting up. Speaking of which, if you use CBScizor you absolutely have to use Quick Attack so Gyarados does not set up.

Now that I think about it, if Swampert is being used as a makeshift specsjolt counter, why not just use Porygon2? It helps soooo much against Gyarados since not even LODD Gyara is really doing much, and also helps against DDMence and SpecsJolt cant touch it at all barring HP Grass which does pitiful damage. Just a suggestion so you don't have to worry about Gyarados so much, and it also frees up a Heatran moveslot for Explosion as a last ditch effort.

Thanks for the help. The only thing about replacing Gyara is Gliscor might be a bit more of a threat now. I am really considering on changing the basic plan for the team and making it into bulky offensive. I will probably be testing for a while so I think it is best that a mod just lock this as I will probably make a new( and nicer looking) rmt in a few weeks.

Just a little thing to inform you, if you keep the CB Gyarados on your team, I suggest you use Bite instead of Payback, since Payback only has a BP of 50 when you strike first, and since Gyarados is faster than Celebi, there's no point in having it. Bite has 60 BP and a chance to flinch, which can give Gyarados the upper-hand against Celebi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)