Rejected RBY Sleep Cause Should Be Cart Accurate (and other gens should consider it too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
god help me i'm becoming a policy review main gg

First off, I want to acknowledge this has been talked about several times before and this will probably elicit groans from people. However, I think RBY especially requires a cart-accurate Sleep Clause, and anything else warps the OU and Ubers metagames in particular into something that is fully impossible on cart. Anyone who has watched RBY has seen a Chansey vs Chansey PP stall war. In such a scenario, if either Chansey has Sing, it will often use it even after Sleep Clause is in effect just to use up the PP instead of wasting more valuable moves like Thunder Wave, Softboiled, or attacks. This would blatantly lose the game on cartridge if, for example, you used it as the opponent switched in unparalyzed Tauros or Snorlax to attempt to break the stalemale and landed the move. This gives Sing Chansey an unfair advantage in a stall war that it blatantly does not have on cartridge and therefore should not have on simulator. I believe these same arguments can apply to any tier where sleep is legal, and so I would urge knowledgeable people in other gens to have a conversation around this and possibly make their own Policy Review threads for their own gens, but I would rather this thread focus on RBY - it's what I know and I'm not arrogant enough to go around trying to change other people's tiers, though I believe the cart accuracy concern should be a global concern, personally. I realize it's more complicated in later gens because of Encore, Magic Bounce, Relic Song, Effect Spore, etc., so I won't pretend to have a magically good, concise answer, and I get why other gens may not want the hassle.

So, addressing RBY, here's what I believe to be a good Sleep Clause given the simplicity of RBY's moves, lack of abilities, etc: if at any time two or more opposing Pokemon are asleep as a result of moves you used, you lose immediately. Simple enough. This allows Rest as per usual, it does not restrict what buttons you can click, and you can even riskily click Sing in a Chansey stall or you can safely do it if all remaining foes are statused. No restrictions, just pay attention to the game state, just like we already have to for recovery failures and stat reapplication and a million other things. I honestly don't care about the wording as long as that's the end result; if other gens decided to do something similar and the clause needed to have inclusive wording for those gens too, I'm fine with whatever as long as the practical effect in RBY is "you sleep 2 foes = lose."

Here are my arguments:

1. This clause would be cart accurate. The current simulator clause is inaccurate and gives an undeserved buff to tactics that would lose games on cartridge OU. Aside from the above Sing stall, another sim-only tactic is resleeping the foe right as they wake. On simulator, players often go for this at 5 or 6 turns burnt if their sleeper is slower than the foe. On cart, you would risk an instant loss if the foe switched out. This makes it optimal to make plays that are ridiculous on cart because of simulator-specific foibles. I shouldn't have to explain why that's suboptimal and something to avoid, and this should really be the only argument that matters if we really care about cart accuracy.

2. Unlike fully blocking the move, this preserves player choice. Cart-accurate Sleep Clause still allows you to PP stall with Sing, it just means you have to be careful. It still allows you to resleep things. Players should have these options be exactly the same as they are on cart, and this removes the need to code in a million checks before greying out a move like "do not grey out the move if all foes are statused" or whatever.

3. This clause does not massively uproot the metagame and cause mass rejection/a playerbase split. This shouldn't have to be an argument, but it's a relevant detail given how an unpopular proposal can cause a playerbase to revolt and damage a metagame more than just leaving the status quo alone. This is a small fix that, yes, does slightly nerf Sing Chansey, but it does not kill it off, it is not some massive shift like Tradebacks, and it should go over relatively smoothly even with people who are apathetic or against this change.

And addressing some arguments against this:

1. Implementing this is complex coding-wise. I can't speak to this, but if you read the threads I linked, Zarel entertained this exact idea when originally coding Sleep Clause on Showdown, but apparently people pushed back on it back then. Anyway, I would presume this means it is feasible coding-wise.

2. It's too complex for new players/in general. In RBY this is very simple to explain due to the lack of mechanics like Encore, abilities, etc. If we're talking about ladder players, 1000 players already click sleep 12 times in a row without noticing that it's having no effect - instantly losing would actually probably make them learn faster. Also, new players already have to deal with this shit, I think they can understand "sleep 2 things = lose."
1706160082512.png

Frankly, I also do not think we should compromise cart accuracy for the sake of new players, or we could argue for simplifying or outright ignoring many janky cart mechanics in every gen.

3. It's always been like this/it's minor, why change it? Paraslam change came in 2014, should we have left it alone because "it's always been like this" for decades? "It's minor why change it" is also just a non argument, it's a thought-terminating phrase that has no merit in and of itself. Minor inaccuracies get fixed all the time in every gen. Hell, I can think of a half dozen tiny RBY issues that got patched this past year with Counter alone.

4. Ban Sleep entirely if you want cart accuracy/for simplicity. This is equally cart accurate and top RBYers generally agree that sleep is good for the metagame. I am not making an argument on whether sleep is balanced, my argument is purely that the clause is not cart accurate and making it cart accurate is good and not overcomplicated.

5. This is inconsistent with other gens. I personally don't care about this, other gens/tiers have different sleep mechanics and different moves/abilities/etc. that make this conversation more complicated than it is here. I encourage them all to have their own conversations, and I think RBY should do it on the basis that this is good and accurate for RBY. Consistency between gens/tiers is not some inherent gold standard of tiering or policymaking.

6. HP% Mod/Desync Clause Mod/whatever exists so who cares about cart accuracy? Clearly we do care or we'd patch out 1/256 misses, recovery fails, etc. Just because we do not have 100% perfect cart accuracy, does not mean we should not strive for increased accuracy where possible. This is a very easy fix.

TLDR: make Sleep Clause cart accurate so RBY can be more cart accurate overall.

I also have some general tiering questions with this that apply to all gens and tiers:
1. Is a cart-accurate Sleep Clause an option for tiers with legal sleep? Do the overall tiering/policy authorities oppose it, or has it just not been something with any push/momentum behind changing it? If there is opposition, why?
2. If the above is allowed, does it have to be a consistency thing where all Sleep Clauses are replaced with this, or could RBY implement this on our own volition even if other tiers maintained status quo?
3. To what extent is ladder and especially low ladder a consideration? Is there a differentiation between something like the RBY ladder and the SV ladder, given that one attracts far more (and probably much younger) players and is more actively changing?

As for specifically implementing this in RBY, I am open to and hoping for feedback from our many excellent RBY players; I'm sure there are factors I haven't considered and I'm hoping this sparks some conversation so we can have a proper decision on this with regards to RBY, rather than circular Discord conversations with no real momentum toward a resolution.

Teh

the saint
is a Pre-Contributor
Thank you for making this thread Sabel. I was planning on making a thread similar to this since I believe this is something that should absolutely be addressed. I completely agree with everything you outlined here.

2. It's too complex for new players/in general. In RBY this is very simple to explain due to the lack of mechanics like Encore, abilities, etc. If we're talking about ladder players, 1000 players already click sleep 12 times in a row without noticing that it's having no effect - instantly losing would actually probably make them learn faster. Also, new players already have to deal with this shit, I think they can understand "sleep 2 things = lose."
I think it would be beneficial to ask a player using a sleep-inducing move whilst Sleep Clause is active to prevent people from accidentally misclicking. Something like "You are selecting a sleep-inducing move while Sleep Clause is active, are you sure you want to proceed?" Obviously the wording could be slightly different but the message should still be the same. It'll also teach new players the rule without losing them a game.

Heroic Troller

Through the Sea of Time
is a Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
World Defender
Daily reminder that in a unsurprisingly clown move Counter that caused a desync was given a desync patch that doesn't exist on cartridge. I take for granted that the whining for cartridge accuracy would also result in fixing that right? Because there you could only ban the move completely just like Dig and Fly. It was not banned because people are unable to part with their toys and would rather make a clause on the fly even if it made what we play even less "rby ou". Can we have some coherence around here now?

Now, that Counter is mentioned too, I will adress another thing that does not replicate on cart: Freeze. For similar reasons, that clause should go, regardless of what is done after that:
1. Ban Ice moves (suboptimal in my opinion).
2. Make lose the player who freezes 2 Mons at the same time.
3. Do nothing and enjoy Dewgong usage going above 1% (my preferred option).

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Daily reminder that in a unsurprisingly clown move Counter that caused a desync was given a desync patch that doesn't exist on cartridge. I take for granted that the whining for cartridge accuracy would also result in fixing that right? Because there you could only ban the move completely just like Dig and Fly. It was not banned because people are unable to part with their toys and would rather make a clause on the fly even if it made what we play even less "rby ou". Can we have some coherence around here now?
I mean I agree, but the correct thing here is reverse the clown Counter decision and also implement what the OP is saying, which is an unequivocally positive change to the status quo

I empathize with the desire to make RBY more cart accurate but I don’t think we can ever realistically get there. We have an incredible amount of inertia/history with things like sleep/frz clause, and the metagame would noticeably change as well.

Simplified version:
- Freeze clause is not cart accurate
- Freeze clause should not be removed
- Sleep clause should not be removed/edited

To add onto this though, if we take these clauses from stadium, why don’t we also take accuracy check from stadium?

For context, stadium moves have 1/65536 (256 squared) chance to miss. But also we don’t implement the turn 1 protect fail in ADV(?) I don’t think so we can alternatively just make RBY moves 100% accurate.

tldr: Patch out 255 misses unless u also want to remove freeze clause and ban counter.

Please.

Last edited:

Sabelette

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
“6. HP% Mod/Desync Clause Mod/whatever exists so who cares about cart accuracy? Clearly we do care or we'd patch out 1/256 misses, recovery fails, etc. Just because we do not have 100% perfect cart accuracy, does not mean we should not strive for increased accuracy where possible. This is a very easy fix.”

So I wrote this and it feels like it completely got ignored. Somehow every post since I’ve gone to bed has been about Counter, Freeze, or other generations, all things I specifically did not set out to talk about with this thread. If you care about those then please make another thread for them, that’s not the purpose of this one.

These things are not a package deal, and cart accuracy cannot be waved off as some all or nothing standard. We strive for it where possible.

Heroic Troller

Through the Sea of Time
is a Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
World Defender
"Somehow" every post is about adjacent changes and not just what i want to change myself, ew.

It must be a package deal, enough circus-like changes justified with "when possible". I'm tired of people who propose changes because they get itchy on something very specific and try to conveniently ignore the rest. "Where possible" means absolutely nothing. Because it's not "where possible" it actually means "when i like them/when it's convenient" as it is now, unless you can explain what makes them impossible. All the arguments you used (cartridge accuracy) have no leg to stand on if you don't make it coherent for everything else as well.

What utter nonsense to read "it's not a package deal", what do you want the tier to be called then? Gen 1 OU (98% accurate)? Or maybe you prefer Sabelette OU? Cartridge accuracy is a joke argument, the 256 miss patching is not happening because everyone is afraid of changing the status quo in any way shape or form not because anyone gives a damn about cartridge. When counter was at risk another layer of innacuracy was added just to preserve the tier in cryostasis and no one said anything. So yeah if you want to make a change for cartridge make sure it's a package deal, all or nothing. Or your result will not be any more rby ou than it was before your paltry change. It will still be a mod just slightly more similar to rby ou than others.

I'm open and willingly to ruin a 30 years old balance ONLY if it means getting to play the actual real game like it is not just any different arbitrary mod that makes you sleep better at night.

Last edited:

Sabelette

Somehow you've made this about me instead of the reality that people just don't support removing Freeze Clause or Desync Clause. I am pushing for the thing I think has reasonable odds of actually being discussed and changed instead of trying to argue for changing Literally Everything at the same time and getting laughed out of the room. Thank you for making it personal, though, and insinuating I only make changes because I'd personally like them or benefit. I'm not going to engage any further.

MrSoup

my gf broke up with me again
is a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Uncharacteristic post by me but I don’t really see anyone voicing the same opinion I have on this issue.

Your post is well laid out but when I look through your three arguments as to why to implement this, I don’t agree with any of them. Simply put, I do not care about cart accuracy, especially in RBY, a meta no one plays on cart anyways. I want whatever’s gonna make my experience on PS! most enjoyable. Is it heavily based on cart? Yes. But is there a general suspension of disbelief that this is not cart that every single other player has as well? Yes. I really don’t think I’m alone in this either just giving a “I disagree” one liner. How many players when they’re loading up their teams really care about cart accuracy? I certainly don’t and never have.

That being said, that’s not reason to oppose something if it makes your experience better. I do disagree with the preface of striving for cart accuracy after years of inaccuracies, but as I said, I “want whatever’s gonna make my experience on PS! most enjoyable.” Frankly — and I can’t say for certain — I think I would very much dislike this change. The idea of a button being greyed out or having the option to instantly lose the game because I clicked sleep powder twice is so massively unappealing to me. Personally, I think I would straight up hate that. Having my options restricted or having an instant lose button is just not going to encourage me to play RBY on PS! And while it may be enforcing cart accuracy technically, this solution doesn’t quite feel accurate. I don’t lose automatically in game if I sleep two things, so why would I on showdown? More specifically, why would I want that aside from cart accuracy?

I say this because I believe points 2 and 3 are supposed to be convincing of this stance after the initial point 1 of accuracy. But these points really do nothing to motivate me. They’re more of defenses of striving for accuracy, but what if I disagree on that initial precedent? The only gameplay-oriented pro-change argument I find is that it would create different, interesting choices. However I find that our current rule set also comes with its own set of interesting choices when it comes to sleep. Ones that I’d dare say I prefer to the choice you laid out.

tldr I don’t want a greyed out button or an instalose button and I don’t care about cart accuracy. I’d genuinely like to pose the question as to whether people care about cart accuracy, or if they’d rather have a more enjoyable play experience. I’m of the opinion that going more accurate in this instance would make the experience less fun, which is my ultimate goal here.

Teh

the saint
is a Pre-Contributor
At the very least, this proposal should absolutely be applied to the Nintendo Cup 1997 format, since thats supposed to be a replica of an official Nintendo format and that's how sleep clause would have been enforced.

I just completely disagree with this post on an ideological level (I'm not a LARPer I swear.) But if this is the prevailing opinion within the community then honestly we should just abandon any pretense of caring about cart accuracy and mod the hell out of the game to make it more enjoyable (No 1/256 miss, no desyncs, no freeze maybe???) I'm sick and tired of these endless circular debates on cart accuracy vs "fun" so I say we should pick the path we want to go down and stick with it.

I don't see why everything has to be so rigid, as in "all or nothing", or "cart or mod". At the end of the day we should be playing a format that is both enjoyable and that feels like we are playing it on cart. If it's not exactly like cart that's fine, but it should at least feel that way. How we get to this point and what is acceptable is for sure up for debate and I think it's important to guage community opinion on how they want to play the game. I agree with MrSoup though in the sense that, having you auto lose a game because you click Sleep twice or graying out the button, generally wouldn't feel like I was playing the game on cart because that doesn't make you lose the game when you play there. But, having a Sleep Clause in place, which is already in place in other cart formats in Gen 1 (Stadium), still makes me feel like I'm playing Gen 1 pokemon. This is just my opinion though. If everyone else feels differently, then that's fine, make the change. But I don't think we need to necessarily be so strict/rigid/unmoving on how we approach these things.

It doesn't feel like Pokemon Yellow when my sleep move fails due to sleep clause mod at all. It doesn't feel like Pokemon Yellow when Chansey can 1 hit KO my Snorlax with a move that would not be allowed in a serious environment (or at the very very least, would have to have rules around it that are less clean than just bans). It does not feel like Pokemon Yellow when I can't get more than 1 freeze in a scenario where it would be helpful to do so.

Stadium should have 0 bearing on Pokemon Yellow simulator
It doesn’t feel like Pokémon yellow to me when I can’t click a move because it’s gray or if I do someone tells me I lose the game. That feels like some weird Simon Says Rules version of a game I play with custom rules. I don’t care if it can be “replicated”, I can replicate a lot of things that change the game to something else. I’d rather play with a clause from Stadium that I use when I upload my Pokémon Yellow mons to play with against friends. That feels more like Pokémon Yellow to me, as someone that played both games back in the day. Sorry you don’t feel the same way but that’s just my opinion. If more people feel differently that’s fine, we should do the community generally wants as long as it still generally feels like we are playing the same game.

HANTSUKI

satan saves xmas
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RUPL Champion
- Ban Sleep Moves;
- Remove Sleep and Freeze Clause;
- Keep Desync Clause because it's a glitch that would result in a redo in a cart battle probably;
- Unlike the above, the accuracy thing and the recovery failures are fine since the match would keep on.

Break the status quo, let RBY be free :heart:

(and also make it bo1 in SPL)

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
This should have been done years ago.

And the whole concept of cheesing out a win in later gens by somehow trapping a pokemon then encoring a sleep move that your opponent willfully selects for some reason is so silly I have no idea why anyone brings it up as an argument at all.

And our whole shtick here has always been that we try our best to maintain cart accuracy, but we will make accommodations when necessary. The idea everything has to be all or nothing is also a dead-end argument that I wish would just go away.

Wholeheartedly support making sleep clause cart accurate. Not just for rby either, but across all gens. I think the issue in later gens of being forced to use sleep moves is a resolved by allowing an exemption for forced situations. If your options are so severely restricted that you're forced to break sleep clause, then either you're losing so badly that it doesn't matter, or your opponent forced you to break sleep clause, in which case it's on them

I also support implementing DQs bc I think they solve other issues (e.g. Desyncs), but that's potentially a tangent. Whether we use DQs or grey out sleep moves, both are acceptable imo

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I agree with MrSoup in the sense that being forcefully forfeit or having the button greyed out after inflicting sleep would be a massive turn off for playing RBY, and it's pretty lame. Currently I see nothing wrong with the way Sleep Clause is implemented. We are already playing on a simulator with mods and other things not possible in the cartridge, I'm perfectly fine with prioritizing whatever the playerbase wants in the name of making the game better/more enjoyable over adherence to cartridge. Ultimately, the game should be valued more than appeasing "faithfulness," and I think this change would be a negative to the tier and how games play out. This is not even mentioning the fact that if the insta-forfeit was implemented, just misclicking a button would cause you to lose the entire game, which is completely ridiculous. I'm here to play pokemon as best as it can be, and this is not it.

However I do think that there should be a vote held just out of principle, even if I heavily disagree with this.

Also there is absolutely no reason to consider implementing a different version of sleep clause outside of RBY.

Last edited:

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
this pops up every odd 5 years or so and we should at this pt just stick with how we've played with it for the last 20 years. it works well and rby is balanced - lets keep it that way. bringing up this shit every 5-10 years is also dumb in a way. after a certain amount of votes held for the status quo it shud remain unchallenged.

gastlies

running up that hill
is a Pre-Contributor
If we end up deciding to keep the modded versions of Sleep/Freeze/Desync Clause as opposed to going for cart accuracy, then what that means is we as a community have accepted the fact that the game we are playing is not true RBY, but rather a modded version of RBY with several quality-of-life changes. Because of this, I think it's fair to also patch things like 1/256 and recovery misses. Alternatively, we can reject the current idea that we are playing on a modded version of RBY and go for "cart purity." In simpler terms, we have the following two options:
  1. Accept the fact that we are playing a modded version of RBY, patch things like 1/256 and Recovery Failures, and we can even leave stuff like the current implementation of wrap as is since we're not true to cart anyway
  2. Go full cart purity. Make sleep clause cart accurate, remove desync mod and ban counter/psywave (or alternatively make the player who caused the desync lose), ban perfect DVs, and so on.
Right now we're in a grey area, where some things like 1/256 misses are true to cart while other things like Sleep Clause are not. I think we as a community should settle for one of these two options.

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
If we end up deciding to keep the modded versions of Sleep/Freeze/Desync Clause as opposed to going for cart accuracy, then what that means is we as a community have accepted the fact that the game we are playing is not true RBY, but rather a modded version of RBY with several quality-of-life changes. Because of this, I think it's fair to also patch things like 1/256 and recovery misses. Alternatively, we can reject the current idea that we are playing on a modded version of RBY and go for "cart purity." In simpler terms, we have the following two options:
  1. Accept the fact that we are playing a modded version of RBY, patch things like 1/256 and Recovery Failures, and we can even leave stuff like the current implementation of wrap as is since we're not true to cart anyway
  2. Go full cart purity. Make sleep clause cart accurate, remove desync mod and ban counter/psywave (or alternatively make the player who caused the desync lose), ban perfect DVs, and so on.
Right now we're in a grey area, where some things like 1/256 misses are true to cart while other things like Sleep Clause are not. I think we as a community should settle for one of these two options.
I still don’t understand why it has to be an all-or-nothing ultimatum like this. Why can’t it stay as is now, in the grey area, where the playerbase gets to choose what they want to do and what they don’t through voting like we have been since inception? Forcing it to be an ultimatum and cutting out the most popular option (in the middle) will turn people away and cause more arguments. There’s really no downside to continuing as we are with how we decide these things.

Last edited:
i really don't think freeze clause mod is that egregious or comparable to sleep clause mod. on cart you'd just replay the game 1:1 if a second freeze occurs, which would take a while, sure - but is theoretically possible on cart. on sim, we don't have to endure the long and arduous process of actually replaying the game because we're enjoying the conveniences of a simulator, so it just displays to the user as the freeze failing. there are no moves that guarantee freeze that would fail as a result of this clause, so you are absolutely free to just replay the match until the move doesn't freeze. sleep clause mod on the other hand results in a game state that is entirely unreplicable on cartridge as a sleep move cannot fail under normal circumstances if used twice in the game, so i fully support getting rid of sleep clause mod altogether as i've spoken about in the thread for SV OU.

i'm largely opposed to introducing new win conditions to the game in most cases, however i think RBY is probably the most alright gen to introduce such a win condition since moves like encore and torment as well as attacking moves that induce sleep as a secondary effect don't exist? i think it'd also work fine if sleep moves were simply grayed out if an opposing pokemon is already asleep, but i understand the point of view in the OP that preserving player choice in important. no matter which option is taken, get rid of it!

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
i really don't think freeze clause mod is that egregious or comparable to sleep clause mod. on cart you'd just replay the game 1:1 if a second freeze occurs, which would take a while, sure - but is theoretically possible on cart. on sim, we don't have to endure the long and arduous process of actually replaying the game because we're enjoying the conveniences of a simulator, so it just displays to the user as the freeze failing. there are no moves that guarantee freeze that would fail as a result of this clause, so you are absolutely free to just replay the match until the move doesn't freeze. sleep clause mod on the other hand results in a game state that is entirely unreplicable on cartridge as a sleep move cannot fail under normal circumstances if used twice in the game, so i fully support getting rid of sleep clause mod altogether as i've spoken about in the thread for SV OU.
rby is literally the one gen where sleep clause can be cart accurate. spore can miss no matter what you do. sleep clause as currently implemented is highly unlikely, but just as theoretically possible as freeze clause.

don't change what's not broken. don't introduce buttons that lose the game. keep sleep clause as it is.

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
IMO, freeze clause is abhorrent for completely ignoring the fact we deal with luck in Pokemon. Whether it's crits, accuracy, or secondary effects that act as OHKOs. It's part of the game with no real way of ignoring it.

IV.) Probability management is a part of the game.

This means we have to accept that moves have secondary effects, that moves can miss, that moves can critical hit, and that managing all these potential probability points is a part of skill.
And the game is better for it. RBY without freeze clause is just stupid. I legit only see this bs uttered by people who don't even play RBY competitively.
Freezes can still happen but they can't completely swing a game as 2+ Freezes could.

Might as well just roll dice to determine a winner at that point. Freeze Clause and by extension Sleep Clause are artificial rules we put in to make these metas competitively playable. Thank the lord for Stadium (which was standard for competitive play back then btw) providing us with those.

RBY rn is good and skillful and rewards the better player most of the time (as any gen) - why fiddle with something that just works and brings great enjoyment to many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)