PU CCAT V4 [final revision stage]

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Approved by Magnemite and galbia, OP stolen from TONE114
HELLO FRIENDS! Today we will be reviving everyone's least invested project: the Community Create A Team. For those of unaware of what this is, let me give you a brief summary:

Stage 1: We are going to start by picking a Pokemon (and set) we are going to be basing the team around. This does NOT mean the Pokemon has to be the late game sweeper, it means the team will be built around that Pokemon, whatever role it plays. This thread is for nominating Pokemon to be added to a poll. After a few days or once we have enough submissions, I will select which Pokemon are going to be in the poll that will be posted after we decide on a list of Pokemon. This means you have to convince me, and others, that your Pokemon is worth being put in the vote.

Stage 2: We select one Pokemon that works well around the selected one.

Stage 3: We select Pokemon that work well around our Pokemon and fit the team style and test it.

Stage 4: We fine-tune the team based on our experiences in test-driving the team on the ladder!

Finally, please make your nominations actually decent, building around good but underrated sets is fun and encouraged, and while it may be funny to build around Wailord, Slaking, or SD Roselia, I want this team to be at the very least actually usable, so please keep this in mind. Also, make sure to explain your nominations and only vote once. I'll 3-4 days to post nominations per round (maybe longer if others want to give a last minute input) and remember that you can only post one pokemon per round. Voting will take place after a good amount of pokemon are posted, and the winning pokemon will be kept track off below. Any changes to previously picked pokemon can be adjusted as the rounds progress. Above all else, this project is meant to be an enjoyable experience for not only skilled battlers and teambuilders, but also for those who don't really know the meta as well, so they can get a good idea of how others think in terms of teambuilding, so don't hesitate to post even if you're not all that familiar with PU.

Now I know PU CCATs are notoriously unsuccessful, I had to see the previous one I was running get no activity and shut down. I want to make this one different because it says a lot about the community that nobody can be bothered to post a few mons to make a team. Plus contributions go towards shiny pixels or the PU Salty Nut Award, so there's also incentives for this to be active. I'll be trying to take a more active hand in this, and work with people on revisions a bit more. Hopefully we can finally finish a team on the fourth go!

Last edited:

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kingler @ Life Orb / Splash Plate
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide / Super Power / Swords Dance

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Relicanth @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

099.gif

Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

323.gif

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

369.gif

Relicanth @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge

085.gif

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 208 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Toxic
I'm going to start this CCAT off with one of the most underrated Pokemon in the tier (in my opinion), Lapras! Lapras is a solid Water check, with access to Freeze-Dry, and is particularly difficult to switch into the coverage it's moves provide. Lapras can also work pretty well with Pokemon such as Altaria and Camerupt typing-wise, and fits the best on balance-oriented teams as it needs reliable entry hazard removal and isn't very fast. Yes!

Last edited:

Leafeon @ Life Orb / Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade / Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge / Baton Pass
- Swords Dance

Good, underrated mon and there are lots of ways to build around this. You can build balance, offense, or even something unique like partial sun if you wanted to.

Change the set if you want to.

Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off

Very underused set-up sweeper in PU despite its monstrous power and it actually has quite a few opportunists to set-up more so then what players give it credit for.

Luxray @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Ice Fang
- Superpower
- Volt Switch

Luxray is an underrated pokemon with a great attack stat. It is a good offensive pivot and wallbreaker and can be built around offensive or balanced teams.

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
CCAT round 4...cool! I love this thread
Regice_XY.gif

Regice @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Easily one of the most terrifying lategame sweepers the tier has, Regice stands as a pretty fun option to base a team around. Many defensive and offensive teams alike struggle to deal with Regice: defensive teams have issues tanking the BoltBeam + Blast combo, and offensive teams are outsped...and when they can outpace +2 Regice, Regice can prove to be difficult to revenge kill. If we want to make the team defensive, it's easy enough to make this into the Tank Regice too, but RP Regice is the best set for a reason. Time to instill the proper Regice fear/respect into the lobby

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Golduck @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

The other day I wanted to build around something underrated, so I discovered Rain Dance Golduck. RD Golduck looks like an hugely threatening sweeper and cleaner in PU right now once it set ups Rain, which can be achieved in different ways. In fact, Golduck is extremely threatening and anti-metagame right now, since Ice Beam and Psyshock along with rain boosted Hydro Pump bone almost everything popular. Golduck also opens up many opportunities for our team to turn out, for example we can go for a dedicated Rain team, or a weatherless offense that builds up to weakening foe with time to get a cleaner sweep, or giving Golduck opportunities to set up Rain Dance.

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Mr. Mime @ TwistedSpoon / Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Healing Wish

Non Scarf Mr. Mime sets have always been kind of neglected even though they aren't bad at all actually. Especially NP variants are almost never used despite being pretty hard to switch into so it could be cool to build around one.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Volbeat (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Encore
Baton pass i feel is a really under-developed playstyle now we can no longer use smash pass. I have looked into it and realised that the best choices would be cm or nastypass with like hypno or solrock/drifblim for the latter, or just volbeat + tail glow. I know people in NU have had success with this, i havent tried building with this yet and there are many options to pair with this. Volbeat can also act as like a set up sweeper annoyance (like directly switch in on set up), machoke check, and death fodder. The spread and moves are fairly obvious, though I wanted to put confuse ray on this but im feeling nice to day.

fyi twix lapras is good but lefties is a lot better than icicle plate (you might as well run specs if you want more power), i used the fuck out of it in december/november.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Muh' Wife (Simipour) (F) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

It is always really fun to sweep with this, just a fun mon in general but it already proivdes us with a WinCon and a water-type, which every team needs.

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Taunt

I nominate this cutie, Murkrow. Competitively, Murkrow is a decent revenge killer, wallbreaker or late game cleaner and with its excellent dual STAB, Krow hits most of the meta pretty hard.

Murkrow is pretty frail and appreciates entering the battle field freely through a slow volt-turn/u-turn user like Probopass.

Murkrow also appreciates hazard removal to efficiently maximise its power and increase its time on the field.

Overall, I would like to see Murkrow being featured in this CCAT.​

MZ

It's been 2 days but we have 12 submissions so I'm opening it to voting now. You can vote for 2 of
Specs Chatot
Bulk Up Gogoat
Offensive Lapras
SD Leafeon
Agility Kingler
CB Luxray
RP Regice
RD Golduck
NP Mime
TG Pass Volbeat
Sub Salac Simipour
Offensive Murkrow

I'm going with mime and regice
As always sets are not set in stone (Twix)

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
First vote goes to Bulk Up Gogoat, a criminally underrated mon.

Also, I'm voting for Offensive Murkrow if either of the following changes can be made:
  1. Thunder Wave > Taunt
  2. Dark Pulse > Taunt with Insomnia > Prankster (ha screw you sleep powder)
  3. Dark Pulse > Taunt with Super Luck > Prankster (haha crits)
If not I'll go with Regice.

mag edit: we can edit sets later

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)