Password Management sites/ apps

Do you use Password Management apps/ browser installments?

• No, I can't be bothered.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Yes but only software serial codes

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Yes but only for small websites without much personal info

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Yes, I put everything on them.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • No, they are definitely not safe.

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I wonder if any of you use any Password Management websites/ apps/ or browser installments at all?

Basically, you input your passwords from different websites into the app, and the next time you visit that website, the app will auto-fill your password and username for you.
You'd need one master password to use the app though, but that means you only need to remember one password.
So it works sort of like a master key.
Examples of such apps are Dashlane, LastPass, 1Password, and many more (there are many competitors)

Personally, I think it sounds very convenient, but it doesn't feel very safe-- if someone hacks the Password Manager, then they'd have access to all the passwords you have input.

So, I tried using them out of curiosity, and so far, I have only input my passwords for several forums. (e.g. Smogon, Bulbaforums, Pokebeach, etc), my serial key for some art softwares (e.g. ArtRage Lite and openCanvas) , and my dad's address. (In which I didn't fill in my dad's name, I only typed "dad" for the name)

I don't think I plan to add my social media passwords into the app.

=======================

But anyway, I've tried Dashlane and LastPass because they have free versions.

With Dashlane,
I had to download a software, together with installing extensions in my browsers. I find it quite annoying to be honest.
Certain features don't seem to work.
However, I read that Dashlane has better security.

With LastPass,
I only had to install extensions in my browsers. No downloading required. I find it quite easy to use.
It is also easy to find official tutorials on how to use it.
I think I'd prefer LastPass for now.

I use LastPass free at home and my company uses LastPass Enterprise. If you are interested in a low-cost paid solution I would recommend 1Password. I strongly disagree with anyone saying that these applications are not safe. It's not accurate to say that if someone hacks the password manager they have access to all your passwords. Your passwords are still encrypted and unless someone can break the encryption key having access to an encrypted database of passwords is meaningless. LastPass was breached not too long ago and no passwords were compromised in the process.

Kaiju Bunny

♥・゚: * ̄(♡ㅅ♡❀) ̄
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Art Leader
Fwiw, I personally use Dashlane myself (though tbh the biggest reason for it was because it seemed to already be installed into my laptop when I got it). I enjoy the fact that it automatically saves passwords, should you choose to save them anyhow, and even gives you the option to make new passwords should you feel that your current ones could be cracked easily, or something else. Of course, this is all based on my own experience for it, so I can't speak for everyone, nor can I really say much about LastPass since I've never used it. On the point of hacking into the apps, browsers, etc., I can only say that I feel it'd be fairly difficult to tap into, but again, my knowledge on that kinda stuff is uh... Not so great ;w;

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I use LastPass free at home and my company uses LastPass Enterprise. If you are interested in a low-cost paid solution I would recommend 1Password. I strongly disagree with anyone saying that these applications are not safe. It's not accurate to say that if someone hacks the password manager they have access to all your passwords. Your passwords are still encrypted and unless someone can break the encryption key having access to an encrypted database of passwords is meaningless. LastPass was breached not too long ago and no passwords were compromised in the process.
I see. I know very little about hacking and encryption.
Right now, I think I'm happy with the free version of LastPass.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am, believe it or not, an expert in this field. I use LastPass. It is not perfect. Tavis Ormandy has found vulnerabilities in the past, some of them serious. I firmly believe that despite this, it's still the correct thing to do to use a password manager. Despite the vulnerabilities, the benefits of having actually-strong and different passwords on all places I log in are too good to, if you'll excuse the pun, pass up.

LastPass adds a lot of convenience on top of the password vault, around auto-filling (both manually and truly automatic) and the sharing functionality. This can mean a larger attack surface. If that bothers you, you should use a less capable password manager. But I strongly believe that you should use a password manager.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I use Keepass, though I am currently working out what I should change to because it stopped working on one of my Macbooks after a recent update. It doesnt automatically transfer passwords between devices, I do that myself.

But just to cover the security side of things, your alternatives are to re-use passwords or to memorise everything. Both of these are less safe than using a password manager.

If you are memorising passwords then you are almost certainly using very simple passwords, because otherwise its impossible to do it. I have fewer than 10 passwords that I have actually memorised and over 200 passwords in my password safes. They are ones that I need to use often and if I dont use them for a while I can sometimes struggle to recall them.

And if you are reusing passwords then you have no security at all. Any website you give your password to can do anything with it. Basically unless you trust every single website you use more than you trust a password manager, then you should be using a password manager. And by trust I mean trust that they are not being malicious and trust that they are better at protecting your passwords than the companies whose primary task it is to protect peoples passwords.

I won't use any password managers that leave the database in someone else's possession. I do use KeePass, which doesn't communicate with the internet and supports plugins for things like TOTP. Bitwarden has caught my attention as well, but I have no firsthand experience with it. It lets you self-host the entire infrastructure on your own.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I couldn't bear the thought of having one that is purely a local lockbox. It means you'd need to have parallel lockboxes on each device you have, so realistically minimum 2 (computer and phone), maybe 3 (tablet). And any time you change one you need to change the others. No thanks.

LastPass is so user-friendly (and quite secure). The main thing about it that had annoyed me for a long time was not integrating well with most apps on phones, which has been improved recently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)