Snow Day (OU Hail Team DOUBLES)

Dear Smogon Community,
My goal as a team creator is to create the perfect team for each of the weather conditions. My best so far has been my Sandstorm team, which has lost but once when I was testing it. Little did I know that my opponant, even though I made it clear NO UBERS, was planning on using only ubers. My hail team, following this short messege, is my first attempt at a hail team ever. Even so, I am quite optimistic with it, as it covers many of it’s major weaknesses, it successfully uses hail to its complete advantage, and it is very, very powerful. So now I bring you, Snow Day.

Adamant Abomasnow@Lum Berry
Snow Warning
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Swords Dance-
-Protect- ice shard
-Wood Hammer-
-Earthquake-

Now, as much as I enjoy originality, there is literally no better way to set up a Hail storm then with the ability Snow Warning. So what I did was create what some people consider a very typical swords dance team, and set it as a lead. This Abomasnow can Swords Dance just as other Pokemon are setting up their Stealth Rocks and Spikes while its partner in crime can Spin them away. Bringing me to my favorite, however strange, lead in singles: Cloyster.

Adamant Cloyster@Life Orb
Skill link
160 HP/252 Atk/96 SpD
-Rapid Spin-
-Rock Blast-
-Explosion-
-Toxic Spikes-

There are multiple reasons for Cloyster being one of my favorite lead in singles. My favorite is that it is unpredictable. It has two great abilities, access to not only Spikes, but Toxic Spikes as well. It can be a great spinner, and when it is finished, it can explode and knock out those pesky sweepers. This Cloyster uses its ability Skill Link to dominate flying lead such as Togekiss. When other teams are setting up, so is Cloyster setting up Toxic Spikes to allow complete annoyance in other teams. Using two utility moves and two great attacking moves, this Cloyster can be a great lead off partner for Abomasnow.

Adamant Mamoswine@Liechi Berry Salac
Snow Cloak
252 Atk/252 HP/4 SpD
-Earthquake-
-Avalanche-
-Curse-
-Protect-

I’m not going to lie, Mamoswine is BY FAR my favorite Ice Type pokemon. I came to know and love the ground type when creating my Sandstorm team. Many Mammoos (Mammoo, Japanese name for Mamoswine, in my opinion a cooler name) are Special sweepers or walls. Mine is a simple Physical sweeper. Mammoo doesn’t need speed, so Curse is a gimme, then Avalanche and Earthquake as two amazing STAB moves for physical attacks, it's a no brainer. Lastly is the required move, in my opinion, for many Pokémon in Doubles is required. Protect. This allows it to be paired with almost any of my Pokémon including the exploders, so creating this set was easy as baking a pie… wait no that's actually hard… easy as making Toast.

Timid Froslass @Focus Sash
4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Destiny Bond-
-Blizzard-
-Shadow Ball-
-Thunder Wave-

Froslass is amazing. Ever since I saw her first in the Episode of the anime where she kidnapps meowth and Piplup to help find Snowrunt… But that's me rambling on about the Anime. I knew that I would want one of two pokemon for this slot. Froslass or Weavile. Even though I am a fan of Dark types (Umbreon is my favorite Eeveelution), and Weavile is a beast, Froslass is closer to my heart as she was the final member of my Pearl in game team. She is a great pokemon to have in any team as she is very versatile. Blizzard abuse in the Hail is very fun, and Shadow ball is great stab for her. Focus sash -> Destiny bond is killer if the sash activates and Thunder Wave can stop sweepers in their tracks. Literally. This ghost queen is truly cold.

Adamant Gliscor@Power Herb Stallrein (check smogon's set, it was mainly that)
Hyper Cutter
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
-Earthquake-
-Swords Dance-
-Protect-
-Sky Attack-

Here it is, Stallrein’s replacement, Gliscor. After thinking of many possible counters to Infernape and Machamp Gliscor was the best one to fit the bill. Many of you commented that Machamp would dominate this team along with Infernape, so I put together this (hopefully) original set. Earthquake is great to knock out Nape. Swords Dance boosts up Gliscor to be able to more easily take out that dreaded Machamp. Sky Attack is going to be mainly one use only, and a Sky Attack at full power should mean OHKO on ‘Champ, hence the Power Herb item choice. Protect is, again, completely neccisary on as many doubles pokemon as possible so that earns the last slot.

Hasty Heatran@Choice Scarf
Flash Fire
4 HP/252 Spe/252 SpA
-Explosion-
-Earth Power-
-Overheat- Flamethrower
-Dragon Pulse-

Its not r*pe if you say SURPRISE! Yup, surprise, Heatran can dominate because it can switch in on fire types and get the flash fire bonus or even knock out its fellow Heatran compadres with Earth Power, taking out a major enemy to Hail teams everywhere. As for the personal touch, over the past few months of playing Heart Gold and moving into the OU metagame, I have started to love the steel type. Scizor has started to grow on me, Steelix, not so much, but still, one of the reasons for this change of heart for me is Heatran. The fire/steel typing is great, the look of the beast just struck me as: HOLY CRAP I WANT ONE MOMMY! And now, I have found a way to incorporate it into a team in a way that I haven’t seen anyone do before. (If you did, great minds think alike right?)

So here ends my tale of Hail
and pokemon alike.
And I leave you this morning,
afternoon or this night.
And I’m good at crafting poems
Or so it comes to seem
Because this was made by typing randomly
Oh yeah, and RATE THIS TEAM!!

PS. Note, My rules are Standard + Item Clause Please take this into account if you wish to change Items, which is really wanted as my Item choices are very bad.

Changes in Bold, originals in Italics

Now, I'm far from an expert at this, but a few things I noticed:
- Cloyster packs Explosion, and you say it pairs up with Abomasnow nicely. In that case, I'd give Abomasnow Protect to prevent Cloyster from killing it when it blows up. Or, I misread it, and you only intend to use it when Cloyster is out together with Mamoswine/Froslass/Wallrein.
- You said Mamoswine didn't need speed, and you gave him Curse. In that case, the Salac Berry is a waste. I'd give him either a Liechi Berry or Brightpowder.

Right again, as I said i'm bad with items... Protect on Abomasnow is a good idea, Thanks

Changes in Bold Old things in italics

So, what do you do on Infernapes?
Most likely switch Heatran in, take any fire attacks, then Earth Power. I'm also Considering putting a Special Sweep Lapras in instead of Stallrein as this team is not stall in the least. SpSweep Lapras would have surf which could definitely beat up on Infernape

I have built a lot of OU Hail (Single) teams, and from what I see is that, machamp will sweep your team, no questions asked.

Even tailoring to counter machamp, say a Gyarados, Machamp's no guard dynamic Punch is still packs a big wreck on gyarados.

Same goes for Infernape. These 2 are the biggest counters to hail teams.

Just Heatran and Frolass to handle Fire and Fighting respectively while the other 5 dies helplessly isn't a good idea.

You might want to get more fire moves in the lineup, steel pokemons are going to wall and soak damage, not to mention scizor get nearly sweep with just bullet punch and resist/neutral your types.

Since your Heatran is just going to hit and run most of the time, consider overheat.
a boosted overheat is never fun even to those who resist it.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Not mini-modding, I dont think this team is especially good, but don't you have another RMT open at the same time, this is agains the rules you know

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)