Pokemon Platinum - The definitive thread: Mach 3 (Competitive Discussion)

Am I the only one who finds the concept of Iron Defense Butterfree hilarious?

Also, too bad it's only learned in the cocoon stages, otherwise XD Beedrills would have had an interesting new trick. Kinda like BP Scizor, but more UU and bee-like.
Wow, Platinum is like, groundbreaking for those two. It nearly doubled their movepool. Tackle/Stringshot/Harden to Tackle/Stringshot/Harden/Bug Bite/ Iron Defense.
After all these years of having only three possible moves... time to update Kakuna's analysis :D

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
porygon2: icy wind, vacuum wave, trick, snore, last resort, swift, signal beam
I wonder how/if this will affect Porygon-Z, especially in sets that have Nasty Plot and HP Fight.

EDIT: Sorry, seems that this was a typo, similar to the whole Heat Wave Starmie thing.

I wonder how/if this will affect Porygon-Z, especially in sets that have Nasty Plot and HP Fight.
I want a second person to test that one, it makes no sense that neither Porygon-Z nor Porygon learn that move

Edit: ESPECIALLY. because Zen Headbutt is missing from there and it might have been mistranslated

Hard to say. It would help against revenge killing Weavile/Lucario and others, but gives you problems with certain Rock and Steel Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Registeel. With Vacuum Wave over HP Fight, an OHKO and 2HKO respectively becomes a 2HKO and 3-4HKO, giving Porygon-Z real problems in the sweeping department.

EDIT: Never mind. Looks like none of them get it after all.

Wow, Platinum is like, groundbreaking for those two. It nearly doubled their movepool. Tackle/Stringshot/Harden to Tackle/Stringshot/Harden/Bug Bite/ Iron Defense.
After all these years of having only three possible moves... time to update Kakuna's analysis :D
Metapod got Snore via Caterpie, so it's movepoll did, in fact, double in size.

Someone needs to check if Cascoon/Silcoon can get Iron Defense.

Hmm... The last time Magikarp was able to have 4 moves was in GSC, with it receiving either Bubble or Reversal as an Event move (Having both on 'karp is an illegal moveset)

I'm just annoyed there's no Belly Drum tutor.

Speaking of Floatzel:

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 Sp. Atk / 176 Spd
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Brick Break / Aqua Jet

Could work.
Oooh would this work? And isn't Lonely +Spd, -Def? o_O;

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kristy, can't you check yourself? Lonely is +ATK, -DEF. I thought you were a breeder? If so, wouldn't you have the natures memorized?

Will the Rotom forms be under Species clause like Deoxys?
I sincerely doubt the different Rotom forms would be considered different Pokemon. They're exactly the same except for one specific move they know. They're less different than having a SpecsMence and DDMence on the same team.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If we didn't have species clause, battles would pretty much be over before they started.

I think what needs to be decided is more along the lines of "what is a species?"

If we didn't have species clause, battles would pretty much be over before they started.

I think what needs to be decided is more along the lines of "what is a species?"
Again, I will say, in game considers any alternate forms the same species. Try taking 2 diffrent Wormadams into the battle tower. If we are trying to impliment the clauses the way the game does, i think we should ban using more than one form at a time. (Shoddy needs to be fixed)

Species clause seems kind of illogical on paper. Why would we have a species clause? So the same pokemon isn't used in one team? Well I fail to see how DD mence is the same as specsmence, besides what they look like. You could very well argue that different sets are different pokemon. So yea species clause needs to be defined somewhat better I guess

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Again, I will say, in game considers any alternate forms the same species. Try taking 2 diffrent Wormadams into the battle tower. If we are trying to impliment the clauses the way the game does, i think we should ban using more than one form at a time. (Shoddy needs to be fixed)
I think that is how it should work, as well.

I think a good test for "what is a species" could be "do they keep the same name upon changing form?" This would not prevent you from using Porygon2 and PorygonZ on the same team.

Goodbar: A lack of species clause would essentially totally ruin prediction, and make matches into nothing more than a giant bumfuck of a guessing game. The only reason certain pokemon like Lucario and Salamence are manageable is because usually they reveal themselves after they've made their first move. Now imagine trying to face a team with a MixMence and a CBMence, both with the same nickname. Guess wrong which one they've sent out, and you're probably screwed. And the next time one comes out, guess again.

I think a good test for "what is a species" could be "do they keep the same name upon changing form?" This would not prevent you from using Porygon2 and PorygonZ on the same team.

Goodbar: A lack of species clause would essentially totally ruin prediction, and make matches into nothing more than a giant bumfuck of a guessing game. The only reason certain pokemon like Lucario and Salamence are manageable is because usually they reveal themselves after they've made their first move. Now imagine trying to face a team with a MixMence and a CBMence, both with the same nickname. Guess wrong which one they've sent out, and you're probably screwed. And the next time one comes out, guess again.
I'm not for it's removal, I'm just saying I don't see how mixmence and CBmence are any less different than mixape and CBcross. So we should define what it is that we don't want with species clause

1) Just tested, the game allows me to take Porygon2 and PorygonZ into the battle tower. Makes sense since you can take more than one of the eeveelutions.

2) I THINK species clause is on the list of things to test.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Goodbar said:
I'm not for it's removal, I'm just saying I don't see how mixmence and CBmence are any less different than mixape and CBcross. So we should define what it is that we don't want with species clause
I think you can see the difference between Mixape and CBcross. It's pretty obvious, actually :]

Silly mario holding laser guns I wasn't implying that they weren't different, I was implying how salamence's different sets WERE ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)