Project Player Of The Week Revived: Week 5 - Chloe

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Chloe
Favorite Pokemon: Vileplume
Most used Pokemon: Mudsdale
Most known for: Room Mod
TJ: Hey Chloe, how are you doing today?
Chloe: Hi TJ, I'm doing quite well :), thanks for asking, how about yourself?
TJ: Im doing well, I've been spending time with family and enjoying Easter.

TJ: Can you tell us a little about yourself outside of Smogon?
Chloe: I'm Chloe, I go by Chloe irl. I'm 20 and I live in Sydney, Australia. I studied Computer Science for two years but now I'm currently studying interpreting and translation, focusing on French and Spanish. I have an office job that I go in for two days a week, so that's alright. Generally don't get up to too much at the moment but hopefully that should change when mid year uni break comes.

TJ: How and when did you get into competitive Pokemon? What drew you to PU?
Chloe: I got into competitive Pokemon in 2014, after finding Pokemon Showdown randomly. I played OMs and AG for a while, led AG for a few years, was OM forum mod for a few years. Very fun section but the metagames get very stale after playing with the exact same Pokemon for years. I eventually grew bored of those and tried moving on to usage tiers. PU stuck out as a really fun tier with a nice welcoming community so I decided to stick around and try to learn it. I'm really enjoying it at the moment and I hope it stays that way over time.

TJ: How does it feel being the newest PU roommod?
Chloe: It feels good, idk. PU room is genuinely one of the better rooms on Showdown so it's really quite relaxing to moderate.

TJ: What are your thoughts on the current meta? What do you think is underrated atm?
Chloe: The current metagame is really enjoyable. Unsure how I feel about Lilligant. It definitely restricts teambuilding to a borderline unhealthy extent. Not sure if it's that far above other potent set-up sweepers. As for underrated Pokemon, I end up using Mudsdale a lot more than I probably should but I do believe that it's a top 6 or 7 Pokemon. Ludicolo is another cool Pokemon that should see a lot more usage on non-rain as no one ever has any answers for it. Huge fan of Lurantis, Metang and Abomasnow which are all kinda underrated. I got swept by a Z-Sing Chatot the other day so I feel compelled to say that's underrated too.

TJ: What advice would you give to new players starting out in PU?
Chloe: Try out a lot of different Pokemon on the VR and see what works for you. It took me a while to start using Pokemon like Tangela, which I have issues building without now. Watch your replays, see where you're going wrong, what your team fails to prepare sufficiently for, etc. Untier Talk is pretty good and helped me out a fair bit when I was starting out in PU. Don't use Hitmonchan.

TJ: Who are some of your favorite people on Smogon?
Chloe: Huge fan of a lot of people in PU, probably too many people to list here, but people like Specs, dibs, Megazard, HJAD, curiosity, and you are all really cool. As for other parts of the site there's way too many people to list here but some of my favourites would be vivalospride, TheCoastsOfToast, eht, GL Volkner, and Pigeons,

TJ: Who do you hate on Smogon?
Chloe: yogi 100%

TJ: Can you name any up and coming players showing good potential?
Chloe: I'm definitely not the best judge of this given that I'm relatively new to PU myself, but KellyKafka is definitely a solid teambuilder and could definitely see tournament success if he continues to play the tier. tlenit1 does really well on the ladder and should get involved with tournaments. His teams are really unconventional and that's the kind of thing that can get people tournament wins.

TJ: Should Specs name change to spanks jiggles?
Chloe: No :c I'm not gonna call someone Spanks everytime I speak to them zzz.

TJ: Favorite Movie / TV Show?
Chloe: My favourite movie is Shutter Island, but I really watch way too many movies. Close seconds are Memento and The Sixth Sense. I also love the Marvel Cinematic Universe a bit too much and watch all the accompanying films and TV shows. Super big fan of Agents of Shield. People like to call me a weeb a lot but I've literally never finished an anime in my life :x

TJ: Finally, could you give us a cool team and briefly explain it?
Chloe:

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 Def
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Bullet Punch

Lurantis @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Leaf Storm
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Facade

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Roost

Mudsdale @ Figy Berry
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 32 Def / 164 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

This team has a lot of my favourite Pokemon to use, and it did quite well in seasonal. Essentially it's Metang which is criminally underrated defensively, paired with a Lurantis which freely comes in on Mudsdale and removes SR easily. Metang can switch into stuff like Aurorus and Dodrio for Lurantis. Stoutland provides a much better offensive presence, while aiding Eelektross matchup. Jellicent removes Fighting-type weakness, helps matchup against random stuff like Simisear and Combusken, gives the team a better physically defensive blanket than Lurantis. Pom Pom is mainly for Lilligant matchup but also helps against Gurdurr which can give Jellicent a hard time once statused. Helps with a lot of random Grass-types, gives the team a Ground-type immunity. Finally SpDef Mudsdale, which I find myself slotting onto every team, I don't remember what the EVs do as I've used the set for months. One of the better Stealth Rock setters in the tier, doesn't lose to much other than potentially Grass-types which are dealt with by Pom Pom, Lurantis and Metang easily. The biggest issue with this team is easily checking Nasty Plot Persian-A. If Stoutland, Mudsdale, Pom Pom are weakened enough; Persian-A can essentially sweep after a couple boosts. This team would be aided significantly by good speed control, the fastest Pokemon is Pom Pom (lol) and there's no Choice Scarf user, but being a relatively defensive Balance team it isn't too huge of a deal against virtually everything except the aforementioned Persian-A. Definitely something I wouldn't bring to ladder, but in tournaments it can be a solid pick.

TJ: Thanks for your time, Chloe! As always, if you guys have your own questions, feel free to ask them below! :blobthumbsup:

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
100% truth here: Are you a weeb?
Which OM voice is most immediately deserving of demotion
If you had to free one Pokemon from anywhere higher than NUBL and have it be healthy or else you'd get banned from Smogon (assume for the sake of this question that getting banned is something horrible and not a favor in disguise), which Pokemon would be your best chance at staying free and why?
Who's an up and coming PU player?
What would be the least unbalanced Uber in the tier?
Why do you NEVER play mc w/ me :(

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
1. 100% truth here: Are you a weeb?
2. Which OM voice is most immediately deserving of demotion
3. If you had to free one Pokemon from anywhere higher than NUBL and have it be healthy or else you'd get banned from Smogon (assume for the sake of this question that getting banned is something horrible and not a favor in disguise), which Pokemon would be your best chance at staying free and why?
4. Who's an up and coming PU player?
5. What would be the least unbalanced Uber in the tier?
6. Why do you NEVER play mc w/ me :(
1. No, I'm not a weeb :[
2. All of them including you
3. Uxie easily, I wanted it two major shifts ago and RU stole it :(
4. I answered this in the interview nerd
5. Aegislash? I don't know, they'd all be horribly overpowered.
6. Because you always ask when I'm busy :[

1. Being that slam and snake are sorta kinda approaching and this will be Pu's first appearance, are there any mains you are looking forward to seeing in action and why?
2. will you be managing/playing in ompl?
1. I always love watching Ktut play because you never know what he's going to bring. HJAD is always fun to watch. Literally anyone would be entertaining to watch, should be fun.
2. Managing probably but idk

1. What will you be voting for in this upcoming suspect test?
2. What's your favourite food?
3. Does pineapple belong on pizza? (no)
1. I have no idea what I'm going to vote yet but I am very glad this suspect test is happening.
2. I love a lot of food, laksa is pretty good, pizza too even if that's a basic response.
3. Yes, pineapple is great. I wouldn't go out of my way to order pineapple pizza though.

1. ur my fricking potw
2. Why is allstarapology the greatest
3. If PU had to unban one thing for whatever reason what would you look forward to use more
4. Why is it that every time I spectate your game you're losing to a 100000 IQ set
5. What is your favourite ice type and why are they all lowkey broken
1. :blobbucket:
2. Because asa is rly rly cool and great
3. I mean if we could unban literally anything that I could abuse without considering whether the tier would be healthy or not, something like Ho-Oh would be fun. If it had to be from PUBL, Tauros could be pretty fun, idk. It's hard to say because I didn't really get to test half of them when they were in the tier. :[ I personally want Kingler and maybe Houndoom unbanned if I'm answering that from a balance standpoint.
4. Because Z-Sing Chatot, Z-Splash Endure Flail Lopunny and Paraflinch Mesprit are all broken.
5. I use defensive Alolan Sandslash a lot, I don't really like using many offensive Ice-types but Choice Scarf Abomasnow is really fun to use.

What's your favorite and least favorite playstyle?
I mostly use bulky offense builds so I guess that. For least favourite, I definitely dislike stall, even when using it.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
1. Would you change anything about Competitive Pokemon? If so, what?
2. What is one underrated set that you think should be used more (that isnt z sing Chatot LOL.)
3. What do you think of Guzzlord?
4. Not a question but thank you for sticking up for the #nospanks movement c:

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Bonjour!
1) If Lilligant gets banned, could mudsdale become broken?
2) Do you secretly think scyther is OP?
3) Is AG more balanced than it looks like at first glance?
4) What's worse: geoxern or lilligant? CB mray or CB stout?
5) Why is smeargle viable only in Ubers and AG but is ZU?
6) Absol or faticate? Bellossom or shiinotic?

Thx in advance :]

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Why is Silvally-Grass the best form
it's not, if u want a grass type defogger use lurantis :c the set you posted earlier looks like an altaria lure

1. Would you change anything about Competitive Pokemon? If so, what?
2. What is one underrated set that you think should be used more (that isnt z sing Chatot LOL.)
3. What do you think of Guzzlord?
4. Not a question but thank you for sticking up for the #nospanks movement c:
1. Hard to answer but I'd want Paralysis at 1/4 speed again but remove the full para chance. That sounds a lot more competitive than what it is currently.
2. Mons like Abomasnow and Ludicolo should both see more usage outside of weather teams. Otherwise like Bouffalant maybe.
3. I don't really know what to think, it seems cool, I glad we got it, but I don't really like using it too much. I really like CB though.
4. You're welcome!

Bonjour!
1) If Lilligant gets banned, could mudsdale become broken?
2) Do you secretly think scyther is OP?
3) Is AG more balanced than it looks like at first glance?
4) What's worse: geoxern or lilligant? CB mray or CB stout?
5) Why is smeargle viable only in Ubers and AG but is ZU?
6) Absol or faticate? Bellossom or shiinotic?

Thx in advance :]
1. I don't think it will become broken, it'll definitely be better but other Grass-types will still be a major hassle and regardless I don't think it is that significant a buff but idk.
2. Absolutely not, but it's definitely more viable than I used to think.
3. No, it's horrible to play :(
4. Lilligant I guess because like Xerneas isn't really near borderline unhealthy in AG. CB MRay for the latter maybe, I'm not sure.
5. Because the bigger mons have weird speed tiers. I know Moody definitely helps Smeargle's viability in AG but webs in general just becomes so much better in these tiers with big heavy statline mons.
6. Absol probably, haven't used Faticate in a long time. Bellossom for latter, underrated mon.

1. chloe plays mons?
2. what's the cutest pokemon besides drampa
3. why do you deny your rightful weebdom

Who do you like up to, and why?
Kanye West, Mesut Özil, imas234.
(source: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/om-interviews-26-om-room.3526356/page-21#post-6517357)

4. is this still true also snaq that's a p obvious typo smh
"I don't really like Zangoose"
5. Is this true I feel lied to
why did i stalk your old interview i feel creepy now
1. Sometimes, albeit badly
2. Vileplume is pretty darn cute
3. this is bad meme
4. It was never true, I really dislike Kanye West and I don't really follow soccer. imas tho ye 100%
5. Yea I never liked Zangoose and still can't justify using it in this tier.

Katy

Banned deucer.
We have a goodton of viable flying type pokemon in the PU tier, sure not every single mon is PU via usage but it has a viability there like Swanna., so there comes my question for you. What is your favorite flying type in the Pu tier and why would you recommend using it?
Speakin' of pokemon types, do you think Heatmor would be a better fire type if the speed stat would be much better? (Ik it is kinda theorymoning but I would like to read your thoughts on this).

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Chloe what are Your thoughts on pu team building rules? While there are semi viable cheese builds and team archetypes like weather, TR, webs and etc.

What are general things You nearly always need like in ou You're a madman if You lack a steel type on Your team

I think this is a tier that needs lures, speed control(scarf normally best), and win cons are critical

Also my only cheese team uses wimp out to force spinners and defog to leave up a spike and get trapped/hard checked like with NP mr. Mime

Scuttle bug (Wimpod) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Wimp Out
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Scald
- Toxic

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Love you so much. Chloe you are the sweetest heart and I'm so glad to have known you. Now my question is how do you like vegemite on toast?Do you like it with butter or cheese? Do you like to have your vegemite heavy or light and would you like your bread toasted or not?

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Do you prefer to build with Safeguard or Moonblast on Bellossom?
What tends to be in your mind when you build, especially for tours? Do you think it's better to try and build for an advantageous matchup against an opponent or stick to what you're comfortable using?
Lastly, thoughts on peanut butter? What's the best drink to unglue your mouth afterwards?

Chloe

NUPL Champion
We have a goodton of viable flying type pokemon in the PU tier, sure not every single mon is PU via usage but it has a viability there like Swanna., so there comes my question for you. (1) What is your favorite flying type in the Pu tier and why would you recommend using it?
(2) Speakin' of pokemon types, do you think Heatmor would be a better fire type if the speed stat would be much better? (Ik it is kinda theorymoning but I would like to read your thoughts on this).
1. Either Oricorio-E or Dodrio. Both are solid Lilligant answers, both consistently put in substantial work for me. Scarf Dodrio might be my favourite scarfer in the tier. I’ll go with Pom Pom though. It’s just amazing, it has a very limited amount of good switch-ins, it sets up against many Pokemon.
2. Ya if any subpar mon had a better stat line, I think that it would be better.

1. Chloe what are Your thoughts on pu team building rules? While there are semi viable cheese builds and team archetypes like weather, TR, webs and etc.
2. What are general things You nearly always need like in ou You're a madman if You lack a steel type on Your team
3. I think this is a tier that needs lures, speed control(scarf normally best), and win cons are critical
1. Rain and Hail can be great if built well, people don't prepare for sun at all so it can definitely put in work if built well. I don't really know how to feel about TR teams, they can be effective but I definitely would advise against using them a lot of the time. Sticky Web is just garbage though usually.
2. Good speed control is almost a necessity for anything not stall. Nothing else really comes to mind though other than the obvious "you need a check for x y and z"
3. You definitely don’t need lures. Speed control is beneficial in pretty much any tier. And yea you need a way to win.

1. Why do you deny that you're cute
2. Why do you deny that you're a furry

ps ily
1. How do I even answer this other than I’m not and you are.
2. Uh uh um.
ily2 :>

1. Do you have any general tips for someone trying to get into PU?
2. Are you sure you aren't a weeb?
1. Just try out everything you can until you find something that works for you. I can't really think of any advice I'd give for solely PU, all of it's kinda generic. I listed some of that stuff in the OP.
2. I'm not :c

Love you so much. Chloe you are the sweetest heart and I'm so glad to have known you. (1) Now my question is how do you like vegemite on toast? (2) Do you like it with butter or cheese? (3) Do you like to have your vegemite heavy or light and would you like your bread toasted or not?
ily2 <3
1. I don't like it, vegemite sucks and tastes horrible.
2. Neither, I'd rather just eat butter or cheese.
3. As light as possible, as in non-existent, as I really really dislike vegemite.

1. Do you prefer to build with Safeguard or Moonblast on Bellossom?
2. What tends to be in your mind when you build, especially for tours? Do you think it's better to try and build for an advantageous matchup against an opponent or stick to what you're comfortable using?
3. Lastly, thoughts on peanut butter? What's the best drink to unglue your mouth afterwards?
1. It was Safeguard before Guzzlord dropped, but I don't know now. I guess I'd have to check Guzzlord calcs, if MB OHKOs at +1 then probably MB.
2. I'll either find a mon I want to build around and just try to make it work, or if it's someone I'm not confident against I'll find one mon that usually does well against them and build around that. Definitely stick with what you're comfortable with.
3. Peanut butter is great, idk i don't really drink anything other than water so that I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)