Slowbro

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Regeneration is such a great ability for a bulky.

Considering how scarce entry hazards are becoming. Leftovers+regeneration may mean slack off is no longer necessary.

At the same time, dropping Slack Off means you might be in trouble if you get trapped (admittedly Shanderaa will brutally rape you anyway) or if you try and wall very powerful but neutral moves (Mence or Onono's Outrage, for example). I'm loving how Slowbro is shaping up in this gen, it'll be a tight competition between it and Suicune for a place on my teams.

Slowbro's psychic typing might actually be a beneficial thing now that we have way more fighting moves flying around.

Slowbro's psychic typing might actually be a beneficial thing now that we have way more fighting moves flying around.
Agreed, I don't think there's any new significant Pursuit users in this generation, either. Slowbro is so solid. If only it got the Evolution Stone boost, but that's not how it evolves anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Slowbro become vastly more powerful with the Prevo Stone? 95/165/120 defenses are unbelievably good, especially in tandem with Slack Off and a solid typing. I'm not seeing anything that could effectively break a Calm Mind set, especially with Regeneration to allow a safe switch-out if things get rough. Was this discussion started before the Stone was discovered, or does it not work on Slowbro for some reason?

EDIT: I see not. Oh well, I was looking forward to the most bizarre uber since Wobbuffet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Slowbro become vastly more powerful with the Prevo Stone? 95/165/120 defenses are unbelievably good, especially in tandem with Slack Off and a solid typing. I'm not seeing anything that could effectively break a Calm Mind set, especially with Regeneration to allow a safe switch-out if things get rough. Was this discussion started before the Stone was discovered, or does it not work on Slowbro for some reason?

EDIT: I see not. Oh well, I was looking forward to the most bizarre uber since Wobbuffet.
I dont think alternate evo count for prevo stone.

Ehh Slowbro was never too afraid of Pirsuit really...It was always bulky enough to shake off Unboosted pirsuits..The bigger problem is the other moves of those Pirsuiters like U-Turn and Crunch and stuff like that.Well anyway even with a lot of fighting types around Psychick is still kinda horrible due to Shandera being the most used poke in the game atm (And it's going to stay that way as long as that shit isnt banned imho) so Suicune is still going to be the bulky water of choice for most teams tbh.Not to mention Kerudio is going to give both a run for their money.But yah i must say regeneration is simply a splendid ability.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
Scarf Tyranitar's Crunch does 46.2% - 54.8% to standard bulky water Slowbro, and Banded Scizor's U-Turn does 64.5% - 76.6%. This means that Slowbro doesn't necessarily have to switch out of these pokemon, he can simply use Slack Off to scout the move, regaining most of if not all his HP, then switch to an appropriate counter. It also means he has no inherent fear of pursuit since if he stays in on it a 40 BP Dark move is doing shit all to the Bro.

His utility has been increased dramatically with the addition of Regeneration, and also the appearance of powerful new pokemon such as Roopushin, the Fighting horses, Hihidaruma etc. that he provides a safe switch in to. For reference Banded Adamant Hihidaruma's Flare Blitz doesn't get near a 2HKO, which is pretty great seeing as he resists Superpower and is neutral to Rock Slide.

Damn, I feel trolled. I start a topic for Slowbro only for this ancient one to be bummed up. Whatevs. Here's my main points from my Slowbro topic:

So, what's up with Slowbro? For quite a long while, Slowbro has been outclassed by other bulky waters and cursed with a terrible pursuit weakness. He was the perfect Machamp counter last gen, sure, but Hypno is the perfect Breloom counter, and that didn't help his usage out very much. Regeneration and boiling water are just huge boons to him. Seriously, look at this guy:

1) Myriad of support options. Yawn, Thunderwave, Toxic, Boiling Water, Rain Dance, Trick Room, Light Screen, Safeguard, Disable, and even Healing Beam for doubles. Some of these are more viable than others, but the Bro certainly has plenty of options.

2) Regeneration. As mentioned above, this is huge. His pursuit weakness is also mitigated when combined with this. Check out the calcs for 252/ 252 Bold Slowbro:

Adamant 252 Tyranitar's pursuit: 200 - 236 / 50.8% - 59.9%
CB Adamant 252 Scizor's pursuit: 194 - 230 / 49.2% - 58.4%
Adamant 252 Honchkrow's pursuit: 188 - 224 / 47.7% - 56.9%

Do I really need to go on? These are all hitting at about half health, but when regeneration comes into play, the damage is easily solved. I believe these are right, but you're welcome to double check. I used Metalkid's calculator.

3) Instant recovery. One of the most important things for a wall is gifted to Slowbro via Slack Off.

4) Decent special attack with a huge movepool. A base 100 attacking stat doesn't exactly strike terror into the opposing teams, especially if it isn't boosted, but it can get the job done quite well. He can even learn fire blast and flamethrower to roast steels. One can even opt for a gimmicky specs set with regeneration.

5) Slow as crap. This is actually an advantage this gen, as Roopushin can't hit Slowbro with a max power payback. Slowbro can also hit Roo quite hard with STAB psychic.

6) Quite a few options for boosting. Slowking has it beat thanks to nasty plot, but it can learn amnesia, curse, and calm mind. Boosting doesn't exactly mesh well with regeneration, but it remains an option. Amnesia, for instance, can greatly increase Slowbro's survivability.

Damn Slowbro stealing Starmie's Regeneration. At least he can make good use of it.

Roopushin is a big threat this generation, which means Slowbro may see more usage. However, I think Rankurusu gives him major competition as the slow, bulky Psychic-type.

Interestingly, he should be able to reasonably easily beat Scarf Shanderaa even when it has Shadow Tag.

Essentially run a standard CM set, come in on something that can barely hurt you and proceed to CM. If Shanderaa dares to switch in, you live its Shadow Ball even with some prior damge and OHKO with Surf if SR is up (and if not with some offensive investment you can).

This may be moot due to Shanderaa fearing Surf, but its good to know at least.

Slowbro will be beastly. he takes hits from blaziken better than some OU walls.

Blaziken LO +2 Hi jump kick vs. Slowbro (max hp/def) 193 - 228 | 49% - 57.9%

Interestingly, he should be able to reasonably easily beat Scarf Shanderaa even when it has Shadow Tag.

Essentially run a standard CM set, come in on something that can barely hurt you and proceed to CM. If Shanderaa dares to switch in, you live its Shadow Ball even with some prior damge and OHKO with Surf if SR is up (and if not with some offensive investment you can).

even yawn would scare out shandera if it thinks its going to CM up on you. even if you dont run yawn. CM+ slack off should beat opposing CM shanderas.

I'd expect most Shandera users to initially expect to OHKO Slowbro with Shadow Ball what with Slowbro being physically defensive and taking SE STAB damage.

I'd expect most Shandera users to initially expect to OHKO Slowbro with Shadow Ball what with Slowbro being physically defensive and taking SE STAB damage.
Exactly, and since CM lets you survive its best shot at you, it makes a reasonable lure given its bulk and regeneration letting it have 50% after tanking the Shadow Ball and switching out.

The CM set may have some added utility in DW as well as being pretty awesome in general too.

Leftovers+regeneration may mean slack off is no longer necessary.
I've been thinking about this as well. Slowbro's movepool just has so many cool options in Boiling Water, Yawn, Thunder Wave, Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Psychic, Trick Room, Grass Knot, and Sleep Talk (Slowbro wouldn't care as much about the sleep counter resetting on switch-out as most other Pokemon) that I don't want to lock myself into thinking that one move slot always has to go to Slack Off.

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
Slowbro is nasty. Blissey should be afraid of ANY Psychic type Pokemon, as Psycho Shock will ream her. I'm really glad Psycho Shock was added, I was tired of that cunt.

Slowbro belongs on almost any Trick Room team. Fighting type got a lot more prevalent, Regeneration is AWESOME, he can CM his lower defensive stat, and Machamp can't confuse. I need to use him more, honestly.

Slowbro doesn't have simple/unaware why....and starmie doesn't have regeneration why...trollfreak must die...

Slowbro has been fantastic since gen1 and has been gotten several big advatages this generation...

More fighting types
Psycho shock
Decrease in bliss usage
The oddity that is regeneration...
And a cute moving sprite <3

I thought slowbro was fantastic in generatin 4 but now he owns!!! Shandera fucks slowbro though...

He...hey guys....what happened to slowking in all this excitement?

Shandera fucks slowbro though...
Shandera needs to be careful. If she comes in on a STAB Surf it could do a ton of damage to her. She doesn't even like taking a psychic attack (specially backed by a CM or two). All in all he isn't that bad off vs Shandera. There are worse.

Slowbro is pretty good in tandem with Nattorei or Forretress. Yawn + Spikes (and Stealth Rock) is a nice combo to rack up residual damage (the former provided by Slowbro, which also prevents Shandera from switching in so easily, while the latter is provided by Nattorei or Forretress). Nattorei resists Electric, Dark, Grass, and Ghost, and Forretress resists Grass, Bug, Ghost, and Dark. Slowbro resists Fire and Fighting, which helps both of these Pokemon. Regeneration is obviously amazing, and he can hit Roobushin hard with Psychic. With 252 HP / 32 SpD he can survive Scarf Shandera's Shadow Ball, just in case you get trapped.

So what main problems does Slowbro face anyway? What switch ins really give him trouble?

I would assume without Calm Mind, bulky specially defensive threats can be annoying, especially opposing bulky waters. Does Slowbro make a good switch in against Roobushin by the way? I would assume so since... well, it's so damn slow, even Roobushin should outspeed and thus fail to KO with Payback, while you can CM or just blast Psychics in it's face, or CM up and hit it with boosted surfs.

But against bulky waters, what's he got? Grass Knot? HP Electric? Slowbro's got so many good moves, but what should it go for primarily?

Surf or Boiling Water?
Slack Off or not?
Thunderwave or yawn? etc. etc. etc.

So what main problems does Slowbro face anyway? What switch ins really give him trouble?

I would assume without Calm Mind, bulky specially defensive threats can be annoying, especially opposing bulky waters. Does Slowbro make a good switch in against Roobushin by the way? I would assume so since... well, it's so damn slow, even Roobushin should outspeed and thus fail to KO with Payback, while you can CM or just blast Psychics in it's face, or CM up and hit it with boosted surfs.

But against bulky waters, what's he got? Grass Knot? HP Electric? Slowbro's got so many good moves, but what should it go for primarily?

Surf or Boiling Water?
Slack Off or not?
Thunderwave or yawn? etc. etc. etc.

Well I primarily use a CM sweeper that always runs Slack Off, Calm Mind, Surf/Boiling Water, and Psychic/Psycho Shock. I loved using it in OU. But as in most cases...

Boiling water is almost always preferred due to burn support (duh), unless you have toxic spikes in which case you would only be hitting flyers, poisons, and steels.

Slack off? YES. Why the hell not?

Eh. Yawn or Thunderwave? Well, do you have a breloom? Do you have a sleep inducer of any sort? If not then sure Yawn isn't a bad idea. If you have some slower sweepers that need thunder wave support, use thunder wave. If you don't need to worry about being outsped or if your team has no use for spreading paralysis, then no need for T-wave. Its all about team synergy with these two, not whats better.

I've been using slowbro a lot lately and he's been preforming great, I use this set,
Utility
Leftovers Regeneration Bold
~ Boiling Water
~ Flamethrower
~ Slack Off
~ Toxic
216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SpA

I feel this set differentiates him the most out of the the other utility bulky waters out there. Flamethrower Is a great move which causes massive damage to scizor if you can catch it on the switch and it also 2HKO's nattorei making him a useful lure as it will commonly switch in thinking it'll be able to set up. Boiling water deters tyranitar as well as ground types who fear the burn. Toxic rounds off the set nicely allowing him to hurt other water types who thinking they can wall you such as the new water/ghost.

Regeneration's effectiveness really surprised me, it allows you to take non stab u turns consistently as you take ~30% from many common scarf Uturners meaning you'll be healthy when once you switch back in and you can PP stall by switching with him indefinitely as he recovers from all the entry hazard damage present. Not to mention scouting tyranitars move set as he won't be KO'd by any of his attacks, and can always switch back in with relatively high health. I recommended trying him out if you need a good answer to the many powerful sand teams out there.

However, I think Rankurusu gives him major competition as the slow, bulky Psychic-type.
i doubt this really when has slowbro has a secondary water type which very much differentiates it from rankurusu, i think it'll most likely be in more competetion with burungeru or milotic or even suicune

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)