Pokémon Lab brings odd Weather Fronts

With the release of Pokemon Lab, our online simulators get closer to implementing the cartridge games 100%. One of the biggest leaps forward in doing this, is the implementation of Weather as it occurs in Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver.

For those of you unfamiliar with how these Weather mechanics work, here is a basic summary:

If the host of a battle kills a fleeing Pokemon by using the move Pursuit, and any of the following field conditions are active, (Uproar, Gravity, Fog, Trick Room, Hail, Sun, or Sand) then a multiple weather effect field will start to occur.

For example, my Weavile kills your retreating Uxie with Pursuit, while it is Hailing. At the end of each turn now, Hail, Sun, Sand, and Rain (in that order) are all active, and they all damage Pokemon on the field for 1/16 health for each weather that is active. This means that all pokemon on the field would lose 25% health if the glitch was activated under Hail.

For the most recent (as far as I can tell) list of how abilites/moves work with this, please check this thread.

Now I have some questions to you all who have been playing on Pokemon Laboratory.

1) Did you even remember these would be programmed in?
2) Have you ever encountered this weather yet? Did it effect the battle a lot? Does it "feel" broken or abuseable?
3) Is it easy enough to attempt to set this up and abuse this weather as a viable strategy?

Finally, just a reminder that this is NOT a topic to discuss, once again, whether this should or shouldn't be on the ladder or if it's a "glitch" or not. It is only to discuss how this weather is on the simulator, and if it is at all as close to being broken as many suggested it might be.

(Note: Forecast and Flower Gift are currently unimplemented, so it is impossible to force ties right now)

Rhys DeAnno

Slacking Off
This has been somewhat adversely affecting my Mixtar, as I will often trigger Acid Weather by pursuiting, and then have either Skarmory come in to be neutral to Fire Blast, or Kingdra come into the rain with my Ttar on the field already (not the best situation). I don't think I've ever seen someone planning to do it yet though, and it hasn't lost me any matches, though one was quite close.

I've played about 100 battles and iirc it's happened ~5 times.

I'm so happy this is implimented. Do we know how Pokemon Lab determines the host? I plan on testing this out quite a bit and seeing how greatly it affects matches.

I hope this isn't off the topic but on wifi I just let other people host because I use TTar and although my team is suited for that Acid Rain, I don't like the disadvantage it gives to my opponent, and it's a clear disadvantage to them, especially since my strategy has to do with wearing them down via Sandstorm.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
I have played a lot, and I have never seen it activate. I use TTar, but still it never seems to activate. I also think that it would be easy to set up, but no one would because (I thought about this in the leadup to it being released) there are just too many weathers to control, so that there is no way of maintaing control of the battle. For instance, if you use the sun or SS part of it, someone can still send in a Kingdra, who as I understand it will rip up your team. This makes it unfeasable to try to use.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I get acid rain status a lot with my T-Tar, but it never seems to be terribly important in a battle. I understand that it could be abusable though...

Trying to make a team to abuse acid rain doesn't seem to hard, to be honest. Since SS is the most common weather condition, it'd basically be like making a sandstorm team, except all your non-SS-immune pokes lose a little health even with Lefties.
So far though, it certainly doesn't feel broken, at least not when its acid sandstorm. The few times it did occur in my matches, I barely even noticed it, and I don't think it played too big a factor in the outcome, if at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)