PU CCAT V3 - failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Approved by Magnemite, OP stolen from TONE114

HELLO FRIENDS! Today we will be reviving everyone's least invested project: the Community Create A Team. For those of unaware of what this is, let me give you a brief summary:

Stage 1: We are going to start by picking a Pokemon (and set) we are going to be basing the team around. This does NOT mean the Pokemon has to be the late game sweeper, it means the team will be built around that Pokemon, whatever role it plays. This thread is for nominating Pokemon to be added to a poll. After a few days or once we have enough submissions, I will select which Pokemon are going to be in the poll that will be posted after we decide on a list of Pokemon. This means you have to convince me, and others, that your Pokemon is worth being put in the vote.

Stage 2: We select one Pokemon that works well around the selected one.

Stage 3: We select Pokemon that work well around our Pokemon and fit the team style and test it.

Stage 4: We fine-tune the team based on our experiences in test-driving the team on the ladder!

Finally, please make your nominations actually decent, building around good but underrated sets is fun and encouraged, and while it may be funny to build around Wailord, Slaking, or SD Roselia, I want this team to be at the very least actually usable, so please keep this in mind. Also, make sure to explain your nominations and only vote once. I'll 3-4 days to post nominations per round (maybe longer if others want to give a last minute input) and remember that you can only post one pokemon per round. Voting will take place after a good amount of pokemon are posted, and the winning pokemon will be kept track off below. Any changes to previously picked pokemon can be adjusted as the rounds progress. Above all else, this project is meant to be an enjoyable experience for not only skilled battlers and teambuilders, but also for those who don't really know the meta as well, so they can get a good idea of how others think in terms of teambuilding, so don't hesitate to post even if you're not all that familiar with PU.

Keep in mind we've just entered a new meta with two bans and may potentially be getting the quick drop of Gorebyss in a few days, this is a time where creativity can sort of move forward. At the same time, it's a team project and I'd like to see everyone getting the opportunity to get their sets in.

Our team so far:
463.gif
441.gif
476.gif

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
SD Lickilicky is a really cool poke in this metagame. The set is standard, with EQ hitting rocks/steels, and knock off for ghost types (now it doesn't need power whip), and the speed lets it outspeed 60 Speed machoke. Lickilicky is great as dismantling offensive cores, it is more of a wallbreaker than a cleaner, so can work well with other offensive pokes which can clean up. It also provides defensive utility in checking mons like kadabra, and even when set up there isn't much that can OHKO it without a fighting type move.

inb4 this ends up like every ccat ever

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Return
- Slack Off
- Taunt

Vigoroth is a pretty underrated Pokemon in the meta. This set is fantastic for destroying defensively minded teams with Taunt while also setting up its Attack and Defense, being able to take some heavy damage and dishing it right back out. 12 Speed outruns Adamant Mightyena. Needs Rocks, Steels, and faster Pokemon eliminated to sweep.

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Substitute + Calm Mind Grumpig sets up on tons of stuff like Ninetales and Clefairy and breaks tons of stuff (mostly fat stuff). Speed is for Zweilous and other base 58 Pokemon and rest goes into Spa and HP. Moves should speak for themselves. Really underrated set that would be nice to build around.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Superpower / Low Kick
- Poison Jab

I want to see a team built around Fraxure, in a more official capacity. You don't see this thing very often, despite how easy it is to win with it after Fairies like Mr. Mime and Clefairy have been dispatched. It is actually fairly easy to build around; you can use Arbok or Simisage to take care of Tangela and Clefairy, use bulky SpDef Fire types like Ninetales to eat Dazzling Gleams from Mr. Mime and to beat random ladder stuff like Avalugg, while Memento support from Misdreavus is extremely helpful in letting Fraxure setup. Fraxure, y/y? :]

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam/Will-O-Wisp

At first glance, Misdreavus has always been recognized as a defensive threat that can cripple physical Pokemon with burns and taunts. However, Misdreavus also shows potential of being a set-up sweeper thanks to Nasty Plot and great coverage moves. Moreover, this NP set can catch many opponents off guard by being allowed to set-up on bulky pokemon such as Roselia and Vigoroth. Shadow ball will be Misdreavus's main STAB while thunderbolt will be used as coverage. Dazzling Gleam can get rid of pesky dark types such as vullaby and wreck damage on Machoke. On the other hand, Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers such as Piloswine, Mightyena, and Golem. 136 Speed Evs are used to outrun adamant maxed speed Mightyena.

Duosion @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Acid Armor

In the current metagame, this thing is a monster. Although, like all setup sweepers, it is weak to Taunt, Magic Guard lets it bypass another big weakness setup sweepers have: Status. I haven't seen many games where this hasn't setup on the ladder (although the ladder evidence is not very good evidence). The boosts in both defenses make it so once it starts setting up, it gets harder and harder to stop it. Psychic and Psyshock are pretty interchangeable. Just use the one that benefits your team better. Special Walls are giving your team trouble? Use Psyshock. Physical Walls are the ones that give you trouble? Just use Psychic. This thing isn't that hard to build around, and the only relevant Dark-type is Mightyena and that isn't too hard to beat with residual damage from Hazards + LO. Plus, it is slow so it is weak to offensive Pokemon. Machoke works pretty well with Duosion as a partner because they cover each other's weaknesses and Machoke Wallbreaks for Duosion, but many other teammates can be used. Duosion just seems like such a splashable Pokemon.

Last edited:

Linoone @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Def / 104 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Belly Drum
- Shadow Claw
- Seed Bomb

Keeping it short: only a few pokemon can stop this beast with a belly drum up (steel types). Memento into Linoone then belly drum and it is smooth sailing from there, Linoone teams are always fun for me to build. Add hazards and you got yourself a Linoone sweep. Hope you enjoy the idea.

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Linoone @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Def / 104 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Belly Drum
- Shadow Claw
- Seed Bomb

Keeping it short: only a few pokemon can stop this beast with a belly drum up (steel types). Memento into Linoone then belly drum and it is smooth sailing from there, Linoone teams are always fun for me to build. Add hazards and you got yourself a Linoone sweep. Hope you enjoy the idea.
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 40 SpD
analysis spread, is bulkier than yours

EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 136 Spe
My personal favorite spread, beats max speed missy which is just nice

We can edit sets once the ccat is underway and this might not even get chosen, but might as well drop these here since they both work better than the current one.

Simipour @ Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot
I haven't seen this since Poliwrath left but that sucks because it got better 8(. We need stuff to take out Politoed etc obviously. Also pick me im gasquakee :3.

Kadabra @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute

So since everybody else basically decided they wanted to build around a sweeper, I figured I would go with a wallbreaker instead. Now that Carracosta and Barbaracle have left the tier, I can imagine there will be a spike in the usage of Life Orb Kadabra, since there aren't as many threatening offensive sweepers that are needed to be checked. This thing hits surprisingly hard, and with Life Orb, you can even bluff Focus Sash while also being able to use Substitute to avoid status moves. Overall, I think this thing would be fun to build around and it's a pretty good start for a team.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Relicanth @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Rock Polish
- Zen Headbutt/Stealth Rock

You can escape from Costa and Barb, but not from RELIGOD!

This set works pretty much the same way as the shell-smashers except with weaker coverage moves, and now that it is no longer blatantly outclassed by anything I thought it would be cool to try it out. We'll need stuff to lure Tangela/Geist obviously for this to work.

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Well, setup sweepers are cool and so are wallbreakers but for the sake of variety here is something different:
Leavanny_XY.gif

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Magic Coat

Sticky Web is less viable now that the smashers are gone, but the tier is still largely offensive. Sticky Web lets the plethora of powerful-but-slow pokes that the tier has shine and also makes life much harder for scarf mons like Mime, naturally fast mons like Floatzel or Kadabra, and setup mons like Fraxure or RP Regice that populate a huge portion of the higher viability rankings in the tier. If the rumor is true that we are losing Piloswine and gaining Gorebyss, then Leavanny and Sticky Web will both be much better and more viable for it. I feel like Sticky Web hasn't been experimented with enough in the tier quite yet and this CCAT would make for an interesting laboratory for it.

EDIT: cool, 100th post. huh.

cryalot

senza telescopi
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Knock Off

I'm glad to present you: the powerful three-headed bird!

When your opponent's steel and rock type pokemons are gone, nothing wants to take a hit from this thing.
Dodrio is weak to sr, doesn't have an excellent coverage, but it's really fun to use.
And, after all, who wouldn't like to use a freaking three-headed bird?

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
- Transform

Ditto is honestly one of the coolest and most fun Pokemon in the tier and a solid check to setup sweepers. It pressures an opponent and makes them think twice about sending in a Pokemon, or even setting up because Ditto can counter sweep them. Ditto is criminally underrated in my opinion, and is a pretty fun Pokemon to use.

Reactions: MZ

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Substitute

shamelessly stolen from the creative sets thread.
stalltales is cool paired with electrics and similar on more balanced teams, because some of the weaker special attackers cannot break the sub and it actually annoys teams with it's statusspreading and pain spliting. wearing walls down with toxic is nice too

MZ

Ok, we got so many submissions that I'm gonna start voting a bit early. Because of the aforementioned massive submission amount, you get 2 votes
SD Lickilicky- Anty
BU Vigoroth- Dr Ciel
Sub CM Grumpig- GrimoireGod
DD Fraxure- 2xTheTap/HJAD
NP Misdreavus- V1ctorr
AA Duosion- Explosive Chaos
BD Linoone- Blalib
Sub Salac Simipour- Gasquakee
LO Kadabra- Dundies
RP Relicanth- Manofmany
CB Dodrio- Cryalot
Stalltales- Mael

Not building around ditto because twix is a bad memer. I also removed Al'Akir's leavanny from the list, let's not restrict ourselves to the fairly rigid webs at mon 1 as it severely limits the different ways we can go with the team (I'm not saying your suggestion was bad, just not fit for a CCAT).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)