Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the new mechanics, weather has a completely new dynamic in Ubers. Instead of their being a sidelines fight over control of the battle conditions, permanent weather only lasts a mere 5 turns. (or 8 if user holds an extension rock like Damp Rock) How will this affect teams in ubers? Will Pokemon like Kabutops and Omastar fall out of viability or 5/8 turns be enough to maintain their relevence? Will Thunder be as omnipresent with rain no longer ensuring it hits or will it be better to opt for the weaker but consistent Thunderbolt? Will there be a rise in multiweather teams as the two/three weathers clash less and potentially lose their individual significance? Feel free to discuss any speculation concerning rain in this thread.

Okay, overall I feel like the nerf to rain hasn't significantly diminished Kyogre's support abilities. Basically the changes are:

-Palkia gets fucked by most bulky Arceus. Which is a good thing for the metagame.
-Swift Swimmers aren't viable anymore (or barely so, sure Sweep has used them more). This sucks but it doesn't change teambuilding for Rain teams that much because they were kinda uncommon to begin with. Basically, this means you don't need Groudon (for other teams) as much to gimp them with Sun.
-Thunder isn't clearly better than Thunderbolt, unless you run a Kyogre yourself. Funnily enough, this nerf makes Kyogre's rain support even more important for teambuilding because you can't rely on your opponent to be providing all the rain you'll need.
-Hurricane is still a usable coverage move, (Yveltal, Volcarona) but those that relied on it (Tornadus) got fucked. I mean I guess 5/8 could still be enough to do something since you only lose accuracy when the rain stops (unlike SS mons that lose speed and power) but fuck 70% accuracy mono-STAB imo.

I know it looks like Hydro Spam isn't as effective as before but most Hydro Spam came from Kyogre (who has no problem, arguably even better this gen) and Palkia (who was hitting too hard anyways :p). I don't see the rain nerf as a reason to use Kyogre less. On the contrary, you want to run him more to ensure you have rain up for your Thunders and random Hurricanes. (and cause Kyogre itself is even scarier atm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)