Smogon's Official Ladder Tournament V - Playoffs (Swiss) Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader

(Art by ium, outdated but better than nothing!)

As previously stated, this playoff bracket will start as a swiss tournament. As such, you continue playing in this stage until you have won or lost three matches in the playoffs stage.

Remember, all matches are to be played in a BEST OF THREE format, and all standard SM OU rules apply.

Round 2

1-0
Eternal Spirit vs zugubu royale
Hiye vs Kickasser
RedEmption vs ABR
Sacri' vs Juuls
Empo vs Insult
TaceBreeze vs Ojama
Zuchtrest vs Mob Barley
SoulWind vs Kory2600

0-1
CaronSmith vs Googly
Sjneider vs Simia
Mimolette vs Malekith
Ktütverde vs blarghlfarghl
Paycard vs Lopunny Kicks
Zokuru vs Bro Kappa
Ash KetchumGamer vs XxKidofDeathxX
robopoke vs Twixtry

Please, let us know in the thread when you will be playing once your games are scheduled, we would all very much like to spectate some (hopefully) quality battles between you all.

Deadline
Sunday, September 2nd @ 11:59 PM EDT

Spreadsheet where you can enter when you'll be playing, to let others know

I'm still trying to confirm hot meat's status as of now, so keep an eye out for updates on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Eternal Spirit vs zugubu royale
Hiye vs Kickasser
RedEmption vs ABR
Sacri
' vs Juuls
Empo vs Insult
TaceBreeze
vs Ojama
Zuchtrest vs Mob Barley
SoulWind vs Kory2600
CaronSmith vs Googly
hot meat vs Simia
Mimolette vs Malekith
Ktütverde vs blarghlfarghl
Paycard vs Lopunny Kicks
Zokuru vs Bro Kappa
Ash KetchumGamer vs XxKidofDeathxX
robopoke vs Twixtry

Eternal Spirit vs zugubu royale Zugubu brought Haxorus last round and won too, so mad respect for that, however Eternal Spirit is the better player imo so I'll give it to him
Hiye vs kickasser Kickasser has shown in the past that if he brings his A game he can take on anyone. I deem Hiye to be overall more consistent tho, so I'm giving the edge to him
Redemption vs ABR Redemption brought Bird Jesus himself last round so I'm curious to see what he'll bring this time around to mess around with a player the caliber of ABR. My prediction goes to the latter tho, superior player and better connoisseur of the tier
Sacri vs juuls Sacri has no fear of making "balls to the wall" type plays which I definitely respect (albeit sometimes they're arguably unnecessary) and he's showing that he can pull his weight in OU. Juuls on the other hand I can't say much about, as I don't know him and only saw his 1 game vs hot meat. Sacri to take this
Empo vs Insult #2 highlight series for me. This will definitely be closer than most people think and it's gonna be interesting under many points of view. The 2 players know each other quite well, so I'm expecting lots of mindgames and perhaps changes in playing patterns. Giving the edge to Empo because he's more experienced in tours, but I'd gladly see Insult win
TaceBreeze vs Ojama My boy Tace "disposed" of robopoke in 2 games quite comfortably last round on his debut so he's gonna have quite the confidence boost, however he's facing a veteran of this game this round who's more used to situations like this. If Tace doesn't give in to nervousness (which I'm sure he won't do) he's gonna put up a show imo making this a close one.
Zuchtrest vs Mob Barley Mob impressed me last round by beating Bro Kappa whereas I've yet to truly figure out Zuchtrest, hence why the edge goes to Mob
SoulWind vs Kory2600 #1highlight of this round imo. 2 heavyweights going at it it's sure to make this a great and enjoyable series (hopefully hax free too). Both players won in 3 last round, but Kory convinced me more overall, so I'm rooting for him
Caronsmith vs Googly Oh boy... Don't know what to expect from this one but I think Googly is gonna bring some wild stuff and take this
Sjneider vs Simia He has been freed.
Mimolette vs Malekith Mimo played very well in his OLT debut against ABR, coming close to taking the series too, so I think that if he keeps playing like that, he can overcome even a veteran like Malekith
Ktütverde vs blarghlfarghl Better player imo, but I'd watch out for Ktüt's builds
Paycard vs Lopunny Kicks Again, better player here imo and more experienced too. I'm sure he'll wanna bounce back after last round's loss. Rooting for him here, VAI PUNNY :3
Zokuru vs Bro Kappa Same as above really, I don't see Bro Kappa losing again, and to my eyes Zokuru seemed uncomfortable in using non stall builds
Ash KetchumGamer vs XxKidofDeathxX KoD is clearly the better player here, if he plays like he knows it's not gonna be close
robopoke vs Twixtry Both players are coming off of a pretty rough round1, but I believe in Twix and I think he's gonna take this

Last edited:

Kory2600

cclm
Eternal Spirit vs zugubu royale Gama is weird but i think hes gonna take this one.zugubu royale played well and crushed his opponent last round tho so he can def take this one too
Hiye vs Kickasser Even tho Hiye is my man, i think ppl are really underestimating kick's gameplay.I might be biased cuz hes one of my closest friend but i'm really high on his skill and ik for a fact he can build some really cool teams now.I expect this series to be a lot closer than a lot of ppl thought and i think kicks gonna win ( it could go either way for sure tho)
RedEmption vs ABR Red is also one of my friend but its pretty hard to predict against ABR so early. I think hes gonna win after a harsh battle.
Sacri' vs Juuls Even tho Juuls is a capable player from what i've seen i think sacri might take this one thanks to his tour experience but Juuls might surprise us.
Empo vs Insult Insult played well in his last series but i can't go against Empo who played one of the best series of the last round.Insult can make it interesting but i think Empo is gonna win pretty convincingly.
TaceBreeze vs Ojama Tace is a pretty good player and won his last series but the kingpin is a better player imo, + he has more tour experience and Tace might be nervous ( hopefully he won't) so i'm gonna pick the Kingpin to take this one.
Zuchtrest vs Mob Barley I'm not really high on Mob's gameplay whereas i think Zuch is pretty good so i thinks hes gonna take it.
CaronSmith vs Googly I think Caron is better than Googly and knows this tier well enough to take this one, but googly can bring a A series and take this one too so its kinda a tough series.
hot meat vs Simia
Mimolette vs Malekith Mimo is my man but i'm really high on Malekith so i see him win this.I'm rooting for Mimo though so hopefully i'm wrong.
Ktütverde vs blarghlfarghl I'm not high on ktut's teams and gameplay and blargh is good enough to take this one imo.
Paycard vs Lopunny Kicks I think Paycard is way better than he shows in his SSD game and in his OLT series so if he can shows his best he might win, Lop Kicks is a very capable player though so he might take it too, its one of the closest game imo.
Zokuru vs Bro Kappa BK is better overall and knows the tier better than Zok so he might take this one imo, Zokuru can def win but i don't see him defeating BK.
Ash KetchumGamer vs XxKidofDeathxX Better player overall imo, i ain't a fan of Ash's teams and gameplay and KOD showed in the ladder that he can play this game at a high level so i think hes gonna win.
robopoke vs Twixtry Better player imo but Twixtry is not bad so he can take this one too.

I'm Playing SW on Sunday, time has to be determined.Hopefully it'll be a good one :bloblul:

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Eternal Spirit vs zugubu royale - Zugubu is coming off a strong showing round 1, completely dismantling Zokuru in two games, but Eternal Spirit played well against a much stronger opponent and is a proven player with obscenely good records so it's impossible to pick against him in this matchup regardless of what happened last round.

Hiye vs Kickasser - Both are very strong players that have put up some impressive results lately, but Kickasser seems to be more motivated and active from both a teambuilding and playing perspective, so I'm gonna pick him too come up with an upset here and prove his haters wrong. I was mistaken about him last round and am correcting that here.

Redemption vs ABR - Redemption is a fiery new player to the scene that will likely have tons of help from his fellow countrymen, but ABR is arguably the best SM player in this tour and is one of the most consistent players all around. I'm excited to see this series either way, but it's hard to pick against ABR here.

Sacri vs juuls - Juuls had a decent showing last round, but he's still way too much of an unknown to me compared to Sacri who's been on fire between starting wcop 3-0 and picking up right where he left off in OLT so I'm gonna have to go with the aggresive Frenchman in this matchup.

Empo vs Insult - I'm gonna get killed for picking against empo again, but insult showed that he can hang with the other players in this tour last round in his series against blargh and has excellent teambuilding support backing him up from sorry, so I'm gonna pick him up to play to his potential and pull off an upset against Empo.

TaceBreeze vs Ojama - Tace you my nigga but you're matched up against an actually good player this time around in Ojama who has shown that he can be dominant in any tier that he touches and focuses in on. I believe that Tace is capable of snatching a game from the kingpin, but it's still hard to pick him winning the set.

Zuchtrest vs Mob Barley - Both these guys pulled out really close series at the last second last round and even tho Mob ended up haxing to hax to win his g3 last round, he's still the more solid player in my eyes and I think he'll be able to use that to his advantage in this series. Zuchtrest is sure to pull out some cool teams, but I think mob's overall more consistent playstyle will let him squeak out a win in another close entertaining series here.

SoulWind vs Kory2600 - Both guys are amazing players in their own right, but Kory has really impressed me lately with both his improvements as a player and teambuilder and I think it's very hard to pick against him in most matchups. He's been on a tear lately and Soulwind is generally less practiced in SM compared to Kory so I'm gonna take kory to win the set.

Caronsmith vs Googly - Both players had a pretty disappointing round 1, but I still think that Caron is way better than Googly and this series is going to be a lot more decisive than people expect due to the skill gap between these two both in the teambuilding and playing aspects of the game.

Mimolette vs Malekith - This is a predict made largely on my gut considering how close Malekith came to dispatching Gama in round 1 along with his generally good history as a player, but Mimolette played a very respectable series against ABR and I think he'll be able to take down Malekith as long as he doesn't resort to using Tentacruel again.

Ktütverde vs blarghlfarghl - Both players lost last round, but Blargh is a much more solid player in my opinion and has more experience due to his recent wcop run, so he'll be able to overcome his previous struggles and take down Ktut as long as he plays with the high octane, aggresive style that suits him best in this series.

Paycard vs Lopunny Kicks - Here's another upset predict from me because I think that Paycard will be able to take down Punny seeing as he's coming off of taking a game off of Ojama and has a unique perspective on teambuilding stemming from his stint in the Ubers tier that will allow him to catch Punny off guard and win the set.

Zokuru vs Bro Kappa - Bro Kappa put up a decent showing last round, almost beating Mob Barley in a very close series while Zokuru got absolutely obliterated by zugubu royale last round, so I think this is a pretty easy predict to make. Also, I think that Bro Kappa's motivation to do well is very high in this tour because he wants to prove that he's good and can win without the cheating rumors that have plagued him.

Ash KetchumGamer vs XxKidofDeathxX - Both these players are a good bit better than people say they are and KOD has amazing teambuilding support behind him that will allow him to outprep Ash given enough time and even if they play early on, KOD has a solid collection of teams and is a much better player that will give him an advantage over Ash imo.

robopoke vs Twixtry - Apparently all my prior assumptions about robopoke were wrong, so it's going to be hard for me to pick him beating anyone after his round 1 performance and twixtry is a really solid player in spite of his round 1, so I'm gonna pick twix to get his first win here.

Sjneider vs Simia - I'm assuming that hot meat is gonna get subbed out because of his irl issues so Sjneider is going to go in and I'm predicting him to salvage hot meat's record and grabbing a win here because he's a very solid player that's active year round, albeit playing ORAS OU rather than SM, and I just think he's a good bit better than Simia.

Go Kitchen and den dudes :D

Slurp Slurp
1-0
Eternal Spirit
vs zugubu royale - Zugubu is a lord who showed vs zokuru he can use wild shit and win but i cant predict against es aka the prediction master

Hiye vs Kickasser - Hiye opened up a bodybag to bury Ash in r1 and although Kickasser is fire as well i'm gonna have to give this to Hiye

RedEmption vs ABR - Althought Red is off to a good start getting a win over cheese champion Googly i cant pick against the best usum ou player after Dokkerich

Sacri' vs Juuls - p obvious innit

Empo vs Insult - Huge fat highlight match for me, gonna root for my gunga man Lnsult but realistically Empo has more experience and is way
more proven in big tours so gonna have to give it to him
TaceBreeze vs Ojama - This might be a biased pick but Tace bodybagged Robopoke r1 and is the new hot god :swole:

Zuchtrest vs Mob Barley - Germans can't lose

SoulWind vs Kory2600 - This is looking like a few great games as well, imo soulwind has the edge here but it could go either way

0-1

CaronSmith vs Googly - "Best female pokemon player" -Chillshadow "how does caron prevent chansey from healing" -Patlop2307 clear goat here

Sjneider vs Simia - This is a weird game because idk what is going on here, i heard Sjneider is getting subbed in because Hot Meat has irl issues, if so Sjneider is gonna go in can snatch this win, if hot meat stays playing i think Simiatic has this

Mimolette vs Malekith - Mimoat is forced by a curse to always use 1 dogshit UU mon on every team but he makes it work so cant hate too much, also he has like the same name as me so he has to be the next best mons player

Ktütverde vs blarghlfarghl - blargh is the more proven player here but Ktut could easily pull of a surprise win here with his wild teams

Paycard vs Lopunny Kicks - Gonna be an interesting game but Punny is the better player and i have to dickride friends, its the rule of smogon

Zokuru vs Bro Kappa - If Bro Kappa builds well for this game he can have it p easily imo, hoping to see haxorus stall though

Ash KetchumGamer vs XxKidofDeathxX - A pretty obvious pick for me

robopoke vs Twixtry - I think robopoke can turn this around and cook something hot in the kitchen for this game, gonna be there to call every set "unset"

Give my spot to whoevers 9th
I don't know if you're going to change your mind tomorrow but in case you weren't otherwise then I'm going to give you a few reasons why you should remain in the tournament.

1) While 0-2 looks ugly, you only need to win 7 sets in a row now to win it all. That's far less than something like OST requires and I'm sure you don't mind signing up for those 11 rounds. Furthermore, if you win 3 series from here then you'd be on equal footing with everyone else remaining.

2) Quitting means you will have wasted all that time and energy you spent laddering.

3) If you quit, you look like a bitch. People would rather you change your mind than be a quitter. If you quit you probably will never get picked for a team tour or anything again. I can say personally, you'd entirely lose my respect by following through with this.

4) Most importantly, pokemon is fun! You don't wanna miss out on more opportunities to play do you?

I don't know if you're going to change your mind tomorrow but in case you weren't otherwise then I'm going to give you a few reasons why you should remain in the tournament.

1) While 0-2 looks ugly, you only need to win 7 sets in a row now to win it all. That's far less than something like OST requires and I'm sure you don't mind signing up for those 11 rounds. Furthermore, if you win 3 series from here then you'd be on equal footing with everyone else remaining.

2) Quitting means you will have wasted all that time and energy you spent laddering.

3) If you quit, you look like a bitch. People would rather you change your mind than be a quitter. If you quit you probably will never get picked for a team tour or anything again. I can say personally, you'd entirely lose my respect by following through with this.

4) Most importantly, pokemon is fun! You don't wanna miss out on more opportunities to play do you?
messi.jpg

I completely agree with ABR's opinion. And to sum up the main idea is that: Pokémon is just a game or a space where you go to reload batteries. I am not saying that being competitive is bad. All the way around!! Our current society primes this to obtain results and being someone. Healthy competition in a game allows you to learn new things and improve. Although this could be totally discussed, the main point of this text is that the goal of Pokémon is to have a time to enjoy. And in this standpoint you can never lose. Just your attitude makes you lose.

You have now an opportunity to play against incredible trainers and meet them in equal conditions. Enjoy it!! All the people that did not reach the top during the cycles are expecting to do so. Giving up is just (in my opinion) being disrespectful to other people that could not reach it.

You deserved it, now it is time to enjoy the experience and grow up as a trainer and as a human.

You can do it Pokemaniac! I will be rooting for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)