SM PU SnowRock Offense

Hey guys, and welcome to my first ever RMT, I guess. I think this team is pretty fun and it's got a lot of promise, but I could use some help making it the best it can be so let's just jump right into it.

Teambuilding Process

When I made this team, I made it knowing I wanted to build it around these two. Lycanroc's awesome attack stat, access to priority that hits some of the bulkier mons in the tier like Articuno and Altaria hard for super-effective STAB damage, it's great speed tier, outspeeding threats like Dodrio and A-Dugtrio, and the ability to bust past its walls like Tangela with a +2 Z-move, makes it a fantastic mon to use. Bulky physical walls and ground types, however, give it trouble, so pairing it with Abomasnow made perfect sense. It's such a shame this mon is still unranked in the tier; it's one of the best wallbreakers in the game with a powerful life orb 100% accurate Blizzard, and the ability to blow back common hail checks with Giga Drain, Abomasnow covers Lycanroc's weaknesses well. Overall, the two tear holes in to almost any opposing team.

I felt like what this team needed next was a couple of pivots, so I chose Jellicent. Scarfed Primeape 2-shots this core entirely, so I wanted one of its best checks on my team.

Claydol is a pretty underrated Pokemon in the tier. Its 60/105/120 defenses make it hard to OHKO in a tier where some of the biggest offensive threats don't even push past 100 attack./special attack Its access to Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin offered good role compression; setting up rocks would prove key in ensuring both Abomasnow and Lycanroc pick up their KO's without taking too much damage, and keeping rocks off my side of the field especially helps Abomasnow come in.

At this point I needed a scarfer, and an offensive one at that. I also figured some spikes pressure would help out my offensive core. So I decided to pair Primeape with the only dark type spike-user in the tier: Cacturne. The idea is to use Primeape to pick off anything faster than Lycanroc. It'll naturally lure in bulky psychic types like Musharna and Mesprit, which don't appreciate a Dark Pulse from Cacturne's great special attack stat. I can also use Primeape's access to U-turn to bring in Cacturne on bulky waters, and set up spikes on the switch.

So, uh, I don't know how else to say this, but fuck Cacturne. Playtesting this team, it did not work out as I had hoped. I can explain why in one simple calc:
Code:
0- Atk Mesprit U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cacturne: 288-340 (102.4 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Cacturne was replaced with a better spikes user, Qwilfish.

Set details

Code:
Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z 
Ability: Steadfast 
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
- Swords Dance 
- Accelerock 
- Stone Edge 
- Drill Run
Standard, yes, but my favorite Lycanroc set. Edge/Quake coverage gives it neutral damage over the entire tier. Going Splintered Stormshards gives this pokemon a way to blow past bulkier mons that would normally be more annoying. For example:
Code:
252 Atk Lycanroc Splintered Stormshards vs. 136 HP / 0 Def Drampa: 325-384 (98.1 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Lycanroc Splintered Stormshards vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 337-397 (97.9 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Lycanroc Splintered Stormshards vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Audino: 321-378 (78.4 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery
This set does what Lycanroc does best, punch a hole in teams midgame or sweep late game.

Code:
Abomasnow @ Life Orb 
Ability: Snow Warning 
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe 
Naive Nature 
- Blizzard 
- Giga Drain 
- Earthquake 
- Ice Shard
Another fairly standard set, but again, it brings out the best in this mon. As I mentioned, LO Blizzard and Giga Drain are hard to switch into. Ice shard does a surprising amount of damage to the frailer, more offensive members of the team. I've on more than one occasion thought about running HP Fire over EQ to catch Alolan Sandslash on the switch, but as it is now, EQ hits Alolan Sandslash for good damage and threatens bulkier Skunktanks.

Code:
Jellicent @ Colbur Berry 
Ability: Water Absorb 
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe 
Bold Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Scald 
- Taunt 
- Recover 
- Will-O-Wisp
Jellicent is one of the best mixed walls in the tier, and this set brings that out. With enough speed to outspeed an unboosted Carracosta before Shell Smash, its bulk allows it to switch in on basically any resisted, neutral, or non-STAB move in the tier. I run Colbur Berry because, as we'll see, this team feels weak to Gurdurr. Being able to take in to one Knock Off and get some damage off on the special side is handy.

Code:
Claydol @ Leftovers 
Ability: Levitate 
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD 
Bold Nature 
- Stealth Rock 
- Rapid Spin 
- Protect 
- Psyshock
This is a variation on one of my personal favorite Claydol sets. The EVs make sure that AV Hitmonchan's Ice Punch always does less than 50% damage while still giving it good special bulk. Protect gives this mon a kind of reliable recovery, as well as the ability to scout opposing sets. Rocks and Spin like I mentioned earlier. Psychock is there to hit Hitmonchan and Lanturn for more chip.

Code:
Primeape @ Choice Scarf 
Ability: Defiant 
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
- Close Combat 
- U-turn 
- Earthquake 
- Stone Edge
Now that Lilligant is gone (sad, imo, but I get it), Primeape has no real reason to run Gunk Shot. So I took the standard scarf set and replaced Gunk Shot with EQ. This Pokemon has excellent speed and power. Plus its ability Defiant means opponents have to think twice before defogging my hazards away, something both Lycanroc and Abomasnow really appreciate.

Code:
Qwilfish @ Black Sludge 
Ability: Intimidate 
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
- Scald 
- Spikes 
- Destiny Bond 
- Poison Jab
I used to like a more offensive Qwilfish set: Spikes/Liquidation/Taunt/Explosion with max speed, max attack, and a focus sash. But a bulkier makes more sense for this team. Intimidate + Scald punishes many of the most common physical attackers in the tier, with Destiny Bond playing the role Explosion once did. Poison Jab is nice because it hits Lurantis and Silvally-Fairy for decent damage.

Threats
Without a dark type on the team, bulky psychic types end up being a problem. On balance or bulky offense teams, Lycanroc and Abomansow can usually bust through the occasional threat, but up against full on stall with Bronzor or Duosion it gets... challenging to say the least. Though between Lycanroc, Abomasnow, and Jellicent, I might have all the tools to beat stall and just be bad at playing against it.

Also, Gurdurr just destroys this team. I can't count on them being Iron Fist over guts, so burning it isn't an option. A combination of Mach Punch and Knock Off takes care of this entire team, save Qwilfish, which is frail enough to be picked off by any other Pokemon on a Gurdurr team anyway. Yet, I'm at a loss as to which mons I should actually change, and for what.

Finally, Regirock, sometimes. It's not a "threat" so much as an annoyance. These calcs show why:
Code:
252 Atk Primeape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 180+ Def Regirock: 152-180 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 180+ Def Regirock: 144-170 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Regirock: 234-276 (64.2 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Regirock Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 204-242 (63.5 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Regirock Earthquake vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 163-192 (60.1 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Regirock Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lycanroc: 204-240 (70.1 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It takes hits from the offense part of this offense team and deals massive damage in return. Its lack of recovery so mean I can wear it down with Jellicent and Claydol + hazards, but it's not enough a lot of the time, especially when there seems to be no room to run Toxic anywhere.

Full team
The team can be copy/pasted here: https://pokepast.es/c20dc2001ce82b42

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello Violet Riachu,

Your core idea seems fun, Abomasnow is actually ranked A- in the USUM PU Viability Rankings. It is a good underutilized threat for sure, it faces a lot of competition with Aurorus who has more set versatility. You call this team offense but it seems to focus a lot on defensive utility which is something offense needs to do as best it can, but I feel you started to fall off of offensive thinking when you added the Jellicent. With that in mind when considering changes I put the focus on regaining offensive thinking while keeping checks to as much as possible. Going in I tried keeping Spikes, but the offensive core made it very hard as you were still weak to Gurdurr. I have remedied this teams weakness to Gurdurr but had to remove Spikes to make it all jell together. I also feel the biggest threat to this team other then Gurdurr, would be the combination of Aurorus and Alolan Sandslash. You have no counter play to Freeze Dry and Jellicent being your best option against Alolan Sandslash you can see how that team style can really snowball your team very quickly.

--->

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Jellicent could have been changed to Night Shade Sableye here if you wanted to go in a more balanced direction, it would help keep Spikes as it spin blocks very well and counters Gurdurr. It seems like you want to take this team in a very offensive direction from the title so getting rid of Stealth Rock Claydol for offensive Stealth Rock Mesprit helps with the Gurdurr weakness it also helps lure in Alolan Sandslash which this team is a bit vulnerable too. It brings in Defoggers, but it also has the option to go for chip damage as it helps your team come through, with one of its many win conditions.

--->

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Alolan Sandslash is a good replacment over Claydol as they provide a lot of the same utility. Alolan Sandslash actually pairs well offenisvly with Abomasnow as Snow Warning lets it take advantage of Slush Rush. It also helps in the battle against bulky Psychic-types. It adds another Fighting-type weakness but that can be remedied, Icium Z can be used to do massive damage to Mesprit and Musharna at +2 but Lycan can already achieve that, if you keep on the offensive pressure bulky Psychic-types should not be too much of an issue. This also helps you a lot with Aurorus.

--->

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Oricorio-Pom-Pom fits well offensively and defensively being able to weaken Steel-types for the other members of your team. With Hidden Power Fighting it helps bring in Alolan Sandslash and weaken it in range of priority. Oricorio has a good matchup against stall and counters Gurdurr, so it helps with a lot of the problems you were facing. Taunt over Hidden Power Fighting will guarantee you wins against stall, but I think Alolan Sandslash in Hail would be a huge Problem for your team if it gets the chance to get to +2 attack, as it cleans your whole team at +2. The way the team is set up now does not allow it to get to set up easily, you just have got to be careful with Primeape as if it locked into any move other then Close Combat or Earthquake it can then set up in the hail and proceed to get at least 3 kills.

Team changes and final thoughts.

Hello Violet Riachu,

Your core idea seems fun, Abomasnow is actually ranked A- in the USUM PU Viability Rankings. It is a good underutilized threat for sure, it faces a lot of competition with Aurorus who has more set versatility. You call this team offense but it seems to focus a lot on defensive utility which is something offense needs to do as best it can, but I feel you started to fall off of offensive thinking when you added the Jellicent. With that in mind when considering changes I put the focus on regaining offensive thinking while keeping checks to as much as possible. Going in I tried keeping Spikes, but the offensive core made it very hard as you were still weak to Gurdurr. I have remedied this teams weakness to Gurdurr but had to remove Spikes to make it all jell together. I also feel the biggest threat to this team other then Gurdurr, would be the combination of Aurorus and Alolan Sandslash. You have no counter play to Freeze Dry and Jellicent being your best option against Alolan Sandslash you can see how that team style can really snowball your team very quickly.

--->

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stealth Rock

Jellicent could have been changed to Night Shade Sableye here if you wanted to go in a more balanced direction, it would help keep Spikes as it spin blocks very well and counters Gurdurr. It seems like you want to take this team in a very offensive direction from the title so getting rid of Stealth Rock Claydol for offensive Stealth Rock Mesprit helps with the Gurdurr weakness it also helps lure in Alolan Sandslash which this team is a bit vulnerable too. It brings in Defoggers, but it also has the option to go for chip damage as it helps your team come through, with one of its many win conditions.

--->

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Alolan Sandslash is a good replacment over Claydol as they provide a lot of the same utility. Alolan Sandslash actually pairs well offenisvly with Abomasnow as Snow Warning lets it take advantage of Slush Rush. It also helps in the battle against bulky Psychic-types. It adds another Fighting-type weakness but that can be remedied, Icium Z can be used to do massive damage to Mesprit and Musharna at +2 but Lycan can already achieve that, if you keep on the offensive pressure bulky Psychic-types should not be too much of an issue. This also helps you a lot with Aurorus.

--->

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Oricorio-Pom-Pom fits well offensively and defensively being able to weaken Steel-types for the other members of your team. With Hidden Power Fighting it helps bring in Alolan Sandslash and weaken it in range of priority. Oricorio has a good matchup against stall and counters Gurdurr, so it helps with a lot of the problems you were facing. Taunt over Hidden Power Fighting will guarantee you wins against stall, but I think Alolan Sandslash in Hail would be a huge Problem for your team if it gets the chance to get to +2 attack, as it cleans your whole team at +2. The way the team is set up now does not allow it to get to set up easily, you just have got to be careful with Primeape as if it locked into any move other then Close Combat or Earthquake it can then set up in the hail and proceed to get at least 3 kills.

Team changes and final thoughts.
Hey thanks so much for the RMT. I playtested your version of the team for a while, swapping Oricorio's HP Fighting with Taunt and I have to say it's been going really well. If I make the right reads and keep momentum it's really easy to blow through teams. I love it, thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)