Smogon Front Page B&W Pokemon Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might as well give up, Chou's is way better than what I could ever produce.

But I'm too far along to quit now, so I suppose you should expect mine...eventually...

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
not to be too disheartened by chou, i'm posting a piece as a sample of style

would people like to see art in this style on the front page? if not, why? what can be improved? the shading isn't as soft or sugimori-esque as chou's beautiful work, and i'm wondering if people would rather more art in that style. i just want to get an idea before i work on the other two images; reworking one is easier than three

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Personally I think styles of all kind are great. Why limit ourselves to just a few styles? It should be about the good artists of Smogon showing their own talent, not sticking to really strict rules.

edit: Speaking of style, I was wondering if these sorts of things would be ok. I'd scan it instead of taking a picture if I were to finish it, of course. Made out of magazines, just thought it might be cute. Will finish if somebody gives me the ok

@swaggersaurus: Just looking at the Ken Sugimori artwork for Darmanitan, it seems like you've got some pretty crazy proportion errors. The legs seem far too short for the creature to even survive, and the arms are almost stick-like. I'm not sure if you were going for a caricature-esque style, and if you were, great job, I love it (although I'm not sure that's what we're looking for on the front page), but if you weren't, I'd try to get some of the proportions more realistic. I love your style, I just think you're taking it too far there.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I agree that artistic license is certainly granted on this. Az, I'm loving that Darmanitan! I can definitely see that bad boy on the front page. Do the other two!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, and if anyone wants to get an idea of how to draw similar pics to what I posted, I actually made a guide. It's posted in my art thread here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3197009&postcount=64

I developed the process for doing this style doing artwork for The Smog, so I've gotten progressively faster at it. For the pics here, the line art and color pallet is original, but obviously if you trace and use original Sugi Art to get a color pallet, it's that much easier.

For the pics here though, it's a 1500 x 1500 initial canvas and a size 3 paint brush-- which makes doing line art a lot harder, but also produces much finer outlines.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i looked chandelure over and the glow from the flames was actually breaking the rules, so i've tweaked that and reuploaded

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Everything in this thread is excellent, but I'm currently leaning towards Chou's submissions. If we can get that art rotation thing going then I might just die.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm already at work making the front page capable of rotating art. Based on the wonderful submissions by Chou and Az, I'm certain we'll put it good use. No reason to choose a single "winner" here. Let's see who else steps up to contribute. The bar has been set quite high!

Darmanitan and Jellicent, Scrafty will be coming soon. If anyone would like adjustments on them to make them suitable material please comment =D Thanks

Also, Doug, you were saying about Artist badges, and I always wondered what they were awarded for. What exactly are they awarded for?

Also, Doug, you were saying about Artist badges, and I always wondered what they were awarded for. What exactly are they awarded for?
Here's the "FAQ" thingy's explaination:

FAQ said:
- User is a Smogon Artist. Artists contributes pieces of their artwork to the site. Visit Smeargle's Studio for more information.
Basically, if you get your art into The Smog or somthing like that (in other words, if you pass this) you will be awarded with the badge.

Does that answer your question Ritter :).

Is pixel art allowed? From the rules, it doesn't seem that it would be suitable (the minimum size limit implies that the art will be stretched before being put on the main page). Would it be possible to make an exception for this?

I've only got one done so far. It looks...terrible compared to some of the other work that's been submitted, but I figure that relying on MS Paint to color it is a bit of a handicap. -.-'

I sketched them by hand and scanned them. Then I did the lineart on Paint, then colored (or at least tried to) color this Bisharp. Keldeo and Serperior are still in lined-form, but I guess I could post those here too.

My Bisharp looks kind of (okay, really) wonky. I know something's wrong, but pinpointing it and fixing it has proved difficult. Maybe I should just hand-color my art too...

Okay. I'm not so good with this kind of computer-art thing, so thanks for the tip!

EDIT: I edited my previous post with png files instead.

(This might be a noobish thing to ask, but what's the difference between png and jpg files?)

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With jpg files you either have to compromise on the size of the image or the quality of the image, and with a large picture such as the ones you've posted there the loss in quality becomes quite noticeable. With lineart images they typically lose clarity and sharpness.

Png files use a lossless compression technique, which means no such compromises are made.

Lesson ends.

christ, i hope kyurem isn't too competitively ass for the front page

have 2/3 done, just posting to show interest and whatnot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)