Scrafty [QC 3/3] [GP 0/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

Scrafty can be a devastating setup sweeper, with two excellent abilities to allow Scrafty to setup more easily. Scrafty has Knock Off utility that it can use to weaken its own checks. However, Scrafty is weak to common Pokemon, such as Heracross. Without a boost, it can have trouble breaking through tougher walls such as Milotic or Suicune. Scrafty has slow speed, allowing it to be outsped by base 115s even at +1, and any relevant Choice Scarf user still outspeeds it even at +2.

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance Sweeper
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Drain Punch / High Jump Kick
move 4: Zen Headbutt / Iron Head
ability: Shed Skin / Moxie
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Knock Off is the Dark-type STAB of choice, and can help with wearing down Scraggy and its teammates' own checks and counters, by removing Leftovers and Assault Vests. Drain Punch is the preferred STAB attack, and helps keep Scrafty's longevity. Drain Punch is best used when using Scrafty as a mid to late game sweeper. High Jump Kick can be used in order to provide more immediate power, as well as severely denting any switchins. It should be used when Scrafty is functioning as a wallbreaker on a team. Zen Headbutt is Scrafty's best option against Toxicroak, and it also prevents Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Roserade, and Amoonguss from scaring Scrafty out. It also gets super-effective damage on Heracross, Mienshao, Hitmontop, and Chesnaught, although it cannot KO any except Mienshao. Iron Head allows Scrafty to do excellent damage on weakened Florges and Gardevoir, although it does not always OHKO even Specially Defensive Florges at +1.

Set Details
========

Max Attack and max Speed make Scrafty a strong sweeper. 252 Speed EVs with a Jolly Nature allow Scrafty to outspeed Mienshao after a boost. Leftovers is preferred when using Drain Punch and Shed Skin, in order to allow Scrafty to stay alive or the duration of the match. Life Orb is preferential when using High Jump Kick and/or Moxie, as this allows Scrafty to sweep extremely well late game. Lum Berry is an option when using Moxie, although if you are that worried about status, you might as well use Shed Skin. Shed Skin is the preferred ability, as this allows Scrafty to act as a psuedo status absorber and not have to worry about a Burn or a Paralysis ruining Scrafy's sweep. However, Moxie can be used to steamroll through unprepared teams, racking up boost after boost.

Usage Tips
========

Scrafty should set up on Pokemon that really do not do a whole lot of damage to it, usually Special Attackers. It can function greatly against stall based teams. With Shed Skin, it usually does not mind Burns, so setting up on Pokemon such as Crocune or Vaporeon can quickly turn a match around. Shed Skin also allows Scrafty to be the only Fighting-type to not be shut down by Sableye, granting it a niche of its own. Late game, Scrafty should abuse its unique typing and try and force switches, so as to set up a Dragon Dance.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can set up hazards can really help with wearing down Scrafty's checks and counters. Pokemon such as Heracross cannot handle full entry hazards and a +1 High Jump Kick. With Moxie this puts immense pressure on a team. Gligar is an excellent teammate, as Gligar can beat Crobat, Scarf Honchkrow, and Heracross, who all beat Scrafty. Gligar can also set up Stealth Rocks to wear down the opponent's team. Pokemon that can bait in Florges, such as Choice Band Heracross can make an excellent partner, as Florges is quickly overwhelmed by such strong attacks. Scrafty appreciates Thunder Wave support, making Pokemon such as Slowbro, Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi decent partners. Amoonguss can perform a similar role in spreading Sleep and Stun Spores, although this compounds a Honchkrow weakness. Ghost-type Pokemon such as Froslass or Cofagrigus can switch in on Fighting-type attacks. Froslass can easily set up a layer or two of Spikes and eliminate a key threat with Destiny Bond, while Cofagrigus can switch in commonly on Pokemon like Crobat, or Heracross.

Bulk Up
########
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Rest
ability: Shed Skin
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
nature: Careful

Moves
========

Bulk Up is the main move, often slowly building a sweep against Bulky Offense teams. Knock Off is excellent utility, and helps cut down on recovery. Knock Off also messes with stallier teams. Drain Punch allows Scrafty psuedo-recovery, and can really hit hard with a boost. This is Scrafty's most reliable way to heal. Rest is a keystone to the Bulk Up set, as Rest allows Scrafty to fully heal up, and proceed to rack up Bulk Up boosts again. However, Shed Skin does not always activate, often sealing the deal for Scrafty. Iron Head can be used to deal with Florges, although it fails to OHKO even at +1, so should only be used either on the switch or late game. Zen Headbutt can be used to catch Toxicroak off guard, although Rest is usually preferred in the slot.

Set Details
========

252 HP and Special Defense EVs assure maximum special bulk, and easily allows Scrafty to set up on Pokemon like Crocune. Shed Skin allows Scrafty to potentially get a one-turn sleep, and can stop other status effects. Shed Skin also allows Scrafty to not be shut down by Sableye, putting itself apart from other Fighting-types.

Usage Tips
========

Scrafty should be used on Pokemon that will commonly run a Restalk set, as Scrafty will be able to set up easily. If Scrafty can take a hit from something or force it out, then it is usually fine to set up. Do not set up if a Pokemon such as Florges or Heracross is on the opposing team. It is best to get entry hazards up before setting up, in order to limit the amount of switches on a team.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Qwilfish or Hitmontop can help support Scrafty. Both can do work against Heracross and Qwilfish can set up Spikes / Toxic Spikes. Hitmontop can help weaken Pokemon such as Florges by hitting them with Toxic. Pokemon that lure in Crocune or Vaporeon can help set up a Scrafty sweep. A switch in to Crobat is nice, making Raikou or Rhyperior great partners. Raikou can set up on a lot that Scrafty lures in, while Rhyperior can set up Stealth Rocks. Bronzong is a good partner, as Bronzong can easily beat Florges, while also setting up Stealth Rocks. In a similar vein, most Pokemon that can beat Florges can make a great partner to Scrafty. Paralysis support is extremely beneficial, even more so than to the Dragon Dance set, as Scrafty has extremely low Speed. Slowbro, Mew, and Celebi are usually all bulky, and can spread status. They all can also take Fighting-type attacks aimed at Scrafty. Florges can be a decent partner, as Florges can beat most Heracross sets, and lures in Nidoking and Nidoqueen for Scrafty to set up on.
Other Options
########

Head Smash can be used as a powerful attack. Poison Jab can be used over Iron Head as it has the ability to Poison Florges. However, it has the drawback of possibly Poisoning Guts Heracross and Steel-types are immune to Poison Jab. Thunderpunch can be used to hit bulky Water-types, although Knock Off is usually superior. A Restalk set can be used with Shed Skin on stallier teams, although Sleep Talk usually a waste of a move with Shed Skin. A Choice Band can be used to deal big damage to some Pokemon. An Assault Vest can be used, however it is inferior to Snorlax in that regard. Scrafty does offer Knock Off support however, as well as a reliable way to heal in Drain Punch.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Florges and Aromatisse can always beat Scrafty, resisting both STABs, and hitting with a super-effective 4x Moonblast.

**Heracross**: Heracross resists both of Scrafty's STABs, and can OHKO with a Close Combat.

**Hitmontop**: The bulky pivot set of Hitmontop can take any attack by Scrafty, and KO back with Close Combat, however will be taking a chunk from High Jump Kick.

**Chesnaught**: Chesnaught can easily tank a +1 Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt, and can hit Scrafty hard with a super-effective 2x Hammer Arm.

**Hippowdon**: Hippowdon can take any hit from a +1 Scrafty, and either Whirlwind Scrafty out, or hit hard with an Earthquake. In tight situations, it can stall with Slack Off, however it often loses to Drain Punch Scrafty this way.

**Crobat**: Crobat can generally switch in on Dragon Dance or a Fighting-type move, however other than those moves it cannot switch in. Crobat can do a minimum of 70% to an uninvested Scrafty, allowing for an effective revenge killer.

**Revenge Killers**: Due to Scrafty's pitiful base 58 Speed, any viable Choice Scarf user can outspeed Scrafty after a boost. This leaves Life Orb Scrafty at a disadvantage, as it is easily revenge killed by powerful attacks such as Flygon's Outrage, or Heracross' Close Combat.

**Wallbreakers**: Common Pokemon that are delegated to break through walls can usually beat the Bulk Up set. Pokemon such as Choice Band Heracross and Life Orb Honchkrow still threaten Scrafty, even at +1.

Last edited:
Add the Bulk up set.

Bulk Up
########
move 4: Rest / Poison Jab

Definitely mention Pokemon to lure Florges in Team Options. Also I don't think Poison Jab is deserving of a slash, especially on Rest, really this thing functions similar to CroCune in that in really wants a way to heal itself. IMO just put it in "Moves". Also Assault Vest should get at the very least an OO mention, at most a full on set, it's got nice bulk and Drain Punch for decent healing.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm gonna have to disagree on the including of a BU set...it's just not viable right now

Reactions: g

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Some discussion on BU, especially from QC members, would be nice *-*

will add in other changes form LightningLuxray

I think Bulk up is still a viable moveset on Scrafty seeing as it completely shits on Stall still which is a playstyle that is still being used quite a bit on the ladder/in tournament play so I think BU can stay. But while i'm at it may as well give you a QC check on this.

-In Overview you missed of the biggest limiting factor of Scrafty. It's god awful speed, meaning that it is still slower than base 115s at +1 and every relevant scarfer in the tier still outspeeds at +2 (except krook i spose)
-Mention thunder wave support being very helpful for Scrafty, this can be paired with Slowbro who eats fighting hits aimed at Scrafty and can spread para for him
- Team options for bulk up, mention stuff that baits in florges such as CB hera and can pretty well destroy it, paving the way for scrafty to have far less issues, basically mons that can put too much weight onto florges/overwhelm it
-Remove any mentions of Mega-Heracross since he is banned and likely will never be returning to UU
-List florges as top counter in C&C since pretty much everything you mentioned gets set up on by BU set where as florges still beats it 1v1
-Mention strong Physical fighters/mons with SE STAB beating BU scrafty like CB hera, CB Mien and LO honch even at +1 can still do enormous damage to it
-Remove mention of Mega Garde in C&C since it's banned

Write up all these changes and give me a yell when they're done and i'll take one more look over and give QC 1/3, nice work :]

Last edited:
I think Bulk up is still a viable moveset on Scrafty seeing as it completely shits on Stall still which is a playstyle that is still being used quite a bit on the ladder/in tournament play so I think BU can stay. But while i'm at it may as well give you a QC check on this.

-In Overview you missed of the biggest limiting factor of Scrafty. It's god awful speed, meaning that it is still slower than base 115s at +1 and every relevant scarfer in the tier still outspeeds at +2 (except krook i spose)
-Mention thunder wave support being very helpful for Scrafty, this can be paired with Slowbro who eats fighting hits aimed at Scrafty and can spread para for him
- Team options for bulk up, mention stuff that baits in florges such as CB hera and can pretty well destroy it, paving the way for scrafty to have far less issues, basically mons that can put too much weight onto florges/overwhelm it
-Remove any mentions of Mega-Heracross since he is banned and likely will never be returning to UU
-List florges as top counter in C&C since pretty much everything you mentioned gets set up on by BU set where as florges still beats it 1v1
-Mention strong Physical fighters/mons with SE STAB beating BU scrafty like CB hera, CB Mien and LO honch even at +1 can still do enormous damage to it
-Remove mention of Mega Garde in C&C since it's banned

Write up all these changes and give me a yell when they're done and i'll take one more look over and give QC 1/3, nice work :]
Shits on is a strong word when a lot stall teams carry Florges or Quagsire, and stuff like CM Bro beats it 1 on 1 as well.

Shits on is a strong word when a lot stall teams carry Florges or Quagsire, and stuff like CM Bro beats it 1 on 1 as well.
Noted but CM bro doesn't beat BU Scrafty at all rofl?

Edit: Also that's why I said tie with Strong Wallbreakers since CB hera can go through Quagsire and has a strong chance to 2HKO Florges after SR

Noted but CM bro doesn't beat BU Scrafty at all rofl?

Edit: Also that's why I said tie with Strong Wallbreakers since CB hera can go through Quagsire and has a strong chance to 2HKO Florges after SR
Lol I was thinking of it as a mono attacker for whatever reason, disregard that.

tcr

sage of six tabs
Done! Calloflochie
I also added Florges in as a partner for Scrafty, as it can beat most Fighting-types not named Choice Band Heracross, while also luring in Nidoqueen / Nidoking for Scrafty to beat up on. Both also have excellent synergy so I figured "why not"

Very nicely done, seeing as this is a first QC check and it's already looking nicely written and well covered I have no problems giving this

QC 1/3, great work TCR :]

I know AV set is in OO, but I've used it somewhat extensively, and it has worked quite fine for me. The main reason AV set is so useful is that with a spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd you become quite bulky with Intimidate and AV, and in conjuction with Drain Punch and Knock Off, Scrafty has access to Dragon Tail, which makes it not vulnerable to set-uppers. 4th move slot is for whatever you find useful really, I've preferred Ice Punch. The main faults in AV are that Scrafty's HP isn't all that good, and even when invested fully, leaves a bit to be desired. Also Scrafty lacks a bit on the power department, as even with max. investment you won't be hitting as hard as you would want. However, due to Scrafty's nifty resistances and Dragon Tail, I think AV could deserve a second look (if you haven't tested it already).

Bagon

Banned deucer.
TCR Hyper voice isn't fairy type, and you say florges gets it to hit scrafty with x4 damage. You may want to fix that and replace with moonblast. Hyper voice is, however, fairy type on pokemon with the ability Pixilate, but florges does not get this ability. Hyper Voice --> Moonblast in florges on checks and counters.

Reactions: tcr

Metric

is banned in America
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Regarding the Dragon Dance set, I think Iron Head should be the "fairy-killing" coverage move of choice over Poison Jab because:
  • Flinch chance > Poison chance given that the Fairy in question will most likely OHKO you if fail to kill it
  • No immunities. Can be a good or bad thing depending on whether you're using LO or not, but its more of a plus than a negative.
  • Allows you to get a neutral hit on Toxicroak while still hitting Fairy SE
  • No risk of accidentally poisoning Guts Heracross
This may sound trivial, but I believe it's enough to warrant the change.

Reactions: tcr

tcr

sage of six tabs
Good point, switched. I also took the liberty of adding Poison Jab into OO, as it does have the ability to Poison Florges, which can put pressure on the opponent's team (does it use aromatherapy, or wish, or what????????????).

The Bulk up scrafty set should go before Dragon dance. Here's why I think that: After 1 dragon dance, scrafty is not powerful enough to brake through walls and not fast enough to outspeed scarfers or really fast pokemon (azelf, crobat, jolteon). Also, the dragon dance set isnt bulky enough to get up more than 1 dragon dance.

Some notable calcs: 252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scrafty: 238-282 (87.8 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO. Revenge kills after a bit of prior damage

+1 252 Atk Scrafty Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 123-145 (33.9 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO. Pitiful damage

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scrafty: 168-199 (61.9 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery. Which special attackers are you trying to set up against exactly?

While dragon dance scrafty struggles with these flaws, bulk up scrafty can set up lots of bulk ups against lots of the metagame. And after a couple of bulk ups, it can take lots of physical hits, OHKO most offensive pokemon and 2hko most defensive pokemon who cant do much back.

Some notable calcs:
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Scrafty: 160-189 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 33.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 Atk Scrafty Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan: 231-273 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. About a 50% chance to kill after recoil i think

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Scrafty: 133-156 (39.8 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.
Scrafty can beat it one on one unless it gets unlucky with shed skin.

Now, i'm not saying that dragon dance scrafty isn't good or should be removed as a set. It has a nich in being a really good late game sweeper, but I just think bulk up is better.

Whew that was a long post

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
Bumping for a final QC! Also sorry I never commented >.< I never got an alert! Some discussion from QC members on this would be nice :)

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
UUPL Champion
Add Aromatisse please. Any UU analysis should basically include Aromatisse and Florges in the same vein of C&C when it comes to Physical Attackers.

Also add something about Sableye when you mention Shed Skin, as this makes it one of the few sweepers to not be completely cockblocked by his Prankster WoW

QC 2/3 this is written well. Nicely done.

I dont see what makes bulky waters specially threatening to scrafty when he has shed skin to mitigate burns and has drain punch to keep itself alive against them, i guess blastoise has aura sphere but milotic and cune can do nothing except phaze, which is just a temporary solution while slowbro is setup fodder and gets boned by knock off so i dont think they deserve to be mentioned at all. Also vaporeon is ou so it should be removed.

Am check :]
Remove
Add
Comments

Overview
########

Scrafty can be a devastating setup sweeper, with two excellent abilities to that allow Scrafty it to setup set up more easily. Scrafty has Knock Off utility that it can also use Knock Off to remove the opponent's Leftovers and weaken its own checks. (I assume that's what you meant by this sentence; it isn't very clear :/) However, Scrafty is weak to common Pokemon, (RC) such as Heracross, (AC) . (RP) Without and without a boost, it can have trouble breaking through tougher walls such as Milotic or and Suicune. Scrafty also has slow speed a low Speed stat, allowing meaning it to be is outsped by base 115s even at +1, (RC) and any all relevant Choice Scarf users user still outspeeds it even at +2.

Dragon Dance
########

Moves
========

Knock Off is the Dark-type STAB move of choice, and can help with wearing wear down Scraggy Scrafty and its teammates' own checks and counters, (RC) by removing items such as Leftovers and Assault Vests Vest. Drain Punch is the preferred Fighting-type STAB attack, and as it helps keep Scrafty's longevity healthy. Drain Punch is best used when using Scrafty as a mid mid- to late game late-game sweeper. (Why?) High Jump Kick can be used in order to provide more immediate power, as well as and also severely denting dents most switch-ins any switchins. It High Jump Kick should be used when Scrafty is functioning as a wallbreaker on a team. Zen Headbutt is Scrafty's best option against Toxicroak, and it also prevents Pokemon like such as Nidoqueen, Roserade, and Amoonguss from scaring Scrafty out. It also gets super-effective damage on hits Heracross, Mienshao, Hitmontop, and Chesnaught for super effective damage, although it cannot KO any of these Pokemon except Mienshao. Iron Head allows Scrafty to do excellent damage on to a weakened Florges and Gardevoir, (Banned :o) although it does not always OHKO even Specially Defensive Florges at +1.

Set Details
========

Max Maximum Attack and max Speed investment make Scrafty a strong sweeper. 252 Speed EVs with a Jolly Nature allow allows Scrafty to outspeed Mienshao after a boost. Leftovers is preferred when using Drain Punch and Shed Skin, (RC) in order to allow keep Scrafty to stay alive or healthy over the duration of the match. Life Orb is preferential favored when using High Jump Kick and/or and Moxie, as this it allows Scrafty to sweep extremely well late game late-game. Lum Berry is an option when using Moxie, although if you are that worried about status, you might as well use Shed Skin. Shed Skin is the preferred ability for this set, as this allows Scrafty to act as a psuedo status absorber and means it does not have to worry about a Burn burn or paralysis a Paralysis ruining Scrafy's a sweep. However, Moxie can be used in order to steamroll through unprepared teams, racking up boost after boost.

Usage Tips
========

Scrafty should set up on Pokemon that really do not do a whole lot of damage to it, usually Special Attackers special attackers. (Why special attackers? I'd just list some Pokemon it can set up on :o) It can also function greatly against stall based teams. (Why?) With Shed Skin, it Scrafty usually does not mind Burns burns, so setting up on Pokemon such as Crocune Suicune or Vaporeon Jellicent (Banned :o) can quickly turn a match around isn't a problem for Scrafty. Shed Skin also allows makes Scrafty to be the only Fighting-type to that is not be shut down by Sableye, granting it a niche of its own. Late game When being used late-game, Scrafty should abuse its unique typing and to try and force switches, (RC) so as to and set up a Dragon Dance.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can set up entry hazards can really help with wearing wear down Scrafty's checks and counters. For example, Pokemon such as Heracross cannot handle survive full entry hazards and a +1 High Jump Kick. With Moxie this puts immense pressure on a team. Gligar is an excellent teammate, as Gligar can beat Crobat, Choice Scarf Honchkrow, and Heracross, who which all beat Scrafty. Gligar can also set up Stealth Rocks Rock to wear down the opponent's team. Pokemon that can bait in Florges, (RC) such as Choice Band Heracross can make an excellent partner, as Florges is quickly overwhelmed by such strong attacks. Scrafty appreciates Thunder Wave support, making Pokemon such as Slowbro, Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi decent partners. Amoonguss can perform a similar role in spreading Sleep sleep and Stun Spores paralysis, although this compounds a weakness to Honchkrow weakness. Ghost-type Pokemon such as Froslass or Cofagrigus can switch in on the Fighting-type attacks Scrafty hates. Froslass can easily set up a layer or two of Spikes and eliminate a key threat with Destiny Bond, while Cofagrigus can switch in commonly on into Pokemon like such as Crobat, (RC) or and Heracross.

(I think you might want to reword this paragraph a bit. You talk about how hazard setters are so important to Scrafty's success, but then you don't even list any entry hazards until later (or, in the case of Gligar, you list its defensive traits first.) The paragraph ends up flowing kind of weird; my advise would be to keep the first two sentences as-is, but then move the mention of how Gligar and Froslass can set up entry hazards to directly after that. I can look over this paragraph again if you do decide to rework it :])

Bulk Up
########
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD SDef / 4 Atk

Moves
========

Bulk Up is the main move of this set, often slowly building towards a sweep against Bulky Offense bulky offense teams. Knock Off is an excellent utility move, (RC) and that helps cut down on recovery by removing items such as Leftovers from the opponent's Pokemon. Knock Off also messes with stallier stall teams. (How?) Drain Punch allows gives Scrafty a psuedo-recovery move, (RC) and can really hit hard with a boost. This is also Scrafty's most reliable way to heal. Rest is a keystone to the Bulk Up an important move to this set, as Rest allows Scrafty to fully heal up, (RC) and proceed to rack up Bulk Up boosts again. However, Shed Skin does not always activate, often sealing the deal for Scrafty. Iron Head can be used to deal with Florges, although it fails to OHKO, (AC) even at +1, so it should only be used either on the switch or late game late-game. Zen Headbutt can be used to catch Toxicroak off guard off-guard, although Rest is usually preferred in the slot for healing.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in HP and Special Defense EVs assure maximum special bulk, (RC) and easily allows allow Scrafty to set up on Pokemon like Crocune such as Suicune. Shed Skin allows Scrafty to potentially get a one-turn sleep stay asleep for only one turn, and can stop other status effects. Shed Skin also allows Scrafty to not be shut down by Sableye, (RC) putting itself apart from other Fighting-types Sableye's Will-O-Wisp.

Usage Tips
========

Scrafty should be used set up on Pokemon that will commonly run a Restalk RestTalk set, as Scrafty will be able to set up easily. If Scrafty can take a hit from something or force it out, then it is usually fine to set up. Do not set up if a Pokemon such as Florges or Heracross is on the opposing team, (AC) as they can easily deal with Scrafty. It is best to get set up entry hazards up before setting up, (RC) in order to limit the amount of switches on a team switching by your opponent.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Qwilfish or Hitmontop can help support Scrafty. (Hitmontop was rejected for an analysis FYI... Should probably remove x_x) Both can do work well against Heracross, (AC) and Qwilfish can set up Spikes / and Toxic Spikes. Hitmontop can help weaken Pokemon such as Florges by hitting them with Toxic. Pokemon that lure in Crocune Suicune or Vaporeon Jellicent can help set up a Scrafty sweep. A switch in switch-in to Crobat is nice, making Raikou or and Rhyperior great partners. Raikou can set up Calm Mind boosts on a lot of Pokemon that Scrafty lures in, while Rhyperior can set up Stealth Rocks Rock. Bronzong is a good partner, as Bronzong it can easily beat Florges, (RC) while also setting and set up Stealth Rocks Rock. In a similar vein, most Pokemon that can beat Florges can make a great partner to Scrafty. Paralysis support is extremely beneficial, (RC) even more so than to the Dragon Dance set, (RC) as Scrafty has an extremely low Speed stat. Slowbro, Mew, and Celebi are usually all bulky, (RC) and can spread status. They all can also take Fighting-type attacks aimed at Scrafty. Florges can be make for a decent partner, as Florges it can beat most Heracross sets, (RC) and lures in Nidoking and Nidoqueen for Scrafty to set up on.

Other Options
########

Head Smash can be used as a powerful attack, but the recoil damage can be devastating. Poison Jab can be used over Iron Head, (AC) as it has the ability to Poison poison Florges. However, it has the drawback of possibly Poisoning poisoning Guts Heracross, (AC) and Steel-types are immune to Poison Jab. Thunderpunch Thunder Punch can be used to hit bulky Water-types, although Knock Off is usually superior, (AC) as it removes their Leftovers. A Restalk RestTalk set can be used with Shed Skin on stallier more stall-oriented teams, although Sleep Talk usually a waste of a move moveslot with when Scrafty has Shed Skin. A Choice Band set can be used to deal big a lot of damage to some Pokemon. (Such as?) An Assault Vest set can be used, however though it is inferior to Snorlax in that regard. Scrafty does offer Knock Off support, (AC) however, as well as a reliable way to heal in Drain Punch.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Florges and Aromatisse can almost always beat Scrafty, resisting both of Scrafty's STABs STAB moves, (RC) and hitting back with a super-effective 4x super effective Moonblast.

**Heracross**: Heracross resists both of Scrafty's STAB attacks STABs, (RC) and can OHKO Scrafty with a Close Combat.

**Hitmontop**: The bulky pivot set of Hitmontop can take any attack by Scrafty, and KO back with Close Combat, however will be taking a chunk from High Jump Kick. (Yeah rejected :/)

**Chesnaught**: Chesnaught can easily tank take a +1 Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt, (RC) and can hit Scrafty hard with a super-effective 2x super effective Hammer Arm.

**Hippowdon**: Hippowdon can take any hit from a +1 Scrafty, (RC) and either Whirlwind Scrafty out, (RC) or hit it hard with an Earthquake. In tight situations, it can stall with Slack Off, however it often loses to Drain Punch Scrafty this way. (If it loses to Scrafty this way why is it mentioned x_x)

**Crobat**: Crobat can generally switch in on a Dragon Dance or a Fighting-type move attack, however other than those moves it cannot switch in though it doesn't like switching into any of Scrafty's other moves. Crobat can do a minimum of 70% to an uninvested Scrafty, allowing for making it an effective revenge killer.

**Revenge Killers**: Due to Scrafty's pitiful base 58 Speed, any viable Choice Scarf user can outspeed Scrafty after a boost. This leaves Life Orb Scrafty at a disadvantage, as it is easily revenge killed by powerful attacks attacks such as Flygon's Outrage, (RC) or Heracross' Heracross's Close Combat.

**Wallbreakers**: Common Pokemon that are delegated to break through walls such as Choice Band Heracross and Life Orb Honchkrow can usually beat the Bulk Up set, even at +1. Pokemon such as Choice Band Heracross and Life Orb Honchkrow still threaten Scrafty, even at +1.

Last edited:

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey
Overview
########

Scrafty can be a devastating setup sweeper, wWith two excellent abilities to allow Scrafty to set up more easily, it is a very dangerous sweeper. Scrafty has Knock Off utility that it can use to weaken its own checks. However, Scrafty is weak to common Pokemon, such as Heracross. Without a boost, it can have trouble breaking through tougher walls such as Milotic or Suicune. Also, Scrafty has sa low sSpeed, allowing it to be stat, which means that it is outsped by Pokemon with base 115s Speed even at +1, and any relevant Choice Scarf user still outspeeds it even at +2.

Dragon Dance
########

Moves
========

Knock Off is the Dark-type STAB move of choice, and it can help with wearing down Scraggfty and its teammates' own checks and counters, by removing Leftovers and Assault Vests. Drain Punch is the preferred STAB attack, and helps keepto preserve Scrafty's longevity. Drain Punch is best used when using Scrafty as a mid- to late -game sweeper. High Jump Kick can be used in order to provide more immediate power, as well as to severely denting any switch-ins. It should be used when Scrafty is functioning as a wallbreaker on a team. Zen Headbutt is Scrafty's best option against Toxicroak, and it also prevents Pokemon likesuch as Nidoqueen, Roserade, and Amoonguss from scaring Scrafty out. It also gets super- effective damage on Heracross, Mienshao, Hitmontop, and Chesnaught, although it cannot KO any of them except Mienshao. Iron Head allows Scrafty to do excellent damage on weakened Florges and Gardevoir, although it does not always OHKO even Sspecially Ddefensive Florges at +1.

Set Details
========

Max Attack and max Speed make Scrafty a strong sweeper. 252 Speed EVs with a Jolly Nnature allow Scrafty to outspeed Mienshao after a boost. Leftovers is preferred when using Drain Punch and Shed Skin, in order to allow Scrafty to stay alive or the duration of the match. Life Orb is preferentialred when using High Jump Kick and/or Moxie, as this allows Scrafty to sweep extremely well late -game. Lum Berry is an option when using Moxie, although if you are that worried about status, you might as wellcould just use Shed Skin. Shed Skin is the preferred ability, as this allows Scrafty to act as a psuedo status absorber and not have to worry about a Bburn or a Pparalysis ruining Scrafy's sweep. However, Moxie can be used to steamroll through unprepared teams, racking up boost after boost.

Usage Tips
========

Scrafty should set up on Pokemon that don't really do not do a wholeeal a lot of damage to it,; these are usually Sspecial Aattackers. It can function greatly against stall -based teams. With Shed Skin, it usually does not mind Bburns, so setting up on Pokemon such as Crocune or Vaporeon can quickly turn a match around. Shed Skin also allows Scrafty to be the only Fighting-type to not be shut down by Sableye, granting it a niche of its own. LDuring late -game, Scrafty should abuse its unique typing and try andto force switches, so as to set up a Dragon Dance.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can set up hazards up can really help with wearing down Scrafty's checks and counters. Pokemon such as Heracross cannot handle full entry hazards and a +1 High Jump Kick. With Moxie, this puts immense pressure on a team. Gligar is an excellent teammate, as Gligarit can beat Crobat, Scarf Honchkrow, and Heracross, who all beat Scrafty. Gligar can also set up Stealth Rocks to wear down the opponent's team. Pokemon that can bait in Florges, such as Choice Band Heracross that can make anbait in Florges make excellent partners, as Florges is quickly overwhelmed by such strong attacks. Scrafty appreciates Thunder Wave support, making Pokemon such as Slowbro, Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi decent partners. Amoonguss can perform a similar role in spreading Ssleep and Stun Sporeparalysis, although this compounds a Honchkrow weakness. Ghost-type Pokemon such as Froslass or Cofagrigus can switch in on Fighting-type attacks. Froslass can easily set up a layer or two of Spikes and eliminate a key threat with Destiny Bond, while Cofagrigus can switch in commoneasily on Pokemon likesuch as Crobat, or Heracross.

Bulk Up
########

Moves
========

Bulk Up is the main move, often slowly building a sweep against Bbulky Ooffense teams. Knock Off is excellent utility, and helps cut down on recovery. Knock Off also messes with more stallier-based teams. Drain Punch allowgives Scrafty psuedo-recovery, and can really hit hard with a boost. This is Scrafty's most reliable way to heal. Rest is a keystone to the Bulk Up set, as Rest allows Scrafty to fully heal up, and proceed to rack up Bulk Up boosts again. However, Shed Skin does not always activate, often sealing the deal for Scrafty. Iron Head can be used to deal with Florges, although it fails to OHKO Florges even at +1, and so should only be used either on the switch or late -game. Zen Headbutt can be used to catch Toxicroak off guard, although Rest is usually preferred in the last slot.

Set Details
========

252 HP and Special Defense EVs assure maximum special bulk, and easily allowlets Scrafty to set up on Pokemon like Crocune. Shed Skin allows Scrafty to potentially get a one-turn sleep, and can stop other status effects. Shed Skin also allows Scrafty to not be shut down by Sableye, pusetting itself apart from other Fighting-types.

Usage Tips
========

Scrafty should be used onagainst Pokemon that will commonly run a RestTalk set, as Scrafty will then be able to set up easily. If Scrafty can take a hit from something or force it out, then it is usually fine to set up. Do not set up if a Pokemon such as Florges or Heracross is on the opposing team. It is best to get entry hazards up before setting up, in order to limit the amount of switches on a team.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Qwilfish or Hitmontop can help support Scrafty. Both can do work against Heracross, and Qwilfish can set up Spikes and/or Toxic Spikes. Hitmontop can help weaken Pokemon such as Florges by hitting them with Toxic. Pokemon that lure in Crocune or Vaporeon can help set up a Scrafty sweep. A switch -in to Crobat is nice, making Raikou or Rhyperior great partners. Raikou can set up on a lot of Pokemon that Scrafty lures in, while Rhyperior can set up Stealth Rocks. Bronzong is a good partner, as Bronzong can easily beats Florges, while also setting up Stealth Rocks. In a similar vein, most Pokemon that can beat Florges can make a great partner to Scrafty. Paralysis support is extremely beneficial, even more so than to the Dragon Dance set, as Scrafty has extremely low Speed. Slowbro, Mew, and Celebi are usually all bulky, and can spread status. They all can also take Fighting-type attacks aimed at Scrafty. Florges can be a decent partner, as Florges can beat most Heracross sets, and lures in Nidoking and Nidoqueen for Scrafty to set up on.

Other Options
########

Head Smash can be used as a powerful attack. Poison Jab can be used over Iron Head as it has the ability to Ppoison Florges. However, it has the drawback of possibly Ppoisoning Guts Heracross and; furthermore, Steel-types are immune to Poison Jab. Thunderp Punch can be used to hit bulky Water-types, although Knock Off is usually superior. A RestTalk set can be used with Shed Skin on stallier teams, although Sleep Talk usually a waste of a move with Shed Skin. A Choice Band can be used to deal bigheavy damage to some Pokemon. An Assault Vest set can be used, thoweverugh it is inferior to Snorlax in that regard. Scrafty does offer Knock Off support, however, as well as a reliable way to heal in Drain Punch.

Checks &amp; Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Florges and Aromatisse can always beat Scrafty, resisting both of its STAB moves, and hitting with a 4x super- effective 4x Moonblast.

**Heracross**: Heracross resists both of Scrafty's STAB moves, and can OHKO with a Close Combat.

**Hitmontop**: The bulky pivot set of Hitmontop can take any attack by Scrafty, and KO back with Close Combat, thoweverugh it will be takinge a chunk from High Jump Kick.

**Chesnaught**: Chesnaught can easily tank a +1 Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt, and can hit Scrafty hard with a super- effective 2x Hammer Arm.

**Hippowdon**: Hippowdon can take any hit from a +1 Scrafty, and either Whirlwind Scrafty out, or hit hard with an Earthquake. In tight situations, it can stall with Slack Off, thoweverugh it often loses to Drain Punch Scrafty this way.

**Crobat**: Crobat can generally switch in on Dragon Dance or a Fighting-type move, however, other than those moves it cannot switch in. Crobat can do a minimum of 70% to an uninvested Scrafty, allowmaking forit an effective revenge killer.

**Revenge Killers**: Due to Scrafty's pitiful base 58 Speed, any viable Choice Scarf user can outspeed Scrafty after a boost. This leaves Life Orb Scrafty at a disadvantage, as it is easily revenge killed by powerful attacks such as Flygon's Outrage, or Heracross' Close Combat.

**Wallbreakers**: Common Pokemon that are delegated to break through walls can usually beat the Bulk Up set. Pokemon such as Choice Band Heracross and Life Orb Honchkrow still threaten Scrafty, even at +1.

gp 1/2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)