SM OU (Peaked 107th in 64 games) Digimon Masters: Zard X Edition

What's a bigger digimon?

• Total voters

Marigold

formerly KuraiTenshi26

Fell shy of reqs, but it's okay. I made my point about Zard X.

Ask any top player about Charizard X, and you're often given phrases along the lines of:
"Ah yes, I love my digimon" ~ NJNP

I took it upon myself to make teams around what are considered digimon, though that's partially because I got bored with building overly standard stuff. I'm not big on absolute cream teams, but rather standard ones that utilize some underrated threats.

I gotta ask, what is a digimon? Imo there are 3 criteria to a digimon:
1) it must have some negative stigma about using it
2) it must have some valuable niche that people are too lazy to use in favor over sample teams
3) there must be some refusal to use it because "my favourite top player said it's bad"

In other words, unexplored.

Zard X fulfills all of these criteria. In terms of niches, it can check huge threats to offense such as non-fairium z Magearna, Volcarona, Zard Y, Koko, Manectric-M...

Zard X also capitalizes on the strong fear of its mega counterpart and can ko most Zard Y switch-ins on the switch (Zygarde, Garchomp, Lati@s, etc) or use them as setup fodder (Mantine, vincune, etc). It also enjoys Fini's OU usage being very low in favor of other defoggers (like mew, which is also setup fodder), not to mention the declined usage of scarf Garchomp/Lando-T in favor of z crystal sets.

It can destroy commonly spammed archetypes such as flyspam, veil offense, Diancie fairy spam, non-quag stall, etc nearly on its own.

Let's get into the teambuilding process.

The anti-meta itself, I started with this monster.
I wanted a way to draw in grass types that zard x can set up on. Also, friends of mine know how much I adore Tapu Koko in general.
If one looks at the typings, zard x + ferrothorn have absurdly good type synergy. Also gives hazards, a basically mandatory steel type, and a water resist. Also draws in magnezone or celesteela, read: setup fodder for zard x.
Where there's a charizard, there's a mew. I also needed a way to check lopunny-m, medicham-m, zygarde, etc, all of which are very threatening to first three mons I put together.
A much-needed ground immunity and volt-turn completer, I also needed a second means to strongly pressure stall in case zard x isn't enough.
Needed a scarfer that can deal with volcarona, also makes a cool dragon spam core with Zard X and ground spam with lando-t. Also has very nice synergy with the lando-t set I chose.

The Sets

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

This set got so much better with Dugtrio's non-existence. Specs Koko not only draws in grass types that zard x can set up on, but is capable of demolishing defensive lando-t for zard x to capitalize on. Also eases prediction against greninja/garchomp scenarios with a specs dazzling gleam, removing a threat to the team either way. It can also nab a surprise ohko against Diancie-M, which can threaten this team depending on the set.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

With the resurgence of heatran and ttar and toxapex's bulky stupidity dominance, I feel that the EQ set is the best set. A huge anti-meta threat for reasons explained above, Zard X is capable of ripping through many of the frequently spammed teams after a ddance. Not even toxapex 1v1's this as they switch into a +1 Zard X, take 70 from an eq as they haze, and have to recover as Zard X ddances again, resulting in a situation where toxapex is beaten up.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

The most standard of Ferrothorn sets, we run dual stab cause I need to slap Fini for Zard X, and to roll into SG Magearna. I need rocks and leech seed is obligatory recovery.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

The defogger that basically every Zard team needs, the EV spread avoids 2hko's from lopunny and ensures I outspeed jolly landorus to ohko with ice beam, which is super helpful for Zard X and my two ground types.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Gravity
- Fly

This set pivots and breaks all over stall, while also forming a cool groundspam core with scarfchomp. Gravity eases on the repeated predictions that smack down would require vs stall, as you can simply gravity then u-turn to garchomp as you break sturdy. You can also bluff scarf with repeated hard-hitting u-turns, and then catch the grass type sleeping.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

The classic scarf set that revenge kills volcarona and can capitalize on gravity alongside lando-t. Not much to be said here tbh.

Threats: Scarf lando-t/garchomp, Ash Gren, Quagsire/Pyukumuku/Slowbro Stall

Rip it apart, call out the issues, let's make the team even better.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Gravity
- Fly

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

DNNP

There is always next year
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I must agree with your analysis of threats. Your stall match-up is, well, garbage. You have no real way of breaking Quagsire and because your Zard lacks Roost, you basically can't switch in if entry hazards are up. I know you like EQ, but you already have two ground types, as well as specs Koko, to deal with Pex + Heatran, so there isn't really a reason to carry EQ. And although Mew is one of the most reliable defoggers, lacking Roost on Zard leads it to being worn down by opposing electric types, Toxic, or any weather conditions.

I would say change Earthquake -> Roost on Zard X. At least you have some form of recovery, allowing you to do what you said in the beginning, which is use Vincune, Mantine, etc. as set-up fodder. Without Roost, it is too easy to be revenge killed.

I also agree that your Ash-Gren Matchup is less than stellar. Ferrothorn is a semi-check to Gren, and Koko can deal with it pre-Ash form, but once it gets a kill, or wears down Ferrothorn enough, it basically steamrolls your team. There are a couple of things you could do to amend this.

1. You could switch Ferrothorn -> AV Tangrowth and then change U-Turn -> Stealth Rocks on Landorus. This will not only aid your Greninja issue, but also help out against Rain, which I see as another weakness.

2. You could also replace switch Scarf Garchomp -> Scarf Bulu. Now I know you have Chomp to revenge kill Volcarona, but if hazards aren't up, ZardX can deal with Volcarona, as Flare Blitz is a OHKO and it can't kill you at +1. I get that this basically involves sacking Zard, but it is a trade-off to sacking vs. Volc or sacking vs. Gren. Finally, Bulu also aids you vs. Rain and Grassy Terrain is super helpful to reduce damage from EQ that is aimed at Zard, Koko or even Ferrothorn, and the extra passive recovery can be game-changing. (It does weaken the power of Lando too)

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 232-274 (78.1 - 92.2%)
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 363-427 (116.7 - 137.2%)

I wouldn't worry too much about Scarf Lando or Chomp. Although both are annoying, your Lando handles Scarf Lando and Lando + Ferro deal with scarf Chomp. Also remember that Zard X outspeeds scarf Lando at +1 and will be at neutral attack, so a Flare Blitz does a huge chunk.

252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 277-327 (86.8 - 102.5%)

A couple of final notes:
Feel free (if you don't like any of the changes above) to switch out U-Turn on Landorus for Stealth Rocks and put Spikes on Ferrothorn. Double hazards can be nice against offense matchups. Or, if you feel that you need some extra pressure against stall, you can put Swords Dance over U-Turn to tear through teams with a weakened Quag/Clef.

It also an option to put Knock Off over Ice Beam on Mew, although I prefer Ice Beam with your team.

An option for Chomp is to run Rock Tomb. I like this move solely because it allows you to stop things like DD Mega Gyarados or Dragonite from getting out of hand with Speed Boosts.

Lastly, as a playstyle note, use Koko super aggresively. If you think a Suicune or Pex is coming in, double to Koko. That thing, with Specs, can hit like a truck. Don't be afraid to just spam Tbolt, even if there is a Ferrothorn/Tangrowth on the other side. Also, HP Fire is a huge consideration, as it will murk any Excadrill or Ferrothorn that comes in on you. HP Ice really is only for Lando, Chomp and Zygarde. The latter two are wrecked by Dazzling Gleam already, and Lando won't be taking more than one Specs Dazzling Gleam.

I apologize for the long, unorganized reply. I'm running low on sleep. The team look fun, hopefully you continue to find success with it, and I'm sorry to hear about the Suspect Reqs. Good luck and keep on rolling

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)