Sleep Clause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleep clause as it currently works has the sleep move do nothing when it is used. I don't particularly know if there is a way to add this in the games (but i highly doubt it). If not sleep clause should be changed to act as taunt does and make it so a message tells you that you can't use the move. I know that it is the players responsibility to make sure that they don't have a sleeping opponent already, but if there is no way to make this happen in the games then sleep clause needs to be changed, just like team preview needed to be added.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the team preview is added into the game already (i would know, i play it). as for the sleep clause its based on mutual agreement anyway. so if the opponent accepts the sleep clause in real life, the idea is that if he sleeps 2 pokemon, he loses.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The problem with preventing you from selecting it is that:
1) If your pokemon is slower than the opponent, there is the possibility that you could have the opponent wake up that turn and then immediately put them back to sleep; preventing selection of a sleep move would make that kind of move impossible
2) If your opponent switched Starmie into your Breloom's Spore, it's possible you could Spore again on the predicted switch to put another counter to sleep. Again, your idea for sleep clause would make this impossible to do.

In short keeping it the way it is is the best option short of forcing a forfeit should you sleep two pokemon, but that has other problems like Dugtrio coming into Scarf Breloom and forcing it to sleep another pokemon to auto-lose.

So the preferable solution is probably the one we have now, though again that has holes that makes it unenforceable on-cartrigdge (like using Ancient Song with the 30% sleep chance).

Incidentally, is Effect Spore affected by Sleep Clause?

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I completely agree with you; I dislike the way Sleep Clause works atm. I would like to see something like a warning text saying "If this move is successful in breaking Sleep Clause, you automatically lose. Are you sure you want to use this move?" It all depends on whether or not Rising_Dusk is willing and able to make a change that unusual on the Smogon server, I suppose. It has been discussed previously to possibly allow for exceptions to be made. For example, your Scarf Breloom uses Spore on an Arena Trap Dugtrio that was switched in on that turn. Then you could be able to use Spore again without any negative effect in case your opponent decides to switch Dugtrio out. I would be all for OHKO and Evasion Clauses being implemented in the same way, too. If you break them, you would have to forfeit. There could be some obscure strategies that play around the clauses (none of them reliable, as far as I can tell), but whatever.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
it was supposed to make you lose in pokemon laboratory if you used it twice

thanks god we are using PO though

rey is correct. This is not something that can be down serverside, and thus if you want to see it happen, you'd have to suggest it on the PO website. Do me a favor, though, and don't. No one wants to lose when you use it twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)