Shaymin-S (New Analysis)

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
m-dog. Just write it, we'll decide on it then. A page hasn't even been created for the site yet so I don't think we're rushing to get this up lol.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
GrassWhistle seems like an Other Options choice. Wide Lens doesn't change the mechanics of the original set enough to merit a new set, and even with Wide Lens GrassWhistle's accuracy is a poor 60.5%, probably not worth much.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'll go ahead and argue that, because I have used this set since Shaymin-S has existed (pretty much). Looking at Shaymins counters (Zap, Skarm, Bliss, Heatran, Registeel, Scizor, Meta, whatever), having the good chance to put them to sleep is invaulable. Sleep is really powerful as you know, but Sleep against something not expecting it is pretty awesome. In fact, I would almost always rather try to put something to sleep (and maybe not succeed) than set up a Sub almost all of the time. Also, Wide lens is just kind of a bonus. It makes Grasswhistle's accuracy 60.5%, which is ever so slightly better than Hypnosis. I would argue that Wide Lens is not for Grasswhistle as much, but for Air Slash and Seed Flare. Together it just rounds off the set pretty well, and it works nicely, I can tell you that.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've added Misaki's corrections, thanks a lot :)

I'll just leave the "Wide Lens" set open to discussion, as I'm neither for or against it really. However, if the set isn't added, I'll definately elaborate on Wide Lens item a bit more.

GrassWhistle seems like an Other Options choice. Wide Lens doesn't change the mechanics of the original set enough to merit a new set, and even with Wide Lens GrassWhistle's accuracy is a poor 60.5%, probably not worth much.
It's .5% higher than Hypnosis, I guess...!! That's still very, very crap, but it's still more likely to hit than not. I don't know if a sleep move is 'viable' on Skymin or not, but if it is...

I think it is.... It makes Air Slash a guarented hit, and Seed Flare because a respectable 93.5%. I can't tell you how many times I've torn my hair out for Air Slash not only missing the flinch, but just fucking missing! I hate inaccurate moves but thats just me. I'm all for a higher chance at killing that damn Tyranitar.

I think that Worry Seed deserves a mention (not much more though), it gets rid of Clear Body and Inner Focus.

For the growth set I suggest using synthesis over earthpower so you can heal on switches and while sweeping. :D

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With Sandstream & Hail, Synthesis will always be "other options" on an OU Pokemon. Plus, if I were to run Synthesis I'd probably EV it bulkier.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really think Substitute and Leech Seed need to be seperate sets. SubSeed plays an entirely different strategy in my opinion from the usual 3 Attack + Substitute Shaymin-S. Yay or nay?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
nay

Even though the sets do play differently with Leech Seed vs. Earth Power, the sets are exactly the same otherwise. There is ample coverage of the differences in the current set, I think. The general idea is the same, sub then attack, except with Leech Seed the attacking is done indirectly.

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When I originally started this analysis, it started off even more long-winded because of all the sets. There was Special Sweeper, Choice, Substitute, SubSeed, Swords Dance, Growth... and there's now a possibility of Wide Lens as well.

When the fact of the matter is, the movesets are way too similar in the way their set-up and written. The sets are easily combined into one and it works out all the same IMO. Leech Seed is thoroughlly explained, so I don't think anything should change in this analysis right now (bar the addition of a Wide Lens set if agreed upon).

I'm going to add Worry Seed to Other Options, as getting rid of Clear Body from things like Metagross, Regice, Registeel can be beneficial. As well as Inner Focus from Crobat and Dragonite.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Worry Seed sounds illogical. Say you use it on one of the Clear Body Pokemon when they switch in, the best-case scenario; then what? You can't take advantage of it, because if you try to lower their Special Defense using Seed Flare, you'll end up getting killed. Crobat is faster, so you can't flinch with Air Slash anyways, so the only thing it actually works on is Dragonite, which is really quite rare.

Havak

Yeah, I do think it's "note worthy" though. However, I intentially didn't mention Crobat along with Worry Seed. If they do switch out, you're at least getting to hit something else with a powerful attack. I will admit it's not a great option at all, but it is an "other option" so I gave it a mention. But again, if more people feel it's not needed, then it will be removed. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)