RMT: Not Another...Dragonite Sweep!

Dragonite is my favorite pokemon of all time, but has been seeing hardly any usage due to SD Garchomp. I am not one of those ignorant people who is going to say that Dragonite is 100% better than Garchomp, seeing as it has a Stealth Rock weak, no SD, no immunity to sandstorm, a rather worthless trait, and no STAB EQ. However, it does have a unique combination that no other OU dragon shares, and this is enough for me to actually be able to use him with success. As you can probably tell, this team is going to be built around Dragonite's strength's and weaknesses.

What gives Dragonite problems?:
-Steels(e.g. Skarmory, Bronzong, Metagross, Steelix)
-Bulky Grounds(e.g. Hippowdon, Swampert, Donphan, Gliscor)
-Bulky Waters(e.g. Suicune, Slowbro, Swampert)
-Ice Sharders w/STAB(e.g. Weavile, Mamoswine)
-Stealth Rocks
-Random Choice Scarfers(e.g. Gengar w/HP Ice, Heracross, Garchomp)
-Status(e.g. Burn, Paralysis, etc.)
-Cresselia

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EV: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Substitute
-Magnet Rise

Magnezone+Dragonite form a nice core, resisting every single type in the game. With Magnet Rise, no steel, with the exception of Steelix, can break him(assuming I make it in on a CB Meteor Mash from Metagross, instead of EQ).

What does this take care of for Dragonite?:
-Steels(e.g. Skarmory, Bronzong, Metagross, Steelix)

-Cresselia

Resists: Normal, Electric, Grass, Ice, Poison, Flying, Psychic, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, Steel, Dark

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EV: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power [Ice}
-Recover
-Thunder Wave

Celebi slows down the opposition with Thunder Wave, and counters quite a few physical threats. With STAB Grass Knot, Gyarados is no longer an issue. Recover and its nice defenses allow it to constantly switch into ScarfChomp if it gets any bright ideas. HP Ice is specifically for dragons and other grasser, mainly Breloom.

-Bulky Waters(e.g. Suicune, Slowbro, Swampert)
-Random Choice Scarfers(e.g. Garchomp)

Resists: Water, Electric, Grass, Fighting, Ground, Psychic

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
EV: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 Spe
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Gyarados is a nice pokemon to have on any team, due to its nice resistances to bug, fire, fighting, and its immunity to ground. It does have more resistances, but those are the ones this team appreciates the most. The spread gives it 251 defense, and a bonus point in defense because of it. The speed beats out max speed Adamant Tyranitar and min speed Gliscor by a point, while tying with max speed Breloom. This serves as my Swampert switchin, as well as a decent counter for Weavile and Mamoswine. That is right, I said Mamoswine. Even if I mispredict and switch into a LO Stone Edge, I will only take 58% maximum, and a maximum of 67% from a CB Stone Edge, with Intimidate factored in for each. Rest and Sleep Talk give it more longevity while Sleep Talk allows him to absorb status.

-Ice Sharders w/STAB(e.g. Weavile, Mamoswine)
-Random Choice Scarfers(e.g. Heracross, Garchomp)

Resists: Fire, Water, Fighting, Ground, Bug, Steel

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
EV: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Rest
-Ice Shard

I don't understand why people don't use this anymore, as it is truly a beast. Rapid Spin removes Stealth Rocks and other entry hazards, which is nice for everyone. Ice Shard can help wear down ScarfChomp or even eliminate Yache Chomp's Berry, thus allowing Celebi to move in for a possible kill. The key to this set is Rest. Yes, I know that without Sleep Talk it makes him set up fodder for Gyarados among others, however, Donphan needs it to remove status afflictions such as burn and poison. With Rest, this Donphan stalls out most Dusknoir since they will usually use Will-o-Wisp to cripple. Rest also helps when I must eliminate Toxic Spikes, meaning my only spinner won't be killed in a few turns.

-Stealth Rocks
-Random Choice Scarfers(e.g. Garchomp)

Resists: Electric, Poison, Rock

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
EV: 244 HP / 28 Def / 236 SpD
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Body Slam
-Crunch

Snorlax is another great status absorber and general special tank. Because of this it can easily switchin to Milotic, Gengar, and Yanmega. With Thick Fat, this can easily switchin to Jynx as well. This is a special wall that actually does some damage, unlike Blissey, so don't ask for me to use her.

-Random Choice Scarfers(e.g. Gengar w/HP Ice)
-Cresselia

Resists: Fire, Ice, Ghost

Dragonite @ Yache Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EV: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch/Dragon Claw/Stone Edge/Thunder

The key of the team. Dragonite with Yache Berry, Outrage, and DD is pretty tough to take down. I use Adamant over the standard Jolly for regular 2HKOs on the likes of Suicune and Hippowdon. The last slot is up for grabs. Fire Punch is standard and hurts floating steels, but Magnezone destroys the steels Fire Punch would be hurting more than EQ. However, it is an option if I don't want to rely on Magnezone as it can be trapped by Wobby, Dugtrio, and opposing Magnezones who run HP Ground for countering others. Dragon Claw allows me to abuse STAB without being locked in, and helps finish off weakened Gyarados/Zapdos. Stone Edge does the same thing, with less accuracy and PP, but it can KO them without having to weaken them. Finally, Thunder can be used for Gyarados and hitting other waters, like Suicune and Vaporeon, on the switch and hopefully wearing them down enough for a sweep. Currently I run Fire Punch just in case Magnezone dies, but I am willing to use any of the previously mentioned moves.

Resists: Fire, Water, Grass, Fighting, Ground, Bug

So there is my DD Nite team and I am not posting a threat list for a simple reason, this team is meant to setup before the opposition sets up on me. Of course, this is extremely hard as Garchomp requires no spinning like Dragonite does, but it is worth it to use my favorite poke.

Hurray, Dragonite for the win!

Your team is pretty solid, but I really don't think rest is good on Donphan, it gives the enemy time to switch in, set up, and OHKO you sometimes. I recommend Stealth rock over it as it makes Dragonite kill things easier. Other than that, good team.

Sleep Talk Gyarados can actaully surpise a lot of people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)