Status
Not open for further replies.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
approved by people
Oq1S5Ey.png

art by Ticken
After a well-fought and (mostly, it's mons after all) competitive tournament team UK has once again come out on top!
Use this thread as a place to discuss the tournament, the matches played, any trends in the metagames you noticed, dump your teams, and have any other tour-related shenanigans you please.

All Smogon and Other Metagames rules apply.
Please stay on topic.

Links:
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Semifinals | Finals
Information and Administrative Decisions
Replays and Usage Stats

Hello i am two time omwc winner and very gud bh player (i swear) willdbeast with a post omwc post, i promised to do a big boring shoutout post so here it is

First of all the main shoutout I think has to go to the hosts of the tournament, and the people who keep OMs running in general. After hosting a smaller team tour I got a taste of what it's like having to keep people organised and always be available (basically managing on steroids without the fun) and you all deserve thanking because without the time and love you put in none of this fun stuff would happen. Special shoutout to drampa's grandpa for the stats and replays page.

Another shoutout has to go to all the other teams' captains and players, who I'm mercifully not going to tag all of. It wouldn't be much fun without you all and pretty much everyone in the OM community is pretty cool in their own special way which really makes these tourneys great. Props especially to team NE who kinda smashed us week 1, and it would have been scary to face you in finals had things gone differently. The people in OMs are 99% of the reason I stick around here and it's always great chatting and joking with you all, regardless of teams. There are so many nice people here and if I tried to tag everyone I'd for sure miss a bunch of friends, so you will have to just guess if I like you or not. Or you can ask me and I will say >:[

The Lads, a lot of you I've been teamed with before or know a long time, some of you I've known a little and got to know better and some of you I'd only heard of vaguely. The thing I love most about OMWC is how we can team together with mostly familiar faces and it really feels like a team with gradually getting to know everyone and how they act etc and having the past years to look back on.

It's honestly silly how many team tours I've been in with Hamhamhamhamham, managing, playing or being benched. Every time it's great to have you around and I feel like we're both pretty laid back when it comes to managing which helps us a lot to get along with no problems and recover from minor setbacks in the tours with a positive attitude. Always great to have you as a broken one size fits all player too with you being able to just go wherever we need you and always be helpful with basically every slot (except BH) which has been a big part of our success these two years imo (even if you barely needed to play last time). Hopefully you'll still wanna captain the Lads next year with me!

Do I need to say how broken a player xavgb is? Another huge help with teambuilding for literally everything, and especially when it comes to my slot helping me with BH and not letting me bring complete nonsense and it's always a lot of fun going through random ideas and trying to get them to work. Admittedly BH didn't go so well this year but none of that is due to any lack of support. You're basically the 3rd captain and we really couldn't do this without you and your great terrible great jokes.

Chazm is just a mons playing machine tbh. You could not find a more reliable player anywhere on this site. This is becoming a bit repetitive by now but it's insane how much support he is for the team for all sorts of random meta and you're just an op player racking up wins tbh. Also you play BTD and like astronomy so you are by default and awesome person.

It's always cool to have you un-quit mons for us once a year Racool and it's kinda become a tradition that you come and smash some AAA players for us every Christmas and make everyone regret calling you rusty. Hopefully we'll see you around next year too even if it's just to cheerlead and hang out or play one game. Also you have to come back so you can beat that winning streak.

Jett I can't say we were particularly close before this but it's been really nice having you on the team even if you didn't have the most exceptional of records - it could have easily been better another tourney - and you were always a positive presence which imo is the most important part of a team. Hopefully NFE will still be around next year so we can have on the team again (or maybe you can start playing camo :eyes:).

Greybaum it's kinda a shame you didn't get to play but you were really selfless not caring about personal glory when you thought it would be better for Jett to play and you were a huge help in preparing for all the NFE games which is something a player record can never show (especially when it's 0-0 lmao). But what I found more impressive is how you were always there to give moral support and teambuilding advice in every meta when there was no-one else to do it, giving some pretty good feedback on teams (and pretty bad feedback on avatar ideas) in basically every channel. You got off lucky not being forced to play STABmons though... I'm glad we got to talk a bit because of this, it's been fun.

PA honestly you weren't really active for most the tourney, which is kinda fine cos we didn't ask you to start in any of the slots so maybe it wasn't your top priority, but you were there for us at pretty short notice when we needed you and you brought home a nice win when it mattered, which is pretty much the best any captain can ask for. It was nice to have you on the team after you helped us out a lot in OMWC1 for 1v1.

w0rd I'm really glad you chose to play with us again this year, especially when we just randomly tagged you in discord to ask you to the week of signups then you went and put your best effort into it, especially since it seemed like you were pretty busy with irl stuff throughout it all.

I have nice things to say about every player except willdbeast. He played awfully despite having great support from his team and was an overall hugely negative impact. Won't be drafting this so called player again.

Big thanks to Marjane and Skysolo who helped out a lot despite not being on the team, if it weren't for the absolute flood of nfe players and geography respectively I'd have definitely drafted you both lol.

I hope despite my poor job as a player I was a good captain for you all. I tried my best and I'm really glad we managed to win again, but honestly we just have so many talented and dedicated players across all sorts of metas and with such friendly personalities it makes captaining more of a blessing than a job; hopefully I'll see you all next year so we can do it again :]

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I didn't really build most of the teams I used, so I think I'll go into my thought process for every game and see if the people interested can extract anything they were looking forward to.

Week 1 - highlighter
Going into the tour, I had absolutely no idea what was going on in this new metagame. I made plenty of teams and did a lot of testing w/ Andy and stresh. The team for this week was the only team I fully built myself for this tour. My goal was to just go with something fairly standard, but I did end up adding a, at the time, fairly unconventional twist in Palkia because of how potent I had found Water to be as an offensive typing in practice games and how Palkia had fantastic offenses and a wonderful secondary STAB to capitalize on the resists on each tier.

The actual game didn't go super well, I didn't play as optimally as I'd have liked and I probably could've won if I'd managed my risks better. Hazards Regigigas was surprisingly annoying for my team, and my prep that week wasn't on point. A bunch of people would be quick to attribute that to my inexperience at the time, I disagree. hl and pdt are both incredibly potent preppers and they both know my playstyles very well. The crit was unfortunate, but it was a roll to kill as they were Adamant and it was my fault for not Strength Sapping the turn before, so honestly it was a pretty deserved loss on my end.

Week 2 - dimrah
I stole the team used by hl last week for this game. I knew dimrah had teamed with me before so I knew that he knew how much I enjoyed employing offensive teams. My gameplan for this week was to just bring something solid and hopefully outplay. dimrah is an exceptional player with an understanding of the meta that I can only ever dream of having, so I figured that my best bet of winning was giving myself an edge in the teambuilder because I considered us around the same playing level.

The actual game worked shockingly well, as one may expect when one loads full stall into a team built around Pikachu. There's not really much to comment about here.

Week 3 - cityscapes
SL's by far one of the most unconventional players I've seen. His willingness to use anything that can be used is something that makes him incredibly difficult to prepare for, which gives him an advantage prepwise most of the time. This team was built by stresh for the most part, I just made a few edits with pdt and hl's guidance which ended up making the matchup more reasonable. I figured that if I could get a decent matchup, that's more than I could ask for from a prep pov against such a diverse opponent, so I went with something that I felt would maximize how well I could outplay someone.

The actual game was fairly even. SL got me really good with the Reshiram bluff - I later learned that it was mono Core Enforcer, so Zacian-C would be incredible against his team in theory, but his bluffing combined with his history of using Reshiram as a mixed offensive attacker worked really well for him. Paralysis is a bad mechanic, but it was a fun game no less.

Pools Tiebreaker - pinkdragontamer
I think that it was around here where I understood that any one of the BH players on South are 100x the player that I'll ever be cause I'm seriously dogshit at this game, so I had to win on matchup and I proceeded to go to the king of doing that, sugar. Sugar provided me with a fantastic team that looked normal, similar to what II had been bringing the past few weeks, but overwhelmed pdt very fast with its unpredictability factor. Belly Drum Xerneas did shockingly well that game and it's because you normally expect it to run special sets (and that's what it should be running on normal teams, which is what it looked like on preview).

In the game, pdt says he could've played better, and I agree that if he had knew the sets, he probably could have played better. However, losing momentum vs HO is huge, and I don't blame him for his plays at all cause I likely would've done most of the same ones if I was in his position of not knowing the cheese. I'm also generally averse to cheesing my friends, and pdt was definitely prepared for cheese, but his knowledge of my aversion to these kinds of teams against friends combined with the appearance of the team probably messed with his gameplan a bit.

Semifinals - sugarhigh
Against sugar, I was pretty sure I was gonna lose, and lose hard. Sugar's a very respectable player and while he chooses to employ cheese a ton, I knew that he's very potent with traditional archetypes as well. That being said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I did expect cheese this round, so with the help of QT, I ended up opting to go for outcheesing him. The main thing we ended up deciding on was the Skill Link King's Rock Kyurem-B, which wouldn't be something I'd bring against most people, but on paper it did pretty well against sugar.

In the game, I had a pretty good chance I'd say? I got my paralyses up, set up, and Kyurem-B was set to put in work. It ended up not paraflinching twice, despite me needing that, but I got bailed out of that misfortune by some fortune on my own. I do feel kinda bad that I had to go for that third paralysis, though, since that's not what was supposed to go down.

Semifinals Tiebreaker - sugarhigh
From last week, I expected him to be somewhat prepared for cheese coming from my end as well, and so QT and I ended up devising a very bulky team that'd likely do well vs sugar. It had checks to weather, drum, Gambit and was a pretty flexible team in general. Double Prankster isn't something I'd normally use, but against a player like sugarhigh you want to be as prepared against cheese as you can be. It's worth noting that every Pokemon on that team has its own purpose and doesn't really need any other member alive, so the idea is that you pick your sacks accordingly against Gambit.

The game was surprising. I didn't expect Dragon's Maw spam. I think that in a meta with Xerneas, Zacian-Crowned and Zamazenta-Crowned all being exceptionally powerful picks, running with Dragonspam is a very daring decision. To his credit, he brought it down to a speed tie, and I likely should've gone Zamazenta-C to mitigate this. The issue is that he had webs, so I didn't really expect a backup scarfer and because of that I don't think my choke was a really bad choke to make? It was still a choke no less, though, but I did feel like I was getting talked about behind my back by a few people after that game so I just wanted to get that out there. Sugar was 100% right to get annoyed though, losing a speed tie is a very poor way to get knocked out of a semis tiebreaker.

Finals - xavgb & willdbeast
Stresh was, in my opinion, the most potent opponent I'd faced since highlighter (except for pdt, possibly). He's a very prodigious player with very strong playing and incredible fundamentals, which most of the player pool lacks. He's able to run sugar's style, while also playing an impeccable balance game and he's also one of the very few players who knows how to use stall properly in this metagame. My angle for prep, as a result, was to reduce the amount of playing he'd be able to do as much as I could. While his prep is strong, his true strengths lie in outplaying his opponent, and I knew that if I was gonna win this, it was gonna be through that angle. I tested cheese oriented teams for a lot of the week, but I finally settled on hazard stacking stall that QT built for me. It had a very good matchup against the stuff he normally liked, but wasn't helpless against cheese either.

Will ended up being subbed in and I find him and dimrah fairly similar to prepare for, and I felt that the stall that was built would be a fairly strong pick against Will as well. It ended up winning - he memed with Cramorant and Pikachu, and as we saw in Week 2, Pikachu loading into stall isn't good for the player piloting the Pikachu team.

Thanks to Quantum Tesseract sugarhigh PinkDragonTamer and highlighter for preparing plenty of the teams I ended up using during the tour. I was a bit of a diva in my team selections, and I didn't settle for anything less than what felt perfect which gave these guys a very hard time and I couldn't have won the games without them. I do know that I couldn't have gotten the wins I ended up getting Thanks to Jrdn for drafting me, thanks to Andyboy and xavgb for being consistent testers and thanks to E4 Flint for helping me out in prep against some opponents when I was ranting about not knowing what to do (which happened way too often).

Kinda sad that I couldn't turn my 5-2 into a 7-0, but 5-2 is already asking a ton considering I don't really know the meta yet and I was pretty lucky to get any of the wins that I did get. Was also a pretty good score in the context of the tour, so we kinda popped off!

Fun tour, gratz UK once again, until next time :)

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
hello, this wcoom was a strange one and while south had one of the best teams in the tour we just could not win games, myself included, so we lost rip but i still had fun s/o to my teammates

i built bh and camo but i will not be talking about camo, just built for myself weeks 1 and 2 vs jrdn and k3ppr, respectively, threw w2 vs k3ppr super hard, and i helped qt build w3 as well, we didn't end up winning any of these games although weeks 2 and 3 were winnable

Untitled 442
https://pokepast.es/f9ef36c936cbdf7f
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1237261631 hl vs volky
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1240451286-twt7pvexjascu0iqaf4eo6cyd9yzncppw volky vs dimrah

i built this team for hl w1 vs. volky, bc no offense to volky but if you can get him to play a really drawn out game with annoying progress makers he tends to make mistakes, so i went with the idea of progress ph regigigas + stall backbone, resulting in a semistall sort of build, although "stall" in bh is much less passive than in any other metagame. we ended up getting a pretty expected matchup in the game and even though the regigigas was gambited i think this would've been pretty clean even without that crit on palkia or those paras. i gave this team to volky the next week to use vs dimrah and he pretty much won off matchup as well. i liked this structure a lot and even remade it in a later week

Untilted 502
https://pokepast.es/429eec9f61366850
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1247153289 hl vs dimrah

this team i wanted to use a normalize pult set that i stole from stresh, it uses the normalize entrain combo to force switches so that pult can spike for ph xern, and dd when it needs to pressure removers. youll notice a pattern with regen steels+bouncer instead of yveltal as my calyrex checks bc i dont like the rocks weakness and the weakness to calyrex coverage. the ph xern is rlly customizable here but i went with magma storm to pressure steels harder so they cant remove spikes, and spec thief tech as a funny way to double boosts vs. imposter and steal them back from opposing spec thief users. this could be volt switch or some other utility and just change improof accordingly (melmetal). cune is a fun and underrated prank wall that i stole from andy who may have gotten it from stresh idfk

Untitled 488
https://pokepast.es/d3a78e33c362926e
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1243114329-xwexhtdfp4wy9gzlutlt22x9646ho38pw hl vs sl

hl built the original version of this team and i helped edit it, adding zac-c and snorlax over dialga and blissey iirc, i wanted to use the cheeky baton pass core that stresh invented back in pre-dlc bh with zac-c + snorlax, and using snorlax as a check to dragon's maw etern and using a voltturn type core. we ended up getting an unfort mu with stuff like volt absorb fini + zama-c making it very tough for etern to get anywhere but we got our zac-c crit + also threw and lost, but it was hard fought and it definitely couldve gone either way. i think this team could be improved as well, it wasnt my favorite that we brought this season, but its fun to baton pass around and click buttons

Untitled 512
https://pokepast.es/a3d2ed55797e2632
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1249822149 me vs volky

i built this with the help of qt and hl for the tiebreak against volky for the playoffs spot, and i knew some form of offense or ho gimmicks (although don't get me wrong these teams are viable) could be coming (final gambit, belly drum, normalize, electrify, weather, etc.). so i started off with a trusty double steel core with unaware zama-c + occa bounce regi, designed to take on most forms of ph xern and regis, as well as stop certain setup users. giratina and zyg were filler walls to help out with stronger breakers w/o setup but with initial power like zac-c and calyrex, and i knew i wanted to try to draw out the game and use para to my advantage, and fit 2+ forms of para. this led me to the ho-oh set, that was designed to spike up on steel types and pressure everything else with para + vcreate, as well as helping take pressure off the steels to check xern a bit. my last was again ph regi to complete the semistall structure that i put the first version above, and qt gave me the idea of dtail regi to take advantage of spikes and the v-create coverage, in the game i think i should've realized that it was gambit offense sooner and that would've given me a much better position late game, but unfortunately i tossed some stuff that i needed to win, as well as being smarter with my regigigas. however, its hard to tell sometimes in bh and volky surprised me and won fair, but i still think this team is pretty cool and would have a much better mu vs. some balance structures.

s/o my south teammates and specifically xavgb highlighter GL Volkner Quantum Tesseract In The Hills Catalystic for the help with the teams

Idk if Ive ever been more confident in a team than I was in US South this tour, and ive been in a lot of team tours where I feel like im on the strongest team. Unfortunately canada plot armor was too strong good stuff to them and europe, anyway Im just here cause i like posting teams

Theres a consistent theme here each week of me struggling to learn how to build in each meta (I dont think i figured out how to consistently build good teams till like week 4 which by then our team had been eliminated). That being said I think i still somehow ended up with some really solid teams so I'll share them (or at least the 2 i made).

W1 v Kimbo (W)
:Garchomp: :Heatran: :Diancie: :Mandibuzz: :Mew: :Zeraora:

I had like 3 teams post-ban and tried to fix them with all kinds of dumb gymnastics like sap sipper nihilego. Then FV comes around, plays AAA for a day and then drops 3 teams which initially just makes me go like "oh cool someone new playing aaa" But as Im playing around with them I start to realize theyre just kinda better than my whole builder lmao. Not dropping paste cause not my team, got a pretty free mu with it too cause people didnt really know about ph chomp at this point

W2 v Viv (W)
:Seismitoad: :Ferrothorn: :Zapdos-Galar: :Zeraora: :Mew: :Tyranitar:
After getting moved out of AAA I made this team which is like the anti AAA - it just has everything i was missing so much playing AAA (Not dissing AAA or anything it just plays a bit differently) - winning through sand, reliable hazard stack, toxic / general status spam, and taunt spam, to setup a speed boosting guy capable of winning just about every game. The name of this team is just chip chip chip but it's really effective at beating down teams. I always try to build around concepts but it's rare that these concepts (mainly taunt spam in this case) flesh out so cleanly into 6 mons.

Zapdos-G is a really solid wincon cause unlike alot of no retreat mons, its two move coverage can threaten to OHKO or nearly OHKO everything after a no retreat and unlike alot of other no retreat mons, it doesnt care about getting intimidated once or a couple times and having the sweep just end. The first 3 mons together are capable of keeping hazards up vs just about everything. Ferro punishes spinners, Zapdos punishes foggers, Seis + ferro keeps up a hazard at all times vs just about all relevant removal. Seis is a bit of a weird pick bc it's not actually doing too much in checking the many big threats in STAB but making your opponent think twice about clicking flip turn and volt is still really important because one of the team's main focuses is to just rarely give up momentum, which ofc is important w hazard stack. Zera is really good at beating down teams early to mid game, while taunt wisp mew is just somewhat of a blanket check physical wall to handle stuff that ferro cant like bulu and mamo kinda while keeping up taunt. Last slot is the ttar slot lmao (also sand helps)

W3 v Eeveeto (L)
:Tapu Bulu: :Slowbro: :Garchomp: :Ferrothorn: :Rotom-Heat: :Tyranitar:
Was still struggling with building despite that one hit. I think between w2 and w3 I was grinding out teams and won like 10 or 20% of my stabmons games, probably half vs people who didnt even play the tier. My lowest point was fighting stresh a few times and realizing I literally couldnt touch balances basically consisting of the top 6 vr mons with half my teams if my opp played properly. Resident stabmons world cup player here baby

So I just tried to build my own standard as shit team. Bulu seemed kinda busted in all my games so I wanted to run that. Stole helmet chomp + helmet ferro directly from stresh cause like what physical attacker is beating that lmao. You attack one and die and theres still another. Put a Rotom H for like lando / sylveon i think, threw on specs slowbro bc goat stabmons mon. Last slot ttar slot ofc. Started winning some games w the final version of this team but not really bc in the actual game I loaded into a 100-0 (maybe even 200-0) mu and still somehow lost not even through hax but just through the sheer amount of bad playing lmao. Ik theres so many other games but it did kinda suck at the time to know that loss in particular ended up taking us out of poffs. Wp to eeveeto ofc. Also ended my stabmons killstreak so that extra sucks to lose like that.

S/o to South guys for making this tour fun as always (even tho its only been twice for me) despite us constantly inventing new ways to lose lmao
See yall in slam cowboy emoji

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
this world cup was decent, i wasnt super pleased cause my cool ideas didnt work so i had to luck everyone instead. was still cool cause the west server was poppin off

w1 vs dimrah: https://pokepast.es/1a6a023bc1a89cb0
this was not a good team, it looks a lot better than it actually is. great for beating ladder teams which typically dont have a solid idea, but vs any decent tour player you will lose cause they have an idea and your excuse for an idea is ph don, which is not good enough. flare boost etern is funny but not nearly good enough to be consistent. the game mightve been winnable but overall dimrah was just more comfortable with the meta so i was at a disadvantage

w2 vs hl: https://pokepast.es/bcec90b177193317
this team on the other hand is one of my favorite gen 8 teams ever (probably favorite dlc2). this team is derived from this original team, which uses the same base idea of subpunch scrappy zamac + desolate land fire to beat fairies, but for this one i came up with toxic orb imposter to further limit ph xern, and XxSevagxX and Onyx Onix 7 helped me come up with cb victini, which is basically everything i wanted out of hooh (trick + toxic are great to deal with defensive teams, roost is awesome for longevity). kebia fini is cause every ladder player was spamming specs etern and i was sick of it. unfortunately in the game i ran into the 1 hard zamac counter in all of human existence, helmet fc necrozma, so although my defensive mons could hold off his guys pretty effectively it was just a matter of time before something broke thru. regi randomly killing zacc helped w this obv, and eventually necrozma took victinis trick so i could finally actually use moves without losing more hp than i dealt. wack game but again very happy with this team

w3 vs volkner: https://pokepast.es/b4f1a9c8d7bf96f8
i was just like WOOOAH UNAWARE DRUM ZAMAZENTA CROWNED then i was like HOW DO I SCREW OVER EVERY HYPER OFFENSE USER IN EXISTENCE so i ran cb eleki + basic fcscales + more paraspam so that every single one of my mons managed to screw over hyper offense (an impressive feat). heal bell eleki + rest xern was some absolute shenanigans lol. anyway like 20 mins before the game sevag pmd me and was like "what if he brings pert" i was like "he prob wont bring it but that would suck" then i load into fc pert + scales dialga + opposing unaware zamac (??????????) and literally cannot make progress without paraspamming my way through which is what i did. i hated this game cause again i didnt get to do cool things with my team

shoutouts 2 the uncultured westerner gang (all we do is mencepost and draw in ms paint)

Wanted to make a post as well since this was pretty much the very first big tournament I’ve participated in. I’m glad I won my only match and it was a great watching my fellow asians play at a high level and getting to know all of them.

First off, huge thanks to King Leo V Euphonos for getting me onto the team on the first place. You guys were great managers and formed us a great team. In no particular order, TectonicDestroyer pichus Redflix Chessking345 you guys are incredible teammates, it was really cool to see that we were all willing to help out each others’ teams and metas. Shoutouts to all the supporters in the team disc as well!

Gonna analyze my w1 game, I guess. I won against MinoGod54 using this team.
I expected some standard balance teams with a classic FurScales core from the French player, so I built around the core of Final Gambit Eternatus + Triage Rayquaza, hoping that I can lure in a Scales Steel-type at best scenario and straight up take it out, then sweep with Ray. Yvel checks Calyrex, Heatran checks Xerneas, Regigigas is a secondary wincon that can Spikes on FC walls and Swampert traps Imposter.
Onto the actual game, I ate an Astral Barrage with Swampert on t1 which was prolly my biggest mistake of the game, but I managed to keep applying Spikes pressure with Gigas from there. His Zamazenta was a big threat to me since after I Knocked Off his Life Orb, I expected an offensive set with CC/ Lance which could easily dismantle my team. I decided to eat one with Yveltal but fortunately he did not seem to have Lance. I managed to do a few doubles until Rayquaza managed to put Solgaleo to sleep plus kill Giratina with a crit (my deepest apologies that I said the crit didn't matter, I'm pretty sure it did now). From there I managed to set up Gigas and straight up start a sweep. I think I did my prep pretty well and I'm glad that Swampert didn't matter in this game, since I would've been in a major disadvantage if he had a strong physical breaker and I cannot heal Pert back. Also I didn't get to showcase the Gambit lure which was a bit sad.

We didn’t make it to semis, but I’m glad that looking back, we were actually so close to getting in. Though I wouldn't say this is the best team tour I've been in, I definitely learned a lot by playing with a bunch of skilled players. Looking forward to the next OMWC this year, hope we could shine the next time.

Asiancy Asiancy :blobnom:

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm a bit late on this, since I wanted to keep these teams to myself a little longer because of open. but I'm out now so I gonna share them here (NFE metagame has changed slightly but no bans have occurred so far so these are still relevant). Click on the minisprites for the team.

W1 vs Ho3n :pikachu: :golbat: :marshtomp: :hattrem: :thwackey: :electabuzz: (updated version below)

The idea of this team was to use Special Pikachu, which is super uncommon, to lure in its standard switch-ins and also Ground-types so that Electabuzz could freely clean with its Thunderbolt. I initially had Slowpoke and Metang instead of Marshtomp and Hattrem but hated my matchup against Shadow Ball Galarian Mr. Mime, so ended up with this. Admittedly during this process, I weakened my team significantly to Galarian Corsola which ended up being the bane of me in Week 1, as I forgot to add moves such as Toxic and removed setup on Thwackey for a better Ferroseed matchup due to these changes. I've since updated the team to this which helps to patch up some of these said weaknesses.

W2 vs Leo :duosion: :koffing: :wartortle: :linoone-galar: :tangela: :corsola-galar:

I wanted to exploit Leo's lack of solid hazard control on a lot of his teams and pair it with Duosion because of the lack of Dark-types running around in the metagame. This team is much slower than the common bulky offense teams that are seen nowadays and aims to wear down opponenets with a lot of residual damage before cleaning up with Duosion; it's definitely a decent archetype but when abusing Toxic Spikes its probably easier to have Pikachu and pivot users, and Duosion should have a more dedicated team around it. Wartortle is probably the best Rapid Spinner but I came across another Corsola which sucked. I messed up the game plan of getting hazards up early and using double switches to bring in Duosion to threaten out Golbat and slowly wear it down and not letting it Defog so I ended up losing.

W3 vs Dragon :pikachu: :golbat: :thwackey: :slowpoke: :piloswine: :gurdurr:

Looking back, this is quite similar to my Week 1 team but with significantly different sets used instead and being far more refined. The addition of Slowpoke also allowed this team having a stronger dynamic of slow pivots into fast pivots. Pikachu and Thwackey are just amazing wincons with their excellent priority and allowed me to run slower bulkier Pokemon to fulfil supportive roles such as Rocks Pilo, Toxic Knock Gurdurr which I've become very fond of, and Taunt Super Fang Bat which is incredible against non-Ghost-type walls. This game went much better and I didn't expected Gastly Munchlax from Dragon at all since it somewhat destroyed my team but I managed to still get the win.

Semis vs Friso :kadabra: :golbat: :tangela: :clefairy: :gurdurr: :electabuzz:

I wanted to bring some sort of Psychic-type which wasn't Duosion to abuse the lack of Psychic-resists on Friso's teams and was never a big fan of Galarian Mr. Mime, so I settled for Kadabra instead. Life Orb Kadabra is super dangerous, despite how much priority there is in the metagame to threaten OHKOs on it. I paired it with a solidhazard control core, along with a great defensive core of Tangela and Clefairy to cripple opposing Pokemon with status and Knock Off. Electabuzz is just incredible cause of its Speed and typing (as seen by the fact my BO styled teams all had Electric-types so far). I unnecessarily risked a Brave Bird roll in this game costing me the game but I think Kadabra's cleaning potential is incredible at the moment, and is sevrely under utilised when compared to other Pokemon around its level.

Finals vs Zap :lampent: :raboot: :hattrem: :marshtomp: :ferroseed: :golbat:

I spent several hours writing an RMT about it so I'd much appreciate it if you checked it out here.

Anyways, thanks for reading, hopefully I'll do better next year performance wise and looking forward to future OM team tours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)