Porygon-Z (Full Revamp) +

Yeah, sorry Aldaron, but I changed back to the Salac set... it's just more effective for me. Maybe you have a different playing style?

One VERY important thing I would like to bring to your attention. Using Hidden Power Water and that EV spread makes you only tie with Scarftran... uhhhh yeah. So either we switch the nature to Timid, or use a different Hidden Power... or take the 50% chance of being outsped by Heatran, which is on EVERY team

Um, no. Check this out Raikoulover: Alternate Hidden Power IVs

Enter these values into Shoddy.

31 HP
30 Attack
30 Defense
31 Speed
30 Special Attack
31 Special Defense

or if you like the "wifi" way (hp/atk/def/spa/spd/spe) 31/30/30/30/31/31

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
You need to put that into the "ivs" section of your moveset. Nobody who plans to use that set is probably going to think of going to that thread, so it's a lot more convenient to put the preferred IVs in the moveset (then explain them a little in the set comments).

Actually, it should be noted that Porygon-Z learns Trick Room, and is the only Pokemon to learn this move naturally. Someone might put this move in and invest in HP EV's. Despite this, however, Trick Room takes up a moveslot. And for a Pokemon like Porygon-Z, the choice is pretty obvious whether to sacrifice a moveslot and shun EV's, or save the moveslot and use EV's. There are much better choices for that moveslot than Trick Room. If you must, use another Pokemon on your team to use Trick Room. (Dusknoir, perhaps?)

Porygon2 is a much better user of Trick Room, regardless of if Porygon-Z learns it by simpler means or not.

90 base speed isn't HORRIBLY slow, in fact, you can only get as low as 164, which is still faster than most walls. Porygon2 by contrast can get as low as 110, which should outrun almost anything in Trick Room except Slowbro and Bronzong.

I love the Scarf-Z and it's Adaptability Tri Attack. Of course, I always lure out
the ghost first.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
CB-Z needs to be a set. Choice Band is an amazingly viable option with STAB Adaptability Return and its perfectly-usable-with-no-spatk-evs special movepool and stats. I can attest to this and so can jabbafat.

The set was Return/Thunderbolt/HP Fighting/Dark Pulse I think, but Trick is definitely an option for that set now.

...or maybe Sharpen could be Sharpen / Trick and the item could be Life Orb / Choice Band, with an explanation of what move to use with each item >_>

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why would you bother using Choice Band Return? It sounds like a huge gimmick. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but why in the world would you ever want to use it? It's basically just for Blissey right? Seems like a waste. I'd argue for other options material.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you can see my deleted post, ignore it. I confused myself and then confused Mekkah and Caelum on IRC :toast:

Choice Specs turns Porygon-Z into a powerhouse, packing 607 SpA, or as much as 911 if you get your Download boost.
After rounding down in the intermediary step, modest Porygon-Z's special attack is 910 after download boost and choice specs, not 911.

<p>Hyper Beam was a decent choice in Diamond and Pearl, for getting a OHKO on Blissey, but now it runs more Special Defense and will never fall to a Hyper Beam. That, and with all the previously mentioned revenge killers, you would most certainly lose your Porygon-Z afterwards, even if you did kill Blissey. Avoid this move in Platinum. </p>
It wasn't platinum that brought about this change in Blissey's EVs. IIRC it was Obi's revamp? Either way it seems a bit silly to say avoid it in PLatinum because if people still play pure DP, they may still use Blissey with more SP. Def. In edits you are not supposed to say anything about Platinum changes anyway, we are supposed to act as if pure DP never existed in the first place.

Why would you bother using Choice Band Return? It sounds like a huge gimmick. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but why in the world would you ever want to use it? It's basically just for Blissey right? Seems like a waste. I'd argue for other options material.
I don't think so Caelum. While P-Z's attack is only 80, remember that Return is a high base power move, and adaptability makes it a whooping 204 Base Power... Yikes. You saw how much damamge it does on the Sharpen sets, well Choice Band is basically a free sharpen! so I don't see why it wouldn't be viable. Download would be cool to use with it also. I could see something like:

Return / Tri-Attack / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam working well, with T-Bolt and Ice Beam taking care of physical walls and Return beating everything else.

It wasn't platinum that brought about this change in Blissey's EVs. IIRC it was Obi's revamp? Either way it seems a bit silly to say avoid it in PLatinum because if people still play pure DP, they may still use Blissey with more SP. Def. In edits you are not supposed to say anything about Platinum changes anyway, we are supposed to act as if pure DP never existed in the first place.
OK, I will change that comment. Would you prefer "earlier in the metagame" or "at the start of DPPt"

Raikoulover... the boost from Sharpen + Life Orb is 1.95x damage... that's really why it does so much. A Choice Banded Return won't dish out as much damage as you are thinking. It's less than SD Lukes unboosted Close Combat rather than more than Salamence's Adamant Life Orb Outrage.

Hp Ground could be good too, With a 65+ power, Nasty plot then Sweep, better used for the Late game when the counters have been destroyed,

I have one anyways, HP Ground Timid, P-Z. Hp -66

Hp Ground could be good too, With a 65+ power, Nasty plot then Sweep, better used for the Late game when the counters have been destroyed,

I have one anyways, HP Ground Timid, P-Z. Hp -66
No. Hidden Power Fighting still has better coverage than Ground. Please don't suggest a change to the analysis for no other reason than to accomodate the inferior Hidden Power of a pokemon you bred.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Ground is just as good as Fighting, if not better. Most Rocks and Steels take the same from both. Tri Attack does more damage than a neutral Hidden Power anyway, so you aren't going to use either agaisnt Skarmory or Bronzong. In terms of relevent things, only Tyranitar is actually hit harder by HP Fighting than any of your other attacks, wheras Metagross and Heatran are hit harder by Ground.

A Timid Life Orb Nasty Plot Thunderbolt always OHKOs Metagross anyway, and Hidden Power Fighting offers coverage against dark types and still hits Heatran. The only OHKO you lose with Fighting that you wouldn't with Ground is against 252 HP/0 s.def Jirachi (the typical Impish Wish Passer) which isn't really a good reason to switch to Ground.

[SET]

name: Scarf-z
move 1: Tri Attack
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Shadowball
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Download
nature: Modest
evs: 4 DEF / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Hidden Power Fighting > Hidden Power Ground because of Tyranitar. Even 252/0 Tyranitar can tank a Nasty Plot Life Orb Hidden Power Ground, and hammer Porygon-Z hard with a Choice Banded Stone Edge or Crunch.

Hidden Power Ground is a good option for Porygon-Z but Fighting hits all the things that resist Normal while Dark Pulse hits Ghosts that are immune to it. Because Tyranitar is a huge threat to Porygon-Z being able to OHKO it is a priority over OHKOing Metagross.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Meh, I just think it should be listed as an option. Ground is equal or better against everything except T-Tar.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Technically both Tyranitar and Metagross should be OHKOed or they will beat Porygon-Z, but Metagross is both harder to beat (Bullet Punch) and seriously doesn't take that much less from Modest NP Life Orb Tri Attack that it can be nearly OHKOed anyway, depending on EVs.

Tyranitar on the other hand has that God-damned Special Defense boost in the Sand because it likes to be a cunt and otherwise piss off every Special Attacker in OU. Plus it has Pursuit just in case you want to run.

By the way, the whole "resisted Tri Attack > neutral Hidden Power" needs to be emphasized. I see a lot of people use HP Fighting on a Bronzong or Blissey that shouldn't be.

By the way I used to run this Porygon-Z a while back. I wonder if it still works?
P-z @ Life Orb
220 Atk / 252 SpA / 36 Spe; Mild
- Return
- Agility
- Tri Attack
- HP Fighting / Dark Pulse

Basically, you predict Blissey and 2HKO with Return, come in again later then Agility sweep. I haven't tested it since Platinum came out though.

Hate to insult, but honestly on the agility set, Life Orb is a terrible idea. PorygonZ has a large chance of needing to take a hit to boost it up, and you don't want to kill it even faster. If you want a boost, go with Expert Belt or Wise Glasses. Focus Sash makes sure you beef up in exchange of a little of it's obnoxious power

I'm new to all this so please don't attack me, as this is just merely an idea which I doubt will work, but here we go.

Would it be possible to combine the Adaptability boost with Conversion? For example, you switch in Porygon-Z and the next turn they switch in Blissey. On the switch you use Conversion and become Fighting type to go with Hidden Power. How much damage would that do to a standard Blissey?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)