ORAS OU Pliny and the Seasures (Peak #2)

pliny and the seasures.jpg

Since ORAS is pretty much over (except as an old gen), I want to show one of my favorite teams I built recently (during OLT season). This team helped me qualify during cycle 6, and even though I did not get a chance to use it in playoffs, I have used it outside of ladder a lot and have had a lot of fun using it.​

charizard-megax.gif

Charlie (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
Dragon Dance
Flare Blitz
Dragon Claw
Earthquake​

Charizard is a fire breathing dragon and one of the best megas in the game, both in terms of design and competitive viability. DD 3 attacks is probably the best set to use on offense, since it can muscle through pretty much anything (except quagsire, but RIP unaware in S&M) after some boosts, including heatran, which is usually a pain to face. Under screens, charizard becomes a much bigger threat since it is able to set up more easily and retain hp to use flare blitz and not die to recoil. Also, many people underestimate this mons power. Flare blitz at +0 (after a DD and intimidate) OHKOs scarf landorus-t after rocks and 2HKOs defensive landorus-t (while only taking ~50% from earthquake under a reflect). Usually, I send use charizard as an early game breaker for my other members to clean up. Other options for this set include outrage > dragon claw (since it 2HKOs quagsire), outrage > earthquake (since dragon claw is needed sometimes and a +1 outrage can dent heatran), and roost > earthquake (gives charizard more room to take flare blitz recoil).​

thundurus-therian.gif

Stevie (Thundurus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power [Ice]
Nasty Plot
Agility​

This thing is a cloud and its good at sweeping stuff. With bolt beam coverage and the bulk to set up (especially under screens), this mon can easily 6-0 offensive teams which use latios as their electric check. Its typing and ability (volt absorb) are also amazing, since they let it set up on several mons incluidng mega scizor, excadrill without rock slide, manectric, zapdos, tangrowth, and more. Leftovers is crucial since its typing allows it to brush off many priority moves and this spread has the bulk to take 30 - 40% from many neutral hits (it sets up on and destroys clefable). Another option for this set is to use hidden power flying over ice, since that can ohko amoonguss at +2, deal more damage to ferrothorn, and 6-0 shedinja stall teams (but those wont exist anymore).​

excadrill.gif

Brownie (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Earthquake
Iron Head
Rock Slide
Rapid Spin​

Scarf excadrill is a good spinner on offense because its fast and its not weak to stealth rocks. With jolly, it outspeeds Mega Alakazam, as well as being a check to various fast megas including Lopunny and Manectric. Because of its typing, it cant be twaved, and it can also check Clefable. Mold breaker earthquake is also incredibly useful for cleaning up late game after my sweepers have weakened the appropriate mons.​

suicune.gif

Doggy (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Scald
Calm Mind
Roar
Rest​

Suicune is an odd choice on offense, but it works amazingly well under screens. The calm mind roar set is most commonly seen on balance and bulky offense combined with hazards, however it works on this team since it is a status sponge and is capable of beating passive mons which rely on toxic to deal damage as well as being a blanket check to most bulky set up sweepers. Under screens, it shrugs off everything but the most powerful of attacks, and can be extremely threatening once it gets 2 or 3 calm minds. It also serves as the sand check as well as keldeo check of this team (secret sword can not 3hko without a crit, and i have fighting resists in case keldeo is locked into that), so it plays an important defensive role as well. Scald is also a good move, and is able to wear down checks to other mons on this team (a burned latios will have a harder time taking on thundurus). An alternative to this set is vincune (sub, calm mind, protect, scald), but i prefer this set since it has more natural bulk and serves as a status absorber in addition to being a win condition.​

bisharp.gif

Blackie (Bisharp) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Swords Dance
Knock Off
Sucker Punch
Iron Head​

Bisharp used to be a staple on most HO teams, but it fell out of favor. However, this works out since less people prepare for it (most bulky offense teams use landorus-t > garchomp as the ground type of choice and weavile is prepared for more than bisharp, making clefable the dark check on many teams). It benefits from the screens since steel/dark is a solid typing (outside of being 4x weak to fighting), and it punishes defog due to defiant. It has good synergy with charizard since it weakens ground types and potential twave users (since it has a lum berry). It also serves as the source of priority on this team as well as an offensive check to weavile, which is getting increasingly common. This set is pretty standard, so there is not much to say about it.​

azelf.gif

Pliny (Azelf) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA
Stealth Rock
Reflect
Light Screen
Taunt

Azelf grew to popularity due to xtra$hine birdspam team, and is now one of the most common stealth rock leads on HO. Most of the time it is sashed, but for this team, screens is important since the individual members benefit from it so much. However, this comes with the downside of not having a completely reliable lead, so more caution must be taken to avoid scarf tyranitar and weavile. Usually, it is best to save setting up screens for when something is likely to sweep under screens, and to try to break the opposing team beforehand. The EVs guarantee living jolly lopunny's fake out and return, but not adamant, so adamant must be played around. Despite not having a sash, it is still somewhat reliable at doing its job, and screens are crucial for the success of this team.​

ktt peeps: Moose 50, blarghlfarghl, Pokemon Trainer VEVO, CK James, thenewguy24, 100percentpureheat

All my friends in olt, including xtra$hine, Hiye, Empo, Blackoblivion, Vai Lusa, WECAMEASROMANS, Isza, patlop2307, Liones, Mounts, JohnYiu, Paycard

All my other friends

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)