ORAS OU Recovery

1K RMTs generally aren't my favorite thing in the world. Often times it's just some kind of rushed, unfinished product that really hasn't been tested or looked over thoroughly (quick heads up, this might not be mind blowing innovation). So yeah, not my favorite thing in the world to see. But, I spend a lot of time in this sub-forum (probably too much time :P around 100 rates and counting by my estimate) so why not post a RMT for my 1000th post? Here we go.

I'm most at home building balanced (as you can see with a quick look through OU Good Cores). Basically fat defensive cores with some offensive weapons to provide offensive pressure. This is just my most recent iteration of that kind of team. Onto the building process, and here's a cool song to listen to because apparently that's a thing.

Started with Double Dance Terrakion as building block

Next I looked at Terrakion and saw bulky Waters and Grounds give it trouble, so Serperior was the next step

I was looking Talon-weak, and needed a solid foundational piece, so Mega Slowbro can next

From there, I went to picking off two of Slowbro's weaknesses, so I added Skarm (for Grass types) and Hippowdon (for Electric types)

Lastly, I had a large Scizor weakness, so I added Volcarona

The Team

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

The star and center of this team. I was at a loss where to start this team, when cool user boltsandbombers suggested I start with this. Pretty solid building block. While Terrakion’s effectiveness has declined in the most recent generation, it is still a dangerous threat. It was actually a really easy piece to build around due to its dual STABs giving it great coverage. Between SD and Rock Polish it can either sweep offensive teams once its checks are worn down (with Rock Polish), or break defensive cores with only a little prior damage (using SD). Not really a true wallbreaker or sweeper but offers a tremendous amount of flexibility depending of what course the match takes.

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare

Terrakion is not without its flaws. Bulky Waters and Grounds give it trouble, and Serperior offered the ability to easily break down both while also doubling as a great standalone offensive sweeper. I also wanted something that could break through Mega Sableye, and between Serp and Volc I’m pretty well prepared to handle that threat. Dragon Pulse weakens Latios enough if I want to cripple it for a RP Terrakion sweep later. Glare is really nice for speed control, and it also cripples Char-Y who I otherwise have to play around really carefully otherwise.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

Required Scizor check, who the rest of my tam couldn't handle well at all. Also, I managed to put my team together without any SR weaknesses so I figured I could afford to give this thing a whirl. Volc plays really well in the current metagame because it is just underprepared for and hard to check in general. I’m also loaded up with Talonflame checks so that isn’t too much of an issue. Just a really strong underrated sweeper that also happens to play well against teams Mega Slowbro doesn’t do well against.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt / Bulk Up
- Roost

Nice suggestion that efficiently fixed my Char-Y weakness while also giving me another stallbreaker. Don't really lose a whole lot without Volc and the added priority is nice.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

This redefines bulk. Really underrated right now, I don’t think enough teams have a gameplan to take it down at +1 or above. The massive defense stat seems useless or misappropriated, but that actually allows for the invest of a significant amount of resources in Slowbro’s Special Defense stat. At +1, this thing is pretty hard to take down. I mean, look at this calc:

232+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. +1 252 HP / 176 SpD Mega Slowbro: 163-193 (41.3 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I know Gard can just Taunt it, but below that, what breaks through? 165 Special Attack Pixilate Hyper Voice misses the 2HKO on a physical wall! So many teams are not prepared to properly break it, and with just a little bit of support (picking off weaknesses and common Taunters basically) it can become close to impossible to break through. Not to mention the sheer amount of physical threats that are just stopped cold by it. This is the lynchpin to the whole defensive core, and probably puts in more work than any other member of the team.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Counter / Spikes
- Defog
- Roost

Cool set that cool user AM has been publicizing recently, and for good reason. Checks a lot of threats to Slowbro, primarily Fairies and Grass types, both of whom can give Slowbro trouble when it attempts to setup. Also provides hazard removal. SDef Skarm still retains enough physical bulk to check some top tier threats like Metagross, which is nice because Metagross can give a lot of cores trouble. Also doubles as a Gardevoir chekc that has access to a reliable form of self-recovery. Most Gard checks lack a way to heal themselves. Spikes is an option for a Spike stacking look but Counter is overall more useful.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

Ah, the always reliable Hippo. EVs might look a little strange, but they allow it to avoid the 2HKO from LO Gengar, who can be a pain for Slowbro. Also provides a very solid check to Manectric and other Electric types who attempt to break through the wall that is Slowbro. Provides stealth rock support as well, which pretty much every team needs. This is a very bland choice, and happens to find its way onto nearly every team I make. I should probably try to branch out from this Mega Slowbro-Hippo core at some point.

So that's the latest squad. As far as threats I feel like I has checks or procedures to most things. Char-Y is a rather large weakness and basically I just try to apply pressure with Terrakion. It can’t get in against half my team so as long as I keep pressure with those guys (Slowbro, Hippo, Terrak) I really shouldn’t have an issue. Serp also does a great job crippling it with Glare as most Char-Y switch-in to take the Leaf Storm. Certain Lando sets can be a problem but honestly what doesn’t it threaten in some capacity. Grass Knot Thundurus could break the defensive core rather easily, but that’s more of a lure at this point if anything. If that gains popularity going Hippo > SDef Gliscor fixes that issue quick and clean.

And now, because I bug everyone else about shoutouts for milestone posts, here are some so I don’t look like a giant hypocrite. Also some people really bugged me about this. Repeatedly.

AM you've come a long way in the past few months, and deserve everything you've gotten at this point. Keep it up man :)

Aragorn the King I know you are on vacation, but thanks for being a really cool guy. It's still weird seeing you as a mod, and I mean that in the nicest way possible!

boltsandbombers keep writing all those analyses! It's really great to be able to blow off steam with somebody about all the crap that goes around this site.

Recreant KEK. Here's your shoutout, keep working towards that CC badge!

Trinitrotoluene really looking forward to working with you more in RMT man. That mod position was a long time coming!

bludz and DarkNostalgia keep working guys, you are both great contributors and going places fast!

-Clone- really look forward to working on the new thread with you man. We're working our way to being big time thread runners!

Forgot to shoutout to Living So Zambian / VN, who played a big part in getting me into this whole rating thing in the first place. For like the hundredth time thanks for all the help and encouragement man!

That's as many people as I could think of, I'm sure there's a few I missed. I've met a ton of great people in my few months here!

Kinda feel awkward tagging RMT leaders, but know I really appreciate what you guys do for this area of the site. A lot of the work is behind the scenes and goes unnoticed, you both really deserve more credit! Thanks for the millionth time for the opportunity to join the RMT staff!

Alright that's all done. I really need to rethink my priorities if I'm spending this much time on a Pokemon site but life is short and this still pretty fun!

I don't know if HP Fire is needed on Serperior. Hippowdown + Volcorona will kill any steel types.

As for grass types:

Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat. Dragon Pulse would be more effective.
Other Serperior- you really dont switch in on opposing serperior with your own. Besides, playing around opposing serperiors isnt that hard with this build.
Amoongus- HP fire doesnt do shit. If it lacks sludge bomb, Serperior wins with Dragon Pulse.
Mega Sceptile- Glare that Mo-Fo, and then it becomes fodder. Or Dpulse if you are already at +2.
Normal Venusaur- you have me here; in the sun, HP Fire is boosted (thats normal saur's only domain) and makes quick work.
Breloom- If it comes in on a grass type (which it wont) then Dragon Pulse will provide plenty of damage. If it comes in, you are likely at +2
Scizor's moves are eaten by Hippowdown
Bisharp is specially frail.... usually a +2 Leaf Storm ends it, and besides, hippowdown exists.

You could consider Leftovers -> Life Orb and HP Fire -> Synthesis, simply because this build allows for it.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Heatran looks like the most annoying opponent for your team because Serperior and Volcarona can't touch it, Slowbro can get hit with Toxic and that prevents him from setting up more than 2 calm minds without taking too much damage, Skarmory also dies from Lava Plume and can't do anything back, and switching in with Hippowdon or Terrakion is risky because of the chance for burn, but Terrakion will be fine since he has Lum Berry. Talonflame also puts a of similar pressure on your team, but Slowbro and Hippowdon can handle it with more ease. Another threat would be Starmie with thunderbolt because hydro pump, ice beam, and thunderbolt kills your entire team, and it outspeeds everything to. One option that can get rid of these threats is Kyurem-Black With a mixed set and a choice scarf, it can serve as a powerful scarfed user, and a great late game sweeper.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam

This set allows Kyurem to 1HKO Talonflame and Starmie, and 2HKO fully special defensive Heatran. He can also be a useful revenge killer because your team is great defensively and Kyurem will provide the perfect offense. This set allows him to outspeed Jolly 252 Lando-T with a scarf, so although Lando isn't really a threat, Kyurem is a great option to get rid of it. You could replace Volcarona with Kyurem because your team had a major water weakness, and now birdspam doesn't hurt the team as much. Serperior and Volcarona provide similar coverage so you won't be missing out on much by adding Kyurem-Black. I hope this helps ^_^

Hey. That's a solid team you got there, i can see that terrakion is back into the battlefield ahah, nice choice, i always like player that try to bring new things. Well i noticed some weakness that can be covered i guess.

• First i notice that your team may struggle against Charizard Y because only Terrakion can check it which is poor but also against Landorus-i, indeed landorus-i can be hard to handle because even if you got Skarm Spe def, you cant really kill it while Landorus can still 2HKO with focus blast and Serperior is risky, you will probably be disadvantaged on legivity. Thats why i'd suggest SpDef Talonflame instead of Volcarona, Talonflame is a solid member for your team because he's fixing many weakness such as Charizard Y / Landorus-i but also Gengar and Clefable/Gardevoir/Altaria which are pretty dangerous. And then Talonflame will give you a priority move which is always better especially against offense.
  • Then i'd suggest to slash Iron Head with Brave Bird on Skarmory, because Diancie-Mega is more than a threat for your team, it can OHKO/2HKO most of your team and if you're running Brave Bird you wont be able to hit him with efficiency.
I hope I helped and good luck with your team.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt / Bulk Up
- Roost

I never use balance teams so I wouldn't know about your moves and all, but the majority of your team seems to struggle against offense rotom-w who can pick off free volt switch momentum from forced switches. (Tbolt 2hkos slowbro and skar, while hydro pump destroys volcarona and hippowdon.)

Serp can kill rotom if necessary, but even terrakion can be outrun by the odd scarf variant.

Seconding volcarona switch to kyurem-b who resists both rotor stab.

Edit: noticed: That would wreck your team synergy though. Forget kyurem. Also physical bias. If you didn't have mega, I'd actually recommend y Zard:)

Last edited:
Hey. That's a solid team you got there, i can see that terrakion is back into the battlefield ahah, nice choice, i always like player that try to bring new things. Well i noticed some weakness that can be covered i guess.

• First i notice that your team may struggle against Charizard Y because only Terrakion can check it which is poor but also against Landorus-i, indeed landorus-i can be hard to handle because even if you got Skarm Spe def, you cant really kill it while Landorus can still 2HKO with focus blast and Serperior is risky, you will probably be disadvantaged on legivity. Thats why i'd suggest SpDef Talonflame instead of Volcarona, Talonflame is a solid member for your team because he's fixing many weakness such as Charizard Y / Landorus-i but also Gengar and Clefable/Gardevoir/Altaria which are pretty dangerous. And then Talonflame will give you a priority move which is always better especially against offense.
  • Then i'd suggest to slash Iron Head with Brave Bird on Skarmory, because Diancie-Mega is more than a threat for your team, it can OHKO/2HKO most of your team and if you're running Brave Bird you wont be able to hit him with efficiency.
I hope I helped and good luck with your team.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt / Bulk Up
- Roost
Thanks for the suggestion, it really fits well! I initially tried for more of an offensive look in that slot but this also works really well in terms of checking Char-Y and all the other stuff you mentioned. Iron Head is cool too, I've been going back and forth between that and Brave Bird quite a bit. IH doesn't break Sturdy so that's another plus.
Heatran looks like the most annoying opponent for your team because Serperior and Volcarona can't touch it, Slowbro can get hit with Toxic and that prevents him from setting up more than 2 calm minds without taking too much damage, Skarmory also dies from Lava Plume and can't do anything back, and switching in with Hippowdon or Terrakion is risky because of the chance for burn, but Terrakion will be fine since he has Lum Berry. Talonflame also puts a of similar pressure on your team, but Slowbro and Hippowdon can handle it with more ease. Another threat would be Starmie with thunderbolt because hydro pump, ice beam, and thunderbolt kills your entire team, and it outspeeds everything to. One option that can get rid of these threats is Kyurem-Black With a mixed set and a choice scarf, it can serve as a powerful scarfed user, and a great late game sweeper.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam

This set allows Kyurem to 1HKO Talonflame and Starmie, and 2HKO fully special defensive Heatran. He can also be a useful revenge killer because your team is great defensively and Kyurem will provide the perfect offense. This set allows him to outspeed Jolly 252 Lando-T with a scarf, so although Lando isn't really a threat, Kyurem is a great option to get rid of it. You could replace Volcarona with Kyurem because your team had a major water weakness, and now birdspam doesn't hurt the team as much. Serperior and Volcarona provide similar coverage so you won't be missing out on much by adding Kyurem-Black. I hope this helps ^_^
The only issue I have with this is it makes me way more Scizor weak. I've got two of the strongest Talon checks out there so that's not really an issue, and offensive Starmie is rare, even rarer with Thunderbolt. I would rather take the match-up disadvantage to TBolt Starmie than get hit up hard by Scizor or Mega Scizor. Really nice formatted rate though man :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)