November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Skarmory

Drill Peck
Roost
Swords Dance
Support move of choice

I think that drill peck may have some merit this gen. The upgrade to sturdy is amazing for skarmory, but brave bird recoil breaks it. I've had a lot of success with swords dance skarm, and a recoil free drill peck has helped me countless times.

Worth a mention at least IMO.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've bumped this Mesopotamian thread to question Skarmory's legitimacy as an Excadrill check.

A: It does jack shit to Excadrill offensively, the only thing you can do is Whirlwind it out so someone else can deal with Excadrill later. If you don't have anyone that isn't OHKOd by Excadrill, too bad so sad.
B: It can be flinch haxed to death. Furthermore, if you Roost, you're going to eat an Earthquake
C: Skarmory is often required to do too much as a physical wall, after it gets beaten down to 30% by Excadrill, Terrakion is going to break through.

The thing I don't like about using Skarmory as an Excadrill check is that you must pair it with somebody that can do something to Excadrill offensively. For example if you run Skarmory as your Excadrill check, you're forced to run Rotom-W as well. Skarmory Whirlwinds +2 Excadrill out until Rotom-W can get in against an Excadrill without a boost to KO with Hydro Pump as Return or whatever fails to KO at +0. Even then, you're going to have trouble doing this too many times, since I can't tell you how often I've whirlwinded out an Excadrill and got a Heatran out. Skarmory can't take Rock Slides forever.

I can't tell you how many times I've laughed when I see a Skarmory in team preview, but nobody who can actually take a hit from Excadrill, even at +0. We'll call this person Noob "A". I get in Excadrill easily, Noob A sends out Skarmory going, HAHA walled. I hit it with Rock Slide, it brings in Rotom-W. He retreats Skarmory and I Volt Switch out... right back into Excadrill. Rinse and repeat, and before you know it, game over.

This brings me to my main argument: Excadrill is NOT broken. So many Noob As lurk on Smogon and see some archive RMT saying: Skarmory is my main check to Excadrill. They immediately think, hey! I can beat an Excadrill with Skarmory. They leave, make their team, and slap Skarmory into the 6 slot thinking, "I totally got drill covered" when the rest of their team is Heatran, Tentacruel , Jirachi, Gastrodon, and Volcorona. All which Excadrill doesn't even need +2 to pummel through. So Skarmory whirlwinding out that Excadrill just means you'll be getting swept on turn 20 instead of turn 10.

I think a lot of people here think Excadrill is broken because they don't know how to ****ing handle it. You don't ****ing blindly switch in Conkeldurr, because you're gonna get beaten down by multiple EQs. You don't ****ing not switch in Bronzong as soon as Excadrill appears, because if it gets to +2 and then hits you on the switchin with X-Scissors, you wont get that EQ through. Oh and if Excadrill's on a fucking balloon, pop the damn thing unless you have a Gliscor. Who gives a fuck if your 10% Jolteon dies because you got EQd, its better than having Exadrill get a free +2.

Worst of all, as I've shown in the Skarmory case, most people who find Excadrill broken just plain suck balls at teambuilding. Or they're like Shrang and the only playstyle they think exists is Hyper Offense.

So I have a solution for all of you who want Excadrill to get the axe. LEARN TO FUCKING BUILD A PROPER TEAM! In Shrang's case, LEARN A PLAYSTYLE BESIDES HYPER FUCKING OFFENSE. If you can't just use a friggin Air Balloon Terrakion like everyone else, or wait for Technician Breloom or something.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What I do with Skarmory if I face an Excadrill

Does it have a balloon?

Yes? Pop it ASAP. (mainly because I have a Exadrill under the wings, and a Landorus when push comes to shove.) If it's packing Rapid Spin like most balloon Excadrills these days then it was worth the trade.

No? Lay one layer of spikes and then whirlwind it out, roost as needed. Since with Leftovers and spikes damage this thing is going to suffer lots of damage.

(Also since Exadrill is faster he can't hurt you during or after your Roosting turn.)

I've bumped this Mesopotamian thread to question Skarmory's legitimacy as an Excadrill check.

A: It does jack shit to Excadrill offensively, the only thing you can do is Whirlwind it out so someone else can deal with Excadrill later. If you don't have anyone that isn't OHKOd by Excadrill, too bad so sad.
B: It can be flinch haxed to death. Furthermore, if you Roost, you're going to eat an Earthquake
C: Skarmory is often required to do too much as a physical wall, after it gets beaten down to 30% by Excadrill, Terrakion is going to break through.
I agree with you that Excadrill is not broken, but you fail right here.

A: You answered your own fail later on in your post. Have someone else who can handle a +0 Excadrill. Or keep up offensive pressure so it can't switch-in or set-up easily. Even if you lack all that, Skarmory does ~25% with BB, so if you're desperate you could actually attempt to kill an Excarill if it has like 50-ish % health left.

B: Ok, my Choice Scarf Rhydon can flinch-hax your NP Celebi to death by spamming Rock Slide; you won't even get a chance to use Giga Drain!!!!

Also, Skarmory can use Roost freely against Excadrill, because Excadrill is faster.

C: In that case, Gyarados does not counter Scizor, because it can be worn down by teammates. And also, own tempo Slowbro does not counter Machamp because machamp's teammates can wear it down. Okay.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Its sort of a bait and switch writing style. I first explain why Skarmory alone is not an Excadrill counter, and how it needs to be paired with another pokemon to work effectively. The thing is that I've seen way too many teams that do not run a proper teammate with Skarmory, and I'm labelling this as a reason why so many people think Excadrill is broken: because they still don't know how to check one without resorting to Gliscor.

The thing I don't like about using Skarmory as an Excadrill check is that you must pair it with somebody that can do something to Excadrill offensively. For example if you run Skarmory as your Excadrill check, you're forced to run Rotom-W as well. Skarmory Whirlwinds +2 Excadrill out until Rotom-W can get in against an Excadrill without a boost to KO with Hydro Pump as Return or whatever fails to KO at +0. Even then, you're going to have trouble doing this too many times, since I can't tell you how often I've whirlwinded out an Excadrill and got a Heatran out. Skarmory can't take Rock Slides forever.

I can't tell you how many times I've laughed when I see a Skarmory in team preview, but nobody who can actually take a hit from Excadrill, even at +0. We'll call this person Noob "A". I get in Excadrill easily, Noob A sends out Skarmory going, HAHA walled. I hit it with Rock Slide, it brings in Rotom-W. He retreats Skarmory and I Volt Switch out... right back into Excadrill. Rinse and repeat, and before you know it, game over.

This brings me to my main argument: Excadrill is NOT broken. So many Noob As lurk on Smogon and see some archive RMT saying: Skarmory is my main check to Excadrill. They immediately think, hey! I can beat an Excadrill with Skarmory. They leave, make their team, and slap Skarmory into the 6 slot thinking, "I totally got drill covered" when the rest of their team is Heatran, Tentacruel , Jirachi, Gastrodon, and Volcorona. All which Excadrill doesn't even need +2 to pummel through. So Skarmory whirlwinding out that Excadrill just means you'll be getting swept on turn 20 instead of turn 10.

I think a lot of people here think Excadrill is broken because they don't know how to ****ing handle it. You don't ****ing blindly switch in Conkeldurr, because you're gonna get beaten down by multiple EQs. You don't ****ing not switch in Bronzong as soon as Excadrill appears, because if it gets to +2 and then hits you on the switchin with X-Scissors, you wont get that EQ through. Oh and if Excadrill's on a fucking balloon, pop the damn thing unless you have a Gliscor. Who gives a fuck if your 10% Jolteon dies because you got EQd, its better than having Exadrill get a free +2.

Worst of all, as I've shown in the Skarmory case, most people who find Excadrill broken just plain suck balls at teambuilding. Or they're like Shrang and the only playstyle they think exists is Hyper Offense.

So I have a solution for all of you who want Excadrill to get the axe. LEARN TO FUCKING BUILD A PROPER TEAM! In Shrang's case, LEARN A PLAYSTYLE BESIDES HYPER FUCKING OFFENSE. If you can't just use a friggin Air Balloon Terrakion like everyone else, or wait for Technician Breloom or something.

This is exactly what I was talking about in the ban weather thread before a mod locked it. Because noobs run Excadrill left and right everyone is pretty much forced to run a counter or get swept. And you guys wonder why teams aren't more varied? I find that funny. Over half of the teams on the servers right now are probably a weather team, and the rest are non weather teams that try to counter weather. Oh goody, such variety.

Skarmory does approximately 25% to standard Excadrill with Brave Bird. You break its balloon and then WW it out...it comes in, takes Spikes damage, etc. If last mon Excadrill, you kill it with Brave Bird in four turns at the worst. It's one of the best checks.

Skarmory does approximately 25% to standard Excadrill with Brave Bird. You break its balloon and then WW it out...it comes in, takes Spikes damage, etc. If last mon Excadrill, you kill it with Brave Bird in four turns at the worst. It's one of the best checks.
Exactly. Skarmory is probably the best check to Excadrill. Exca does around 30% with a +2 Rock Slide which Skarmory can easily Roost off of, along with breaking its balloon with BB.

I have to say that sky drop is much better than brave bird on skarmory i've tested it out and i did a lot better with sky drop/free fall

I have to say that sky drop is much better than brave bird on skarmory i've tested it out and i did a lot better with sky drop/free fall
I don't see a good use for Sky Drop on a Skarmory, walls usually want to deal as much damage as possible in a single attack move. It probably is only viable on a Toxic Stall set, and Skarm has better things to do

I agree; if you want to avoid recoil for whatever reason, use Drill Peck. There's very few situations where the general residual damage for the opponent is high enough that Sky Drop might be worth it.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
New World Order said:
If you don't have anyone that isn't OHKOd by Excadrill, then you suck at Pokemon.
You will not eat an Earthquake if you Roost. Excadrill is faster. If you use flinch hax as a reason for brokenness then Jirachi, Togekiss, and Dunsparce are twice as broken as Excadrill. There is a 9% chance you get flinched twice.
C: Skarmory is often required to do too much as a physical wall, after it gets beaten down to 30% by Excadrill, Terrakion is going to break through. Terrakion is weak as hell to Spikes so just keep phazing and they'll both be hurting while Skarmory can just keep healing. And if you only have one check to Excadrill and Terrakion then you're just weak to Sand Offense.

Haven't been following the Skarmory thread very close, but I have found some novelty in this......

Doubles
Skrmory @ Flying Gem/Power Herb
Weak Armor
Impish
252 Def/252 Speed/4 Atk
-Swords Dance
-Drill Peck/Sky Attack
-Steel Wing
-Rock Slide

*EDIT*

Misclicked...Thought this was in the GBU section. (FML >_<)

I don't see a good use for Sky Drop on a Skarmory, walls usually want to deal as much damage as possible in a single attack move. It probably is only viable on a Toxic Stall set, and Skarm has better things to do
oh sorry, forgot; there were toxic spikes up and rapid spinner was gone
my bad

Exactly. Skarmory is probably the best check to Excadrill. Exca does around 30% with a +2 Rock Slide which Skarmory can easily Roost off of, along with breaking its balloon with BB.
What is this? Have you never heard of Gliscor, its aleast twice as good as a counter to Excadrill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)