Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

I, too, would love to run Lee, if I lived where you did. I looked up one of your posted running routes and I was baffled by how much green was occupying google maps. So much nature! I could stand to live in the boonies for a few years of my life anyways.

I have made some decent progress with my fitness level, made a almost 2 minute improvement in my mile 9:21> 7:33. It's still shit but, I'm making progress, and I hope to get it to around 6:00 by May. In the 60 second push-up test I went from 23 to 37, a big improvement because I've been doing quite a bit Resistance Training, with the main emphasis on my chest and arms. I'm still at around 165lbs as of a few weeks ago, but I feel like my arms are a little bigger, and I have a little less fat. I'm trying to cut, but I don't want to lose any of the muscle I've gained

In a couple of days I'm starting a 31 day high-protein arm specialization workout routine. Basically I'm gunna be working out 3 times a week, with a different specialized arm workout for each day, and my diet will be consisting of only foods with protein (eggs, chicken, cheese, meat, maybe fish). I'm also gunna buy protein powder to have a protein shake to drink at least 3 times a day. Anyone know how much protein I should buy for a whole month?

If you have 6 evenly spaced things with protein throughout the day, with 1/6 of your bodyweight in lbs in grams of protein each meal you should be getting about the right amount.

In a couple of days I'm starting a 31 day high-protein arm specialization workout routine. Basically I'm gunna be working out 3 times a week, with a different specialized arm workout for each day, and my diet will be consisting of only foods with protein (eggs, chicken, cheese, meat, maybe fish). I'm also gunna buy protein powder to have a protein shake to drink at least 3 times a day. Anyone know how much protein I should buy for a whole month?
just LOL @ this

I thought about correcting all the shit wrong with this but there's just too much wrong and so little right

I feel like if you for whatever reason want to work out one body part and ignore everything else, it should be your core
And that's still stupid

Just to be clear, I'm NOT ignoring other parts of my body. It's a regular workout routine that involves arms, legs, chest, shoulders, back and abs. The only difference is that I'm gunna do a couple of specific arm exercises each day I go to the gym. I'm not gunna end up with huge arms and a skinny torso.

popemobile, i know you're trying really hard, but you aren't helping me at all

dis you bro?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
the program he links to includes squats fyi

but there's still a problem in that you're not going to be doing much exercise on a 'diet consisting of only foods with protein' since it is the worst of the macronutrients in terms of energy sources and you're going to miss out on 80% of the micronutrients so your body isn't going to function or grow properly, you are vastly overestimating or misunderstanding what protein actually does.

If you have 6 evenly spaced things with protein throughout the day, with 1/6 of your bodyweight in lbs in grams of protein each meal you should be getting about the right amount.

read this

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

you dont even need an awful lot of protein, you sound like you are probably going to eat a lot more than is needed and protein is expensive. Also the whole meal timings and eating throughout the day is BS , its not important when you eat it, just that you eat it, at the end of the day calories in vs calories is all that matters.

Ever seen a tree with branches thicker than its trunk? Google 'strength training' if you wanna get bigger.
no.... google strength training if you want to get stronger, if you want to get bigger google hypertrophy training.

Ummm what? Just follow the 1 gram per pound of your bodyweight rule. Any extra, while not necessarily bad in anyway, isn't going to help you gain extra muscle. At that rate you'd be getting through those whey powder tubs in like a week lol. Save your money and be realistic.
1 gram per pound of protein is still an unecessary amount, the link above cites a number of studies showing that around 0.75g/lb is the maximum amount of protein you need.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ummm what? Just follow the 1 gram per pound of your bodyweight rule. Any extra, while not necessarily bad in anyway, isn't going to help you gain extra muscle. At that rate you'd be getting through those whey powder tubs in like a week lol. Save your money and be realistic.

I was just following what it advised me to do in the link I posted. I'm gunna see how it goes by doing what you guys said and not taking excessive amounts of protein. I'll try to post before and after pictures, if there's a distinct change.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Also the whole meal timings and eating throughout the day is BS , its not important when you eat it, just that you eat it, at the end of the day calories in vs calories is all that matters.
Untrue. It matters to metabolism. Here is my way to explain it to people:

Think of your metabolism like a fire, and food is kindling/fuel for the fire. If you don't feed the fire enough fuel, it will slowly die out, and if you feed it too much, you will put it down. Do not over- or under-eat.

Also, think about the kind of fuel you are feeding to the fire. If you throw a bunch of plastic chairs on a bonfire, yes, they will burn, but they will burn slowly and awfully and you'll get cancer from the fumes. But if you feed a bonfire nice dry chopped logs, it will burn strong and healthy all night long. Garbage in, garbage out.

Untrue. It matters to metabolism. Here is my way to explain it to people:

Think of your metabolism like a fire, and food is kindling/fuel for the fire. If you don't feed the fire enough fuel, it will slowly die out, and if you feed it too much, you will put it down. Do not over- or under-eat.

Also, think about the kind of fuel you are feeding to the fire. If you throw a bunch of plastic chairs on a bonfire, yes, they will burn, but they will burn slowly and awfully and you'll get cancer from the fumes. But if you feed a bonfire nice dry chopped logs, it will burn strong and healthy all night long. Garbage in, garbage out.
source? everything I've read says that intermittent fasting type diets won't slow your metabolism, and will help lose weight or even gain weight (warrior diet, for example). Going to an extreme and not eating for too long (like entire days or even multiple days) can have detrimental effects (starvation mode, for example), but your metabolism will work just fine even if you skip a few meals or fast or eat some cheat meals. calories in vs. calories out is king

obviously I'm not suggesting "hey eat twinkies all day on a deficit whenever you want and you'll be just fine" (although ironically there was a study of a guy doing this, losing weight, and being relatively healthy), but as long as you eat relatively clean and hit the macros you want to hit during the periods of time you want to eat, it really does not matter what you eat or when you eat it.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
try strength training for 5 years before trying that kind of program. you might actually see decent results that way
why would he strength train when he's trying to gain mass?

mass and strength are 2 different things. don't try to correct if you don't know shit either.

milos;

it will pretty much be almost hard to see any gains in mass. you have the right idea; lift a lot and eat a lot. you seemed to be on the right path when it comes to the protein part as well. the lifting part might need a few tweaks though.

when you're trying to gain size, higher reps and lower sets are very essential. when you're trying to gain strength, lower reps and higher sets are essential. you will be looking to do higher reps and lower sets. since you want to focus on arms, then I would advice biceps and triceps workouts, putting a bit more focus on triceps, since they make 2/3rds of your arm (many people don't realize this and over-do bicep curls etc)

this should be useful for picking out workouts: http://www.exrx.net/

I would recommend barbell curls and close grip bench press for both biceps and triceps.

i gotta run right now, but hmu if you need help

why would he strength train when he's trying to gain mass?

mass and strength are 2 different things. don't try to correct if you don't know shit either.
try being big and not strong. go on, I'll wait.

starting a beginner with a program focused mainly on gaining mass is a great way to have them peak early and see subpar results

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
try being big and not strong. go on, I'll wait.

starting a beginner with a program focused mainly on gaining mass is a great way to have them peak early and see subpar results
it's not the right thing to do but who gives a shit? chances are he's not even doing it for athletic purposes. there is a difference for lifting for athletic purposes and looking good. your purposes for trying to make his weightlifting decisions boil down to your thoughts relating broscience.

have them peak early? how are they going to peak if they're not setting a lifting goal in the first place? he's lifting enough to he can get 12 reps out. he's not lifting big so he feels the burn at the 5th rep. you are saying he's gonna peak like if he curls 65 pounds in the beginning he's gonna get suck there for life. this is how some weightlifters increment weight when plates are actually scarce for them; can't afford more plates.

like I said, if you're going to try and laugh at somebody, at least make sure the correction is actually..correct.

read this

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

you dont even need an awful lot of protein, you sound like you are probably going to eat a lot more than is needed and protein is expensive. Also the whole meal timings and eating throughout the day is BS , its not important when you eat it, just that you eat it, at the end of the day calories in vs calories is all that matters.
It says in that article "The picture below summarizes the literature. As you can see, 1.8g/kg (0.82g/lb) is the point at which additional protein intake ceases to yield any benefits.", which you probably should've told him rather than "not an awful lot".

so, with the first semester of school ending, I've been lifting seriously for about 4 months. I've gained 10 lbs, to put me at 5'9" and 135. Obviously I'm still underweight and i plan to keep gaining, but i'm proud of the progress i've made so far (tho my gains probably haven't been meeting their full potential due to flaws in my diet)

i'm definitely glad for the advice to focus more on my back (and to add squats to my routine!)

#Updatesthatpeopledon'tcareabout

two questions

first of all, how often should i do ab stuff? i've always thought of core strength as something that just sorta needed work everyday, but i now realize that i know nothing about fitness and maybe i should just train abs like any other muscle group. thoughts?

also, how do you guys get motivated to do cardio? jesus fuck i hate running

it's not the right thing to do but who gives a shit? chances are he's not even doing it for athletic purposes. there is a difference for lifting for athletic purposes and looking good. your purposes for trying to make his weightlifting decisions boil down to your thoughts relating broscience.

have them peak early? how are they going to peak if they're not setting a lifting goal in the first place? he's lifting enough to he can get 12 reps out. he's not lifting big so he feels the burn at the 5th rep. you are saying he's gonna peak like if he curls 65 pounds in the beginning he's gonna get suck there for life. this is how some weightlifters increment weight when plates are actually scarce for them; can't afford more plates.

two questions

first of all, how often should i do ab stuff? i've always thought of core strength as something that just sorta needed work everyday, but i now realize that i know nothing about fitness and maybe i should just train abs like any other muscle group. thoughts?

also, how do you guys get motivated to do cardio? jesus fuck i hate running
I'd say since the abs are like any other muscle, you unsurprisingly treat them like any other muscle. Every day for flat abs with endurance, destroy them once a week for strength and deep ridges.

Cardio is a challenge for pretty much everyone I believe, but one thing you can do is mix jumping jacks / jogging in place / jump rope etc. in your weight workouts. Just fill the gap in between sets to keep yourself working the whole time (take a 5-10 s breather at times if you need it) and you'll probably have done some pretty tough cardio for a long enough time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)