Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

Are we sure that it was a glitch? I mean Poison, Burn, and Leech Seed don't affect you if you KO a Pokemon. They also didn't acknowledge the ghost glitch (either that or Lick is extremely insignificant that they didn't bother even mentioning it)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It was removed in Stadium, which happened to have quite a few bug fixes. I'm pretty sure it's a glitch.

They indirectly acknowledged how Ghost was useless offensively when talking about Gengar. No mention of the glitch, but they more or less said its STAB was worthless and suggested running T-Bolt.

Last edited:
Holy shit, they acknowledged the Hyper Beam glitch.
They acknowledged many of the odd regularities of RBY. Like the critical/speed tiers (correctly stating that this makes Tauros and Persian quite gg). Wrap hax. They even reference the obviously broken Frozen status hence they recommend getting your Chansey poisoned before entering battle. They even reference that Gengar is now susceptible to ground attacks and that Snorlax isn't the powerhouse it would be in gen II.
Up till now I always assumed official websites to come out with shit like "Use your favourites" or "Try using a Typhlosion with Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Flame Wheel and Swift". Whoever wrote this obviously is obviously worth their salt (and needs to be hired by Gamefreak to teach them their own metagame so that they might balance things for a change).

Playing RBY again (admittedly I've only made it to Erika before getting kinda bored) has made me very thoughtful about the differences and the state of the new games. Nothing negative. But it is noticeable how you can get away with using mostly anything with little difficulty (with some exceptions). Can't complain about that though, power creep was always gonna happen even if the relative strength of Pokemon remained the same as long as the pool of available 'moms increased. One big thing that I've been thinking of though: I really wish Steel did not resist Normal. Normal is actually *good* offensively in RBY, and Rock types are actually good because they can switch into those common Normal moves. I really miss that. ((Plus it's not like Steel couldn't do with a nerf anyway.))

Another less pressing thing is... I kinda wish Hyper Beam kept it's old mechanics :V I'm sure it'd eventually break something, but at least it'd be usable. Outside of speedy MGardevoir or MPidgeot I can't think of too much that would benefit directly from it in OU anyway.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
With the re-release on Gen 1 on the VC, I've decided to give the games a spin, doing as much glitchy fun jank as I can. What are some funny things you can do that come to mind?

1) Everyone knows about the truck.
2) The Mew/any Pokemon glitch.
3) Can you catch the Tower Marowak?
4) Surfing behind Bill's House.
5) Creating hybrid Pokemon.
6) Missingno shenanigans.

I had some questions.

Just wanted to know if there was some way to generate a fossil Aerodactyl MISSINGNO in Yellow before Vermillion. I was also curious what its stats, type, and TM learnset would be.

Also, I wanted to know if I could use the Hybrid glitch to create a Dragon or Psychic type Pikachu, and if it would still follow me around after that.
Tagging TheMantyke

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-virtual-console.3555769/page-15#post-6691338 He did this here :) Hope this helps. No idea how this post got missed/ended up here but there is an answer for you.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is just a repost of some crazy ass glitch stuff I did from NeoGAF. Was gonna post it here, but then my health issues kicked in >_>

I messed around with 8F some more to hold me over for the Nintendo Direct and to take a break from the ORAS breeding rush I've been through today.

I decided to get the strange glitch Pokemon, O! http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/O_(glitch_Pokémon)

Yeah, looks like Magnemite, but the weird thing is just how many mons it evolves into!

I used 252 Repels to get this mofo, since thats its index number!

(The weird name is for getting Venusaur, Wartortle, and Mewtwo at Cinnabar at level 230)

Here's O attempting to evolve into Cubone at levle 6

Here's O trying to evolve into Nidoran Male at level 16. Supposedly, it can also evolve into an Arcanine, but it never did for me.

I settled on letting it evolve into Slowpoke. Weird thing not pictured (because I pushed B too soon): After this, it attempted to evolve again, this time turning into a Magikarp, and attempting to evolve into Nidoran AGAIN o_O. I backed out, and it turned back into a Slowpoke. Glitchmons are weird man!

Can't wait to get some other weird, not too harmful glitchmons with 8F!

How likely do we think it'll be for Fissure/OHKO moves to be nerfed so that No Guard doesn't apply? Because, seriously, I don't think GF is that silly.

How likely do we think it'll be for Fissure/OHKO moves to be nerfed so that No Guard doesn't apply? Because, seriously, I don't think GF is that silly.
There is a good chance that they completely forgot that Machamp can learn Fissure since it was so long ago. Or some men just want to watch the world burn, I dunno.

I personally think they'll either prevent Machamp from having No Guard when transferred from RBY to Gen VII, or they'll just leave it how it is and ban OHKO moves from competitive play.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't think Fissure Machamp will sport any problems from Game Freak's perspective. In official battles, OHKO moves are banned. In-game, you've got stuff like cover legendaries, Primals or Megas that one-hit-KO everything to exactly the same degree as Machamp will. In friendly battles, anything that flies or Levitates will be immune to Machamp shenanigans. Machamp hasn't got the best Speed or defenses either, so it's fairly easy to knock out. I'd say most Legendaries are already much more broken than Machamp will be.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think Fissure Machamp will sport any problems from Game Freak's perspective. In official battles, OHKO moves are banned. In-game, you've got stuff like cover legendaries, Primals or Megas that one-hit-KO everything to exactly the same degree as Machamp will. In friendly battles, anything that flies or Levitates will be immune to Machamp shenanigans. Machamp hasn't got the best Speed or defenses either, so it's fairly easy to knock out. I'd say most Legendaries are already much more broken than Machamp will be.
We may ban OHKO moves, but on Gamefreak's official ladders, OHKO moves are actually fair play. In fact, they're good enough that someone nearly topped the ladder with Articuno in Battle Spot Singles a few seasons ago, and its actually considered a legit threat there mostly because of Sheer Cold! They're also commonly seen as filler moves on the likes of Excadrill as well. I imagine if Machamp got Fissure with no strings attached, that it's usage would sky rocket there.

On a less speculative note, I'm tempted to use 8F to teach Pikachu Surf. I heard that the minigame in Yellow version actually works without Surf Pikachu now, but I wanna see that funny Surfing Pikachu sprite on the overworld!

So I can confirm that the Arbitrary Code Glitch still works in Red and Blue! Now what does this mean? I used this to get Pokemon with Perfect DVs, which might be useful for Pokemon Sun and Moon! Just note, apparently this glitch doesn't work with the French versions, sorry!

Jibaku and TheMantyke wanted me to go into how to pull this off, so I'll talk about it. I mostly looked at stuff from Glitch City Labs: those dudes are the expert on Pokemon glitches, so you should thank them!

Step 1: Get 8F

8F is the source of all this madness. Its this item that enables you to basically do almost anything in RBY! Getting it is pretty complicated though, so I'm going to link to this youtube video that a glitch city labs user made.

Before you can start, you'll need: an item you don't mind tossing, 255 X Specials, and a removable item (I recommend a fossil to use at Cinnabar Island)/ An important thing the video doesn't mention is how to get 255 X Special. You buy one X Special, and do the usual Missingno. Glitch. THEN, you discard two X Specials (remember, Missingno. gives you 128 clones for the item in the 6th slot), then you encounter Missingno. again to get the extra 128 X Specials you need for 255 X Specials.

Step 2: Get the right party.

You will need a very specific party of Pokemon in the EXACT order listed to actually be able to use 8F. Using 8F without one of these parties WILL CRASH YOUR GAME! Glitch City Labs seems to have two different parties. I'm not sure if they do different things, but I'll list the party I used to activate 8F. If for any reason you need the other party though, I'll link to it, maybe only certain glitches work with that one?

First Party (the one I used): (Gotten from http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Arbitrary_code_execution)

Pidgey with 233 HP (I personally Rare candied Pidgey to level 100, then gave it HP Ups till it was close enough to be STAT exp trained to 233 HP)
Parasect
Onix
Tentacool
Kangaskhan

Second Party (The one from this post: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.0.html)

Step 3: Get the right item "recipe"

Just blindly using 8F will also crash your game. In addition to having the right party, you also need to have the right items in your bag in a VERY SPECIFIC ORDER!

Thanks to Glitch City Labs users Torchickens and Searinox , here's a code that can be used to get perfect DVs on the first Pokemon in your active box! (source: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.msg198973.html#msg198973 )

Recipe

Any item
8F
178 X Accuracys
218 Carbos
255 Lemonades
50 Pokeballs
201 Water Stones

Once you have the correct order of items and quantity of items, and ONLY THESE ITEMS IN THE BAG, simply use 8F, and TADA: The first Pokemon in your active box will now have perfect DVs!

Other things you can do with 8F

There are plenty of other crazy things you can do with 8F and the right recipe too. I actually changed my name in the game to change what I could get at Cinnabar Island via a certain recipe, and according to the thread, you can use 8F to capture trainer Pokemon, Walk Through Walls, pretty much anything you could imagine as long as you have the right recipe in your bag!
Just be careful though, like I said: I only used the first party of Pokemon, and I've only used it to change my name and get perfect DVs. I'm not sure if things react differently or not depending on the party. It's very easy to crash the game if you just mess up even one step!

For more details on what you can do with 8F, and more recipes I haven't tried out, check out this Glitch City Labs thread! It's how I was able to do all this crazy stuff lol http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.0.html
Interesting. So there are variants of this max DV glitch with 8F.
First found this method a week ago:

I, meanwhile, tested it with the 3DS VC and it works!!!
3DS VC Demonstration video:

However, your method only needs to use 8F once, while azzarox6661's method uses it 12 times, tossing 1 X Accuracy after every use.
Why the difference though?

Theorymon

However, your method only needs to use 8F once, while azzarox6661's method uses it 12 times, tossing 1 X Accuracy after every use.
It's possible because the glitch I used only maxes out DVs, it doesn't actually max out Stat EXP. Maybe that makes things more complicated?

Is there a walkthrough for the first glitch that has someone actually explaining what the fuck is going on? Because all I see in that video is "Here's an Onix, here's a Pidgey, here's a Hitmonlee" and so on and I already lost interest because I have no idea WHY he's showing these Pokemon.

Theorymon

Is there a walkthrough for the first glitch that has someone actually explaining what the fuck is going on? Because all I see in that video is "Here's an Onix, here's a Pidgey, here's a Hitmonlee" and so on and I already lost interest because I have no idea WHY he's showing these Pokemon.
I posted a walkthrough on how to do the first glitch here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-virtual-console.3555769/page-14#post-6690490

As for what that person is doing, it seems like he's using the more complicated bootstrap code party. The party I have listed in that post is a lot easier to use, since it only requires one specific stat, and no nonsense regarding PP used.

Theorymon

Do these work for Yellow version as well?
Sadly, I don't think so. While I was browsing Glitch City Labs, it seemed like Yellow has a totally different item for executing arbitrary code. Additionally, unlike Red and Blue, you don't have a boot strap party: Instead, you have specific Pokemon in a box, which probably ruins the perfect DVs recipe, since the Pokemon affected is the first mon in your box. Maybe theres a code to get around this on Yellow? I'm not sure, but its probably worth looking into.

You don't really need to understand how it is hacking the game. You just need to know the process, and that is already laid out for us.
Getting the 8F item and the arbitrary code execution are the only two things that need video demonstration. (azzarox6661's video has the latter, and mine has both)
Others like the item and Pokemon setup are self explanatory, just follow the required number and order.
Good luck!

has anyone else messed around with the celadon slots yet? i've been trying to figure out how to pause buffer triple 7s with the home button, but i haven't gotten them on row 1 no matter when I press A. Sometimes I'll get two 7s in a row and freeze on a frame that *looks* like a third 7, but when I hold A it'll stop on the next symbol instead.

this is on Yellow version.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One place this *may* have an impact is the Maison (or whatever the facility name is in SuMo). I've gone through the old Gen 1 exclusive TMs looking for Maison potential, but in general, have not been super excited. However, Fissure No Guard Machamp, flaws and all, is at least investigation worthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)