Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I assume that Tera Starstorm doesn't count as STAB, in stellar tera? So it doesn't even get standard 1.5x STAB, but just 1.2x? And 2x is for regular normal type moves?
The numbers listed are the STAB modifier. It's imprecise to say "gets STAB", the discussion is now "How much STAB?"

Also:

Here's the move dump courtesy of Kaphotics. It has all the currently known and unknown move fields labeled.

Published Link.
Click this to make a copy for yourself.
This is now updated with all the move data for SV 3.0.0.
We noticed there's one more flag at the end for whether a move can be Sketched. This gives us:
Code:
Dark Void
Hyperspace Fury
Breakneck Blitz (Physical)
Revival Blessing
Blazing Torque
Wicked Torque
Noxious Torque
Combat Torque
Magical Torque
Tera Starstorm
We're unsure why Breakneck Blitz is in there; it may be a copypaste from Hyperspace Fury right above it.

EDIT: If you copied it before I updated Dragon Hammer's move desc, copy it again!

Last edited:

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yeah. I just want to know, how much STAB Terapagos gets for Tera Starstorm in Tera Stellar form. 1.2x, standard 1.5x, or 2x like adaptability (aka 1.5 x 1.333)
And I already stated this:
Stellar Terapagos had 4915 STAB multiplier on Tera Starstorm, Zen Headbutt, and Earth Power, first and second click. They were all their original BP.
4915 is approximately 1.2x, 6144 is 1.5x, and 8192 is 2x.

I saw Mold Breaker works on Tera Shell but does Neutralising Gas work on Teraform Zero? Could make some strange interactions with hydro steam or expanding force if sun or terrains are still up

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Guess I'll throw in my findings about Stellar Tera Type.

I set up my game with a debugger last night so I could print out exact values for modifiers and damage. This is what I found:

Stellar Terapagos had 4915 STAB multiplier on Tera Starstorm, Zen Headbutt, and Earth Power, first and second click. They were all their original BP.

Using Tera Stellar Espathra:
It had a 4915 STAB multiplier on Pluck and Tera Blast on first click, 4096 STAB on second click. Tera Blast was 100 BP.
It had a 8192 STAB on Lumina Crash on first click, 6144 STAB on second click. Lumina Crash was 80 BP.

Using Tera Stellar Porygon-Z with Adaptability
It had a 4915 STAB multiplier Tera Blast on first click, 4096 STAB on second click. Tera Blast was 100 BP.
It had a 8192 STAB multiplier Double-Edge on first click, 6144 STAB on second click. Double-Edge was 120 BP.

And sanity check with Tera Normal Adaptability Porygon-Z
It had a 9216 STAB multiplier with Double-Edge. Double-Edge was 120 BP.

My conclusion is that Stellar Tera Type upgrades the current STAB multiplier by one level. Adaptability becomes ineffective, and Terapagos isn't limited to one time only. In other words, upgrading by one level means:
- Moves with no STAB bonus that would normally have a 4096 modifier now have a 4915 modifier.
- Moves with STAB bonus that would normally have a 6144 modifier now have a 8192 modifier.
- For Pokemon besides Terapagos, this drops down to the original modifier after the first use.

I've attached my debug logs from last night's session for each of these cases. Hopefully this explains all the numbers everyone is getting.
Thank you for this.

And it's weird that Stellar doesn't have an innate level of STAB.

If a Pokemon is boosted by Dragon Cheer and then later becomes the Dragon Type, then the increased crit rate from Dragon Cheer on a Dragon does not apply. In other words, Dragon Cheer's boost acts like the Pokemon is not a Dragon unless it was a Dragon at the time Dragon Cheer was used on it.
Does it work the other way around as well, where a Dragon type that has been Cheered becomes non-Dragon type retains the +2 crit rate?

Also, despite not stacking with Focus Energy, I would think it still stacks with Super Luck, Razor Claw, high crit-rate moves, etc?

What is the STAB multiplier on a Normal type move? (or is Tera Starstorm considered Normal even after Tera?)

My conclusion is that Stellar Tera Type upgrades the current STAB multiplier by one level. Adaptability becomes ineffective, and Terapagos isn't limited to one time only. In other words, upgrading by one level means:
- Moves with no STAB bonus that would normally have a 4096 modifier now have a 4915 modifier.
- Moves with STAB bonus that would normally have a 6144 modifier now have a 8192 modifier.
- For Pokemon besides Terapagos, this drops down to the original modifier after the first use.

I've attached my debug logs from last night's session for each of these cases. Hopefully this explains all the numbers everyone is getting.
I heard from someone that the type uses for each move on stellar tera reset when you switch, so are the boosts actually per switch or just per battle?

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hard Press seems to be 100 BP, with it's power scaling similarly to Wring Out and Crush Grip (100 x Current Target HP/Total Target HP).
lvl 67 swampert, 174 atk
lv 64 slowpoke-g, 192 hp 91 def

full health: slowpoke took 95 damage (100 BP Hard Press)
Lvl 67 8 Atk Swampert Sunsteel Strike vs. Lvl 64 0 HP / 0- Def Slowpoke-Galar: 92-109 (47.9 - 56.7%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (92, 93, 94, 95, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 109)

half health: slowpoke took 52 damage (50 BP Hard Press)
Lvl 67 8 Atk Swampert Metal Claw vs. Lvl 64 0 HP / 0- Def Slowpoke-Galar: 46-55 (23.9 - 28.6%) -- 97.3% chance to 4HKO
Possible damage amounts: (46, 47, 47, 48, 48, 49, 50, 50, 51, 51, 52, 52, 53, 53, 54, 55)

Last edited:
Guess I'll throw in my findings about Stellar Tera Type.

I set up my game with a debugger last night so I could print out exact values for modifiers and damage. This is what I found:

Using Tera Stellar Espathra:
It had a 4915 STAB multiplier on Pluck and Tera Blast on first click, 4096 STAB on second click. Tera Blast was 100 BP.
It had a 8192 STAB on Lumina Crash on first click, 6144 STAB on second click. Lumina Crash was 80 BP.

Using Tera Stellar Porygon-Z with Adaptability
It had a 4915 STAB multiplier Tera Blast on first click, 4096 STAB on second click. Tera Blast was 100 BP.
It had a 8192 STAB multiplier Double-Edge on first click, 6144 STAB on second click. Double-Edge was 120 BP.

And sanity check with Tera Normal Adaptability Porygon-Z
It had a 9216 STAB multiplier with Double-Edge. Double-Edge was 120 BP.

Do we know how protean works with the Stellar type? Would you get the 8192 bonus for each move since Stellar type "retains" the original type for defensive purposes and doesn't overwrite it like other tera does?

EDIT: Found the answer a few pages back, sorry about the notification hahah. For anyone else looking for the information:
GENERAL STUFF

For all mons that aren't Terapagos, they gain a single boosted STAB when Terastalizing Stellar, as stated before. This is tracked even on switchout, so you get one boosted move TOTAL per type.

Tera Stellar interacts with Protean the same way that normal Tera does - locks you into whatever type you were upon Terastalizing, whether you had used Protean prior or not, and keeps STAB accordingly.

Last edited:
Less a question for new information than to track because all the modifiers confuse me. All the mentions of the 1.2x Stellar boosts but also not clear myself on how Terapagos's base Normal typing behaves with Stellar Tera vs the Stellar form triggered by Tera.

Can someone clarify what Terapagos-Stellar using the following hits for, in terms of effective BP?

- A 120 BP Normal-Type attack such as Double Edge
- Earth Power as a 90 BP move without "regular" STAB in typical Tera form.
- Tera Blast (relative to its Base 80 + Normal STAB on the regular Terastal for) since Tera is weird with this mon
- Tera Starstorm (120 BP but not clear what modifiers affect this specific move either).

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi.
Does it work the other way around as well, where a Dragon type that has been Cheered becomes non-Dragon type retains the +2 crit rate?
Yep. See the test here. In that video, the turn order goes like:
Turn 1: Gyarados Dragon Cheer into ally Noibats on both sides, do nothing with both Noibat by Roosting at full.
Turn 2: Tera Flying both Noibats, begin using Absorb with the Noibats and Splash with the Gyarados
Turns 3+: Spam Absorb for a combined 40 times between both Scope Lens Tera Flying Noibat, critting every single use of the move.

This shows that both Noibats retained the +2 crit stages from getting boosted while they were still Dragon-types.

Also, despite not stacking with Focus Energy, I would think it still stacks with Super Luck, Razor Claw, high crit-rate moves, etc?
I can confirm it does stack with non-Focus Energy. As you saw above, Razor Claw stacked there. The stacking with heightened crit rate moves was also something I used to prove the amount of boost stages Dragon Cheer granted back in the initial post I made about it.

In other news, I verified that Doodle cannot copy Poison Puppeteer. I noticed that I missed covering that in my previous post regarding using Skill Swap and Gastro Acid on it.

Hope this helps.

Less a question for new information than to track because all the modifiers confuse me. All the mentions of the 1.2x Stellar boosts but also not clear myself on how Terapagos's base Normal typing behaves with Stellar Tera vs the Stellar form triggered by Tera.

Can someone clarify what Terapagos-Stellar using the following hits for, in terms of effective BP?

- A 120 BP Normal-Type attack such as Double Edge
- Earth Power as a 90 BP move without "regular" STAB in typical Tera form.
- Tera Blast (relative to its Base 80 + Normal STAB on the regular Terastal for) since Tera is weird with this mon
- Tera Starstorm (120 BP but not clear what modifiers affect this specific move either).
Tera stellar terapagos using these moves:
Double edge:240 bp (2x)
Earth power: 108 bp (1.2x)
Tera blast:100bp (120 bp the first time it uses the move, assuming that terablast stellar works the same when terapagos-stellar uses it as any other stellar-tera'd mon)
Tera starstorm:144 bp(120*1.2)

In full for terapagos-stellar (credits to the research guys):2x boost to normal type moves (e.g.double edge), 1.2x boost to all other moves (tera starstorm including).the boost is permanent. Tera starstorm is neutral against targets, se against tera'd mons. Normal type remains for terapagos, as far as defensive attribute is concerned, after tera stellar

Last edited:
Not certain if this is possible to test due to the form reversion thing, but if you hack in a terapagos in its stellar form does it remember its original form's normal typing or is the game tricked into making it essentially a typeless pokemon?
Stellar Form Terapagos isn't actually Stellar-type. It's still pure Normal. Unlike other Terastallized Pokemon, Pokemon that Terastallize into the Stellar type still retain their standard typing, as can be seen when you check status after Terastallizing. Even the Pokedex displays all 3 Terapagos forms as Normal-type. So if you hacked in a Stellar Form Terapagos without actually Terastallizing off its previous form it would still be Normal-type. As far as I understand it, no Pokemon actually becomes "Stellar type."

Lots of great discoveries since I last checked, thanks for all of the hard work guys.
Out of my original set of questions, these seem to be the only ones that have not yet been investigated:
1) Mighty Cleave, Tachyon Cutter
Do either of these moves count as "slicing" moves, and thus boosted by Sharpness?

2) Malignant Chain
What seems to be the chance of the effect of this move triggering? Does it work like Poison Fang, which has a 50% chance to badly poison?

Looking at the move dump, specifically the flag for Sheer Force, it seems that Electro Shot is boosted by Sheer Force. I guess it's one of those moves that are manually considered to have additional effects. Can someone confirm in game?

I checked the flag for Meteor Beam and that has it as false.

Last edited:
I heard neutralizing gas now stops proto/quark, does it get rid of the booster energy boost if it was already applied?
It removes it while on the field, but it returns the boost when it leaves.
Looking at the move dump, specifically the flag for Sheer Force, it seems that Electro Shot is boosted by Sheer Force. I guess it's one of those moves that are manually considered to have additional effects. Can someone confirm in game?

I checked the flag for Meteor Beam and that has it as false.

I did some testing with how Weather Ball behaves with the Stellar type. I had a Dewgong Tera into the Stellar type. It knows Aqua Tail, Ice Beam, Weather Ball, and Snowscape. In the Stellar Tera type, all of its attacking moves has a rainbow border indicating they can all be boosted.

Dewgong used Snowscape. During the next turn, it used Weather Ball that turned into a powered up Ice type move. The Ice Tera animation played on Dewgong's head. When selecting a move on the next turn, Ice Beam no longer had a rainbow border, but Weather Ball still did.

However, using Weather Ball again in snow did not provide another boost. The rainbow border around Weather Ball only goes away when used under no weather, in which case it becomes a single powered up Normal move.

I had another Pokemon use Rain Dance to change the weather again. Now, Weather Ball becomes a powered up water move and the Water Tera animation plays on Dewgong's head. During the next turn, Aqua Tail no longer has the rainbow border because the water-type Weather Ball used up the water power-up.

In conclusion, the single power-up per type still applies to Weather Ball when used in the Stellar Tera type. It's interesting to see that the rainbow border around Weather Ball only goes away when a normal type move is used or when it is used under no weather conditions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)