Entertainment Pokemon Reality TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Hi Smog Staff! I hope I'm submitting this in the correct fashion. I have an idea for an article that talks about the various reality TV shows that people in the Pokemon world would watch. I have a few ideas already, but might add more if this gets approved:

Keeping Up With the Kangaskhans
Basically, this would be a Pokemon version of the Keeping Up With the Kardashians series, focusing on a family of Kangaskhan and their day-to-day activities. Considering that the gender rate of Kangaskhan is 100% female (like the Kardashian sisters), each one has a child from birth (increasing the size of the family and suggesting promiscuity, I guess), and the fact that "Kangaskhan" sounds like "Kardashian", I think this title would make for a decent parody of the actual one.

Kanto's Got Talent (and Spin-offs)
This one is pretty self-explanitory; it would be a talent show for the different regions, open to both people and Pokemon, like the many talent shows scattered around the globe.

Extreme Pokemon Competitive Makeovers
This is a kind of weird one, but it would focus on the Pokemon company's attempts to make crappy Pokemon good (eg Ninetales and Politoed, all the new fairies, etc.)

Breeder Kings
A parody of the show "Barter Kings", this would focus on Pokemon breeders and their mass production and trading of Pokemon in order to get the ones they want.

Man vs. 'Mon
This would be a survivor themed sort of show, where a group of human contestants is left stranded on an island full of hostile wild Pokemon, with nothing but their wits for survival.

Dexbusters
Well, here's a fanboy/sucking up moment towards user Bummer; if you've read his awesome Rare Candy Treatment comics (or are him) you'll know what this is: a parody of Mythbusters where the validity of various Pokedex entries are tested. I probably won't include this because it's not my own idea, but if I could get permission from its source to use it then that would be cool.

Thanks in advance for any consideration you give this article; I hope it doesn't require as much quality checking as my artwork does!

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So would you like commentate on each episode? It's a cool idea but are you gonna write like a full on plot for each of these? If so it could be better if you did a series, maybe? I like the idea but I think it might be beneficial if we wait and see if the other categories fill up because we have a load of entertainment articles right now and it should be more even I feel. Really into the idea tho!

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Entertainment articles are certainly something that most people are capable of writing, but overall, they're also more tricky to get approved since the topic of the article and the wits of the writer essentially decides whether or not it'll be a hit or miss. While you have an extensive schedule of shows to work from, it also seems to be ....... fairly obvious? Take a show, put it in a Pokemon setting, and the rest explains itself. Granted, I like how the show names are puns on their 'real' world equivalent, but in order for this to work, it all comes down to how it's written. Edacosis Item article is a very good example in this regard, although the tone of his article was much more relaxed than what I assume this will be.

Either way, as I have no real understanding of how you are as a writer, I would like it if you could write down everything you had in mind for one of those shows, and we'll see if you have what it takes to make all of the other shows equally interesting. And yes, you may use DexBusters, I hardly consider it an idea that's exclusive to myself.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Thanks for the input, Bummer and skylight!

My main idea for the article is to describe each show's concept with a small summary, and I admit it's not the most complex thing to come up with, but hopefully I'll be able to come up with a few good jokes and lots of pop culture references and social commentary throughout the article. I've written up the first parts of the article to show how I envision it to be:

Introduction

Let's face it; we all love reality TV shows. Despite how brainless and silly we say these shows are, no one can really resist the thought of seeing Honey Boo Boo's mother trying to climb up an inflatable bouncy castle, only to fail miserably. I'm sure everyone has watched a crappy reality TV show one time or another, just because "there was nothing else on to watch", or some other silly excuse like that. There is no end to the amount of garbage our brains can take— in fact, we seem to rely on it, and TV networks take advantage of that fact easily.

Taking this shocking reflection of human behavior into consideration, then, one must wonder: what kinds of TV shows would people in the Pokemon world watch? I imagine that most people wouldn't be too interested in watching Pokemon battles all day, and don't get me started on that meaningless drivel they consider to be "news" over there (...and LEVITATE...Mmm! That's deep! There's deep significance behind that quote!). It's obvious that people in the Pokemon world watch reality television just as much as we do— the only reason why no one has actually seen them in the games is because Game Freak was afraid that we'd get too interested in watching the TV, and end up missing the rest of the game. But, with great difficulty (and way too much time on my hands), I have managed to compile a list of popular reality TV shows from the Pokemon world. They are most definitely real, each one being described in detail below. Enjoy.

Keeping Up With the Kangaskhans

Hugely successful since its inception, Keeping Up With the Kangaskhans follows the adventures of a family of Kangaskhan and their interactions between each other. It has all the necessary components of a good reality show: drama, tension, power struggles, and lots of child pregnancy. Memorable moments from the show include Kelly Kangaskhan's wedding, Kacey Kangaskhan's trip to the dentist, and Kasandra Kangaskhan's extremely scandalized breeding tape. The show has been criticized by many, who challenge the truth behind its storylines, with many critics citing the fact that "Kangaskhan cannot be employed by fashion companies; they are Pokemon" as proof of the show's falsehood. It has also been condemned by Pokemon rights groups, who claim that the very fabric of the show is abusive to the Kangaskhan sisters and their family. Nevertheless, Keeping Up With the Kangaskhans continues to be one of the most successful and beloved reality shows on Pokemon television.

The Kangaskhan family is estimated to have a net worth of 500,000,000,000 Pokedollars.

And then I'll go on to explain the other shows and write a conclusion.

I'd consider myself a pretty good writer (better than my art, though that's no saying much), but that's subjective and I'm not a good judge of my own quality anyway. I hope what I've done so far was sufficiently entertaining for The Smog. Thanks again for your consideration.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm. Bummer has a point with how it does seem obvious. Nothing really differentiates it from the actual show (and fashion companies doesn't really seem relevant to the Pokemon world at hand...) If you're doing Kanga's, then maybe make the base references about the Kanga's and then change it to what a Kardashian would do. Like, for example, mega evolving. You could cover it in so many ways where it would be relevant to the Kardashian's, but based around the Pokemon for the most part. Basing it around the Kardashian's (rather than basing it on Kanga's( doesn't really leave much room for creativity.

I mean sure it's entertaining but it doesn't really seem... unique. You could always go the other angle, and create a new set of reality shows (which can't be compared to their real life counterparts) OR base it very loosely about concepts rather than stuff based around known humans. You could do your own (loosely based on) version of The Bachelor, and talk of how a lonely Frillish must go through hoops (or Mantine rings!) to be able to find the love of its life. If you can be super creative this has some potential (although I think whole plots could still be cool!)

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Thanks Bummer! I will work on adding some more original and creative ideas as well. May I post this in the article workshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)