Changelog:
-Scizor Replaced with Metagross
-Empoleon Replaced with Magnezone
-Threat List updated with Gliscor
-Tyranitar's Moveset modified
-Gyarados' EV Spread updated
(Changes will be bolded)

OLD TEAM AND STORY

I stopped playing for a long time, but ever since I got a job again, I find myself sometimes craving for something to do during my break. Shoddy showed itself again, and here I am. First off, I'd like to start with my old team that I used to ladder with for a good while. It got me quite far, but it had quite a few shortcomings. First of all, the defensive core was not as stable as I hoped it to be; it stretched across the entire team, which means I had to switch alot. Being Bulky Offense, losing a member of the team almost meant certain defeat, and the first one to go was usually Rotom or Swampert, two of the more important members. Another problem I had was handling stat-uppers in general; SDLucario and DDMence threaten it badly.

(Standard Lead)
(Bulky Gyarados)
(Gimmicky Set with Recover/CM/Dragon Pulse/HP Fire)
(Standard Rotom)
(Standard CB)
(Cursetar)

Coming back to the game after a while, I decided to give the team a revamp. I tried to play a Gyarados-based team, changing his moveset to the more Offensive LO one and playing around with team mates, but none of them ever got off the ground; I didn't have answer to Infernape, Salamence or other popular threats. I also tried using a Roserade lead over Swampert in an attempt to get Momentum quickly, but it seemed to lose out to other leads more than not and how fragile it was was a little disappointing.

After a while, instead of trying to figure out which members to replace, I tinkered around with the defensive core a little. Looking at my team, Tyranitar would make a suitable lead; I moved him there. However, that would mean that I lacked a status absorber. I decided to make Swampert a Cursepert and left it from there. I also replaced HP Fire on Latias with Roar as I also lacked a good Phazer. It seemed to do better from there, but Scizor could only revenge kill so many threats. So, I gave Rotom a Choice Scarf and made it more of a Backup Sweeper/Revenger Killer and counter to Suicune and friends who love to stat up. However, after playing for a while, I found out the real things that threatened my team as a whole; the lack of any real offensive power and not as many resists as I hoped. Looking at my team on Marriland team builder, I decided to replace Swampert with Empoleon; serving as one of the "Core" sweepers together with Gyarados and Latias, my team seemed to go off pretty good from there.

Here's the team as it is now, together with descriptions.

AT A GLANCE

THE LEAD
Tyranitar. He gets things moving.

@Lum Berry
Careful, 252 HP, 126 ATK, 132 SpD
~Stone Edge
~Payback
~Rest

~Stealth Rock

Looking at the top 10 Leads, I realized how Swampert was forced to attack most of them. I wanted to get rocks up quickly as it was pretty important to the team, so I decided to let Tyranitar take the lead instead. Against faster leads like Azelf and Aerodactyl I usually use Stone Edge first and see how they react from there; if not I set up rocks alongside them. Metagross, Swampert, Hippowdon and other slower leads usually let me set up rocks alongside them too, but I have to use Protect if I'm up against something that immediately threatens me, namely Infernape and Machamp. Of course they know I'll switch out, but usually they'll know I'll do so and attempt to one-up me somehow, like Infernape using U-Turn first to nearly kill off my Latias as I switch her to take the incoming Close Combat. There is but one lead that this Tyranitar cannot beat, and that is Ninjask; I usually have to go to Latias to Roar it out, but a smart trainer might catch on and maim it with X-Scissor. I'm considering replacing Protect with Roar and turning Latias into a bulky sweeper instead.

Tyranitar's moveset is also pretty much still floating; I'm thinking of using Crunch instead of Pursuit and Taunt over Protect.

Super-Effective special attacks are soaked up pretty easily because of the Special defense EVs and Sandstorm boost, but stuff like LO Starmie threatens me to no tomorrow. More on that later. Fighting, Steel and Ground type attacks are handled by the combination of Gyarados, Rotom and Latias.

THE DEFENSIVE CORE
What's special about this is that Gyrarados and Latias can both sweep at a moment's notice by using their respective boosting moves. Rotom is the only way I can deal with SkarmBliss + Gliscor teams, Crocune, Gengar, Opposing Rotoms and Steels in general, so he's a pretty integral member.

@Leftovers
Adamant, 156 HP, 108 ATK, 60 DEF, 184 SPE
~Waterfall
~Stone Edge
~Taunt
~Dragon Dance

The first part of what makes this team work. Bulkydos has always been one of my favourite Pokemon ever since the start of the D/P Generation and has always been more or less a part of my teams. This guy comes in on physical threats and sponges their attacks like a man. From there, depending on what kind of threat it is, I either Taunt them to start setting up or use Waterfall. If it's the first switch-in, I usually opt to use Waterfall first as Dragon Dance and Gyarados are synonymous to each other and I want to deal damage to whatever switches in to check or threaten my Gyarados.

Electric Attacks that would otherwise make a nice dinner out of Gyarados can be taken by Latias or Rotom, although if Tyranitar is still alive by then he can take those attacks too. Rock-type attacks that usually come from opposing Tyranitar or Stone Edge from various physical sweepers are taken by one of my two Steel-Type sweepers, but I might stay in if I managed to intimidate the aggressor; as long as it dosen't have STAB, it won't make too huge of a dent.

@Leftovers
Timid, 176 HP, 252 SPE, 64 SpA, 16 SpD
~Calm Mind
~Dragon Pulse
~Recover
~Roar

Second part of the defensive Combo. Her role is the same; Latias covers for all of the annoying switch-ins against Tyranitar and Gyarados that appear all the time, the list including Rotom, Starmie, Zapdos, Scizor, Suicune and friends. I needed a specially bulky Pokemon that could take hits from those fiends and set-up on the process, at least chasing them away and threatening a sweep on my own. I replaced HP Fire with Roar in order to have a fighting chance against stat uppers and to shuffle their team around to wear down threats that are weak to rocks.

On my inital switch to take the attack aimed at my other members, I'll usually switch out to Scizor or Empoleon to scout for anything that would seal her fate with Pursuit. In the same vein, Ghost and Dark attacks can be taken by Empoleon or Scizor. Usually Weavile or Tyranitar, my Sweepers can deal with the both of them easily. Ice-Type attacks are again, taken by either of my Sweepers or Tyranitar if he's still fighting fit. Bug-Type attacks, usually aimed at Latias by Scizor, will be greeted with Rotom or Gyarados. If I know he's not going to Superpower, I can also switch Empoleon in.

@Choice Scarf
Timid, 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 SPE
~Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt
~Overheat
~Trick

The third part of my defensive core, and my answer to Machamp or any fighters that think they can break through me easily. Rotom has gone through the most reiterations than any of my other team members; I've tried Boosting Sweeper, Resttalk, Standard and even a gimmick variant with Sub and Toxic, but as it stands now Choice Scarf seems to be the best fit for him and my team right now. Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball put dents in things that don't resist them and can put holes in things that would otherwise check the rest of my team mates. The wonderful thing about Trick is that it will cripple Defensive Threats that would otherwise wall me to no tomorrow; I'm looking at you, Skarmbliss. Rotom also serves as my revenge killer against things that Scizor cannot efficiently Bullet Punch, mainly Agility Zapdos, Metagross and the like.

Since shares almost exactly the same weaknesses Latias has, I can go to the same members that would otherwise kill him, but I can deal with them differently. If something like a Weavile switches into me, Thunderbolt is usually a 2HKO; after that, they lose their Latias counter so I have an easier time sweeping.

THE SWEEPERS
Although they both share some common weaknesses, they both clean-up the opposing team or sweep on their own.

@Choice Scarf
Jolly, 252Atk, 252 SPE, 4HP
~Iron Head
~Ice Punch
~Zen-Headbutt
~U-Turn/Trick

As suggested by Aircraft Cemetery. Still testing it out to give a proper write-up, so bear with me for now... sorry!

@ Occa Berry
Adamant, 244 HP / 12 Spe / 252 Atk
~Meteor Mash
~Bullet Punch
~Explosion
~Pursuit

Thanks to Plus for suggesting this. Although I lose out on the pure power and scouting ability Scizor gives me, I get something that can check most of the things that threaten my team and go explosion on something that would otherwise wall me. Meteor Mash hurts things that resist it a little and Pursuit lets me trap the numerous Latias that try to otherwise kill my own or my other team members.

However, the lack of a ground resist opens up another weakness in my team, but it's nothing 3 Pokemon immune to ground-type attacks can't handle. When it comes down to this, however, I think I might need to give Latias a more physically defensive spread. The Fire type-attacks can be eaten because of the Occa Berry, especially if they come from Pokemon without STAB. However, once the berry is gone, if for one reason or another I have to keep Metagross alive, I'll direct them to Latias, Gyarados or Empoleon.

CONSIDERATIONS:
Replacing Empoleon with Wish Vaporeon. Would be able to be sweep, although not as well, and help the rest of the team survive with Wish. Haven't tried it yet though, but it dosen't seem like a good idea. I don't want to give up the Resistances Empoleon's Water/Steel typing gives. I might give Empoleon the Sub+3 Attacks set too, but Grass Knot offers me not much in terms of coverage; Surf+Sub beats Swampert already.
Giving Latias a more defensive EV spread. Calm Mind boosts my Special Defense already, but I need her to handle Gliscor.

REPLACED MEMBERS:
(by Metagross)
@Choice Band
Adamant, 160 HP, 252 ATK, 96 SpD
~Bullet Punch
~Pursuit
~U-Turn
~Superpower

(by Magnezone)
@Petaya Berry
Modest, 12 HP, 12 DEF, 232 SPE, 252 SpA
~Agility
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Substitute

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

THREATS LIST
More will be added as soon as they are discovered!

LIFE ORB STARMIE
THREAT LEVEL: lllll HIGH
Still a powerhouse, but it's more easily handled now. Although I still have to sacrifice a team member to get Rotom or Metagross in, it's not as bad as it used to be.

GENGAR + MAGNEZONE
I can never take too many precautions over this. Every time I see a GENGAR switch-in I tremble; Scizor is the only Pokemon on my team that can take on it safely, and even so it puts me in a luck-based position. Thunderbolt is an occasional 2HKO and Shadow Ball does ~25%, with Stealth Rock already brings me near half-life. Now I'm given the chance of using either Bullet Punch, Superpower, U-Turn or switch out; all 3 of these options leave me with huge risks and losses to be made. Bullet Punch means I can KO Gengar, but if he has a Magnezone I've just lost a perfectly healthy and extremely needed team member. If I use Superpower or U-Turn, I risk him using Sub, putting me in a more unfavorable spot, or simply outspeeding me and roasting Scizor with HP Fire. I grouped these two together because of the Collective threat that they both hold together. although GENGAR immediately threatens to sweep my team more badly. However, once it traps Scizor, it's almost all over. Magnezone is handled to a certain extent by Latias, and Tyranitar, though.

KINGDRA
Narrowing down the threat a little more, the Rain Dance variants are the main ones that kill me. I can deal with Kingdra the same way I deal with Starmie, however; sacrifice whoever's already out and bring in Metagross to go boom.

GLISCOR
Although my team has 3 ground weaks, my team also has 3 ground immune Pokemon. However, the dancing tank variant of Gliscor is a pain in the butt to deal with; once it gets a Swords Dance off, the only safe switch-in is Latias who can threaten to 2HKO with Dragon Pulse against Gliscor without any Special Defense EVs, or Rotom with his Shadow Ball. Either way, one of them is going down, and my defensive Core breaking down is not something I want happening.

I am not sure why Life Orb Starmie would be a big problem with Scarf Rotom. But to possibly handle both the Starmie and Kingdra problem you could replace Gyarados with your own very fast Kingdra. The only rain set that maxes speed is the Rain Dance special (Modest 252spe), which will give your team problems if it has HP Electric, so you would have to use a +speed nature. The Choice Specs set uses Timid 216spe so that would work because in Rain she would outspeed any Kingdra that started Rain. But if you want a Physical set you could use a Dragon Dance set with a Jolly nature instead of Adamant. Unlike Gyarados, Kingdra can actually stand and fight with Starmie.

Yilx

Sad
I am not sure why Life Orb Starmie would be a big problem with Scarf Rotom. But to possibly handle both the Starmie and Kingdra problem you could replace Gyarados with your own very fast Kingdra. The only rain set that maxes speed is the Rain Dance special (Modest 252spe), which will give your team problems if it has HP Electric, so you would have to use a +speed nature. The Choice Specs set uses Timid 216spe so that would work because in Rain she would outspeed any Kingdra that started Rain. But if you want a Physical set you could use a Dragon Dance set with a Jolly nature instead of Adamant. Unlike Gyarados, Kingdra can actually stand and fight with Starmie.
Thanks for the suggetion, but I'm not too fond of doing that; I'd lose my switch-in to fighting types and Scizor...

The main reason why I have trouble dealing with LO Starmie is because I usually have to sacrifice one of my team members in the process of dealing with it.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, welcome back to pokemon.

Before I give a more indepth rate, I would like to suggest that you run Payback over Protect and Rest over Pursuit. This allows you to deal with Rotom a little bit better, as it can will o wisp you twice to negate the Lum and burn you. This also gives you a status absorber, and helps the team take hits a little better. Next off, take out some Defense EVS from Gyarados and make Gyarados hit at least 184 speed, so you can outspeed base 115s after a Dragon Dance, such as Starmie or Azelf, both of which you wouldn't want ending your sweep.

As for Starmie, I think your team actually deals with it better than some other teams I've seen. My only suggestion for that would be to play around it. When it comes in on Scizor or Tyranitar, go to Latias and Dragon Pulse it. If it is going to Thunderbolt Empoleon, go to Rotom to stop it. Scizor, while still faring quite bad against most other Starmie, can survive at least one hydro pump and manage to U-turn it. However, considering that you're depending a lot on that Scizor to trap the threats you need while I have already suggested you take out Pursuit which rules out a trapper, I will suggest a more trapper oriented pokemon such as Metagross.

Pursuit Metagross is a fairly underrated pokemon and gets the job done efficiently, if not more efficiently than Scizor. You aren't locked into any move whatsoever, and you can also Explode in the face of set up pokemon like Kingdra when you're done. This will allow your team to switch in and out a little easier, as you won't be trapped into a move that can potentially allow something to sweep.

Metagross @ Occa
Adamant 244 HP / 12 Spe / 252 Atk
Meteor Mash / Bullet Punch / Explosion / Pursuit

This Metagross will allow you to check off Gengar and take the HP fire from Mystic Gar, something your Scizor fails to do at the moment. Additionally, you'll take hits from Latias a bit easier, and you can be ensured a 2 for one with Explosion should you be able to trap successfully.

Good luck with your team!

Yilx

Sad
IchigoKurosaki12: I'd give it a try, but then again, I need the water typing that Empoleon has. I need the Water/Ice Resist and at least something that's neutral towards Fire. I'll give this a try if Starmie, Kingdra and friends really find themselves having an easy time, though.

UPDATE:Although his role is different from Empoleon, CS Magnezone has been working fine thus far. I'm running Thunderbolt/HP Ice/Toxic/Flash Cannon.

Plus: Alright, I'll give that Metagross a try. It seems to be working well so far; going boom on a 100% Pokemon is great.

Yilx

Sad
Toying around with Magnezone's Slot again; I've tried Gliscor and Lucario too, but neither of them seem to fit very well, even though they have their individual perks. What I'm mainly looking for is something that resists Ghost, Dark,. maybe Rock and Ice, three types that my team is vulnerable to due to a lack of resists.

also 24h bump

Hi,

You send me a message to get your team rated, so here we go.
First of all, welcome back to competitive pokemon play ;) Although you were inactive for quite a while, your present team actually looks really solid at the first glance. However going into the deeper analysis I do see some things you could improve. Those things mainly concern your huge DD Salamence and your lesser DD Kingdra and DD Tyranitar weakness.

Basically, once Salamence got in a DD it's GG, as nothing in your team will be able to stand up to a simple set of Outrage and Earthquake. If that Salamence is carrying Lum Berry your problems will be even bigger due to 4-6 turns of Outrage. Also DD Tyranitar can be a problem as only Metagross will be able to harm it at all and Metagross will most probably get weakened early in the match due to its very important role in your team. DD Kingdra can also be a nuisance as only Rotom will outspeed it after a DD. The problem is that Rotom can't ohko Kingdra but Kingdra will have no problems against offensive Rotom at +1. What I would suggest is a Scarf Jirachi in order to handle those threats. Now where to put it? I think Magnezone is the most replacable mamber of your team as trapping steel types is not absolutely crucial for your team and outside of that, the Magnet has very little utility for you. This is the Jirachi set I would try:
Jirachi@Choice Scarf
Jolly-252Atk, 252Spe, 4HP
-Iron Head
-Ice Punch
-Zen-Headbutt
-U-Turn/Trick
Fire Punch is not needed as Rotom deals with Lucario and Scizor well. Zen-Headbutt is mainly used for stab and the chance to hit Machamp for SE damage. Also it is your best bet against Kingdra (2hkoing after Stealthz Rocks and 2 turns of Sand Storm) and the 40% Flinch chance is always nice to have. In the last slot U-Turn is probably the superior choice as your team already has a Trick Scarfer.

Outside of that your team really doesn't need any major changes. Therefore just a few further nitpicks:

Tyranitar: Lum Berry won't activate your self induced sleep iirc, so Chesto Berry is the item of choice. Also 32 Atk EVs will suffice to get some crucial kos against Sash leads with Sand Stream, so you should use the remaining EVs to boost your special defense.

Gyarados: I would only move some EVs from Attack to Defense in order to take hits better, I think 36 would be okay. Other that that, great choice for your team and nothing to change.

Latias: Very good moveset. The EVs can be customized, in fact there are many spreads that work on this set, so you can keep yours.

Rotom-H: As your team is more balanced than really offensive I think moving some EVs from SpAtk to HP would be appreciated. Even without any SpAtk investment you will score the most important kos, which are: Bulky Gyara even Without SR, Gengar after SR, offensive Starmie after SR, Scizor without SR, Lucario without SR, 2hko on Vaporeon, 2hko on +1SpDef offensive Suicune. As you see max SpAtk is not needed. You can move as many EVs as you want, maybe you should do some calcs yourself and act accordingly.

Really cool idea to use Pursuit Meta over Scizor. Although you could miss the Bullet Punch and U-Turn sometimes this set also has its advantages and if you say it works, keep it.

Hope this helped. Good Luck !

Yilx

Sad
Jirachi@Choice Scarf
Jolly-252Atk, 252Spe, 4HP
-Iron Head
-Ice Punch
-Zen-Headbutt
-U-Turn/Trick

Tyranitar: Lum Berry won't activate your self induced sleep iirc, so Chesto Berry is the item of choice. Also 32 Atk EVs will suffice to get some crucial kos against Sash leads with Sand Stream, so you should use the remaining EVs to boost your special defense.

Rotom-H: As your team is more balanced than really offensive I think moving some EVs from SpAtk to HP would be appreciated. Even without any SpAtk investment you will score the most important kos, which are: Bulky Gyara even Without SR, Gengar after SR, offensive Starmie after SR, Scizor without SR, Lucario without SR, 2hko on Vaporeon, 2hko on +1SpDef offensive Suicune. As you see max SpAtk is not needed. You can move as many EVs as you want, maybe you should do some calcs yourself and act accordingly.
Wow, that was a really comprehensive rate; thanks alot!

First off, I'd like to say that I tried Jirachi for the slot already, but only the boosting sweeper set; I have not tried this one yet. I'll give it a shot; it seems like a really good idea.

Tyranitar has 126 ATK EVs right now; you're saying I should reduce it to 32 and put them into SDEF instead?

I'll try to play around with Rotom's SpATK EVs and see what I get. Currently using 88.

UPDATE: One problem Metagross has is a distinct lack of coverage. I'm thinking of changing Bullet Punch for Earthquake or Thunderpunch since I already have 2 revenge killers on my team.
Jirachi also has the problem of letting others set up too easily; I have to be very careful with which move I choose to use or it usually spells at least 1-2 of my Pokemon dying because of a Scizor or Lucario setting up SD or something.

Hi again,

I'm glad my post already helped.
Now let's move on to the further questions.

First, yes, you are right, you will have to be very careful with Jirachi, just like with every Scarfed Revenge killer. During the early stages of a battle you should try to use U-Turn first to scout for magnezones and other things that could exploit your Jirachi and set up on it. But I really think that it is needed to deal with DD Salamence and other threats.

Second, yes I think you could move those Atk EVs to SpDef. 32Atk EVs will be enough to get Smeargle and Roserade under 6% so they will die from Sandstorm at the end of the turn no matter if Sashed or not. The thing is that I feel you can need as much special bulk as possible. However it is also absolutely okay to use more Attack and less SpDef if it fits you, that choice is up to you. I just told you what would be most efficient in my opinion.

Rotom: Good, just experiment to find the spread that suits you.

And yeah the coverage is something TrapperGross has problems with. ThunderPunch, IcePunch and EQ are all viable. EQ should be the superior choice but Ice Punch can hit Latias that dare to stay in, Gliscor and Salamence for the ohko, which sounds very appealing. TPunch seems to have the least utility for you, so you should test IP and EQ first.

Really nice and solid team by now. Have a nice day !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)